Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slayers Step
Slayers Step
I know Bob wants to do something with a Slayer's step.
But which timeline will Bob use?
The Novels?(After Hellmaster(Amelia and Zel leave and are not seen again), Lina faces Dynast and then another piece of Ruby Eye)
The Manga?(The Knight of the Aqualrod. Lina gets downpowered. All black magic, save two spells(obvious which ones those are), are unable to be cast and no talismans. Eventually she gets the power of the Windlord and easily makes up for the loss. Zelgadis and Xellos are missing, but we get Amelia. And Knight tramples the Zel/Lina pairing flat, since Lina and Gourry are shown to be a couple.)
The Anime?(We all know how that goes)
The Computer-RPGs?(Lina has to fight Rei Magnus or better known as Buka-S the Demon King of the North)

I mangaed to pick up the last two volumes of Slayers: Knight of the Aqulord(Six volumes total) and with what happened with CPM, I'm going to have to do my own translation work.
Sasuga(www.sasugabooks.com/) has all volumes of Knight of the Aqualord right now. If they are missing one or two, here are the ISBNs:
1. 4-04-712328-5
2. 4-04-712340-4
3. 4-04-712350-1
4. 4-04-712357-9
5. 4-04-712372-2
6. 4-04-712386-2
It looks to be fun.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Re: Slayers Step
Well, since all I've actually seen has been the first 6 or 8 eps of the series, and a couple of the movies, that's the only continuity I have to work with...

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
The Slayers cosmology in general makes my brain hurt, since it's one of the few series I can think of that has more than one animated series associated with it, across multiple universes within the same setting.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
If Slayers makes your head hurt, you don't even want to know about Transformers. 19 different continuities, IIRC - probably more, since it was a while back I tallied them up.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I was thinking more about the fact that Slayers and Lost Universe not only take place in the same overarching multiverse, they CROSS OVER.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Um... still have you beat with Transformers - 19+ continuites, and the the Beast Machines alt-uni that grew out of Beast Wars series ending temporal damage crossed over with Reboot. Apparently, Mainframe and the Web are on that iteration of Cybertron somewhere.
At least, this is my understanding, form other people's discussions - I never watched past about the middle of the first season of Beast Wars, since while it served the purpose of getting transforming robots back in vogue again, it never felt like 'real' Transformers with the animal transformations... and the toys were as a general rule on the lame side, with very few exceptions. There wasn't a single one between the end of Generation 2 and the beginning of Car Robot (Robots in Disguise when it came to the US) that really made me jump up and say "wow, that's a cool toy!" - and even then, I had to add some post holes to Fire Convoy and God Maximus so they could combine using ALL the Super Fire Convoy armor bits to do that.
(Super God of Firepower Convoy does truly rock, however, even if he did need some modding to be realized. He makes Unicron and Dark Nova look outumbered on his own, let alone now that he has Armada Prime plus Spacepants and Battleshirt and Energon Omega Supreme and Skysaber-gattai Energon Prime for backup, let alone 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, the original, best, and only bearer of the "optimus" name on my toy shelf - even Lazer Prime from G2 got downgraded to subcommander status in the face of His Diecast Mightiness. The various Decepticon big toys sharing the evil end with Unicron and his goth recolor don't even come close to evening the scales of awesomeness. Maybe if there was an original Megatron among them, but I don't have $500+ to get one of those on the collector's market, and a real-looking toy gun is not about to be reissued.)
- CD (My parenthetical comments shall conquer the world!)What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, the original, best, and only bearer of the "optimus" name on my toy shelf
Truly, the best of the Optimus Prime toys. I haven't watched any Transformers regularly since season 1, but I still think this toy is one of the best ones.
Balentius
Personally. I find it easier to keep track of 20 someodd different continuities than remembering that Gourry's sword is actually the larval form for a god of absolute destruction and mayhem in another universe (Gorun Nova, Dark Star).
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quote:
Personally. I find it easier to keep track of 20 someodd different continuities than remembering that Gourry's sword is actually the larval form for a god of absolute destruction and mayhem in another universe (Gorun Nova, Dark Star).
Not quite. The Darkstar weapons were the five Dark Lord servitors of Dark Star. They were changed into those weapons to contain their powers. Their own bodies were turned into prisions.
--------------------
Been a few years.. so my details were a bit iffy.
Still a real nasty piece of work.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Bob said:
Quote:
Well, since all I've actually seen has been the first 6 or 8 eps of the series, and a couple of the movies, that's the only continuity I have to work with...
If it helps, the first 10 episodes form a self-contained story. (I believe they adapt one novel, but I'm not sure.) No Naga, Amelia or Xellos, but all the other fan-favourite characters are in those first 10 episodes.
Oh, yes: here's what's possibly the best Slayers reference site...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I still haven't seen Amelia in anything, although I've seen Naga in the movies. Am I correct in interpreting Amelia (from what I've read) as a parody of Sailor Moon?
And thanks for the link -- I'm going to have to check that out later.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Amelia is the second most aggressive passifist I've ever seen.
Her father is the first.
I think 'batdrek insane' is a better description than 'Sailor Moon parody.'
(Pacifist CRUSH!)
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Phil is probably certifiably nuts, 'though there might be some hope for Amelia. Lina and Zelgadis may not be ideal role models but they're not naive. Even Gourry, jelly-fish for brains that he is, has a better understanding of how the world works.
I think that's most of Amelia's problem. She's been around Phil so much that her world view has been kind of warped.
The best way to describe it is to use the scene in The Incredibles where Helen explains to the kids the difference between Saturday morning cartoons and real villians. No one has had that talk with Amelia yet.
Firvualg,
--
"You can have fun putting Cadbury Creme Eggs in a microwave. Put two in,
switch on, and take bets on which will reach the roof of the microwave
first. Hint: make sure it's not your microwave." -- Tanuki
Amelia
Amelia does grow up over the series - as shown by her rather underwhelmed response to the "Village of Heroes" in Slayers Try.
She does learn that the real world isn't a storybook (whatever that means, when we're talking about a fictional character) - but she still seems to wish it was.
That's actually pretty scary in someone who is, let's face it, pretty powerful. She seems weak comparted to Lina, but Lina goes up against gods on a regular basis and is powerful enough to destroy the world.
Re: Amelia
Ah, I haven't seen Try[0]. Does she ever stop perching on top of things for her speaches?
[0]They wrote Sylphiel out again, damn them.
--
A normally dressed person just couldn't get away with saying things like "I am
the terror that flaps in the night! I am the expiration date on the milk carton
of villainy!" I mean, without the cape, the suit and the hat -- it just
doesn't work. - Tony Smith, on superhero dialogue
Quote:
I still haven't seen Amelia in anything, although I've seen Naga in the movies. Am I correct in interpreting Amelia (from what I've read) as a parody of Sailor Moon?
Let me put it this way: The Japanese spell her family name and city of origin "Sailoon"...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, that was one of my clues. That, and the speechifying.

-- Bob
---------
And if you want to see her in a Sailor Senshi knockoff, watch Slayers Next.
Lina Inverse is also dressed up like a sailor senshi
aaanime.net/pmak/amelia/i...mlin1b.jpg
aaanime.net/pmak/amelia/i...limg12.jpg
As to Amelia's perching on poles in Slayers Try. I can only recall her doing it once when she first arrived in the outer world. After that, she stayed pretty much sane and calm. Except when she beat Xellos with a megaphone.
If you really want to drive Doug nuts, have him meet Prince Phil. His attacks:
Pacifist Crush, Kindness to All Creatures Kick, Good Will Towards Men Smash, All Men Brothers: Hand in Hand, Giant Benevolent Swing, Paternal Love Flying Burst Leap.
--------------------
(re: pics) Yeah, that's pretty obvious, isn't it?
Doug would probably lambaste Phil for being a hypocrite...

-- Bob
---------
I don't think he has a mean bone in his body....
...He's just insane...
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Just like The Tick.

-- Bob
---------
"Sanity is a one-trick pony."
--Sam
"Sanity, you're a madman!"
The Tick isn't as bad as Phil.
From the novel Battle of Seyruun: After a corpse of an assassin blew up when his buddies planted a bomb on him Phils said soemthing that truly puts him in the delusional category.
An upset Phil: Mmm. In all my years, no one has ever been so moved by my words, so aggrieved by their evil deed they exploded out of sheer shame.
Phil truly believed that the assassin blew up due to his speech.

Ah yes, something that I almost forgot.
Luna Inverse(Lina's big sister) is named after the moon cat Luna from Sailor Moon. The creator of Slayers fully admitted this.
--------------------
Okay, how much more Sailor Moon is buried in Slayers?
Maybe Gourry will start tossing roses in a future installment.

-- Bob
---------