Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Anime Steps
Re: Doom
Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series, maybe?
(Split Infinity, Blue Adept, Juxtaposition, Out of Phaze, Robot Adept, Unicorn Point, Phaze Doubt)--
Sukael
If I had something nifty to say, it would be said here.
--
[Image: image,Sukael,white,black.png]
Re: Doom
Ooh, that one's a bit of a mess, what with its own dimension-jumping and all.
It would be fun to see Doug at the game computer, and what he ends up getting, though...

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Re: Non-Anime Steps
Let's drop Doug into the nonsense that was the Spider-man clone wars and Ben Reily. Spider Man being the clone. No it was Ben who was the clone. The death of Aunt May Parker and the revelation that Norman Osbourne was the one behind the clone wars to begin with and wasn't really dead, he was just buried alive. The kidnapping and apparent murder of Spider-Man's and Mary J's baby girl May. Finding out that the Aunt May who died was an actress hired by Norman.
Hmm. Maybe that's a bit too wacky for even Doug to deal with.
The Parsina line of books by Stephen Goldin might be a better choice.
I don't know if Bob has read the Dragonlance saga. Paladine/Fizban would eventually win Doug's respect.
"The balance has been restored. You think that good should win and sweep all evil away? There was a time when good held dominion. It was right before the Great Cataclysm. Surprised? The Kingpriest of Ishtar was a good man. We cried for the innocent. We cried for the guilty, but the world had to be prepared for her (Tahkis) coming. And so, we sent the flaming mountain."
The War of Souls trilogy had Paladine give up his diety status to save all mortals, both good and evil, from Tahkis
I think Doug would have REAL problems with the Towers of High Sorcery and their insistence on all mages following their creed.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
No, thank you -- except maybe for Teen Titans, I've pretty much decided I'm keeping Doug well away from standard superhero worlds. I think he works best when he's at least at minor odds with the native genre of the world he's in.
Quote:
I don't know if Bob has read the Dragonlance saga.
I read the first... three or so? ... I think, back long ago when they originally came out. And some of the supporting short stories, back when I was still subscribing to Dragon magazine. I didn't read most of the endless stream of additional books.
Quote:
Paladine/Fizban would eventually win Doug's respect.
Oh, yeah. For exactly the same reason Hexe has, and because it takes the kind of sense of humor Doug reveres to take on the kind of mortal shell that Paladine did.
Quote:
I think Doug would have REAL problems with the Towers of High Sorcery and their insistence on all mages following their creed.
If they pushed him about it, it's likely that the next morning there would be the Piles Of Rubble Of High Sorcery instead...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
If they pushed him about it, it's likely that the next morning there would be the Piles Of Rubble Of High Sorcery instead...
Finding Wayerth would be a problem and the tower at Palanthas has that fear aura. The Ishtar Tower is in some pocket dimension(comic book) and unavailable to the Wizards
The Wizards of High Sorcery would quickly get on Doug's case. The three gods of magic: Solinari, Luintari, and Nuintari have set up rules in how magic is supposed to work and have their followers remove any that don't play by their rules. Death or force them to join the Conclave. The Test of High Sorcery has had people choose magic over their own family.
Even now in the current books, those three dieties are trying to remove both Mysticism(very low priority, since it works with the world) and Sorcery(they call it Wild Magic and is a very high priority) from the world now that they have returned to Krynn. Those magics are not granted by the gods and so are dangerous to the world.
--------------------
Brainstorming some ideas for Non-Anime Steps
Doug winds up in a world of anthromorphic cats and finds the world has a pair of heroes that go by the name SWATKats. and fly around in a jet that puts the Avengers Quinjets to shame.
iS that April O'Niel and the Teenage Mutnat Ninja Turtles over here?
How about Thundarr the Barbarian?
Maybe Doug could meet the Quest team of Johnny Quest
Marshall, Will, and Holly on a routine expedition faced the greatest earthquake ever known. High atop a mountain, it shook their tiny raft and plunged ten thousand feet below. Now they're living in the Land of the Lost. Smile Doug gets to dodge Dinosaurs and Sleestaks. The crystals from that subdimension would be of great interest to him.
Maybe Doug can meet a dragon with a globular head and vestigial wings: H.R. Puffnstuff

Maybe Doug could wind up in Tranquility Forest and hear the Bugaloos singing and help them make friends with Benito Bizzare.
OR he could wind up in a world of talking hats: Liddsville
Doug could wind up in the world of the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon.(It's not Japanese anime, but a US cartoon)
Hulk Hogan's Rock N' Wrestling cartoon.
Look, it's a talking, orange dunebuugy that is being used as a racecar. It's Speed Buggy.
Doug winds up in a world where the only 'heroes' chase down ghosts for a very large fee. Ray Stanz, Peter Vekman, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, and Slimer. The Real Ghostbusters.
Jason of Star Command
Moonbase Alpha of Space: 1999. The moon is traveling at FTL speeds through the galaxy.
--------------------
Re: Brainstorming some ideas for Non-Anime Steps
You do realize that unless medical technology changes dramatically in the next few decades, I only have about 40 or 50 more years left to write in, right?

-- Bob
---------
Yes. I do understand that you can't write all of theese steps. Heck, you won't be able to use all of the songs that have been listed so far.
I was just coming up with a bunch of places that you could pick and choose to keep the balance between Anime and Non-Anime steps.
Isn't that what this thread was about? ^_^
At any rate, there are other writers here that could pick up one of the ideas and do a Drunkard's Stagger step.
You COULD head over to the Anime Addventure and toss offf a single episode and see how the writers will use Doug. mmm. Maybe not, there is a Ranma infection over there that needs to be purged. Bleh. ^_^
Back to Silver Restrike and Iczer Nagisa.
Yes, my name is different on the Addventure than here.
(Disruptor)
--------------------
" You do realize that unless medical technology changes dramatically in the next few decades, I only have about 40 or 50 more years left to write in, right?"

The way I look at it, were approaching singularity in the next 30 years ANYWAYS.
So if we dont get functional immortality in the next half-century, its not going to happen at all.
Just what I need. The rest of time to be bored in.

-- Bob
---------
Bored? With powers the gods would envy at your command? You've got more imagination than that.
Come the singularity, you might well be able to whip up a private universe in your basement - atom sized on the outside, a trillion light years wide on the inside (we already know how, apart from some minor engineering problems) - then download yourself into its planck-scale substructure, becoming a brain vaster than galaxies - and all the planets of that universe would be shaped by your whims. You could make every story ever told real, and set a myriad Dougs hopping amongst a trilion worlds once fictional, for our idle amusement.
Alternatively, you might spend your days struggling to avoid having your mind devoured by hyper-intelligent spam (aka Vinge's Blight) while uncaring powers are dismantling the very earth under your feet. and plucking the sun from the sky. (All that silicon beneath us would be better used for computation, and dismantling the sun would let us make much more efficient use of its hydrogen - 50 times as much power from each gram.)
That would be a moderately unpleasant fate, but at least you wouldn't be in any danger of getting bored.
Explanation for the clueless, please - "singularity?"
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
my guess its like "subliming"... only a lot more sooner.
in short a short hop to a higher plane of existence O_o?_____________________________
Shepard Book: The special hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk in cinemas.
Subliming comes from the same memepool, but the singularity is rather less mystical.
At its heart is the commonplace observation that progress is accelerating. Once, half a million years could go by, and leave proto-human culture unchanged. In ancient times a thousand years could pass without any technological inovation. Even the industrial revolution stretched over generations.
Now change comes at breakneck speed -from the Wright brothers to Apollo within a single lifetime - and it's not slowing down.
Where will it stop? Will it stop, short of the limits of the physically posssible? (and they are wider than most people dream) Technology indistinguishable from magic may be the least we can expect.
Any technological progress puts an horizon on our predictions since forecasters can't account for technologies not yet invented. As the pace of change quickens, that horizon comes ever closer, and its impact grows greater.
If the limits of predictability are five hundred years out, no one need care; if that horizon lies fifty years out life will change radically over your lifetime; if it's five years out most things change beyond recognition every five years, making long term planning difficult.
If the technology curve goes near vertical, the horizon can fall to minutes or less, as much change as in the entire history of mankind, every single second, and still accelerating.
That would be a singularity.
If you want a plausible mechanism, consider computers. We have a good idea now how good a computer the human brain is, how many megabytes and megahertz we'd need to equal it. The best supercomputers today work out to be ant-equivalent, so the current idiocy of computers is hardly suprising.
A simple extrapolation shows that in 30-40 years we will have computers comparable with the human brain. A little later, most of the computing power on the planet will be artificial. Use that computing power to work out how to make better computers and you have a positive feedback loop, which takes off once most of the computing power isn't in human brains.
This brief sketch does skates over a number of weaknesses, but its an intriguing idea, which has made for some good SF.
For a better account, go to the source -
www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~pho...-sing.html
Googling on Vinge will reveal a lot more on the subject.
Bah. Weapons technology is what advances the fastest of all, so all that means is that we're likely to see our own extinction - though as noted with less and less forewarning.
*IF* humanity, as a whole, can decide that other things are more interesting than killing each other in new and interesting ways... well, maybe. I'm not holding my breath, though I fully expect we'll see the result one way or the other within this century.
- CD has been a bitter disillusioned old man since about when junior high physics crushed the dreams of mecha, spaceflight, and hyperscience in general.What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
You'd be shocked. Biowarfare isn't anywhere near as thorough as people usually think - 1% survival out of six billion people is still a fucking lot, more than enough to pick up the pieces barring a whole string of acts of -complete- idiocy.
Nukes? Not near as many around as there used to be, and again, people really overestimate these.
Nanoclasym? It's a -lot- easier to take a Gobbler apart than it is to build one.
About the only thing I can think of as being really practicable would be a fucking huge falling rock, and by the time we get that far, I expect we'll have both nanotech and a fairly serious offworld population base.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Re: re:Brainstorming some ideas for Non-Anime Steps
Quote:
Bah. Weapons technology is what advances the fastest of all, so all that means is that we're likely to see our own extinction - though as noted with less and less forewarning.

The trend toward weaponry is toward precision nowadays. And only fanatics would consider launching a nuclear strike. Unfortunately, there's plenty of them around.
Quote:
About the only thing I can think of as being really practicable would be a fucking huge falling rock, and by the time we get that far, I expect we'll have both nanotech and a fairly serious offworld population base.
Ah, yess...Operation Meteor...
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: re:Brainstorming some ideas for Non-Anime Steps
Actrually, if you WERE to set a stagger or a step in Callahans, post Key, I should point out that if you actually read the description, the Place is outdoors. There are like 6 cotteges on the lot, which was why it was kind of hard to move. Not enough units for a motel, to many for strictly residential, that sort of thing.
But the salient point is that The Place (and its about time, too *rimshot*) at least the 'working' sections are outdoors. There is cover for the serving station area proper, in case of bad weather, but for the most part its open air, with tables arranged around the pool, IIRC, with the barbeque taking over for the old fireplace in reguards to toast, etc."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
there's a whole thread on the 60's shows that can be done as a step:
Like:
"The Addam's Family"
"My Favorite Martian" (I like this one personally)
"The Munsters"
"Bewitched"...the concept of a techno-mage (which Doug is) in that universe would be interesting
"I Dream of Jeannie"...Doug working for NASA? Doug meets Jeannie's evil sister?
"The Time Tunnel"...heh, Doug gets pulled into an adventure with the 2 scientists floating in time.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Addams Family
TV Guide Saturday, October 23, through Friday, October 29, 1965
Friday - continued from p. 99
8:30 pm: (ABC)The Addams Family "Drunkard's Stagger #?: A Family Affair"
Comedy. A new neighbor watches the children while the Addamses are on Jury Duty.
(CBS)The Munsters "I'm Still a Teenage Dummy Plug II: Me and Lilith . . . Munster"
Comedy. Distant cousin "Amy" Munster helps Lily prepare for a beauty pageant.
(NBC)Convoy "Wolf Pack and Coyotes"
War/Drama. Captain Foster must convince Commander Talbot to treat strange castaways adrift in the Bermuda Triangle while U-Boats stalk the convoy.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Addams Family
I thought Legend of Gilligan Heroes was on in that time slot - maybe it was 8PM? You know, it was the ep where they almost got out of the tomb complex, but Gilligan had to collapse the tunnel with a wacky martial arts technique.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

--
TV Schedule
Actually, those are the correct shows (if not the episodes) for the Friday 8:30 time slot in the fall of '65 on all three major networks.
Convoy was a war drama set in the Atlantic Ocean during WWII. The recurring ships were the Freighter "Flagship" and a Destroyer whose number escapes me. The metacrossover I was playfully poking at was Ed Becerra's.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Re: TV Schedule
So... you gonna be writing these?

-- Bob
---------
Well, IWATDP and its Incarna cross come first, but I'd like to do the first two. I don't know enough about either Convoy or Mr. Becerra's megacrossover, nor do I have his permission, to write "Wolf Packs and Coyotes"

-- James Nicoll
Cool. Take your time.

-- Bob
---------