Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Son of Really *weird* places for a Step...
Son of Really *weird* places for a Step...
Okay, since the other thread was getting long, I'm locking it and redirecting my responses to this new thread.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: Dr. Slump
nemonowan said:
Quote:
It was an 18-volume manga and a long-running hit TV anime by Akira Toriyama. ... You can find the first two manga volumes scanlated at :
www.toriyamaworld.com/drslump/
if you want to check it up a bit.
Thanks, I will. The description does sound rather... odd. Which, of course, is the kind of thing I like.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Future Steps: Sakura Taisen
ordnance11 said:
Quote:
The TV series takes place in OVA1 timeline. It fleshed out the characters and the main villain.
Well, good. That's the only thing I disliked about the first OVA -- how it seemed to just end in the middle of things.
Quote:
Your tentative title "Nine Flowers and a Weed" suggests that. If you exclude Ohgami from the group, there's only eight members of the Hanagumi. If you add Rachette Altair, that makes it nine.
No, I mean the basic OVA2 crew -- 8 girls and Ohgami are the flowers, Doug is the "weed".
Quote:
Having Doug in Paris..now that has possibilities.
Oh yeah. Some of my possible Noir Step might take place in Paris. It's been almost 30 years since I was there, but it would be fun to visit again for "research purposes".
Hmm. Gotta suggest that to Peggy.
Quote:
Here's a link to all things Sakura Taisen
Thanks! I haven't checked it out yet. Would that be the site which has the photos of the in-costume "goodbye" stage show for Michie Tomizawa? I've been meaning to relocate that site and show it to Peg, mainly for the humor value in Kanna's seiyuu being the shortest one in the cast... and Iris' towering over her.

-- Bob
---------
Take me to the Land of Twilight
Having seen the song mentioned, I am minded that a visit to "The World" of .hack might be amusing.
Doug wakes up in this bizarre hack'n'slash fantasy world, sans his tech; and he can't "log out" like everyone else can.....
Re: Take me to the Land of Twilight
one instance of Lightning's Hand would... enlighten.. Doug, and then, well..
sorry, brain nonfunctional, no source media processed.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Take me to the Land of Twilight
Nahh, I find that having his helmet set be an interface into "The World" may be funnier. He would either have to completely disconnect the NIC card in there. That and wonder how Altmit v2.0 was installed.
Edward D.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
Re:Sakura Taisen
If you do include a trip to Paris with the Hanagumi to Paris, you'd have to write in the Parigumi cast as well...that does raise some interesting scenes.
Both the Parigumi and the Hanagumi regard each other as interlopers as regard to the "ownership" of Ohgami. Throwing Doug to the mix ought to be interesting.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Re:Sakura Taisen
While I have no plot currently laid out for the hypothetical Sakura Taisen Step, I am inclined to set it in the obscure period of time delineated by the events recounted by OVA 2 -- definitely before Ohgami's departure, perhaps in the midst of the stuff he's reminiscing about as he packs.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Re:Sakura Taisen Timeline
Since OVA2 covers from Taisho 12 (1922) to spring of Taisho 15 (1926)..that covers a lot of ground. The latest time you'd want Doug to step through would be the spring of Taisho 14 (1925).

I can see Doug pleading with Yoneda to give him a part in the Red Lad radio play as either a Golden Age hero..maybe even a villain?...maybe even a female hero/villain? ^___^
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
RE:re Sakura Taisen
Hmmm....so far most of the steps Doug has been in had been in worlds where the concept of marriage and career are not precisely mutually exclusive. It is in Sakura Taisen.
*snicker*....if the Hanagumi ever found out about this.....
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Re:Sakura Taisen Timeline
Quote:
The latest time you'd want Doug to step through would be the spring of Taisho 14 (1925).
Yeah, given what you said, probably. If not even earlier -- depends on how long the plot makes him stay, once said plot actually manifests out of the smoke at the back of my imagination.
Quote:
I can see Doug pleading with Yoneda to give him a part in the Red Lad radio play
So he can be on the balloon when they head off to help Kohran and Orihime at that apartment complex? If he were there, he'd probably suggest Sumire go as the Crimson Lizard instead of henchman #3...
Quote:
as either a Golden Age hero..maybe even a villain?...maybe even a female hero/villain?
Female? Not with his tenor voice...

-- Bob
---------
Re: RE:re Sakura Taisen
Quote:
Hmmm....so far most of the steps Doug has been in had been in worlds where the concept of marriage and career are not precisely mutually exclusive. It is in Sakura Taisen.
*snicker*....if the Hanagumi ever found out about this.....
" I can just see Yoneda trying to explain that it's probably something to do with different physical laws.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Sakura Taisen
//Female? Not with his tenor voice...//
A vox mod...and put Doug in drag.......

A very good reason Doug to stay is to train Iris with her gift. She's probably THE first metahuman in that world. and no one has trained her! Not to mention that Doug would be appalled at the thought of a child going into combat...he'd probably seen it too often in his world. But that would mean staying at least through ST2 if not ST1.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
//Female? Not with his tenor voice...//
Vox mods...and put him in drag...wonder if Maria's clothes will fit him?..there's always Kanna's.

A very good reason to stay is to train Iris...she may be very well the first metahuman on that world. She may have control of her gift, but not the training to use it effectively.
And you have to think of a play to perform too!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
A very good reason to stay is to train Iris...she may be very well the first metahuman on that world. She may have control of her gift, but not the training to use it effectively.
But arguably all the Hanagumi are metahumans to some degree, since not everyone can make the rice cooker mecha move. Sakura can certainly do strange spiritual blast things with her sword...and, well, the whole spiritual energy thing's a big part of the series.
The various villains from the TV series and movie are also clearly metahumans of some variety, since most people dont do things like floating in the air or fighting a Kohbu with their bare hands.
In the TV series, there's this episode where the tech guys set up this big "artificial sealing rock", basically a powerful spiritual energy transmitter. There's some dialogue about how the Hanagumi are shielded inside their Kohbu, but every sensitive in the city's going to get nightmares.
So Iris isn't the first metahuman, it's just an issue of...scale, perhaps? She's more powerful, but there are other people with power. Eh. I suppose it depends on how you define metahuman abilities.
-- Acyl
The thing that bugged me about the whole TV series and OVA1 was that Iris entered combat without any sort of training at all in regard to her abilities. Everyone else did. I'm not sure if the Council of Wisemen and Fujeda Ayame in particualr realized the terrible risks they where taking in putting Iris in the line of fire. Worse, they did know the risks and did it anyway.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
RE: RE: Sakura Taisen
Now, if you subscribe to Laura Zimmerman Bradley's laran theory...once Iris hits pubery..her power is going to increase dramatically.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
A very good reason Doug to stay is to train Iris with her gift. She's probably THE first metahuman in that world.
Are you kidding? Kanna can put fistprints into steel bulkheads, Sakura can throw massive selectable-target chi bolts, Sumire can generate fire and banish spriitual entities with her naginata, and Kohran is able to survive all those explosions... Maria may be simply highly-skilled, but given what she pulls off in OVA2 ep 1, I wouldn't bet on it. I honestly don't know what Soletta and Reni can do, but OVA2 ep 4 shows Reni leaping from a balloon gondola and landing on the ridge of a roof easily a hundred feet below, without bobbling; she also appears to be a master swordswoman.
As far as Doug's concerned, they're metahumans. As far as he's concerned, they're that world's Warriors.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Maria may be simply highly-skilled, but given what she pulls off in OVA2 ep 1, I wouldn't bet on it.
Well, boss, in the TV series, when regular soldiers and the capital defence ninjas (I can never remember the name of the special forces and intelligence guys who work with the Hanagumi) shoot at the big funky half-mechanical lurching zombie creatures...
...The bullets just plink off. When Maria shoots at them, they actually stop, and her bullets leave glowing holes. The same kind of wound's left when Sakura and Sumire slash them with their spiritually charged weapons. It suggests she's doing the same thing.
The OVAs and Movie handle Maria's abilities somewhat differently, though. But the series is different, continuity-wise, from the OVAs, and movies, so that's not surprising.
-- Acyl
Okay, I stand corrected on the metahuman thing. But the point remains..either in the TV series or OVA, no one has been shown to be training Iris in her powers.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Seems to me, Iris has a pretty damned good handle on her powers already.
"Repair Bears!"

-- Bob
---------
Jem and the Holograms
Now that Jem and the Holograms(at least the first two seasons) is out on DVD, maybe Looney Toons can pay a visit. If nothing else than to get ahold of some of the songs. There were over 100 of them(4 seasons, 13 epsiodes a season, usually 2 songs per episode.) And LT could get the longer versions, instead of the small TV samples. ^_^
One of the songs has already been locked down. 'Let the Magic Heal You' Even without LT's powers, it already has been shown to heal people
The United States succesful entry into the Maho Shojou field.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Other Places for a Step
Hmmm...Mahoromatic?....the one thing I hated about it is that Mahoro died at the end,scarring Suguru for life.
How do you roll back the expiration date on a combat android?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Jem and the Holograms
Huh. A few weeks ago someone had put up a BitTorrent of all the JATH tracks. I was idly interested, given some things Ed Becerra had told me, but didn't have enough interest to actually grab them. Now I'm wondering what I might have missed...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Other Places for a Step
Thanks for the spoiler, Ord.

-- Bob
---------