Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter Pan and Never Never Land
Peter Pan and Never Never Land
After watching the current version of Peter Pan now out in the movies, I wondering what Doug would do if he found himself in Never Never Land.

Shawn Earl
Re: Peter Pan and Never Never Land
After seeing the trailer a couple weeks ago, I was thinking the same thing. No clear ideas yet, but I think it's obvious Doug would side with Peter and the lost boys...

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...
although I havent seen the movie yet... I kinda think it would be a pretty short story ^_^
a couple of blast of oh say.... lightnings hand in the hull of hook's ship would kinda urm.... sink their ship? and a metahuman as powerful as doug would mop up the pirates in no time...
Quote:
a metahuman as powerful as doug would mop up the pirates in no time...
Yeah, that's the problem. It's fun to imagine, but dull as a story.

-- Bob
---------
Do it as a one shot. Stage it after the lost boys and Wendy have left. It can act as a mini-vacation from the pressures that Doug faces in his journey. Plus I'm sure Pan would love to tell stories of his adventures to someone.

Shawn Earl
I'll give it some thought. Maybe... but even as a one-shot, I've got to have some good dramatic tension somewhere. Doug may just be too powerful for Neverland.

-- Bob
---------
letssee... he can fly like pan.... swashbuckle just like him...
but the question is... can he CROW like the pan?
If Robin Williams can do it, Doug can do it.

-- Bob
---------
Bob Wrote:
> After seeing the trailer a couple weeks ago, I was thinking
> the same thing. No clear ideas yet, but I think it's obvious
> Doug would side with Peter and the lost boys...
Funny, I always though of Doug _as_ one of the lost boys. (Recent evidence of maturation notwithstanding Smile

Skitz.
Bob Wrote:
> I'll give it some thought. Maybe... but even as a one-shot,
> I've got to have some good dramatic tension somewhere.
> Doug may just be too powerful for Neverland.
Power Balance. Doug can't simply pop into never land without some similarly powerfull item/person popping in to aid the pirates. Hmmm, but what?
Pirates....
What about the Pearl? Or just the Curse? If the Pirates of Never Never land become undead walking zombies, well that would not only cnage things but might provide a challange.

Skitz - free associating.
That would kinda blow the entire flavor of Neverland out of the water, wouldn't it? "We've got fairies, and Red Indians, and mermaids, and, oh yeah, the malevolent zombie pirates."
That being said, though, I can see Jack Sparrow having the time of his life there... and what about Kiera Knightly's character taking Wendy's place?

-- Bob
---------
sounds like a lot of fun ^_^
It does, doesn't it? Who needs Doug there, then?

-- Bob
---------
Bob Wrote:
B> It does, doesn't it? Who needs Doug there, then?
I figured why Doug would want to go there, assuming he found a song that he thought might take him there: Peter Pan has the demonstrated capability of not only being able to cross dimensions at will, but alos of carrying others with him... Hop to Never land and convince Peter to give you a lift home. If it doesn't work, you're hardly worse off.
Now, a song to take Doug to Never Land...
There's Never Never Land: www.allthelyrics.com/lyri...ever_land/
"Hello?
I got your message
Oh, so you're sorry?
No, I'm the one who's sorry
'Cause baby, you're in Never Neverland
You can tell me that you're sorry
Beg me for another chance (Ohhhh)
You can think I'll take you back
You're in Never Neverland
Make the same old tired excuses
Say that I don't understand (Understand)
If you think you're still my man
Baby you're in Never Neverland

Or the theme song: www.allthelyrics.com/lyri...the_right/
"The second star to the right
Shines in the night for you
To tell you that the dreams you plan
Really can come true
The second star to the right
Shines with a light that's rare
And if it's Never Land you need
Its light will lead you there
Twinkle, twinkle little star
So I'll know where you are
Gleaming in the skies above
Lead me to the land I dreamed of
And when our journey is through
Each time we say 'Goodnight'
We'll thank the little star that shines
The second from the right "
Hmm, there's many more than you can shake a stick at here:
www.google.com/search?hl=...er+Land%22
INXS looks ok:
"It's the swing
It's the swing like a pendulum
So look behind you when the race has run
And the winner is made
The swing into never never land
There was a darkness like an old friend
That scratched and crawled up the wall
Into my life"
Hmm, "Enter Sandman" ends on that note, but I really doubt it'd have the desired effect. Has Doug ever run that one?

Skitz
Quote:
I figured why Doug would want to go there, assuming he found a song that he thought might take him there: Peter Pan has the demonstrated capability of not only being able to cross dimensions at will, but alos of carrying others with him... Hop to Never land and convince Peter to give you a lift home. If it doesn't work, you're hardly worse off.
Damn. Why didn't I think of that? That's a great idea...
Quote:
Hmm, "Enter Sandman" ends on that note, but I really doubt it'd have the desired effect. Has Doug ever run that one?
It's cued up for use as nightmare projection in a story I'm not sure I'm going to write yet.

-- Bob
---------
Caveat: I have not seen the new movie.
My problem with using Never Never Land is that Doug actually is in direct conflict with the basic paradigm of the universe.
Look, you have a) Children who have refused to grow up, and therefore don't, and b) you have the adults who are essentially parodies of everything that is evil (from a child's POV) of adults.
Doug is an adult - who has retained much of his childishness. He's anathema to both groups. I just don't see that making for a good story.
(As a side note, Doug is an almost textbook case of Post-Modern Post-Adolescent Disorder - but then, so am I. Smile--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
and b) you have the adults who are essentially parodies of everything that is evil (from a child's POV) of adults.
But not universally -- the Red Indians of Neverland have many adults, and all are good folk, allied (or at least friendly) to the Lost Boys.
Quote:
Doug is an adult - who has retained much of his childishness. He's anathema to both groups. I just don't see that making for a good story.
Hm. Actually, quite the contrary -- there's the core conflict. If Doug could just stroll in and say, "Hey, Pete, send me home" and get "sure, no prob" in response, there's no story. Now, Doug working to get accepted by the Lost Boys (who automatically distrust him and try to drive him away), fighting off Hook's press gangs, and generally becoming a third side in the Neverland war (the mermaids and the Indians apparently don't get involved) -- there's some story potential there.
Quote:
(As a side note, Doug is an almost textbook case of Post-Modern Post-Adolescent Disorder - but then, so am I. Smile
I'm going to have to look that one up. Sounds interesting.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Hm. Actually, quite the contrary -- there's the core conflict. If Doug could just stroll in and say, "Hey, Pete, send me home" and get "sure, no prob" in response, there's no story. Now, Doug working to get accepted by the Lost Boys (who automatically distrust him and try to drive him away), fighting off Hook's press gangs, and generally becoming a third side in the Neverland war (the mermaids and the Indians apparently don't get involved) -- there's some story potential there.
Not only that, but I expect that there will also be the conflict of Doug setting the example that you _can_ grow up and yet not lose the childish playfulness that makes them kids. After all, if Doug can do this, maybe they can. And if they can, maybe they'll decide to go home. It seems to me that Peter Pan would want to try and take Doug somewhere else as soon as Doug starts gaining the Lost Boys trust...
Just a thought...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
oooog.
this keeps getting more and more interesting.
Wendy's age, anyone? I had a quickflash of a one-sided Wendy-Doug romance, and The Pan encountering jealousy..
it wasn't pretty.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
One trouble with sending Doug to Neverland: while there, he just might learn to fly. If this carried over to places outside of Neverland, it could have some rather interesting (not to say upsetting or unbalancing) effects...
As I recall, Pan flight requires the cooperation of a pixie -- it's not just the "happy thoughts" that do it. If I were to do something along these lines, I'd probably have the pixies automatically distrust Doug, on the grounds that he's an adult. Even after he proves himself otherwise, they won't be his biggest fans.

-- Bob
---------
I can see your point Doug (I never thought of the Red Indians or the Mermaids, really).
As for the Post-Modern Post-Adolescent Disorder, it's the medical term for people who (And I quote) "Don't want to grow up."
Aka: Adults who still enjoy cartoons over watching the news, Adults who would rather play video games than engage in more classical "adult" hobbies, adults who read comic books, etc....
As I said to my girlfriend who, upon hearing that, said I suffer from that disorder: "I don't suffer at all, I enjoy it thoroughly."--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Heheh, not only do I not suffer from having that, I'm a corrupting influence on people around me, tempting them by showing off my custom repaints and rebuilds of mecha toys, lending anime from my library to people who say 'That's that japanese cartoon stuff, isn't it?" when I explain the source of said mecha toys, leaving printouts of fanfiction in the magazine racks of waiting rooms... MUAHAHAHAH!
- CD, "It's very GOOD to be very bad!" - Rita Repulsa
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Offsides said:
Quote:
It seems to me that Peter Pan would want to try and take Doug somewhere else as soon as Doug starts gaining the Lost Boys trust...
And don't forget that the Pan is quite a little savage. He doesn't wear that sword for nothing, you know. If Doug starts challenging the Established Order, Peter may be more inclined to quietly dispatch him behind a rock than send him home...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
this keeps getting more and more interesting.
That it does. It's starting to get even more interesting than my playful "Man of La Mancha" Step idea which I shared with Offsides a few weeks back. (Doug lands in "Don Quixote", recognizes it for what it is, and notes that Quixote has a better impact on the world than Alonzo Quijana does. So he pledges himself to Quixote's service as a mage-warrior -- he'll have to shake up the old man's prejudice against sorcerers first -- and thwarts the son-in-law's plans to shock the old man back to reality. The real plot of the story kicks into gear after this, when the Inquisition hears of Quixote and his merry band...)
But anyway...
Quote:
Wendy's age, anyone? I had a quickflash of a one-sided Wendy-Doug romance, and The Pan encountering jealousy.. it wasn't pretty.
Wendy seems to be somewhere between 12 and 14; from what I saw in the commercials for the new film, the current Wendy's pushing the high end of that range. And yeah, 'twould be a nasty little plot twist. Add this to the idea above about Doug threatening the Pan's system, and Peter just might end up more of a villain than Hook!

-- Bob
---------