Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a power song, but
Not a power song, but
the theme from Sakigake Cromartie High is fun, and it would also be fun to see Doug doing a Great Teacher Sangnoir with the kids there. It might end up being too similar to Child's Toy, though, in being a 'wierd school story' show... Cromartie makes Furinkan look GOOD, but it still just another schoolkids anime.
- CD, who's been on an anime binge
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: Not a power song, but
Okay, another anime to find...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
'Taint that hard to find, like all the others I've been mentioning lately, it's on Animesuki, IIRC. If not, it's on a group page linked from there... wait one... it's being done by ANBU, who also do Naruto. Also, having now seen the first few eps of Narutaru it's on my reccomend list too, it's like a twisted, gritty supernatural show got thrown in a blender with Pokemon. By ep five, we have a suicidal secondary character, one death on camera via impaling and one hidden in a big fireball, a government coverup/conspiracy, a disturbing smiling-armless-dolly-angel-of-death critter, and the lead character is freaking out about what the hell the cute little sea creature she adopted in the first episode can do and has done.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
You know, CD, I'm beginning to think we have some widely different tastes in anime...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Eh, well, grim and gritty isn't my style usually, but Narutaru isn't playing it for gore, or really even for horror in the modern horror genre sense, more in the way the original Godzilla is a horror movie. Unfortunately, the series doesn't have an ending, just a stopping point, and leaves the co-star's plot and the overplot both unresolved. Reading online, it was apparently made before the manga was completed, so that's understandable, but takes it right back off the reccomend list except for the explict purpose of setting fanfic there. Save only that Shiina the lead character gives every sign of being the exception to the ruled that having one of these critters sends you off the deep end it wouldn't have been there in the first place, but she could really use a friend who isn't a headline waiting to happen.
As for other anime... Let's see if I can dig up the list I made...
Arrrr.
Anime... on CRACK!
Da good stuff:
Excel Saga
Puni Puni Poemi
FLCL
Amazing Nurse Nanako
Moldiver
Shinesman
Real Bout High School (Heheheh... Demon Lord of Panda... Magical Princess Oyster Lulu... snrrk!)
Agent Aika (and I wish there were less pantyshots to distract from the plot)
Read Or Die OVA
Maps
(new addition: Narutaru, which despite being gritty and not ending, just stopping, is really REALLY wierd in a hidden-in-everyday-life sort of way. It does get darker than any of the rest here, though.)
Sakigake Cromartie High (SERIOUS crack)
Second, I am a raving mecha fanatic. I draw, scratchbuild, and write about mecha. I hope to be reincarnated as a Cybertronian, and have performed voodoo rituals to that end. I dream of variable fighters flying in formation with me. Mecha shows are the backbone of my list:
Transformers G1
King of Braves Gao Gai Gar
Macross/Plus/7/Zero (NOT Southern Cross or espescially MOSPEADA, or that thing Macek made out of their violated corpses)
Megazone 23 I/II/III
Bubblegum Crisis (the real one)
Terrestrial Defence Force Dai-Guard (Like Evangelion without Anno-baka! Kickass! It stops more than ends, too, but at least does so in a way that makes sense.)
Nadesico TV
Tekkaman
VanDread

Finally, I like 'splosions... big, big 'splosions!
DBZ *movies* only (regular series drags too much)
Tenchi OVA
Project A-Ko series
Legend of Condor Hero (okay, so it doesn't have so many actual explosions, but it's like I thgouht Ranma would be without the stupidity and abusive relationships)
Iria: Zeiram the animation
Dirty Pair (not Flash, it's not super-bad but just does't feel the same somehow.)
Bastard!! (enough explosions and heavy metal references can indeed make up for being a high fantasy setting, Virginia) (I particularly fear the day some fanfic writer combines this with the previous one...)
E's Otherwise
Soultaker
Hellsing
Scryed
Trigun
(new additions follow)
Naruto
Read or Die TV
Airmaster (okay, no 'splosions HERE either, but lots of fighting, and one of the characters just used a ki attack - and for once, the first ki attack is both a fight-finisher and performed by the comic relief!)
Shadow Skill TV

Not Quite Favorites:
Macross DYRL/II (don't rag on Macross II, it had pretty girls, pretty machines, and pretty explosions, and for that I can accept a stock 'War is Hell' plot if it's not too gritty about it)
ADPolice Files (the real one)
Platinumhugen Ordian (despite the mecha, I should dislike it for being too gritty and peacenik preachy... but I don't, it's just not a favorite)
Slayers and sequels (if only it was a science fiction setting instead of high fantasy... even a magic-based 'futuristic' setting)
Violinist of Hameln TV (ditto - though I want a Pheonix sky-battleship, and Slur battle mecha are cool too, so it's part way there)

The Brown Acid: shows I thought I would like but did not (and why):
Evengelion (Anno-baka)
Ebichu (Anno-baka)
Popotan (too normal)
Bubblegum Crash (discontinuitous feel from first series, too preachy ending)
Tokyo 2040, again espescially the ending (above and beyond hating it for pretending to be BGC) (same as Crash)
Dragon Ball/Z (if it was edited to about 1/5 the length, it would be really, really good)
Crest of the Stars (drags worse than Drag-On Ball)
Texholnolyse (ditto plus Anno-baka-worthy mindfuck when it does do anything)
Any and all Gundam (too dark, when it's not dragging) G was a special dissapointment since I was told it was goofy instead of dark
Escaflowne movie (not enough time for mecha when they had to put the plot in)
Five Star Stories movie (ditto)
Ghost In The SHell (too compressed)
Gowcaiser OVA (It's a fighting game anime. 'Nuff said)
Cowboy Bebop TV/movie (couldn't tell ya, it just rubbed me the wrong way)
Ranma 1/2 (too stupid, and I don't find abusive relationships funny. Some of the fanfic is good, but only when it breaks sharply away from the actual anime and manga)
Great Teacher Onizuka (has its moments, but it honestly feels like the subplot in an action show, not something to carry a show on its own. Most 'schoolkids' anime is even worse about that)
Spiral (I don't much dig Mystery as a genre, the ongoing plot about the whizkids wasn't enough to carry it for me)
Castle In The Sky Laputa ('powers Man was not meant to wield' endings always piss me off, even if the rest is as good as this. There is a rant about this which I'm not going into here.)
- CD
--
here's the ANBU translation of the Cromartie teme that started this whole sorry business:
I am crying because I am mad
because I believe that the value and kindness of people will get trampled
Those who display their powers have lost thier flexibility
and they are covered in lies and mud; isn't it a very irritating scene?
A mat that was made stronger...
Live in a tough manner...
Let's walk fordward, the wind is against us
Get out, get out, get out of the way! Those who have a guilty conscience, get out of the way.
Put light into this boring city
Get out, move out of the way! The truth is coming through!
The era of justice has crumbled, but there are songs of hope
I can offer my life to this world
Like I said, not a power song, and I don't see what it has to doo with the bizarre daily happenings of an entire school where every student is that one badass the normal kids half envy and half fear. Well, except for the really odd ones, like the rock star/circus strong man guy, the gorilla, or Mechazawa. I don't get what the little jelly things they're always balancing in toothpicks are, either, but I know I like it.
- CD
--
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with that. While I'll agree that the explosion-to-everything-else ratio is rather low, I, at least, was having so much fun figuring out how all the various carefully-thought-out bits of universe fit together and watching characters with actual -personalities- (as opposed to biceps the size of their heads or acute gigantism of the guns) that I'm afraid I really didn't notice.
This is anime for David Weber fans, as opposed to Doc Smith.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
This is anime for David Weber fans, as opposed to Doc Smith.
Heh. I'll have to check it out - I'm both.
(At least, I am if you meant "for fans of Doc Smith" and not "for Doc Smith himself"...)
Hm. Looking over your lists and classifications, CD, it turns out that we do have some overlap in tastes, but the differences are much greater. And even where there's overlap, I think we still run along different paths -- only about four of your favorites are on my list as well, and I'm far less mecha-oriented than you. But we do seem to share a taste in screwball and surreal comedy...

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with that
We've had this argument before - the conclusion was that you still like it, and I still don't. (Actually, that's about the norm for most arguments I've seen about 'this is good and this is bad' online or off.) Deep, character driven stories are wonderful, but I prefer them in prose format and expect visual media to take advantage of the ability to literally show instead of telling to bring me the kind of action it clogs things up too much to describe in text.
Particularly when I can get many such good prose works for free as fanfic or for cheap from Baen Webscriptions, and DVDs are slagging expensive - for $25-$30, I'd better be getting EXACTLY what I want to see, dammit.
- CD
--
Slayers + Sci-fi
If you want Slayers in a sci-fi setting checkout "Lost Universe" You know how in Slayers there are 4 universes and the show is set in only one of them? Well lost universe is another one of the Slayers universes, but this time a sci-fi universe. The lord of Nightmares seems to work in set patterns, somewhat odd for something that lives in/is a sea of chaos.
Re: Slayers + Sci-fi
Actually, Full Metal Alchemist seems to be pretty darn close - a borg and a 'bot wandering around, using 'magic' (thoough at one point in an early episode, the lead character angrily expains that alchemny isn't some kind of magic, but a science) and doing what's technically good because it's good for them, with plenty of slapstick and wild takes along the way.
- CD
--
Macross II
Random note: Macross II has some of the best mechs outside of the original Macross. Period. Ever.
Macross...
But it falls down after the fourth OAV.
At first, it looked like it was set to become a six or ten OAV series, then the last two just sort of wrapped up in record time. It's like they ran out of money and threw something together.
Besides, if you want beautiful mecha work, watch the original subtitled Macross Plus. the scenework of the VF-19 and VF-21 competing against each other (especially the city fight) are jaw-dropping gorgeous.