Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really *weird* places for a Step...
Really *weird* places for a Step...
-ReBoot!
(If the gate could drop Doug in Mainframe instead of whatever totally whacked "real" world the Users inhabit...)
-Bionicle
(A tropical island inhabited by Lego-based life forms?!)
-Darkwing Duck
("Oh great, another hairless ape with superpowers...")
-South Park
("Singing superheroes is where I draw the line.")
-Callahan's Place
(If Doug is in need of a drink and some light therapy...)
-Devilman
(because that one ended on a hideously depressing note, and desperately needs a good tweaking)
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
(because it's just so deliberately silly... and Doug would have to wind up with his own themed Gundam [Image: smile.gif] )
--Sam Ashley
"So the junta has become the hunted!"
Re: Really *weird* places for a Step...
Quote:
-ReBoot!
Interesting... maybe blend this with Tron to get the desired effect.
Quote:
-Bionicle
I've only ever seen the commercial that they were running in movies a year or so ago, and I know nothing else about this setting.
Quote:
-Darkwing Duck
One of my prereaders has been pushing for this: DW meets DW. It's certainly close enough to the world of the WB cartoons for Doug to really enjoy himself there...
Quote:
-South Park
Yeek. I mean, well... yeek. The weird thing is I can envision the animation for this perfectly...
Quote:
-Callahan's Place
Oooh. I like.
Quote:
-Devilman
Another one that I don't know, but improving a bad ending is always a good motivation.
Quote:
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
I haven't seen any Gundam, either, actually. So I wouldn't really know what to do there. The idea of a giant robot for Doug, though... I gotta find a song somewhere to do that... maybe the theme to Gigantor?
Thanks for the ideas!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
FLCL
("End of Evangelion, when crack is not enough. FLCL, when End of Evangelion is not enough." Can't remember who that is from, but it fits.)
Excel Saga
(Does that show even have a plot? And just how many times has Excel died anyway? Plus how would Doug like having to deal with The Will Of The Universe? Especially if she makes a pass on him.)
Big Trouble in Little China
(Uh, well, would Doug enjoy being thrown into a fight between some martial artists and some chinese deities? No? Well, that's too bad.)
Now and Then, Here and There
(A dark place that really could use Doug's touch)
And how about comic strips?
Exploitation Now
(Hmm, maybe not.)
Road Waffles
(Instead of fighting legions of vampires, it is legions of zombies. And that squirrel.)
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode
Quote:
FLCL
I've heard of this, but know nothing about it. That description, though... you've got me curious now.
Quote:
Excel Saga
Oh dear god in heaven. This is the kind of universe where I think if Doug were to use his powers, they'd automatically backfire on him.
Quote:
Oh yeah. I've thought about this one. Can you see the duelling lightning bolts?
Quote:
Now and Then, Here and There
Never heard of it.
Quote:
Exploitation Now
Road Waffles
Never heard of these, either.
But on that topic, how about throwing Doug into Sluggy Freelance? He'd probably be the dull neighbor.

-- Bob
---------
If it wasn't for the fact that Doug doesn't know about the transfictional aspect of his travels, I would suggest something on the order of Zens and Zensibility (I'll let you guess who wrote that one) where the Dirty Pair visit Babylon 5 and are recognised by Kosh (who RUNS to his ship and bumps several ships in the departure queue to get as far away as possible) and just after they leave, Garibaldi, who suddenly recalls why Kei and Yuri seems so familiar and starts demanding status checks on every critical system on the station.
The other notion that occurs to me is Transformers. It is a superheroic mythos (more so in the comics) and I think he'd get along well with Blaster. I can just see them facing off against Soundwave.
Soundwave: "Ravage, eject. Mission: elimination."
Doug: "Blaster, transform! Track: Cat's in the Cradle."
Blaster: "Whoa Doug, that's a truly wicked Soundwave imitation."

"How can I be this kick ass strong?! Powerful! Handsome! Charismatic! Gorgeous! Oh, Gods... Why do you burden me with such a heavy karma!"
- Dark Schneider, Bastard!!! #20
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:
Is this an official song? I'd think, quickly recalling the lyrics, it'd turn Doug into a replica of whoever he's facing off against...
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Doctor Loon
Doug's a UN operative.
Somehow I doubt he'd fail to have fun working with 3Doc and U.N.I.T. ...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
>Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this an official song? I'd think, quickly recalling the lyrics, it'd turn Doug into a replica of whoever he's facing off against...<
Thinking about it, I suppose the parody of the track, Cat's in the Kettle would be better choice. Ravage wouln't like that one."How can I be this kick ass strong?! Powerful! Handsome! Charismatic! Gorgeous! Oh, Gods... Why do you burden me with such a heavy karma!"
- Dark Schneider, Bastard!!! #20
D for Drakensis

I'd get more out of these suggestions if I actually knew anything about Transformers.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Doctor Loon
Quote:
Hmm. This is true. Although I think that he'd get along famously with Ace and the Sylvester McCoy Doctor ("Doctor McCoy"? ).

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I'd get more out of these suggestions if I actually knew anything about Transformers.
WTF?!?!?! You can't really mean that your only exposure to Transformers has been through EPU!!!!
In a nutshell for the purposes of this particular debate, though, Soundwave and Blaster both become boom boxes. Soundwave is a 'con and Blaster is a 'bot. Oh, and Blaster also appears in the Hammer Time stories as a member of Thunder-Force."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
To be more specific, in a shamelessly nitpicky sorta fashion, Soundwave transforms into a portable cassette player. You know, the Sony Walkman sort. Blaster's the boombox. Otherwise, the Eyrie stories cover most of their basic personalities.
Though, I imagine if Doug ever -met- Soundwave's tapes, Rumble and Frenzy would get along smashingly with him. Uh. Wait. Um. Pun unintended. Honest?
- Acyl
-- Acyl
Quote:
You can't really mean that your only exposure to Transformers has been through EPU!!!!
Just FYI, Bob's about 10 years older than the EPU gang (and myself), so yes, it is very possible that he missed transformers... I'll have to remember to show him TF: The Movie, if only because it sets up Cybertron Dreams (and by extension, all of FI).
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Transformers
It would also be worth mentioning that Ravage, the cassette referred to here does not have a humanoid for transforming from a cassette into a robotic panther. Despite never speaking (IIRC - I'm on the young side to remember the original transformers) he was a particularly characterful Decepticon.
D for Drakensis

Quote:
Just FYI, Bob's about 10 years older than the EPU gang (and myself),
That is correct. I turned the ripe old age of exactly 40.5 years on Saturday. (Bleagh.)
Basically, when Transformers first burst onto the scene, I was already college age; I dismissed the show as a cute, gimmick- and marketing-driven production and never watched it. And to be brutally honest, despite the Transformer content of UF, I still have yet to find any reason to watch it.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Hmm. This is true. Although I think that he'd get along famously with Ace and the Sylvester McCoy Doctor ("Doctor McCoy"? .
-- Bob

*grin* My personal favorite pairing, too.
Just for kicks, I had an oddball idea. Drop him in at three temporally-separated points: Once during the 3doc "James Bond" era, once for 'Battlefield' (Doc, Ace, and Brig vs Morgaine and Mordred... he'd get a real kick out of seeing Ace come swimming up out of the lake with Excalibur in hand...) - and once for 'Happy Endings'...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
Quote:
Oh yeah. I've thought about this one. Can you see the duelling lightning bolts?

"Shut up, Colonel Sangnoir. You were not put on this Earth to get it!"
"No, I was put on this Earth to kick your undead butt!"
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
I just had this really weird idea that i thought I'd share with you all.
"Bloom County" by Berke Breathed
Given how strange some of the cast in this cartoon is a dimesionally lost superhero wouldn't be that that out of place.
Quote:
"Shut up, Colonel Sangnoir. You were not put on this Earth to get it!"
"No, I was put on this Earth to kick your undead butt!"
I like.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Re: Really *weird* places for a Step...
Quote:
"Bloom County" by Berke Breathed
Given how strange some of the cast in this cartoon is a dimesionally lost superhero wouldn't be that that out of place.
That would be... that would be very strange. I like that idea. I could actually see it working.

-- Bob
---------
More Bloom County ideas.
Just a strange thought about Dougs entry in to this world. Binkley finds him unconsious in his "Anexity Closet", to be quite frank that wouldn't even be the stangest thing Binkley has found there.
Bloom County
It'd be a fun place to visit, but I really can't see a good story conflict developing there.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Bloom County
So make it either a short (one page or so, perhaps just noting the fact that the people there did get wierder things than Doug with their breakfast cereal [Image: smile.gif] ), or have it referenced obliquely as a passing comment, kinda like that summer he spent as a grounds-keeper...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
That's an idea, yes...
I wonder if the likelihood that he doesn't recognize "Bloom County" means it doesn't exist in Warriors' World, either -- and what differences that change has caused in the timeline...

-- Bob
---------
Hell, have him as campaign manager for the Bill n' Opus campaign. That way they have an actual shot at winning.
--Mr. F, old-skool Bloom County fanboy.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"