Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step into a Trenchcoat
Step into a Trenchcoat
Just finished a bunch of Glen Cook's Garrett Files and wondered about Doug falling into that messed up world. For those who aren't familiar, the Garrett Files are about a Philip Marlow style p.i. written in Raymond Chandler style of over the top (at least it seems so now) cliche's. The kick is that it's in a fantasy world of elves, dwarves, trolls, and other monsters straight out of a monster manual. Doug would drive the higher ups in Tunfaire crazy, not to mention the Dead Man. He and Garrett would have to compare wise crack notes, as they are both are grand masters in the art Smile---------------
Oh crap. I've got Destiny.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
trenchcoat?
What trenchcoat? Last I looked Garret didn't wear a trenchcoat. Do we even know whether there _are_ trenchcoats in Tunfaire? You may have gotten your mental images confused ... tell me, have you played Discworld Noir recently?
ahem ... now that I've gotten _that_ out of my system:
it'd be fun to see what sort of reaction Doug would have to the painting in Garret's office.
But ...
The whole fun of the Garret chara lies in his being the underdog, a semi-decent guy, not uber-compentent or anything like that, who just makes do with what he has and somehow muddles through. Doug wouldn't really add much to the scenery there, IMO, and it'd look like just another fantasy template to him anyways.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: trenchcoat?
when i read the subject, my first thought was "constantine??" ... not having read this 'garret' story, i have no idea how doug would fit in, but i think that doug's take it light attitude and constantine's "oh crap, the mystic forces are gonna screw me again. oh well" outlook would make for an interesting contrast.
for those playing along at home, constantine is a magic magnet and troubleshooter. his only powers are an almost encyclopaedic knowlege of the occult (the how, not the who) and the fact that he apparently conned someone (lucifer?) into making him undying. of course, the people around him would probably be better off on honor harrington's ship in a battle, they get so toasted...
my 0.02$...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Heh. Have to admit - Constantine was my first thought, too. It might be an interesting meeting.
*snicker* Of course, you could make it a REALLY interesting crossover, and make it a Sailor Hellblazer Step.....If it took place after your Sailor Moon step, that should REALLY blow Doug's mind....Smile
Feinan
Sailor... HELLBLAZER!? That's a more frightening concept than Sailor Moon/Shingetsutan Tsukihime/Hellsing, with Mamoru Alucard (dhampeel son of Integra and bat-boy after the Hellsing anime) standing in for whatsisname the kid who sees the Instant Death Lines in ST, and a different blond princess of the moon as a reluctant vampire.
How do you even do Sailor Hellblazer? Make the Cenobites attack Tokyo to capture new victims, opnly to run into the Defenders of Truth, Love, and Ice Cream?
- CD, it's not off-topic, Alucard wears a trenchcoat...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
How do you even do Sailor Hellblazer? Make the Cenobites attack Tokyo to capture new victims, opnly to run into the Defenders of Truth, Love, and Ice Cream?
Y'know all those rocks between Mars and Jupiter? Used to be a planet, name of Nemesis.
Which of course had a senshi.
Who, according to Destiny, should, for our time, be a girl name of Gemma Masters.
And everything was going fine - 'till Destiny met Gemma's Uncle John.
Uncle John doesn't like Destiny. 'specially since it has him wearing, not only a spandex tutu, but the anatomy to look good in it.
Not that Pluto's any happier, of course.
Blessed be.
-n
(A longtime fan.)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Re: Sailor Hellblazer
That fanfic was written by Rod M.(of "Children of an
Elder God" fame) and David Tai, and you can find it
here:
www.thekeep.org/~rpm/fanfic/fics.htm
Look for the Vertigo/Anime section. You should read
"Dire Fates" first, which is a John Constantine/Oh
my Goddess! crossover. It's not a necessary prequel,
but it is a very good story anyway.
(There are also some BGC/BTAS crossovers there that
are quite worthwile)
Alternate site:
home.att.net/~lubakmetyk/non-x.htm#rpm ,
it has the "Meddling Fates" that's missing from
the first one.
NN
Oh yes, oh my yes, Sailor Hellblazer. A classic collision of paradigms. And yes, Dire Fates is an absolute prerequisite. (Oh, and don't forget all the fanfic author cameos in the "sailor girl fanclub" scene...)

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: Step into a Trenchcoat
Oh, and I don't know the Garrett stuff folks are citing. More new material to read...

-- Bob
---------
Oh yes, oh my yes, Sailor Hellblazer. A classic collision of paradigms. And yes, Dire Fates is an absolute prerequisite. (Oh, and don't forget all the fanfic author cameos in the "sailor girl fanclub" scene...)
There's a sequel called faith machine which does some rather interesting things to skuld... it's not finished yet, but it looks quite promissing....
----
----
Don't look at me. An associate of mine is writing piecemeal a Harry Potter/Hellblazer crossfic, where in the middle of a magical battle, John gets tossed out of the DC universe and into the HP one.
And after consultation with Dumbledore, who noticed the massive blast of sorcery, they work out that a) the time to go back won't be for another year; b) John needs a job; c) Dumbledore once again is in need of an instructor for a particular subject....
(The worst part about the HP world? No one smokes cigarettes. John is bloody pissed about that.)Brazil has decided you're cute.
Re: Harry Potter/Hellblazer crossfic
really? is it up somewhere?
----
----
Seconded. I would love to see that.
And I'd love to see a conclusion to Faith Machine. As far as my experience with it is concerned, it left off at a very, very disturbing point. Worse than a cliffhanger.

-- Bob
---------
It could always be worse...
"Sailor... HELLBLAZER!? "
*ahem* try on this mental image: Sailor Hellboy
-={(Astynax)}=-
"yes, fuku and all..."
Sailor Hellboy???
*This post has been terminated due to Boggled timeout*"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Hellblazer / Hogwarts is up at FictionAlley at www.thedarkarts.org/authorLinks/Camwyn/ , assuming Mephron's talking about the fic I think he is. (Given the description, it'd have to be an astonishing coincidence if it weren't.)
The author (Jess McGeary) also posts her various fic to her livejournal at www.livejournal.com/users/camwyn/ . (If you read her "Diary of a Mountie" series, I also played in the RPG sessions she's transcribing.)
Yup, it's Jess. (I first ran into her years ago on a local BBS, and then we both had LJs.)
And yes, some of the stuff is marvelously weird.Brazil has decided you're cute.
I grabbed copies of the four extant chapters of that story last night, for later reading off-line, and some of the little I saw had me rolling out of my chair... Can't wait to read all of it.

-- Bob
---------