Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freakazoid Step?
Freakazoid Step?
Just to push my luck...
What do people think about a Freakazoid Step?
It's not a live franchise, it's a superhero genre, and I would really like to see how Doug got on in this universe! [grin]
Of course, he might be in danger of being out-looned...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Re: Freakazoid Step?
I think I'd rather see him in The Tick, myself ....
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
> I think I'd rather see him in The Tick, myself ....
Yes that could be fun, though the Tick might be a bit too dumb to work well with Doug.
(I suppose that might be the point...)
I do have a soft spot for F!, and would be curious to see what happened.
"Freakazoid!" Cultural Reference Guide:
members.allstream.net/~ja...reaka.html
The Freakazoid Episode Guide:
members.allstream.net/~ja...isode.html
just for your reference... [grin]
--
Quote:
Yes that could be fun, though the Tick might be a bit too dumb to work well with Doug.
(I suppose that might be the point...)
Doug doesn't have to work with the Tick himself, you know -- there are other superheroes in that world he could ally himself with... Looney Toons and Deflator Mouse, together again for the first time!
Quote:
I do have a soft spot for F!, and would be curious to see what happened.
If only I'd watched more than one or two eps when it was on... Is it being repeated anywhere?
Quote:
"Freakazoid!" Cultural Reference Guide:
Very cool. I'll be reading this for a while... Thanks!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:
Doug doesn't have to work with the Tick himself, you know -- there are other superheroes in that world he could ally himself with... Looney Toons and Deflator Mouse, together again for the first time!
Poor Die Fledermaus... his choice of superhero name is probably the most intelligent decision he's ever made or will make, and no one understands it. Smile ("Water. People swim... in water!")
Hmm... Doug would probably get on well with the brainier side of the biz, that (in its entirety) being American Maid and Arthur. (A friend once proposed an extremely simple Tick RPG. There were only two stats: Intelligence and Usefulness. The Tick is of course very useful but none too intelligent; American Maid has a fair amount of both; Fledermaus is almost totally lacking in either.)
Now, the original comic world would be an amusing place to visit... with its hundreds upon hundreds of wannabe super-heroes and pathetic handful of super-villains...
--Sam
"I need the hearts and minds of thousands! GIVE ME THE HEARTS AND MINDS OF THOUSANDS!"
re: That bat-like person in The Tick. I used to spell it in the proper German, but I was told by someone at some point that it is "correctly" misspelled as I did it -- because that's the way DM spells it. He apparently knows what it means in German, but not how to spell it... so he went for the closest-sounding words in English...
Quote:
Hmm... Doug would probably get on well with the brainier side of the biz, that (in its entirety) being American Maid and Arthur.
You know, you may quite right. I wonder if I could write a Step that consisted entirely of the three of them talking in a bar while the Tick and Misspelled-Bat Man have an adventure outside...
Quote:
(A friend once proposed an extremely simple Tick RPG. There were only two stats: Intelligence and Usefulness. The Tick is of course very useful but none too intelligent; American Maid has a fair amount of both; Fledermaus is almost totally lacking in either.)
You know, I like that. It actually would be quite workable...
Player: Okay, I try to pick up the car.
GM: Roll against your Usefulness.
Player: (rolls) Yeah! Made it by 10!
GM: You easily lift the car over your head.
Player: I throw it at the villain!
GM: Lessee... he's 30 yards from you, that's a distance penalty of ... -10. Roll.
Player: (rolls) Urk. Missed by 6.
GM: You drop the car. On your foot.

Quote:
Now, the original comic world would be an amusing place to visit... with its hundreds upon hundreds of wannabe super-heroes and pathetic handful of super-villains...
You know what would be fun to visit, along those lines? "Normalman".
(Does anyone here even recognize this title?)

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
re: That bat-like person in The Tick. I used to spell it in the proper German, but I was told by someone at some point that it is "correctly" misspelled as I did it -- because that's the way DM spells it. He apparently knows what it means in German, but not how to spell it... so he went for the closest-sounding words in English...
Perhaps, but as far as I know Ben Edlund always spelled it correctly... as did the (phenomenally rare) action figure. (And when people shorten his name, all they ever do is leave off the "Die". I think A-Maid may have deliberately mocked him with "Deflator" once though.)
Quote:
I wonder if I could write a Step that consisted entirely of the three of them talking in a bar while the Tick and Misspelled-Bat Man have an adventure outside...
Or in The Diner, that being canon (comic and cartoon) for off-duty conversations...

Quote:
You know what would be fun to visit, along those lines? "Normalman".
(Does anyone here even recognize this title?)
Never read it, but I know of it... baby sent from a dying planet to a world where he's the only non-superpowered inhabitant? Jim Valentino, yes?
--Sam
"You can't be a tick. Ticks got eight legs."
"How do you know I don't?"
"Ticks suck blood. Do you suck blood?"
"...I got a straw right here, pal! Want a demonstration?"
> If only I'd watched more than one or two eps when it was on... Is it being repeated
> anywhere?
It _should_ be! [grin]
No, the idea suddenly came to me, why I don't know, without the character's name (took quite a bit of googling to remind me of it), and I thought it might be worth considering...
Really loony...
--
Quote:
Perhaps, but as far as I know Ben Edlund always spelled it correctly... as did the (phenomenally rare) action figure. (And when people shorten his name, all they ever do is leave off the "Die". I think A-Maid may have deliberately mocked him with "Deflator" once though.)
Well, cool. I'll go back to giving his intelligence proper credit, then.
Quote:
Or in The Diner, that being canon (comic and cartoon) for off-duty conversations...
Witness Mystery Men.
Quote:
Never read it, but I know of it... baby sent from a dying planet to a world where he's the only non-superpowered inhabitant? Jim Valentino, yes?
I believe it was Valentino, yes, but it's been years since I dug my copy out of the storage boxes. And yes, you remember the plotline correctly -- more or less. It's a parody, obviously, of the opening of Superman, but Norm's dad was a junior CPA, not a scientist, and was grossly mistaken about everything except the capability of the spaceship into which he placed his son. According to the end of the story, his wife shot him for doing this, was acquitted of murder, and became a worldwide celebrity... Meanwhile Norm landed on the planet Levram, which is one single running fight scene, and was befriended by the omnipotent Captain Everything.
More than that would spoil the story.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Really loony...
From what I remember of watching it years ago, yes, it was... I wonder why I didn't watch more?

-- Bob
---------