Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step suggestions
Step suggestions
It occured to me that Xena, Warrior Princess might make for an interesting DW step. Plenty of gods running around, to give Doug headaches, not to mention the twisted version of ancient history. (I don't know if this has been mentioned before; I feel like it has been, but EZBoard's "Search" function didn't turn it up.)
On another note, the George R. R. Martin spam message of a few days ago got me thinking about whether GRRM's various books could make good DW steps. Song of Ice and Fire (his current series, a tie-in to which the spam was advertising) wouldn't be a good choice -- not only is it ongoing, but also the tone is pretty wrong. (It's simultaneously too epic and too gritty for Doug to fit in well.) However, some of his older works might work, though they'd be fairly off-beat as steps go. The Armageddon Rag has some cool music-related stuff, which might interact oddly with Doug's powers; Fevre Dream would give a chance to do Doug on the 19-century Mississippi River with an interesting take on vampires. Tuf Voyaging might be the oddest mix, but perhaps actually the most workable story-wise, since it's a collection of short stories.
Thoughts on either of these?
Re: Step suggestions
Goerge RR Martin is an overrated hack.
Hey, you asked for thoughts.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
www.yggdrasil.org
Never been a Xena fan. I've watched like five episodes total -- and that includes a) a Xena/Hercules show at a studio tour some years ago, and b) adding up all the 30-second snips and bits I spotted while changing channels over the years. The only full episode I remember ever watching was the one that ripped off the plot of "Groundhog Day".
As for George RR Martin, well... I have been tempted to send Doug to "Wild Cards"...

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...
Re: Wild Cards
Urg, don't. While it's close enough to his normal environs that I'm sure he could cope, and perhaps even do well, given that he'd be considered an Ace, it's really too gritty IMO.
I don't expect Doug would be immune against some of the more annoying jerks in that world, such as (depending on when he arrived) Demise, the Jumpers, the Astronomer, Puppetman, etc. And that could ruin his whole day.
Plus of course, since he never caught the wild card, there'd be the risk that he might get infected with it (particularly if he ran into Croyd Crenson that one time he became infectious).
future steps?
I dunno the first thing that came to my mind when trying to come up with a good place to put doug, is the blade runner universe. Tongue
but then it probably wont work because it is already too much like BGC Smile And after BGC I doubt Doug would ever want to see such a universe again.
Quote:
Urg, don't.
Well, then, how about Beauty and the Beast?
Quote:
I don't expect Doug would be immune against some of the more annoying jerks in that world, such as (depending on when he arrived) Demise, the Jumpers, the Astronomer, Puppetman, etc.
Immune? No. But anything which in V&V would require an attack roll -- and that's just about all of their powers -- would be impeded by his field. And some of them aren't very different (in terms of the effects of their powers) from some of the foes faced by the Warriors over the past 17+ years. There are tactics and techniques we've developed to handle things like that.
Of course, who he has to deal with depends a lot on when he shows up.
Quote:
Plus of course, since he never caught the wild card, there'd be the risk that he might get infected with it (particularly if he ran into Croyd Crenson that one time he became infectious).
There is that. Hmmm... might be fun.

-- Bob
---------
And all the girlies say I'm pretty dry for a wet guy...
Quote:
Goerge RR Martin is an overrated hack.

You should stop insulting "Overated Hacks."
Shakespear was considered an overrated hack while he was alive.
So are most Fanfiction writers.
I stand corrected, for some reason I didn't recall he did Wild Cards.
Now, he's an overrated hack. He wasn't before.
Wild Cards ruled. I just absolutely loath the stuff he's written in the past few years. "Song of Ice and Fire" is crap.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
www.yggdrasil.org
Quote:
I just absolutely loath the stuff he's written in the past few years. "Song of Ice and Fire" is crap.
I disagree that it's crap, but it's definitely not the best thing he's done.
I think what happened is that when he got tired of Hollywood he noticed that huge bricks of high fantasy were selling really well, and that he could do it better than Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind (this isn't hard).
His earlier novels are significantly better, and are now apparently coming back into print. And Wild Cards was a lot of fun.
(Wild Cards trivia note: the Turtle's public housing apartment in Bayonne, New Jersey, was in fact the apartment in which GRRM grew up.)
Quote:
Wild Cards ruled. I just absolutely loath the stuff he's written in the past few years. "Song of Ice and Fire" is crap.
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I've enjoyed the epic scale of the Songs of Ice and Fire series. It feels like Clavell or Michner doing fantasy to me. To each his own ....
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."