Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diskworld
Diskworld
Hi,
have you ever read one of the diskworld novels from Terry Pratchett? If not -- do. It's worth your while. And if you like it and Terry agrees -- perhaps let Doug go on some twisted vacation in the diskworld realm, perhaps forcing him to find a song there to get off to the next stop ... given the peculiarities of that world, that may be enough of a task ... :-)
Greetings,
Cal
Re: Diskworld
Oh, I have a hardbound first US printing of "The Color of Magic"... I've been reading Pterry for a while...
I'd hesitate to put Doug there for a couple reasons. One, the major one, is that it's a live franchise, and will probably stay that way for years to come. I won't fic a live franchise for fear of damaging it. Since Pterry is lampooning all manner of genres and story types as he goes along, it's only a matter of time until he reaches superheroes. And I wouldn't want to accidentally abort that book just because a fic of mine raised sticky rights issues.
The second reason is that I think the Doug would either be seriously injured by the very nature of the Disc, or he'd like it so much he'd never leave...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Diskworld
> [...] And I wouldn't want to accidentally abort that
> book just because a fic of mine raised sticky rights
> issues.
This one is not really valid, I think. I believe Pterry and you could come to some agreement along the lines of 'go ahead, do what you want' ... Unfortunately that still leaves the other issues ... :-(
Greets,
Cal
Terry Pratchett
Interesting point, I was talking to one of my friends and it turns out she knew Terry Partchett a few years ago - in fact she played AD&D with him.
Which led to her catchphrase (since she first DMed, at the age of 9) of 'I wouldn't let Terry Pratchett play a GOlden Dragon, so nor can you'.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Terry Pratchett

-- Bob
---------
ton message bob
a fait peut etre 2 fois que je vais seule sur internet: j'ai horreur de l'ordinateur! et je suis terriblement du par le net parceque les textes traduits en francais sont plus difficile que les textes originaux! Ce qui fait que je n'est rien compris ton message! et c'est dommage car tu l'air intressant!!! en sperant que tu aura saisi le message! dieu : je ne reviendrai pas (mme si j'aime bien l'aspect social!!)
Re: ton message bob
My french is good enough that I can get the just of what they're saying, but not good enough to reply... *sigh*
For those of you who don't get it - here's the basics:

He has a horrible computer, and he has trouble with the 'net because the translation of most of the pages is terrible. That's why he can't understand Bob's stories, and that's too bad since he thinks they're interesting. He won't be back, even if he likes the social aspect of the boards.

Too bad... despite the language barrier, s/he seems like a nice person.
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Je parle vous francois, tres petit
It sounds like they're dealling with the Babelfish translation of the site.
(Note to anyone using Babelfish it sure helps to have an understanding of Japlish (or a similar 1980s VCR manual language) for some of it's output)
Question is: why the heck would they post it here? In this thread?
Oh and getting back to the thread topic, sort of. How 'bout Doug visits PTerry's SF universe (not the gnome one, the other one) as I'm pretty sure PTerry's not going to go back there again.
--Rod.H
"Yn dda oedd dyn iasol difrodi gan testun."
Re: ton message Bob
Thanks for the translation, Josh; I was about to paste it into Babelfish myself -- although I used to be reasonably fluent in French, 20-some years ago, my fluency has degraded to the point where I could only understand about half of that.
One thing I really can't figure is the subject: literally, "Your message Bob". That plus the other references to "my message" in the text make it sound like I've communicated with this person before, but to the best of my knowledge I haven't. At least under the name "Delphine", and I certainly haven't exchanged any French-language email with anyone. Curious.
And I have no clue either why it's in this thread.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Je parle vous francois, tres petit
Quote:
Oh and getting back to the thread topic, sort of. How 'bout Doug visits PTerry's SF universe (not the gnome one, the other one) as I'm pretty sure PTerry's not going to go back there again.
Is this the one that "Strata" is set in? Because that's the only book of his that I've read which was anything close to SF.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Strata
Quote:
Is this the one that "Strata" is set in? Because that's the only book of his that I've read which was anything close to SF.

Yep, that's the one. I'm sure he was having a dig at someone(s) when he wrote that, but it is the closest book of his that I've read to SF.
--Rod.H
I'd have to dig out my copy from wherever it is, because I literally haven't read it since the middle 1980s.

-- Bob
---------
It's a parody of Larry Niven's "Ringworld".
(Doug in the Carpet People world would be fun... assuming he had some reason to shrink to nigh-microscopic size.)
--Sam Ashley
"I think I got a bone bruise."
Pratchett SciFi
Dark Side of the SUn is also quite good, although I haven't seen a copy in years.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Oh yeah, I knew it was a Ringworld parody. It's just that I remember almost nothing about it, save the moment the starship comes upon the world and the crew boggles, and something vague about what's on the underside of the planet. Can't remember what, though.

-- Bob
---------
Never heard of Carpet People or Dark Side of the Sun. I'll have to go looking for them.

-- Bob
---------
Other Pratchett Novels
"Carpet People", which may or may not have a "The" in front...I really can't remember...is pretty much set up like a generic fantasy novel. Young man from a remote town must travel to see the world, save his people from an evil menace, and become a hero - stuff like that. Along the way, he discovers he has a mysterious power. The usual.
Except that it takes place in, well, a carpet. The major natural disaster that strikes people of the carpet is 'Fray'. Varnish is mined from a pillar that is said to stretch to the heavens. It's called 'Achairleg'.
I've read "The Dark Side Of The Sun", though I can't remember much about the plot. I recall the protagonist undergoes some kind of regenerative treatment that makes him go all green, and his Godfather is a sentient planet, a planet who rents his services out as the Galaxy's largest bank, but not much beyond that.
Like "Strata", and the world of "Truckers", "Diggers", and "Wings", it doesn't look like sequels to these two novels are coming down the river anytime soon.
-- Acyl
Other Pratchett Novels
Not exactly SciFi, but ... Do you know his Johnny books
(Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny and the Bomb and Johnny and the Dead, I believe)? Maybe for a philosophical short story?
For any who don't know: Johnny is a weired kid with a tendency to do the impossible -- talk to the dead (on the graveyard, literally), make peace with the enemies in a computer game and time travel.
-- Cal
PS: Concerning 'Dark side of the Sun':
www.amazon.de/exec/obidos...26-9530940
German Amazon
Could you please provide a link to an English-language version of Amazon?I only know a few words of German,and I'm not sure if there are any others on this board who can read the German language.
Re: German Amazon
2 minutes' effort on Amazon yields this page.

-- Bob
---------