Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doc Sidhe
Doc Sidhe
Ever read "Doc Sidhe" and "Sidhe Devil" by Aaron Allston? Now that would be an interesting step to say the least! If you haven't read these, I urge you to take a look at the first one online at Baen books. They made the entire first novel "Doc Sidhe" downloadable or readable online for free at their website. You can download "Doc Sdihe" here or read it online in html format here. It's a great story, and Doug would have an absolute BLAST in the Fair world!
-Logan
----------
Legolas - Obviously an Elvish word meaning "Gatling Gun".
----------
Re: Doc Sidhe
Hmm. I dunno. I mean, yeah, I recommend the books unreservedly, but Doug's power level is a little high for the venue.
On the other hand, one of the properties of the Fair World is that the act of arriving utterly -trashes- anything that's too much in advance of the local tech base... which is somewhere around the 1920s. Like certain helmets. Or probably polykev.
This gives Doug a specific motivation for interacting with the Sidhe Foundation - he's trying to get his gear fixed - and simultaneously pulls him somewhere closer to the same power level as the rest of our cast, throwing him back on innate powers and skills.
He's still way badass by local standards, but hey, what can you do?
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
While I would be first in line to read a Doc Sidhe fanfic -- seeing as how it and its sequel are two of my most favoritest books ever -- I think Bob said something about not doing DW Steps in active series. And Allston left me with the impression that he would at least like to do more the last time I talked with him (although that was a year ago, before Sidhe-Devil came out).
I also think that Doug would do very poorly there. Doug has already demonstrated an elitist attitude when dealing with "crunchies." All of the characters from Allston's books, with the exception of Doc, Alistair, Ixail, and perhabs Gaby, are talented normals, and they, despite their magical abilities, are not superhero magi. I fear that his power levels and general attitude would paint him the villain of the piece.
That, and the presence of so many deities actively aiding worshippers would give him the screaming heebie-jeebies.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Way badass is a good thing, in my opinion. The V&V players here might already know this, but Doug's punches normally do something like 100 feet of knockback on normals... (Why I Love V&V, Part 27 in a 5-million-part series...) (It's a good thing we've always ignored knockback in the Warriors...)
Anyway, Ed Becerra has been urging me to read these books for a long time. Thanks to him, I even have the first one in RTF format (courtesy of the Baen free library website) on my machine at home. Now that I've finished That Damned Book (and am now in the pounding-my-head-on-walls-because-I-wrote-something-stupid phase), maybe I can get around to reading it, finally... When I do, I'll get back to folks, okay?

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.