Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Avatars
SI Avatars
While not a serious suggestion, it would be... interesting to see Loon run into some of the various SI avatars running around. Grey, for example, would be an interesting omake, and my avatar from Growth would... well... definately change Doug's view of dieties in general, even more than Belldandy & co., and don't even get me started on what would happen if he ran into my avatar from Rebirth (shameless plug for a fic that's nearing release).
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Re: SI Avatars
Not that I really have enough written for Doug to bump into, but I've already discussed a possibility of Doug running into my avatar in the shared multiverse set up by myself and a friend. Of course the answer was "well, I'd need to see more, and then it's still just a maybe" Smile
Mind you, I think Doug would probably get along with my avatar fairly well - this sums up my imagined interaction between the two so far:
Doug: So, what do you do?
Me: I keep an eye on the self-proclaimed "Rulers of the Universe," and smack them when they need it.
Doug: (suspiciously) And who gave you that job?
Me: Nobody. I don't particularly want the job, but somebody's got to do it. Besides, the completely messed up my life, so this is my way of paying them back.
Doug: Ahh...
Of course, Doug could always interact with someone elsemore established, but that's Bob's call (and yes, I know something I won't tell, even if Injun Joe _is_ ticklish Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
**Cough** Twister **Cough**
**Cough** Legion **Cough**"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Well, yeah, the Legion's Quest crossover hasn't been a secret in a long, long time. It's even completely plotted out -- Ed and I just have to actually decide to write the thing.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
...It's almost a pity Chris Schumacher won't be there. Then you'd have a full meeting of what Bailesu-sama dubbed the Legion of Super Otaku. Wink
And, for the record, I said ALMOST.
--Sam
(who will succumb to the insert lure one of these days, but given that the hero of Ultima is -supposed- to be the player, any proper Ultima fanfic SHOULD be an SI. Right?)
Ranma/Ultima 7 & 3/8: The Martial Virtues.
Who? No, never mind I've a feeling that I might not wanna know...
I have run a SI avatar in a place Fanatic joneses 'bout from time to time where ever you find him and found it interesting even if led me to think up a hand of them to run in other places. I just don't have any plots to use them in. A universe, scenerios and fragments a plenty. Just no direction to send them in. And no I don't think Bob would want to send Doug my way anyhows. Muck perhaps for a cameo scene with my Hummer owner (FRED & BUH-A: Bloody Ugly Hummer-Alpha mode)
--Rod.H
"Asuka-ken!?! Does every vehicle of yours have to be called that?" "Why not? Asuka's a good name and Noa does similar." "But Noa pilots an Ingram not a Workbee set up for modified-class astroid racing"
Heh!!!
Yeah, I could almost see that... dunno if I'd write it though. Of course, it wouldn't be that hard to cross with Doug, in theory, since they're both doing the serial bit. I recall when I first started, feeling worry when I first came across DW because of the similarities. Of course, since then I've stopped worrying, cause with one execption Bob is using different series than I am... with two possible exceptions. Remember the rather long thread about Sailor Moon? Just glad I went there first. My real concern was that my next stop after the Ranmaverse (which got kept because Bob HATES Ranma) IS the AMG."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
Quote:
the Ranmaverse (which got kept because Bob HATES Ranma)
Oh, no, I don't hate Ranma, not at all. Peg and I were buying the Viz videotapes up until the beginning of the the "Hard Battle" season, and now that Viz is doing all the box sets, we're going to be catching up as soon as we can afford it. I really quite fond of the Ranmaverse. It's just that SIs in Ranma have been so overdone -- it's almost the definition of an over-the-top SI. And since one of the points of the Walk was to invert and/or satirize some of the typical SI tropes, well, the only way to do that in Ranma would be either the idea I posted in response to Annoying Kitsune Kaydee some months back, or to simply go there and not do anything at all.
-- Bob
---------
Or to do what my Rebirth avatar does, which is... unique. Since Rebirth is nearing the end of its first chapter or so, at 57 KB (so far), I figure it's about ready for the FFML; some of the scenes need refinement.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that, Aleh. Let us know when you post, okay, just so I and others don't miss it? Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Oh, no, I don't hate Ranma, not at all. Peg and I were buying the Viz videotapes up until the beginning of the the "Hard Battle" season, and now that Viz is doing all the box sets, we're going to be catching up as soon as we can afford it. I really quite fond of the Ranmaverse. It's just that SIs in Ranma have been so overdone -- it's almost the definition of an over-the-top SI.
Mea culpa. For some reason I had you confused with Gryphon (the cheif editor of Undocumented Features, for anyone who doesn't know. And if you dont, GO FIND IT!! Its well worth the read!)
And, of course, Ranma is a perfect example of Sturgeon's law as applied to Fanfiction. 90% of it's Ranma, and 90% of THAT is... not well written. And bob's right. Once upon a time, it seemed like 90% of all Ranma FF also included a rediculously overpowerd SI... All of which are things Bob has said he's been trying to stay away from. There's a REASON why there's that quote about 'Inverting Fanfic Cliches since..." in the quote rotation."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."

NO QUARTER!!!
Quote:
Once upon a time, it seemed like 90% of all Ranma FF also included a rediculously overpowerd SI...
Twister
I love the hell out of the better stuff in Twisted Path, but, damn. Would you like to be able to spit megaton nukes, while you're at it, guy?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Would you like to be able to spit megaton nukes
Well, by the time my SI Avatar reaches the end of his lifetime he wields power output roughly equivalent to that of a Class A0 star, but that's after about half a _billion_ years, and there's good reason for it (plus it's _very_ rarely used at that level)...
But I think my concept is fairly Unique - I gotta actually write it up at some point Smile
Offsides
Class A0? That would be a really bright white star but wouldn't the size have something to do with the power output?
It's certainly more powerful than my SI avatar, who might be able to give Gosunkugi an noogie. Of course since he has a B5 double-barrelled jump engine and occasionally crosses the beams...
...he's still pretty potent in sheer firepower if he's got his ship with him (well HE calls it a ship. Most observers call it: "WTF? My sensors must be fragged, they say that destroid's two miles tall!").
drakensis
COL SANDERS: "Metamorphasis is completed, sir. Spaceball 1 has now become..." boom boom boom "...Mega Maid."
BARF: "Oh my gosh. It's not just a spaceship. It's a transformer."
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:
Class A0? That would be a really bright white star but wouldn't the size have something to do with the power output?
Power output is related to both size and brightness - like I said, he has access to a rediculous amount of power. Fortunately, it's not needed most of the time.
People tend to say "WTF?" to his ship too, but mostly 'cause it's made of junk Smile
Offsides
Size matters
Quote:
Power output is related to both size and brightness - like I said, he has access to a rediculous amount of power. Fortunately, it's not needed most of the time.
I agree that it's a hellacious amount of power, I was just wondering what size of A0 star he's equivalent to. After all, the range from I (supergiant) to VI (dwarf) is pretty sizeable.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Size matters
Hadn't gotten that far in the thinking range, but most likely an A0IV or A0V. I know it's not a supergiant, but beyond that I don't know. THe entire timeline is so bloody huge that I haven't detailed very much of it yet...
Offsides
Little Rebirth teaser:

"Yes, well, a little knowledge of the future can go a long way. I was fluent in English even before I learned our dialect."
"Still, using your knowledge to found a priesthood in the middle of the Amazon rainforest and naming it the 'Order of Explosive Flatulence'?"

or...

Saotome Ranma stared. Whatever he had imagined Saffron's brother looking like, a tall, black-haired gaijin wearing cargo pants and a t-shirt covered by an apron (which had 'I LUV 2 COOK' embroidered on it) was *NOT* on the list. "Umm...," he said, scratching the back of his neck, "I'm sorry, I seem to have the wrong address..."
Seeing his reaction, I burst into laughter. "No, Ranma," I replied between chuckles, "Thou art in the right place. I'm Alexander of Hououzan, by the way."
Ranma sweatdropped. "Err... why are you talking like that?"
Now it was my turn to sweatdrop. "I didst learn thy tongue from a retainer of Tokugawa Ieyasu, I'm afraid. Mine speech may be a bit archaic as a result."
Ranma facefaulted. Hard.

Or...

"Ya do realize that Oyaji's just gonna steal this, right?"
I smirked. "That is the plan," I repled, "'Tis a cure for baldness, all right. 'Tis also the inspiration for those Chia Pets thou doest see from time to time."
Basically, my avatar in that story spends his time doing two things: One, dealing with the cast openly and honestly, stating that he wants something and offering things in exchange....
and, two, and the thing that I think is pretty darn unique: Seeing just how many times he can get the various members of the cast to facefault.
Oddly enough this thread gets me thinking about the Munchkin card game, the card named "Stop telling the GM about your character" to be precise.
Quote:
and, two, and the thing that I think is pretty darn unique: Seeing just how many times he can get the various members of the cast to facefault.
I'd like to see that.
Sounds like your guy is the bright side of Lara Bartram's infamous "Dojo Raider" series.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Oddly enough this thread gets me thinking about the Munchkin card game, the card named "Stop telling the GM about your character" to be precise.
Makes me think about the "Super Munchkin" card... "I'm a martial artist and a world class matchmaker!"

-- Bob
---------
Yeah, that's one way of looking at it, but the Ranma side of things isn't why Doug meeting him would be funny... it's his (and my) sense of humor. We're talking about an avatar who went through the trouble of *PERSONALLY* shepherding the life of an Egyptian Pharoah just to ensure that sooner or later modern archaeologists would stumble upon the Tomb of King Tuttifrutti. More on the Ranma side, though, we have lines like (to Kho Lon) "How many times do we [the Northern Hououzanjin (not to be confused with Saffron's followers)] have to tell you that there's a difference between a really big ki blast and a thermonuclear warhead?"
Rather than defend my case, I prefer to let it speak for itself:
www.geocities.com/talegiv...stone.html
The first part needs to be edited, and my writing group's archivist could have formatted it better, but that's neither here nor there. Spotting the in-jokes means that you passed the Geek Check and can feel appropriately smart.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Opening link right now... what the hell, I've got 45 minutes to kill before I have to make dinner.

-- Bob
---------