Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon Wars
Toon Wars
Quote:
Star Wars would be fun, but for the moment I'm not considering it. Basically, Doug has to be ignorant of transfictionality until at least DW10. To this end, he's not an anime fan, nor does he know any more about Science Fiction than can be found in general pop culture. Star Wars is one of those things that, especially at his age, with his family in the movie business, and generally being immersed in American pop culture, he couldn't help but know about. Throwing him into that universe would put him somewhere he would easily recognize as "fictional" back home; so if I do write something like this, it would have to be after DW10 -- which is to say, not to be written for a long, long time.
While he must know the movies and the generality of the SW universe, you can toss him in either before or well after the trilogy... He'll see things that remind him of the movies but dismiss them as "naahh... couldn't be. Must be a coincidence..." As an example, you could have him meet Mace Windu shortly after he became a Jedi Knight or something....
Just a thought...
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Re: Toon Wars
That's one possible way of doing it, yeah... (Anything in the first trilogy might be fair game -- Doug left Warriors' World almost a year before Episode I premiered...)

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Maybe he could keep Anakin from becoming such a twin, thereby saving the Universe....
Alternatively, he could give Anakin the moral fiber he needs to find redemtion in Jedi...
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Quote:
Maybe he could keep Anakin from becoming such a twin, thereby saving the Universe....
Actually, it's rather interesting that you say that.
Some backstory here. Beta had an adventure where a lot of "fictional" characters -- the X-Men, some Transformers, Darth Vader, a few others -- were either summoned or somehow given form in the "real" world. I'm not clear on this, as I wasn't a player in Beta, and I wasn't there, but at the end of the adventure these fictional characters sort of evaporated, and parts of their "essence" went into compatible people all over the world. A couple of these were Warriors -- Helen's character Panther got a massive boost in her psychic sensitivity from someone, I forget who, for example
Anyway, not long after that, we started up a new sub-campaign of Warriors World, which we called "Strikeforce". It wasn't a Warriors-level game with international focus, but a local-level team based in New Brunswick which hired itself out as contract security. I forget who the GM was, but John "Skitz" Freiler, co-creator of Arcanum, had decided that his character was some geeky kid who had received the essence of Darth Vader, had built himself a light saber, and was calling himself "Anakin". John later admitted that his intent was to make the character thoroughly dislikeable, such that the other team members would have a great deal of friction with him, causing him to quit the team and from there evolve into a supervillain for John's future use in the main campaign.
Well, it didn't work that way. The rest of the team had, between their perceptiveness and their players' meta-level knowledge, figured out that the kid was more or less who he said he was, and they worked out the best way, in their opinion, to keep him from going off the deep, Dark end:
They made him team leader, paid close attention to his orders and instructions, were very respectful when they disagreed, and pretty much never gave him anything to complain about. (We also figured it was a good place to put him, where everyone could see him. )
John went crazy. We weren't ostracizing his future Sith. We were, in fact, doing everything we could to keep him on the Bright side, without being slavishly submissive to his every whim. The subcampaign petered out long before John could do anything with Anakin other than be a respected team leader. I suppose by the fact that no Sith have yet showed up in the game world that our tactics worked.

-- Bob
---------
Now, now I was a tad miffed that the party had managed to ruin a cool villan in the making, but the skill's used and the insight, especially from Captain Geek, in recognizing what was going on and going from there to formulate a plan to manage Anakin knowing that he may well lean toward the dark side, but as of yest has not gone over, and thus is saveable was tres kewl. That they were also plotting ways to wipe him out should the need arrise was also "kewl". It made for a nice edgy character.
Quote:
Now, now I was a tad miffed that the party had managed to ruin a cool villan in the making,
Oh, come on. You of all people should know that no plan survives contact with the enemy.
And yes, all the plans and contingency plans were cool. And fun to make. The fact that we had documentary evidence of what he could do at the height of his powers was very helpful as well.

-- Bob
---------