Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Because We've Been Watching "Sakura Wars"...
Because We've Been Watching "Sakura Wars"...
Kohran pushed her glasses up her nose, never taking her eyes off the unconscious man on the cot. "It is not unheard of," she said quietly. "There are ancient words for people who could do this, who could project their spirit energy out of their body in any way that they wanted.""There are?" Ohgami's eyes snapped to hers. "What are they?""Shugenja," Kohran whispered. "Magus. *Wizard*."---------------"It's a beautiful piece of work, but you'd never find me getting into one."---------------"What are you using to generate your steam? I mean, don't get mewrong, but I don't see a coal car hanging on the back of these things. And you guys have neither the theory or the resourcesfor atomics."Kohran gave me a sly little smile, spun a couple of dogs and popped open a hatch. "Look there. See?"I frowned at first, not sure of what I was seeing. It didn't seem to make sense, like an Escher print expressed in reality.Then I had a sudden moment of double vision, as two completely different paradigms overlapped and blended. "Holy shit," I whispered. "Ah, you understand. Yes," Kohran replied. "It is what you think."I shook my head. "And I thought *my* world had a handle on magitech. I'd never have... I mean... *damn,* woman."She giggled.
(No promises... just a little fun I came up with.)

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Because We've Been Watching "Sakura Wars"...
Oh, and I've actually written as much again as that sample, but it has spoiler material for DW5 in it, so I ain't a-postin' it.

-- Bob
---------
*big, sad, puppydog prereader eyes*
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Right. I want to see this. I want to see this about as bad as I want to see the Oh My Goddess and Evangelion steps. Oh my. Oh my yes.
You _have_ shown that to Gryphon haven't you? He'd get a kick out of it. ^_^
-Logan
--------------------
(Ahhhhggghh! Not the kowaii kawaii otaku big eyes!! Too... much... cuteness... puchu!! QUICK!! WHERE'S MY INSULIN!!!)
Quote:
Oh, and I've actually written as much again as that sample, but it has spoiler material for DW5 in it, so I ain't a-postin' it.
OK Bob, I didn't help you set up the current incarnation of the pre-readers' list for nothin' Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
I only have a copy here at work, Josh. I haven't brought it home yet. Tonight, hopefully, I will post it. But be aware, it's not like it's really on the schedule at all. It's just that I now have the Sakura Wars theme on a CD I play in the car, and I had some Ideas while running the track on endless loop...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
You _have_ shown that to Gryphon haven't you? He'd get a kick out of it. ^_^
Gryphon doesn't read anyone else's fanfiction -- I asked him once, long ago, if he'd ever seen DW, and he let me know that. Not unkindly, just matter-of-factly. So I don't bug him about my stuff, much as I'd love to arrange an intersection.

-- Bob
---------
re: Because We've Been Watching "Sakura Wars"...
For some reason Bob, your desciption of Kohbu's engineering space is making me picture a tesseracted space containing all the mechanicals and other stuff. Which completely runs in the opposite direction of how I think the Kohbus are powered (coal gas generator/boiler linked to a Sterling-cycle engine, controled by a type-W/N hybrid interface), but hey it's your story you can do the tech any way you want.
--Rod.H (who still trying to work out the AV-98s drivetrain)
Re: re: Because We've Been Watching "Sakura Wars".
It helps that I have absolutely no mechanical engineering knowledge... I was trying to figure out why a) the Kohbu have so much power with so little obvious engine space and b) why it requires a psychic of some variety just to get them to move (when any half-witted steam-age engineer can build a drive train and a steering wheel that a gerbil could pilot). And I came to the conclusion that the pilot's spirit energy acted as a supercharger on what was otherwise a woefully underpowered engine. Because in the V&V paradigm, psionics, magic and generic "super powers" all are fueled by power points, these power points are clearly the same as "spirit energy"; and since Doug tends to see things in magical terms when he's not being a pure engineer, he sees a technomagic solution in place. Technically, the series makes it clear that the system is actually psychotronic, but Doug's got more training in magic, and it all comes from the same place ultimately, anyway.

-- Bob
---------
Hmm....
I can some what grok that, as my view of the Kohbu systems still has it somewhat underpowered and unable to do Ki attacks, but I may have described the basics of the prototype unit, I don't really know, all I have to go on is OVA series 1 & the movie.
Heh, Kohbu Unit-00 anyone?
--Rod.H
Re: Hmm....
Don't get me started thinking of a fusion, or the next thing you know we'll have a ten-year-old Asuka dragging a teddy bear everywhere...

-- Bob
---------