Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looney Toons in the Shell
Looney Toons in the Shell
Ya know.... Ghost in the Shell might be an interesting place for Doug to make a stop-over. It's similar to BGC in tone, but the attitude towards androids and cyborgs is much closer to what he's used to... it'd make for an interesting contrast...
-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Re: Looney Toons in the Shell
Hm. I'll have to go see the movie again. As I recall, it's sort of a "hidden supers" world, isn't it? The cyborgs aren't exactly public knowledge. Might be interesting.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
They're certainly known of and it's accepted that they exist as people... even if they're not common...
I envision Doug as showing up randomly, getting involved in an Op as a bystander who fights back, and promptly has every government agency looking for him for various reasons.... either because they want the technology of Lightning's Hand to study, or revenge on the guy that screwed up the Op, or simple recruitment. Chaos ensues. Doug meets the Major and discovers what's going on. She decides to help him evade capture, while he tries to build her a better body using his BGC-accumulated knowledge.... or something like that...-Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
That actually sounds like it could work... I have GiTS Bob, so we could plan on watching it next time I visit...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Sounds like a plan, Josh.

-- Bob
---------
Hmmmm.....
I'd suggest hunting down a copy of the manga, too.
It's a nice read, goes into Shirow's usual uber-details on things...AND fleshes out the world a lot.
I likes it. ^^
Ja Ne!
Slacker
(Who's waiting for the GitS: 2 manga to go TPB.)
Re: Hmmmm.....
GITS isn't on the active roster yet, but I'll do that. I seem to recall the local Borders and Barnes and Noble's both having it on their manga shelves...

-- Bob
---------
Gits!
I'd suggest picking up the currently-being-released GitS TV series, 'Stand Alone Complex.'
As for the cyborgs, the activities or even existence of Section 9 and other special ops teams is not well-known. HOWEVER, cyborgs generally are common as dirt. Virtually everyone has at least a cyberbrain. Robots are fairly common; all of the bridge bunnies working for Aramaki are robots, not human, and of course there's the fuchikomas. And it's not unusual to see blatantly full conversion cyborgs -- for example most of the judges at Maj. Kusanagi's trial in the manga are those little black cubes on legs.
Even that garbageman had a cyberbrain, which is how he was able to get brain hacked by the Puppetmaster. Without one you're pretty much fated to even more menial jobs than that, even if there is the added assurance that you won't get hacked.
In the TV series, there is an assassination by a person who's face is masked with a computer generated overlay. Everyone sees it, and that's what the cameras pick up too. Only a couple of bums ever see the guy's real face.
Given that he can only use a computer as well as the natives for a few minutes per day, Doug would have problems getting by if he were in the GitS world for any significant span of time. In fact, I'm definately thinking of the scene in the TV series where various people are reading hardcopy documents that consist of barcodes of encrypted data. I'd bet Doug isn't literate in UPC.
However, not all of the Section 9 operatives are heavy cyborgs. Maj. Kusanagi and Bateau are full conversion 'borgs, but Togusa is almost entirely human.
Anyway, when I have a chance I can send you the fansubs of the GitS TV series. At the moment I've got a bad case of the finals, however. How did you like the Abenobashi stuff, incidentally?
Re: Gits!
Sounds like a serious challenge for Doug, if he were to end up there... Hm.
Quote:
Anyway, when I have a chance I can send you the fansubs of the GitS TV series. At the moment I've got a bad case of the finals, however.
Take your time and don't go out of your way; I'm seriously backlogged myself.
Quote:
How did you like the Abenobashi stuff, incidentally?
I haven't watched it yet. My little 350 Mhz Pentium II system doesn't seem up to the job, although come to think of it, I just found and yanked some spyware which had been eating cycles; maybe I'll try again this weekend after I finally finish the last tweaks for That Damned Book.

-- Bob
---------
A P2/350? Ah, you're probably fairly hosed then. I ought to be upgrading this summer, so if you're interested in a P3/800 cheap, drop me a line. I live in Camden so it's not like you'd have to pay to ship it; we're close enough for a face-to-face.
Alternatively, if you'd like to mail me some VHS tapes, I'm fairly sure I can get it off the computer that-a-ways.
Quote:
I ought to be upgrading this summer, so if you're interested in a P3/800 cheap, drop me a line.
I might take you up on that, although I've recently been staring intently at the motherboard page in the TigerDirect.com catalog I got in the mail last week...
Quote:
I live in Camden so it's not like you'd have to pay to ship it; we're close enough for a face-to-face.
Huh. We ought to include you in the infrequent get-togethers we seem to be holding for local folks I know off the Net...
Quote:
Alternatively, if you'd like to mail me some VHS tapes, I'm fairly sure I can get it off the computer that-a-ways.
Nah, that's okay. I might be buying that motherboard with a little of my tax refund money soon. Thanks, though.

-- Bob
---------