Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xenogears
Xenogears
Xenogears is a playstation game released in 1998. Now before you disregard this idea because you don't play Playstation please at least read the script of the game. It was created by Sheamon and in all is more than 800k of text.
Scipt for disk one is here- db.gamefaqs.com/console/p...disc_1.txt
for disk two- db.gamefaqs.com/console/p...disc_2.txt
The plot for Xenogears is hard to explain since the character you play is supposed to be kept in the dark about what really is happening in his world (that, and since he's schizo he doesn't remeber a lot of his past which is 10,000 years worth of info). My two major wants to see that Doug goes to this world are these: The gears(mecha) in this game have ether(magic) enhancing machines which allow the contorllers of the gears to cast stronger spells while fighting in the gears, the whole populace that live on the ground have been tricked into being divided and fighting a war with each other for the few hundred years so that the battle data can be used by Solaris(a floating, hidden city). The people on the land are also kidnapped, brainwashed, and turned into slaves for Solaris intill they die witch they are then made into food and medicine for the general populace.
The script for Xenogears will not be as good as the game since the script doesn't do a good job discripebing the visual parts of the game.
Here's a site with pitures of the game- www.rpgfan.com/pics/xenogears/index.html
Official web site- www.squaresoft.com/web/games/xenogears/
Re: Xenogears
OlympicHam,
I am looking for a copy of the game, preferably for less than the $50 it seems to be going for on eBay... contact me privately (PM me or go to my personal link and get my e-mail address from there) if you have any suggestions. Please note that I am willing to actually buy the game, I just don't want to spend that much Smile
Thanks,
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
XG is without a doubt the single finest RPG ever made for the PS1. The graphics are a bit dated now, but the story... oh good lord, the story...! I've played it all the way to the end -five times- now. Next time I may just get a bunch of video tapes and record the damn thing, edited down to the "good parts" version... Smile
(...and sorry Offsides, I'm -not- selling. Wink)
False religions, shadow wars, ancient technology, genetic manipulation, self-aware nanocolonies, Soylent Green, so many obscure kabbalistic and angelological(?) references that several eluded the otherwise abnormally good translation team, speculations on the nature of Man and God, layer upon layer of conspiracies and manipulators, a hero who is -more messed up than Cloud Strife!-, and a love that has lasted down ten thousand tragic years...
...all this and anime martial artists piloting giant robots.
I would LOVE to see a Step set here, but I can't see Bob having time to invest the 40-60 hours needed to really get a grip on the game...
(I don't know WHAT would happen if Doug got into a Gear equipped with an Ether Machine. Since he, alone in the world, wouldn't be drawing his powers from the Wave Existence through Zohar, it might not work on him at all. If it did... scaled-up, amplified chaos field...? Owie...)
Also, it comes with two kick-ass songs: Stars of Tears, the overworld theme; and Small Two of Pieces (yes, that's what it's called), the ending/romance theme.
Lyrics to S2oP, from memory (no Akio jokes please, it's all been done):
Run through the cold of the night
As passion burns in your heart
Ready to fight, a knife held close by your side
Like a proud wolf alone in the dark
With eyes that watch the world
And my name like a shadow
On the face of the moon
(ChorusSmile
Broken mirror, a million shades of light
The old echo fades away
But just you and I
Can find the answer, and then
We can run to the end of the world
We can run to the end of the world
Cold fire clenched to my heart
In the blue of night
Torn by this pain, I paint your name in sound
And the girl of the dawn with eyes of blue, and angel wings
The songs of the season are her only crown
(Repeat chorus)
We met in the mists of morning
And parted deep in the night
Broken sword and shield, and tears that never fall
But run through the heart
Washed away by the darkest water
The world is peaceful and still
(Repeat chorus)
...and Stars of Tears:
Your fingertips
Moving gently to my heart
The force of Life goes on and on
The song remains
Like a haunting melody
Of angel music held in chains
(Chorus)
And I ask you
Can we ease the pain of those who lost (The force of life goes on)
Can we know the cause of all this sorrow (Tears of Loneliness)
Can we catch the tears of a broken world
Falling down upon the earth...falling down...
The waves of time take me deeper into you
A haze as blue as summer skies
And turn to find
The key will not unlock the door
This broken bird away it flies
(repeat chorus)
I don't know what, if anything, those would do for Doug... but they're damn good.
(The prequel, -Xenosaga: Der Wille zur Macht- will be out soon... must... get... PS2...!)
--Sam Ashley
"How the hell did I do that?"
Wow - I like what I've heard about it, but that capule description of yours makes me even more interested. If you won't sell, maybe I can borrow it? Say, for a long as that romance you mentioned in it Smile
Seriously, if you're local to my area (greater Philadelphia and Boston areas - I've been splitting time for work), maybe we can arrange something.
Offsides
Sorry... first off I'm a creature of central-coast California (with occasional winter jaunts to Wisconsin); second, I'm about to introduce my girlfriend to the game (she thinks Kingdom Hearts and FFX are the bee's knees. Heh.); third... (MiB)you can have my Xenogears discs when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.(/MiB) Smile
(Seriously, if you knew how long it took me to find mine... the game was tragically underproduced...)
All I can say is, keep trying eBay and prowl Gamestops and (if they still exist) FunCoLand...
--Sam
"This... is the host for the spirit of the Slayer of God..."
I'm in the Philly area; perhaps we could work something out regarding selling it.
(I was rather disappointed with the beginning of the 2d disc, however)
True, that's the only real flaw... the abundance of lengthy cutscenes in Disc 2 at the expense of gameplay. I suspect it was meant to be a 3 or 4 disc game and they ran out of time or money or both...
--Sam
"Men!... Of the sea!... Never say die!"
Quote:
Wow - I like what I've heard about it, but that capule description of yours makes me even more interested. If you won't sell, maybe I can borrow it?
Josh, Helen's husband Attila has a copy. Or at least he did a couple years ago; he probably still has it. If he still has it, he'd likely have no problems with you borrowing it, if I vouch for you.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Preface: I am not a gamer in any real sense. I've never owned a Playstation or any other high-end box, and the only thing I really know about Xeno* is what I can dredge up on ye Web and what others tell me.
That said...
A friend of mine threw me a couple of Xenogears mp3s the other day, saying something like "you have GOT to hear this!" Since I collect anime music anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt. I now have both the Xenogears and Xenosaga soundtrack collections on back order.
This suggests something. %)
--
Mr. F, not quite right inna head.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
If you go to Yahoo! shooping and do a search for the game you can find it for $44.09 for brand new and for $37.99 Preowned. Both ship in 3-5 days and shipping costs around $5.
If you go to Squaresoft.com you can buy it for $39.95 plus $8.45 shipping, brand new. It takes around 7 to 10 days to ship though.
But if you really can't spend the cash for it I'm willing to let you borrow it Offsides (or Bob. Who IS writting this story, Drunkard's Walk?)
Wow! I didn't know they made doujin about Xenogears. Too bad I don't read japanese. (saw someone selling them on ebay.)
GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a bunch for all the replys. I'd rather purchase than borrow - I just can't see spending the $50+ it costs on e-bay for even a used copy... I'll check out squaresoft.com - I can wait on shipping, and I'm also interested in some of the older FF games, just for completeness sake Smile
Cpt. Kangarooski - contact me offline (e-mail or PM) if you want to sell your copy and we can discuss the possibility.
Offsides
PM didn't seem to like me. Gimme a mail at (in big-endian order) net.auspice.gryphon@cpt and we'll talk.
zoit
Xenogears is an incredibly complex world filled to the brim with conflict, both overt and subversive. Doug would have his hands full in dealing with it, methinks.
Offsides > any luck in acruing a copy of Xenogears? I recall seeing several cheaply priced (used) copies in my local Gamestop. I'd be willing to toss one your way, if they still have one left.
oh yeah
Oh yeah - don't PM me, as EZ board isn't very nice to me. If you need to privately contact me, my e-mail address is trodamus@gamentropy.com
Re: oh yeah
Got it, played it most of the way through, and haven't had time for it since then Smile I'll probably start over again anyway, since I really want to record a few of those scenes for use in an AMV that's brewing in the back of my mind...
Offsides
If all you're replaying it for is for the anime cutscenes, why not just rip them via PSMplay?
'cause I'm new3 to the playstation scene and didn't know about it? Smile Actually, I'm at a point where I want to try to do a few things differently in the earlier game before I finish it, becasue right now I have no $ and need to get some upgrades..s
Offsides
Because it's more fun that way?

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Well, having ripped the movies off the discs I finally got to hear the two songs on it and you're right EML - they are great. Stars of Tears is lovely and catchy, I just wish it was longer. Small Two of Pieces, OTOH, is just plain WOW. The first time I heard it it promptly went into my list of great songs that I could listen to over and over again. I've found a full MP3 rip of the japanese version, and now I just need to find a good one of the english version so I can do another cross-mix like I did for Kingdom Hearts... Anybody got any suggestions Smile
Offsides