Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MACROSS 7 PROPOSAL
MACROSS 7 PROPOSAL
Hey, long time for me to not post . . .

So anyway, I've decided that I wanted to try my hand at a Drunkard's Walk on the Macross 7. I thought *maybe* on the Macross or even during Macross Zero, but figured that not only are there enough happy-go-lucky-yet-serious-in-combat guys in both series, but also that the character interactions would be better.
Again, I am following the model laid-down in DWII, wherein a peripheral character would be the "in" for the rest of the cast, and here I have chosen Rex, the leader of the Macross 7's bike gang who follow Fire Bomber around. Rex and Doug's relationship is going to be platonic and only that. Rex is, at first, too hung up on Basara and then too used to thinking of Doug as "a guy I know, kind of a friend, i guess *scratch head in anime befuddlement*" to go with Doug. There'd be the sort of easy camaradery that having a common interest would bring in.
Doug, of course, has the primary super-hero duty of defending the citizens of the fleet from the attacks of the Proto-devlin, particularly the most powerful ones. Though he has some successful offensive encounters, he's mostly defensives since he can only go toe-to-toe with Syvil, and even then she could probably beat him in space. Frankly, I think that he'd serve better in a defensive mode, trying to limit the damage the fleets and big ships do. Also, he could try to break up the "vampires" that infiltrate the ship in the beginning of the series.
CHARACTER INTERACTIONS:
Basara and Doug: this is, frankly, an explosive combination. Despite his happy-go-lucky attitude, Doug (it seems to me) *enjoys* teaching and LECTURING. Whether it's magic, tactics, or other, Doug enjoys lecturing on subjects. And Basara would ever and always either a) ignore him, b) walk past him, or c) tell doug to shut up. Doug would probably, to my mind, make it seem as if basara's rejection of his expertise as unimportant, but he'd be really annoyed and after a while would not bother to hide it. Basara *never* listens to other people, always does what he thinks best, and is both surly and stubborn about doing it. The annoying thing for Doug, as it is for everyone else, is that Basara is so often right. Eventually they would come to a truce and even get along in a certain way.
Mylene and Doug: they have a much easier relationship. Doug falls into the big brother role easily, something that Mylene never had (as all of her many siblings are all sisters), but she does chafe at times at the "big" part sometimes. He teases her about her relationship with Basara and Gamlin, while trying to convince her mother that Mylene doesn't need to get married quite so early (big mistake.)
Vifidas and Doug: Uhh . . . next.
Ray and Doug: Ray and Doug get along as mostly equals. Both easy going men. Nothing new here.
Milia and Doug: Depending on which story direction I want, this could go any way. Certainly antagonistic on her part, particularly as it relates to Mylene and her engagment.
Gamlin and Doug: Much like his relationship with Basara, Gamlin is greatly annoyed by Doug's unauthorized interference with the defense of the Macross 7 fleet. Not sure where to go yet there . . . maybe Gamlin, Doug and Basara form a sort of spectrum of personality types. Speaking of which, one wonders how much Doug likes being the lone vigilante.
Now, I am arguing with myself about whether Doug's abilities should be revealed or not. It could lead to some interesting avenues in the story, but then again I may be treading the same waters. At any rate, the real question is what to do with Anima-Spiritia. Anima-Spiritia, or rather Song Energy, has been shown to be a great power source, energizes people and frees their minds from mind control, and in fact promotes the growth and health of plant life (and other life, presumably.) So how does Doug's powers interact with Song energy? Does his powers get super-charged or what? And what would happen if he was hit with a pure dose of Song Energy? Some things to think about.
So, suggestions, comments, discouragments, and answers to questions are all welcomed.
-murmur
obviously insane
Re: MACROSS 7 PROPOSAL
I don't know anything about Macross 7, so I'll let someone else field this one...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I have it all fansubbed, but haven't watched more than the first couple of tapes. Interesting premis of a series, but not one that I think Doug would fit into well. Among other things, he's not well suited (no pun intended) for exoatmospheric mecha battles...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
"hmmm... Warm body, good reflexes, healthy, no critical job... Congratulations! You're drafted."
"WHAT?!"
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. There's a number of good series that just don't really lend themselves to being DW settings.
I've mentioned my idea before of having Doug be isolated in primitive environs relatively shortly after the big Zentraedi invasion, helping rebuild, and trying to make sense of what happened. (this does make some assumptions about the attack, but not awful ones IMO)
Of course, much better would be Karakurizoushi Ayatsuri Sakon. Wink For those who haven't seen it, it can be summed up like this: Sakon is a quiet 21st century puppeteer with keen detective skills. Ukon is a brash, red-headed, wooden boy from the Meiji Restoration that can't get enough of the chicks. They fight puppet-related crime!
Seriously. I swear I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
Other ideas:
* Last Exile (I'm not sure it's finished yet, though)
* A giant mecha crossover world? (Giant Robo/Mazinger/Gekiganger, etc.)
And of course, for fun, we could try to lump in as many magical girl anime into the Sailor Moon step as possible; I mean, it's apparently a time-honored tradition there, so why not?
Gekiganger...
...oooh, that'd be fun.
I still love the headtrip they did with Nadesico "recap" episode, by inverting the relationship between the two...

re: Magical Girl Cameos
Nice idea, but part of what I had in mind for the SM Step was the "first super in a normal world" thing for Usagi. Maybe a later Step...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Puppet-related crime??!
I don't want to know.
I just don't want to know.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Puppet-related crime
It's vaguely like Murder She Wrote, except that our heroes invariably encounter crimes that are somehow related to, or involve, puppets. If you've upgraded your machine, I can send you some episodes on CDR. It's well done, it's just a strange premise.
As for the magical girl cameos, well, put them in at the end, if you like. It can go from Akazukin Chacha all the way through Wedding Peach. You did say first, not only.
inappropriate enough?
I guess this brings up the subject of What exactly is a "good" step?
Certainly there having to be a vital enough role for Doug is, I think, the primary criterion. However, a good enough writer can make any situation into a good story.
For instance, Doug wouldn't be able to do much in the world of Hikaru No Go. But a good enough writer (not me) could make it into a good story.
Re: inappropriate enough?
Well, I'm not Bob, so I can't answer for him, but I can make a few observations based on all the discussions I've had with him about various step ideas:
1) There has to be at least some good reason for Doug's presense in the universe to be documented - i.e. there has to be a good story. Short pieces are possible (in fact IIRC Bob would like to do a few one-shots), as are things that aren't worth showing onscreen, but might be mentioned in passing as a throwaway.
2) Bob is trying to stay away from the SI-cliches of showing up and solving everyone's problems for them. Therefore, either it should be set outside the timeline of the main series, or should involve him in a way that doesn't significantly impact the established timeline.
3) Character is as important as action, if not more so. Just putting Doug into a universe to kick butt is not sufficient Smile
4) Whether he likes it or not, Doug seems to be a teacher of life, if nothing else. So he won't necessarily fix peoples' problems for them, but he can help them fix them themselves.
5) Bob tries to avoid "live" franchises, so that he doesn't step on things that people might change in the future. He also won't write stories in a world where he's been specifically requested not to by the author of the original world (e.g. DWI).
6) There is no rule number six.
7) No Poofters Smile
Just my $0.02 on the matter. Bob, feel free to whack me with an appropriate implement if I got anything wrong in 1-5. Six and seven are givens... Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Re: inappropriate enough?
Quote:
Bob, feel free to whack me with an appropriate implement if I got anything wrong in 1-5. Six and seven are givens... Smile
Oh, sure, force me to abuse you...
I think you hit all the high points... And until I typed that sentence, I had a couple of things to add, but of course they just fled my mind completely, dammit.
Maybe when I check back at lunchtime I'll have remembered them.
Oh, yeah, one of them: I won't do live franchises less to avoid changes that might invalidate what I write (although that's part of it), but because it's possible (if difficult/unlikely) to harm a live franchise. The Marion Zimmer Bradley case which got Mercedes Lackey so paranoid about fanfiction is a prime example.
More when I remember them.

-- Bob
---------