Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stampeding Loons
Stampeding Loons
Latest silly Step suggestion: Trigun.
Or maybe -not- so silly. Doug would have a fine old time in the even wilder west, trying to figure out what is -up- with the tech base on planet Gunsmoke (you guys can create thirty-foot-tall war cyborgs and you don't have RADIO?!); he'd find a kindred spirit in Vash (two, two, TWO goofy superheroes for the price of one!); and, oddly enough, the second chapter of the original manga was entitled "Loony Tunes". [Image: smile.gif]
(not very comprehensive guide: )
trigunner.giborama.com/tr...index.html
--Sam Ashley
"I'm betting I'm just abnormal enough to survive!"
RE: Stampedian Lunatic Rhapsody
It's true that, at first glance, Doug and Vash have a lot in common. They're both silly, irreverent, and far deeper than they like to act.
On the other hand, the more serious underlying strata are -completely- different, verging on opposite.
Doug is, at heart, a solder, a warrior. His job and duty is to hurt people before they can hurt others - or, if neccessary, to kill them.
I think we all know what Vash would think of -that-.
They have fundamentally conflicting worldviews - which would be a very interesting thing to base a story off of, I think.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Re: RE: Stampedian Lunatic Rhapsody
Not to mention the fact that - at least for the anime version - Trigun is a finished series. Although they certainly left it open in many ways. Like how the hell is Vash going to reform Knives? Oodles of conflict potential still left in that series.
-Logan
----------
Legolas - Obviously an Elvish word meaning "Gatling Gun".
----------
Hmmmmmm.
I like it.
I'm only a couple disks in on the anime, and I'd like to finish it all first before doing any serious thinking on the subject, but damn, you guys are right -- this would be fun. I can just see Doug and Vash each at different times turning to the "audience", pointing at the other, and saying, "I like him. He's silly."
And imagine the insurance girls' reactions to yet another focal point of inspired chaos...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
well they do have radio (there's a radio in the first episode) but yeah, a lot of the tech base in Trigun is very confused.
It might be interesting if Vash introduces himself the same way he does to Wolfwood:
"I am Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gumbigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentren Pierre Andre Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baideus George Doitzel Kaiser. Don't hesitate to call."
"How can I be this kick ass strong?! Powerful! Handsome! Charismatic! Gorgeous! Oh, Gods... Why do you burden me with such a heavy karma!"
- Dark Schneider, Bastard!!! #20
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:
It might be interesting if Vash introduces himself the same way he does to Wolfwood:
"I am Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gumbigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentren Pierre Andre Charton-Haymoss Ivanovicci Baideus George Doitzel Kaiser. Don't hesitate to call."
And it'd be funny as hell if Doug remembered that all and called it out at some point to get Vash's attention.

-- Bob
---------
And then you could go completely insane, show Doug the "Tainted Donuts" video, and draw the 'Cowboy Bebop' cast into the mess...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I don't even want to consider "Cowboy Bebop" -- you realize most of the off-screen time in that show is spent being bored in space?

-- Bob
---------
Re: Stampedian Lunatic Rhapsody
I think the idea of Doug in Trigun would be a blast (pun intended). I think that Vash would have some sort of metagift of his own, considering some of the things he did, such as dodging point-blank shots. The thing that sealed it was how he somehow managed to "mystically" prevent a plant from blowing up. I think it was in May city. Having Vash show up on mage sight would probably make sense.
Doug's first question in the Trigun-verse
...would probably be something like "Why is there a gigantic lightbulb in the middle of the city?"
Re: Doug's first question in the Trigun-verse
It certainly was mine when I saw that episode. Hell, when I saw the closing credits...

-- Bob
---------
>I think the idea of Doug in Trigun would be a blast (pun intended). I think that Vash would have some sort of metagift of his own, considering some of the things he did, such as dodging point-blank shots. The thing that sealed it was how he somehow managed to "mystically" prevent a plant from blowing up. I think it was in May city. Having Vash show up on mage sight would probably make sense.
I'm going to try to avoid spoilers here, but...
There's a -reason- they call Vash the Human-OID- Typhoon (even if nobody realizes just how appropriate it is).
There's a reason he was able to destroy an ENTIRE CITY without killing a single human being.
A small part of this is that his left arm is a cybernetic prosthesis... and his right arm is an Act of God.
He'd show up on magesight all right... probably blind Doug...
--Sam Ashley
"Oo--evil thought!"
Note to self: Buy more Trigun at the mall tonight.

-- Bob
---------
I may have magesight pegged wrong, but I don't think Vash would show up. He's not a magical being, just one of advanced bioengineering.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Trigun
I think you're right, Vash and Knives aren't magical, they're the same as the people inside the light-bulbs. Although it's never specified whether -they- were bioengineered or just found somewhere and utilised by the humans without any real understanding of them.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Trigun
You know, this is starting to get into spoiler territory for stuff I haven't seen yet. I'll just mosey on out and let y'all continue with yer chat...

-- Bob
---------
Then you better get those episodes purchased pronto. Hint: Get episodes with Wolfwood in them. Doug would have a very fun time with that guy.
When the budget allows. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

-- Bob
---------
Spoiling the heck out of it
Here's some warnig space, for people who care about uch things, before I talk about 'the people in the lightbulbs'
Between the way the brothers just appeared in a reactor chamber, Knives' commments about them and plants (with the handy misdirection of a tree beside them, true), their apparent aglessness after about physical 20, and Vash callingthe woman in one of the plant bulbs 'little sister', I think it's reasonably safe to say that they are indeed the same sort of being, perhaps with a bit of humanity crossed in, since the bulb girl was pretty fey looking. With the plant people being refered to as 'beings from ouside of time', by Drunkard's Walk cosmology tjhey could well be 'minor' Powers who get caught in 2what amounts to a big net/harness and used for a power source. My own immediate response to the presence of a captive being inside was that there must be ome way to rig an alternate power source and free them... this seems like the kind of idea that Doug would get behind and shove, and whatever disagreements he and Vash might or might not have on the subject of applied violence, it fells like the kind of thing he'd also agree with.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
More comments, with rather less in the way of spoilers
My suggestion for an insertion point for Dough would be just in time to keep Wolfwood from kicking the bucket after his little duel, and for the immediate story bits follow the insurance girls and him while Vsh is pulling his 'I must leave so as not to endanger you' thing. Wolfwood strikes me as even more of a kindred spirit than Vash, actually, since Wolfy is almost as silly, but not opposed to doing unto others before they do unto him when it gets down to the wire. Of course, doing this would require coing up with some original plot to occupy them between then and when they catch up with Vash again, whjich IIRC isn't until the very end, wherupon things could turn to the dangling questions from the end of the series.
Also, I know it's a fairly established point that Doug isn't going to be picking up taveling companions, but what about finding some way to either get some better terraforming rescources to Gunsmoke, or finding a way to evacutate it, since the impression that I get overall is that life there is only possible because of the plants, and they are slowly breaking down and failing one by one, with overall technology in a backslide as the rigours of fronteir life on an arid world consume too much collective manpower to even maintain what they have, leading to the current whacked tech curve.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
It's all about the philosophy, my friends. And the teacup
Humanity's fairing on the planet Gunsmoke is something that's up to a great deal of interpritation. The world itself seems to inspire despair and bewilderment towards the foolish people that dare hope to survive, and god willing, live in such a horrid place. If you recall, Vash mulls over these points in a few dream sequences with Rem.
Of course, there's this notion that it will all be ok, so long as we stick to it and look to our fellow man for support. Anything can happen; look at the episode where the family defends their lush grove from those who would wish to buy it and abuse it.
It's also my understanding that the Plants do more than supply power - they seem to convert the habitat into something a tad less harsh than the wasteland it appears to be (See the fifth episode, with the town with the damaged plant - about half the town is derelect and full of sand).
If you wanted to do something after the known Trigun continuity, I'd suggest looking to the Manga, because things get truly bizarre there. I'll leave each of you to your own devices in finding out how, because I'd rather not cite the differences in the name of spoilage.
However, I think this would be something fantastic if this alleged step took place parellel to the series. I imagine there'd be a good number of people that would confuse Doug for the humanoid Typhoon, were he to display his gifts in full.
Oh yeah, I would heartily recommend that each and every one of you pick up either The First Donuts, or the Western compilation soundtrack, Spicy Stewed Donuts. Or both. Or just download the whole damn thing. In particular, Fool's Paradise, Knives, Permanent Vacation, Blue Funk (in that order, it's like a three-track song), Carrot and Stick, and...some other ones that I can't remember.
Re: It's all about the philosophy, my friends. And the teacu
Okay, mind you all, I'm not reading all this spoiler info.
Yet.
You see, I found a couple of dealers on Half.com who are selling the entire series on three DVDs for less than $40.
I bought one, it arrived last week, and Peg and I started watching (along with Offsides) on Saturday. So I don't want to get spoiled since I now have the entire series at my fingertips. The three of us did discuss how Doug and Vash might interact, but since we don't know the "secrets" of the show yet, it's all conjecture. Josh thinks Doug and Vash are the same polarity of weird and would repel each other physically, like two magnets. (Yes, Josh, I know that's not what you said, but that's how I parsed it.)
Oh, and about the disk set we got. Very high production values on both disks and slipcase, very professional. It looks like an authorized product. But... there is no obvious copyright or trademark information except for an "fx'" logo that we've never seen before, the English track is the Pioneer dub, and there are no "extras". After some discussion, we came to the conclusion that the set is some kind of grey market product or an incredibly high-quality bootleg.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
(Yes, Josh, I know that's not what you said, but that's how I parsed it.)
Close enough - I don't have a problem with it Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Cool.

-- Bob
---------
Okay, we finished the series last night. Yes, lots of questions unanswered -- like, did Wolfwood and Milly sleep together? We think so, but it's just obscured enough to be uncertain...
Anyway...
First off, understand that I hadn't read the spoiler stuff folks have posted here until this morning. That being said, I had a lot of similar ideas. Having Doug's intersection with the cast be at the point where Wolfwood is about to die, I like that. (I agree, Doug and Wolfwood are kindred souls.) Of course, he'd have to arrive somewhere well off-stage...
I'm going to be thinking about this some more; I don't want to simply spout random ideas here. But consider this one to have live potential for a Step.

-- Bob
---------