Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nano-Stagger: The Bat and The Loon
Nano-Stagger: The Bat and The Loon
One of the biggest things I was going to miss, I reflected as I swam up through the murky waters of unconsciousness, was Bell's cooking. She'd said
that the breakfast she had prepared for me would 'help with the recovery' after I Gated, and it appeared she was right. I was still drained, but I
didn't feel like Loon Soup, more like a thick chunky stew. I took a deep breath to brace myself, and opened my eyes.

A looming sky was overhead, dark clouds reflecting the sullen light of a city. I did another physical check, and figuring I might as well, sat up. It
didn't hurt nearly as much as I expected.Looking around, I appeared to be on a common rooftop. Air exchangers poked their blunt snouts into the night air,
and a low retaining wall masked the city from me. I rolled over and began to lever myself to my feet, when a menacing roll of a voice froze me in a rather
awkward posture.

"Care to explain what you're doing in my city, stranger?"

I held my position for a moment while my mind raced. The unfamiliar voice was confident, aggressive, and firm. Obviously someone on his own turf, and secure in
his power.

"At the moment, standing up. Then I was planning on checking out my bike. From there, I'm not sure." I replied, inwardly pleased with the
stability I managed to put in my own voice. Bell's cooking helped a lot, but I was still as weak as the proverbial kitten. I resumed my movement, standing
slowly and keeping my hands in plain sight, and looked around me with more focus. As I scanned past a pool of darkness at the corner of a roof entrance, my
peripheral vision caught movement, and I looked straight at it, to see a cowled figure in light body armor step out of the concealing shadow.

"So you're saying that you appeared out of nowhere in a flash of light, in the middle of _my_ city, and you're 'not sure' why you're
here?" The menacing figure in black ground out. My mind had spun back up to full speed surprisingly fast, and I considered his language and body language
for the split second I had before my next move. While aggressive, and intimidating, my rooftop stranger had made no actual threats, unless I counted him
keeping his upper body concealed by his cape - which I thought was a very sound tactical idea. That fairly well dictated my next step.

"I'm afraid that's exactly correct, sir. If you'll permit, I'll right my bike, and get out my ID. It should help explain things. To start
with.. I'm not from around here." I finished my statement facing the man, who I had dubbed 'Mr. Spookypants', due to his predilection for
theatrics. He was starting to remind me of Chris, in fact, and I kept that in mind, given my initial meeting with that Guardian type..

Mr. Spooky nodded, one short chop of his square chin under the half-mask, and I followed through, slowly righting my bike and giving it a once-over, shutting
off the key and verifying that all the bits that were supposed to be on, were on. I turned to face Spooky again, and slowly went for my ID pocket, with the
police-approved two fingers. I opened the ID on my palm, and let it run through it's spiel. Mr. Spooky seemed interested, and I closed my ID with a snap
(that failed to startle him), and opened my face shield.

"My name is Douglas Q. Sangnoir, Sir, and I am not from this world, or even this dimension. Given that you're a 'good guy' here, I'm
pleased to meet you." And I extended my hand on the last beat. Mr. Spooky considered it for a moment, then extended his and shook my hand. His grip
matched the rest of his persona - firm and strong, without the knuckle-crusher that some men needed to prove themselves with. He release my hand and took a
step back.

"Welcome to my City, Mr. Sangnoir. For now, I'll take your word that you are who you say you are, so welcome to Gotham. I'm Batman."
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Oh my... talk about a culture clash. Doug is probably going to set off Batman's ingrained reactions to Plastic Man and other heroic goofballs.

Then again, Doug's also going to be a lot less fussy about dealing with someone like the Joker... although I can see Doug and Riddler having an evening of
laughs over some beers.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Batman shakes hands?

Of course. Then he dusts his glove for prints.

--Sam

"Water. People swim... in water!"

Quote: Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:

Of course. Then he dusts his glove for prints.

--Sam

"Water. People swim... in water!"

and skin samples, residual DNA and body temperature. depends on what he packed into the batglove that day [Image: happy.gif]

Even in the "darker and edgier" stories, Batman can be casual, even mildly humorous -- depending on who's writing. I base that judgment on the arc which introduced the character Azrael: there's a scene with Batman and Alfred stranded in a Swiss chalet.

Quote:Alfred: ...I've taken the liberty of preparing a spinach fajita.
Batman: A spinach fajita? In Switzerland? I would have expected chocolate.
Alfred: A chocolate fajita would be barbarian.
[A few panels later]
Batman: Good fajita. Glad you passed on the chocolate.
Alfred: (Eyeing his own fajita with disfavor) It may have been a mistake. Perhaps the chocolate could work.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Batman has pulled off some one liners that shows that he is not all broody and paranoid. I think the one where he confronted J'onn J'onzz about his ID
of Rei Hino was a barrel of laughs. It meant Batman watched Sailor Moon.

The main problem is when writers are allowed to turn him into the Bat God.

Hopefully this is the Batman from the Dini animated verse. Batman to Superman: Don't you have a tall building that you need to leap?

What goes one in the so called main stream of comic books defies all logic. The Joker going on a machine gun rampage through Gotham City Police Department and
the police just lock him in a cell?
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

They call it Joker Immunity.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yech! I see Spotlight Stealing Squad will soon be renamed the Uchiha Syndrome.

Oh well. A sane Batman would watch Doug and when he finds out that Doug is a member of a UN sactioned force, he'll probably try and get as many details out
about how Warrior's charter is set up and redo Justice League International properly.

In the Batman Animated Series, that Batman would love to have an effective police force in Gotham.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

Quote: In the Batman Animated Series, that Batman would love to have an effective police force in Gotham.

They do have an effective police force in Gotham... its called Batman. The problem is in the penitentiary system is near useless and has no Batman. The
police chief would also love to be part of the effective police force. His daughter effectively joins the effective police force.

The other problem is that if the Joker does get killed off... what is to stop him from getting out of Hell and coming back with magic powers? Or coming back
as a malignant spirit?

*Gets visions of Batman hiring the Ghost Busters and forcing them to train like mad so they can actually keep up with the Joker long enough to catch him. Then
having to call in Batman for help when the self-important bureaucrat turns off the containment grid in the beginning of the second movie*

Also I thought Batman's (1990s animated series) impression of Killer Croc and his 'almost got him story' was funny myself.

Quote:*Gets visions of Batman hiring the Ghost Busters and forcing them to train like mad so they can actually keep up with the Joker long enough to catch him. Then having to call in Batman for help when the self-important bureaucrat turns off the containment grid in the beginning of the second movie*[quote]

WayneCorp, would have the system vetted and have all of the propper forms filed, then have a lawyer on hand to sue the bureaucrat in to the next season of the series.