Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An idea for the Sakura Taisen Step
An idea for the Sakura Taisen Step
During the interlude between scenes of a performance, Ogami, Doug and the Kazegumi  would sing what I would call "show stoppers". Songs that would bring the house down...no matter if you don't understand the language. Could be from opera to pop. Though Doug would have to calibrate it for 20's sensibilities. I don't think "You Ain't Nothin But a Hound Dog" would go well in 20's Tokyo. Though "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables might be a hit.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Huh. Might be a nice bit to use at that. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

'course, Sumire's gonna get a head full of steam (snrk) when they start taking attention away from the main performance.

Which means that, instead of "Light Music at Intermission", the Flower Troupe performs "An Evening of Light Music" as its own show.

They might appreciate being able to relax (relatively) and just sing, instead of singing and dancing and acting all at once.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Along similar lines, I was thinking of writing a scene where Doug essentially creates a steam-powered MIDI system, and cranks out the techno version of "Geki!" you can find on the OST disks, complete with voice sampling at doublespeed. The performance would essentially run itself, looking like the Moog synthesizer in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and probably cloaking the "instrument" in a cloud of steam by the time it was done.
-- Bob
---------

HoagieOfDoom Wrote:'course, Sumire's gonna get a head full of steam (snrk) when they start taking attention away from the main performance.
Heh....here is a challenge for her then....let's see her try and do this show stopper....

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Along similar lines, I was thinking of writing a scene where Doug essentially creates a steam-powered MIDI system, and cranks out the techno version of "Geki!" you can find on the OST disks, complete with voice sampling at doublespeed. The performance would essentially run itself, looking like the Moog synthesizer in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and probably cloaking the "instrument" in a cloud of steam by the time it was done.
Does it then blow up in the end?  Smile
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Along similar lines, I was thinking of writing a scene where Doug essentially creates a steam-powered MIDI system, and cranks out the techno version of "Geki!" you can find on the OST disks, complete with voice sampling at doublespeed. The performance would essentially run itself, looking like the Moog synthesizer in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and probably cloaking the "instrument" in a cloud of steam by the time it was done.
Nah, it just shatters everything made of glass within five blocks right after the intro sequence.  Wink

ordnance11 Wrote:
Did Kohran help build it?
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Did Kohran help build it?
Hell, no!

Oh, and the proper name for the particular track I had in mind is "Euro Gekitei".
-- Bob
---------

I would think it would only blow up if Yosemite Sam or Daffy Duck played "Those Endearing Young Charms" on it. Wink
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:Though Doug would have to calibrate it for 20's sensibilities.
There goes the ending theme from the show named Light Music (or, in Japanese, "keion").

I'm sure Doug would love the song if he heard it.
Quote:I would think it would only blow up if Yosemite Sam or Daffy Duck played "Those Endearing Young Charms" on it. Wink
Or Wile. E. Coyote...
--
Rob Kelk

ordnance11 Wrote:
HoagieOfDoom Wrote:'course, Sumire's gonna get a head full of steam (snrk) when they start taking attention away from the main performance.
Heh....here is a challenge for her then....let's see her try and do this show stopper....
And then Doug and Ogami slam in halfway through with the Version of Nessun Dorma, 1920s sensibilities be damned.

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:I would think it would only blow up if Yosemite Sam or Daffy Duck played "Those Endearing Young Charms" on it. Wink
Or Wile. E. Coyote...
A rock would blow up if any of the above played "Those Endearing Young Charms" on it.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:And then Doug and Ogami slam in halfway through with the Manowar Version of Nessun Dorma, 1920s sensibilities be damned.
Not that there's a lot of "slam" to be done there... save for the electric guitars and drums at the very end, it's an almost textbook classical performance.

You know, it occurs to me that no matter what else happens in this Step, Doug is going to end up changing the face of Japanese pop/theatre music. I mean, really -- imagine the reactions of the entire staff of the theatre when they learn that Doug has a broad sampling of the next 120 years' worth of pop and other genres. (120 years minimum. Might be more, depending on exactly when some of the Steplets and Untold Stories I have in mind actually take place. One of those is Shadowrun, though, which is circa 2050... hence 120 years.) You know they're going to demand a copy of his archive -- and just imagine the impact it'll have, first on their shows, and by osmosis into Japanese and then foreign culture. Talk about Doug's unexpected side effects -- as a result of his visit, the Japanese will invent Rock and Roll -- before the 1940s. And maybe Heavy Metal by 1950...
-- Bob
---------

And, by the late-1960s, they've worked their way up to gansta rap...?
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

Hell, no!
Oh, and the proper name for the particular track I had in mind is "Euro Gekitei".
 You do know you're going to be subjected to that "Hurt Puppy" look if you keep refusing  her help build your devices...the rest of the Hanagumi will thank you for it though.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You know, it occurs to me that no matter what else happens in this Step, Doug is going to end up changing the face of Japanese pop/theatre music. I mean, really -- imagine the reactions of the entire staff of the theatre when they learn that Doug has a broad sampling of the next 120 years' worth of pop and other genres. (120 years minimum. Might be more, depending on exactly when some of the Steplets and Untold Stories I have in mind actually take place. One of those is Shadowrun, though, which is circa 2050... hence 120 years.)...
According to 4th Ed, it's circa 2070. Hum... Too bad Doug doesn't seem to be into RGPs.

All my Shadowrun gaming has been with 2nd and 3rd eds, which were set in 2050 plus or minus a few years.
-- Bob
---------

4th edition's 2070s made some "Zeerust" edits to the fluff, such as replacing the "hardpoint access through cyberdecks" Matrix with a modern "Wireless Internet Smart-Everything Cloud-Computing" one.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Hell, no!

Or http:////www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1wxm9 for those whose music playing program grabs CDDB info when importing stuff.
Still when I think of a modern song to play on the Hangumi stage "Like A Prayer" always comes to mind, they must have an awesome pipe organ hiding somewhere. As for electric guitar accompaniment, they have the technology the end result just might look like http://www.imdb.com/media/rm566992384/tt0096486.

--Rod.H

Actually, that's not a bad idea either, Rod... "Like A Prayer", I mean. Yahoo Serious, though, is right out.
-- Bob
---------
Here's a song for Sumire to sing...
Don't Cry For Me Argentina....
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

'Scuze me, I remember something on the lines of "Please, turn off all steam-cellular phones while enjoying the show." be said during the "first" Theater/show arc.

I _still_ try to imagine what a steam powered pocket sized Cell-phone common (and cheap) enough to take to a theater would look like.

You're not the only one to recall that line, Manytales. I can verify that it is, at least, present in the manga.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.