Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps Brainstorming 2 - Stepping Out

"Are your memories more important than your job?"

"Yes!"

"Are your memories more important than your colleagues' lives?"

She didn't answer.

Before Rena could continue, I stood up. "We can't go on with you acting this way, Maia. Shizuka was shot because you ignored your part of the operation. It's only because I was right there that I was able to heal her before she bled to death; she might not be that lucky next time."

"But ..."

"No buts! You want your memories back that badly? Fine. You're getting them back. Right now." As I reached for my helmet, I added, "But once you've got them, there's no getting rid of them again."

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Heh. Doug's probably using the same song(s) he'll be using on the Mooncats in the Sailor Moon Step...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

robkelk Wrote:"Are your memories more important than your job?"

"Yes!"

"Are your memories more important than your colleagues' lives?"

She didn't answer.

Before Rena could continue, I stood up. "We can't go on with you acting this way, Maia. Shizuka was shot because you ignored your part of the operation. It's only because I was right there that I was able to heal her before she bled to death; she might not be that lucky next time."

"But ..."

"No buts! You want your memories back that badly? Fine. You're getting them back. Right now." As I reached for my helmet, I added, "But once you've got them, there's no getting rid of them again."
I just saw a teaser for that show at my FLAS and thought it looked interesting. How good is it? Worth watching?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I think so... (If the fanservice didn't tip you off, it's not a kids' show.)

It's also on sale at Right Stuf at the moment.
--
Rob Kelk

Peg and I bought and watched the whole series a few years back and enjoyed it considerably. Lots of easter eggs, from episode titles to blink-and-you'll-miss-'em background details, an excellent mystery plot, some good characters working through it, and a couple real mind-screws as they get closer and closer to the solution. And a nice little epilogue at the end.
-- Bob
---------

I stuck out my hand to fellow in the tuxedo. "Sangnoir. Doug Sangnoir."

With a wry little half-smile, he took it and we shook. "Bond. James Bond."

I inclined my head toward the gunmen coming up the mountainside at us. "Shall we?"

The little half-smile turned into a full grin. "Yes. Let's."
-- Bob
---------

Oooh!  Talk about total wipeout there!  That would be too easy for the likes of Looney OR 007!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
A Taste of Tankery
This had to be the weirdest situation I had ever been in…and coming from yours truly, that was saying much.
I had Gated my way onto an aircraft carrier shaped somewhat like an Imperial Japanese Navy Shokaku-class vessel from World War Two…though said vessel was on the verge of at least several kilometres long!
Even stranger, the flight deck of this ship was actually laid out as if it had been cut straight out of any suburban district in Japan from the late Twentieth Century.
But the weirdest part of this whole situation was what was considered the most popular martial art for girls in this universe.
Sensha-do.  Literally, this means "Way of Fighting Vehicles"…or as it was more popularly translated into English in this dimension, Tankery!
Imagine your normal sample cross-section of high school girls attending an all-girls private school:
There's Miho, the quiet kid who just wanted to enjoy a normal life.
There's Saori, the boy-chaser.
There's Hana, the demure classically-raised girl who was very good at flower arrangement.
There's Yukari, the local tomboy.
And there's Mako, the very smart girl with narcolepsy and hypotension issues.
All five girls act as — I swear to every deity I know, this is true! — the crew on a Panzer IV tank straight out of World War Two of all things!
Even more so, they actually go out with their tank to duel their classmates and other schools in THEIR tanks!
I just had to shake my head at that.
THIS was going to be one of those stops!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

He looked at me carefully. "Would you repeat that, please?"

"I surrender. To you, not to anyone else."

"You're obviously American. Our nations are at war. I'm currently unarmed. Why are you surrendering to me?"

I pushed the button on my keyfob, and I'm Alive started playing (which started healing the bullet wound in his shoulder.) "Because, Commander Kadomatsu, the AI that lives in my laptop computer tells me we have far more in common with you than either of us have with anyone else in this time, on either side of the Great Pacific War."

His eyes went wide, but there was also a look of relief on his face.

--
Rob Kelk

*thumbs up*  Nice choice, Rob!  Well done.

"Really, Your Majesty, I don't get it," I said to the monarch standing next to me on the beach. "You're dynamite in a fight, you have an artifact-level magical weapon in that trident, you have easy access to regions of this world that most of your peers have to actively work at achieving - and even when they do, you still have more intimate knowledge of it, you have a truly unique subset of telepathy, and you're the ruler of a nation-state that controls roughly three-quarters of the planet." I looked down the beach, where a beautiful redheaded woman in green is playing fetch with a Golden Retriever. "And as an added gravy, your lady is pretty terrific. If you don't mind me saying."
"So what is it that makes people give you such a hard time? Is it the orange sweater?"
The monarch smiled and clapped me on the shoulder. "It's scale mail, Doug. And call me Arthur."
---
Seriously, if anyone isn't reading the new Aquaman, you're missing some Geoff Johns goodness.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

LOL!

It is funny. The sad part is that he got the bad rap from the Superfriends show. I don't know why, since he did quite a bit. However, at that time, Aquaman was an oucast from Atlantis(due to his hair color) and single in the comic books.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

A part of the problem was that his one unique power was situational at best, and was further limited by the restrictions on violence the show was under. If a given episode's adventure took place in outer space, or even just inland, his ability to command marine life was basically useless. And even when the episode took place at sea or underwater, he wasn't allowed to order anything more violent than a headbutt (which, admittedly, should usually have been rather more effective than it actually was, given that it was often a whale doing the headbutting). When more violent creatures like sharks showed up, his aquatic telepathy always failed to work on them, for varying reasons. This helped build an impression of his powers being useless.

Also, all his methods of transportation were sea-based, so he was usually sitting in the backseat of Wonder Woman's invisible jet, while everyone else could fly under their own power, or owned a plane. That didn't really help matters.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Jorlem Wrote:Also, all his methods of transportation were sea-based, so he was usually sitting in the backseat of Wonder Woman's invisible jet, while everyone else could fly under their own power, or owned a plane. That didn't really help matters.
Which is a bit ridiculous. As Johns has pointed out in the new series, if Aquaman has enough strength to propel himself through the water at high speeds, he can certain do an old-fashioned superjump.

Ebony the Black Dragon

Ebony Wrote:
Jorlem Wrote:Also, all his methods of transportation were sea-based, so he was usually sitting in the backseat of Wonder Woman's invisible jet, while everyone else could fly under their own power, or owned a plane. That didn't really help matters.
Which is a bit ridiculous. As Johns has pointed out in the new series, if Aquaman has enough strength to propel himself through the water at high speeds, he can certain do an old-fashioned superjump.

I'll just leave this here...
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Jorlem Wrote:
Ebony Wrote:
Quote:Jorlem wrote:

Also, all his methods of transportation were sea-based, so he was usually sitting in the backseat of Wonder Woman's invisible jet, while everyone else could fly under their own power, or owned a plane. That didn't really help matters.

I'll just leave this here...
Quite. One of the things that Chris Dee has included in her Catwoman fanfiction is that Arthur Curry, as King of Atlantis, is actually richer than Bruce Wayne. (It's just all tied up in things like managing his kingdom, so he can't invest in all the toys that Bruce can.) Aquaman's powers include both an Army and a Tax Base. He will fuck your shit up.
Ebony the Black Dragon

It's also been suggested by some writers -- canon writers, if my source is to be believed -- that Aquaman's power to control the creatures of the sea gives him at least some telepathic influence over everything with sea creatures anywhere in its ancestry.  Which includes all multicellular life on Earth, and really, the single-cell types as well.  He doesn't have to punch you out; he can stun or maybe kill you with the power of his mind (although physically hitting is easier ... and possibly more satisfying).  

Oh, and remember where Godzilla and Cthulhu live?
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

DHBirr Wrote:Oh, and remember where Godzilla and Cthulhu live?
Roughly, but I've never been invited over...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:

Well, that's because it's a gated community to keep the riff-raff out. 
-- Bob
---------

robkelk Wrote:

You have missed some of the wildest parties ever.  
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

"Hello, what's this?"

Madoka was startled out of her conversation when Sangnior-Sensei reached down and grabbed Kyuubey off of her head.

"No pets allowed in the building. Kaname, Miki, you're both staying after class."

I never felt such rage before.
This place that I've come to is literally Hell on Earth.
Of course, on the surface, it doesn't look too bad.  A military dictatorship that started up when Japan — our of pure luck — won the Second World War.  Said dictatorship making the people work had to make their society the technological kingpins…and actually doing a damned good job of it.
But then there comes this
I was in Kobe being an English teacher yet again…and the announcement came over DHK-1 concerning what was about to fall on the heads of forty-two innocent Grade 9 students come early tomorrow morning.
Shiroiwa Junior High School.  Class 3-B.
I scowled at the television screen with its "talking head" reporter.
The Program was about to get interrupted…Loon style.

I came to sooner than usual this time, my bike was just settling to the ground as I regained consciousness.

Looking around, I seemed to be in the courtyard of a well kept castle, tall walls on three sides and the main keep on the fourth. Judging by the way the light was illuminating the side of the towers, it was either shortly after dawn or almost sunset.

A beep from the console let me know that the GPS system had aquired a signal and was determining my location. Probably somewhere in Euro-, wait, Manhatten? And according to the altimeter, I'm pretty high up too.

Spotting a set of stairs leading to the top of the wall near the main structure, I decided to get a better look around. Once I reached the top I could see that I was indeed in Manhatten, with the rapidly sun setting behind the many towers of New York. Appearantly, some rich eccentric had either built or transplanted a castle on top of a skyscraper. Several large and lifelike statues were perched at various points around the walls and towers, I was currently standing between a pair of them.

A sound drew my attention, turning I saw a woman coming through a doorway not too far away. She was fairly attractive, dark skin, long dark hair, wearing a red jacket overa black shirt and jeans.
She was also quite surprised to see me.

"Who are you and how did you get up here." she demanded, her hand darting into her jacket, probably resting on the butt of a pistol, but at least she didn't draw yet. Maybe she's part of the tower's security force? It would explain the look of mingled surprise and concern on her face.

Raising my hands, I was about to answer when there was a sudden cracking sound from either side of me, followed by roars as the stone statues shattered to reveal living flesh. For a moment I wondered if my improbability field had gone into overdrive, but then I registered the same thing happening elsewhere around the castle and the look of resignation on the guardwoman's face. She wasn't surprised by this.

With the the three near me being rapidly reinforced as more of the creatures flew over to my position, there was only one thing that I could think to say.

"I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!"

Gargoyles, eh?
Yeah . . .