Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Big FFML-verses
The Big FFML-verses
Just reminiscing about the old FFML/rec.arts.anime.creative days of the 90s, and the big anime/fanfic of those days.

From a purely personal POV, I believe that the big fanfic of those halcyon days were Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Bubblegum Crisis, and Tenchi Muyo.  I'm actually basing this as much on those big mega-crossovers by Bailesu and Chris Davies, as much as anything.  

Now Our Hero Doug has gone to BGC-verse, and is going to Sailor Moon-verse at some point, but from a quick search through the yuku archive I can't seem to find much or anything at all about a Ranma or a Tenchi Muyo step.

What exactly would be the driving conflict for Ranma, though?  It's not as if there's a Big Bad to menace people, though Happosai is pretty much the default antagonist.  Him or Cologne.  Or an OC.

For Tenchi, it pretty much depends on which continuity you use.  And if you use the original OVA, you have to contend with the fact that the three goddesses who created the universe are hanging around a lakeside house enjoying quiet days, punctuated by the Earth blowing up every once in a while.

Then there's the later, early 2000s anime fanfic surge, which saw a ton of Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing . . . hmm . . . what else . . . this was before Naruto/Bleach . . . but after Evangelion . . . . No, I think that's it.

Yeah, actually, looking over the list of official crossovers, Doug's never gone into a shounen-manga world, has he?  I wonder how he'd deal in that situation.

As for the slightly older anime fanfic, that too merits some thought.  I am of course talking about the Dirty Pair, Akira, Megazone-23, and the various Robotechs.  And possibly Urusei Yatsura.  I got this list from vague memories of the self-insert anime from around the late 80s, early 90s, like Undocument Features (there was another UF-type fic which also involved a bunch of college kids getting their hands on motorcycles from anime and turning bits of their college into spaceships thanks to the Dirty Pair, but the title escapes me).

Somebody here already did a Dirty Pair steplet.  I would like to see what Our Hero Doug would make of Akira (probably try to take down both Tetsuo and the government), Megazone-23 (same), and the various Robotechs (no idea, maybe organize a motorcycle race?).  In Urusei Yatsura, it would be pretty interesting to see Doug as being the voice of sanity and reasonable discourse, while surrounded by super-violent, melodramatic, hormonal teenagers who regularly make reality break down and cry.

Ranma is and always was going to be completely left out of the Walk, mainly because when I started writing the Walk it was the de riguer setting for over-the-top SIs. There was nothing, good or bad, which hadn't been done already by an SI in Ranma by 2000. The closest I ever came to it was a scene idea for the Sailor Moon Step where Doug uses A-ha's "Take On Me" to get a power inspired by the video for that song, and drags Usagi into and through a Ranma manga as a means of teleporting somewhere. There was also a long-ago idea for a proto-NanoStep in which Doug's latest gatesong is actually a double gate, and his motorcycle (with him unconscious aboard it) appears out of one gate, speeds through a typical Ranma scene and sends the participants flying in all directions (and coincidentally pairing everyone up) before vanishing through a second gate.

Tenchi never got on my radar at all as a Step location. I'm not sure why... it's an old favorite. Maybe because it too had more than its share of SIs...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Strange, I never saw any Tenchi SIs until 'SWTG'. Maybe I was lucky in that?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Maybe I'm misremembering... Hm. I can only bring a fragmentary "Twisted Path" segment to mind now that I think of it. But I'm sure I've read others.
-- Bob
---------

Tenchi self-inserts are pretty rare. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple, but Tenchi was more often used for crossovers.

Yeah. There were a couple where Nodoka was Noboyuki's sister or something, as I recall.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Or Achika's. Yeah, I remember some of those.
-- Bob
---------

There would probably also be some difficulty making Tenchi mesh with the divine metaphysics you are using, given that the Tenchi'verse gods are supposed to basically be supergods, (or Tenchi is, or something like that) if I understand correctly.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Not that much... Washuu -> Skuld, Tsunami -> Belldandy, Tokimi -> Urd.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yeah, pretty much. Oh, and Marller -> Mihoshi.
-- Bob
---------

I think the only Tenchi SI that I'm aware of, beyond that Twisted Path snippet, spurred a ton of justice fics due to what that SI character did to Sassami, but that's it as far as I can recall. Wel,l there was that Revenge Wars, megafic, but I don't think that counts.

Robotech, Street Fighter, El-Hazard, MOTU and Gatchaman are also very low on SI's

Right now the current in thing to do in SI's is meeting up with Revan on the planet Taris. That would be a disaster for those idiots on Dantooine, along with Bastilla Shan if Doug showed up.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor

robkelk Wrote:Not that much... Washuu -> Skuld, Tsunami -> Belldandy, Tokimi -> Urd.
IIRC, when Doug met the Norns, one of them told him flat out that different universes run on different rules, and that their local selves had no knowlege of the actions of their analogues. I also seem to recall that the entire purpose of the Tenchiverse plot was the three goddesses trying to prove that beings greater than themselves exist. It would be warped if the higher powers which the Tenchiverse divinities have been looking for all this timie turn out to be themselves. Smile
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Before I post here again . . .
I'm going to read for the first time both nanostep threads.

I hope I get out the other side alive and sane.

-Murmur

http://www.tmffa.com/old/x-laught.html

This is the only TM SI I can remember pre-SWTG, and it may actually have been one of those Carrot Patch spawned things in the beginning. I remember that it got me angry at the characters and then was abandoned, so I'm not bothering to reread it now despite being short.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows