Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quotes for Utena/DW7 Step
Quotes for Utena/DW7 Step
I rewatched Revolutionary Girl Utena once again a few months ago, and it's still kicking around my mind.  So I've collected a few quotes and songs that might be useful for writing the Utena step.
When I came across this webcomic in A Softer World, the words jumped out at me, as they reminded me of a certain someone:
Quote:"... like the stars you see through a telescope, just pretty echoes of the long dead."
Here's a group of three quotes that go together all have something in common:
Quote:There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio: What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for? And what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love. -- Don Juan DeMarco
Miscommunication sometimes leads to arguments, and arguments sometimes lead to fights. Anger is usually present in arguments and fights. Anger is an emotion, usually classified as a negative emotion. Negative emotions can cause severe problems in our environment and to the health of our body. Happiness, usually classified as a positive emotion, can bring good health to our body, and spread positive vibrations into our environment. Sometimes when we are ill, we are not on our best behavior. By ill, I mean any of the following: physically ill, emotionally ill, mentally ill, and/or spiritually ill. -- the Log Lady
A-Ko (as the Rose Prince): What do you mean, "the light of the world"?B-Ko (as the Witch): Don't you know what the light is?  It is... that which is eternal.  That which shines.  The power of miracles.  The power to revolutionize the world. -- Utena, Episode 34, The Rose Crest
Hint: How many members of the cast are on the Student Council?
As for music, I'm not sure how useful these will be, but these songs remind me of RGU/SKU:
Garbage - "Sex is not the Enemy" : Wikipedia * Lyrics * YouTube"A revolution // Is the solution"
James Taylor - "Never Die Young": Wikipedia * Lyrics * YouTube 
Pretty much all the lyrics could apply to Utena and Anthy; even the "the evening star" gets a mention.  The last two stanzas seem to apply more towards Symphony of the Sword, though.
This could be used either as a song (Pete Seeger - "Guantanamera") or as a quote, José Martí - "Versos Sencillos (Simple Verses) XXXIX".  I wrote a quick translation:
Quote:Cultivo una rosa blanca          I cultivate a white roseEn julio como enero,             In July and JanuaryPara el amigo sincero            For my sincere friendQue me da su mano franca.        Who gives me his open hand
Y para el cruel que me arranca   And for the cruel one who would tear outEl corazón con que vivo,         This heart that gives me lifeCardo ni ortiga cultivo;         I grow neither thistles nor nettlesCultivo la rosa blanca.          I cultivate a white rose
Well, I'll still be thinking about it Utena more, since the symbolism is pretty dense.  Heck, it took until today for me to realize that Miki and Kozue are an extended allegory to Genesis 3.
Now that I mention that, this is for Miki:Joni Mitchell; Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - "Woodstock" (either version, they're radically different).  "Billion year old carbon" will get along quite well all of the geologic eras of the swordfighting songs.
-- ∇×V

Hm. I'll have to look this over and think carefully on the ideas when I'm not inundated with other tasks, but there is definitely some good stuff here. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Wait, A-ko and B-ko appeared in RGU? I didn't know that. Are Agent D and Captain Napolipolita teachers or something too?
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Different A-ko (Girl A) and B-ko (Girl B).

Some fans of the show point at the movie and say the names of the minor characters Aiko, Keiko, and Yuuko should be spelled I-ko, K-ko, and U-ko. There were certainly enough unnamed girls in the control center to support this...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Given more analysis, that makes sense -- there are exactly six letter girls that you can easily see, but many more you don't see.  Exactly like the Pleiades.
And that more analysis is on my blog.  The basis thesis is that each character in Utena is represented by a constellation in the winter sky, and the their backstory is connected to the associated mythological figure.  These ideas have been kicking around my head for more than a year; I finally got around to writing it up and editing.  Warning: it's kind of long.
-- ∇×V

Well... 19 views in a month.  A few less than the 51000 that viewed my last blog entry.
It's really weird being a fan.  I somehow got it in my head that writing 20,000 words that no one is going to read was a good idea.  When it's something you love, it feels like it was worth it anyway.  There's the one story that gets in your head and defines who you are, and suddenly it feels OK to wear a Trek uniform in broad daylight.
Incidentally, the whole genesis of this was me taking up astronomy as a hobby so I could better understand Kaorin's character from Azumanga Daioh, so that I could write a fic.  I did take a basic astronomy class a while back -- the easiest thing ever after 3 terms of physics -- but I never really got into it until the last two years.  And once you learn something, you start seeing the world in a different way.  Still haven't written that fic, though.
Blog article omake!Kaitlyn Hutchins represents the constellation Monoceros, the Unicorn.  A modern constellation inserted into the dim space between the two Canibus*, it was given a mythological name but the constellation has no canonical history.  Just as she is a future character inserted into an existing story and given a background as if to belong with the rest.  Kaitlyn is a unicorn in the older Silicon Valley sense of the word, as in "hunting the unicorn" -- she is a young, attractive bisexual female willing to be in a polyamorous relationship with a male-female couple.
* I'm guessing ablative case
-- ∇×V

Quotes ... I ran across this one a while back, but just now realized it should be in the quotefile for the Utena step. (Assuming Bob hasn't added it already; it's from a reasonably famous work.)

“Be happy, be happy; you shall have your red rose. I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart's-blood.”
- Oscar Wilde, The Nightingale and the Rose
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I didn't have that one, and it went right into the dev file when I saw it. Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
RE: Quotes for Utena/DW7 Step
One more song for you:
Shadowplay by Edenbridge. I doubt it make a good power, but if nothing else, it would make a good dueling platform song.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I had an odd thought about this the other day: what about Nietzsche?  In particular, Thus Spoke Zarathustra has tons of quotes that are useful because they're written in a semi-religious style.  Here's a few:

“Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman–a rope over an abyss. A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way, a dangerous looking-back, a dangerous shuddering and stopping. What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end: what can be loved in man is that he is an overture and a going under. I love those who do not know how to live, for they are those who cross over.”

"I tell you: one must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star."

'Then will he who goes under bless himself for being one who goes over and beyond; and the sun of his knowledge will stand at high noon for him.
"Dead are all gods: now we want the overman to live" — on that great noon, let this be our last will.'

When power becomes gracious and descends into the visible — such descent I call beauty. And there is nobody from whom I want beauty as much as from you who are powerful: let your kindness be your final self-conquest. Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

O my brothers, I dedicate and direct you to a new nobility: you shall become procreators and cultivators and sowers of the future — verily, not to a nobility that you might buy like shopkeepers and with shopkeepers' gold: for whatever has its price has little value. Not whence you came shall henceforth constitute your honor, but whither you are going! Your will and your foot which has a will to go over and beyond yourselves — that shall constitute your new honor.

----

Friedrich Nietzsche is a fellow that, while I don't agree with his philosophy, I cannot dismiss it out of hand.  There's too much truth there.  I haven't read the book though.  I've heard it is dense.

But RGU, though.  I mean, we have a dead guy literally named Dios, an arena to show who has the greatest will to power, and thus become the overman.  I know it's supposed to be Demian but if this fic is supposed to have apotheosis, it's going to be a little more than overcoming illusion.

The obligatory Hermann Hesse quote, though:

The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. The God's name is Abraxas.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I have a few of those already in my dev files for DW7, but I hadn't thought of mining Nietzsche wholesale for quotes. Thanks for the inspiration!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....