Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[STORY] We don't need that hammer, Lucifer...
[STORY] We don't need that hammer, Lucifer...
18:37 GMT 30 June 2011
Near the Asteroid Belt

"So what's so hard about getting an asteroid to Earth?"

"Yeah! We can do this ourselves - we don't need to pay those Rockhound chiselers what they want to do the job!"

"Sergei's got his car chained to the tow cables, and ... it's on the way!"

There was a chorus of cheers from the enterprising Fen who had decided to put their very own space base in Earth orbit, to compete with The Island.

Then there was an explosion in Sergei's ship. His friends watched in horror as his lifeless body floated out of the new hole in the top of his car... which didn't slow down.

00:11 GMT 1 July 2011
Earth-Luna L5 Station Stellvia

"Yes, Mr. Secretary, I believe we can, but you'd better have a contingency plan just in case ... Oh, I see; we are the contingency plan... We'd best get to work, then. I'll be in touch, Mr. Secretary." Noah shut off the communications link with the United Nations Space Affairs Secretariat and turned to the senior staff of the Stellvia.

Yoriko looked up from her console. "The telemetry's coming in now. The asteroid's on a collision course with Aukland, and it's coming in at 0.03c."

Kohran looked shocked. "Point-oh-three-cee? How?"

"There's a converted car with a 'waved engine towing it," Noah answered. "The pilot's dead. According to his friends, he had a vacuum still in his back seat and something went wrong with it, and he didn't armour his outer hull properly."

"That poor man," whispered Sora.

"Yeah... But the car's still running, and still towing that hunk of rock. When will the idiots learn that Rockhounds uses those expensive safety measures for a reason... Anyway, the Warsies have most of their ships out on maneuvers right now, so we're all that's standing between the Earth and that asteroid. We have slightly over eight hours before it hits Aukland. How are we going to stop it?"

Yayoi cleared her throat. "I have an idea..."

05:24 GMT 1 July 2011
Between Earth and the runaway asteroid, inside Martian orbit

"I hope to Belldandy that this works." Noah and his staff were in three ships, trying to make visual contact with the asteroid they were trying to stop.

"It should work," replied Yayoi from in front of the pilot's console of the Epsilon Blade, the first of the ships taking part in the operation. "Both Sora and Kohran worked the math and came up with the same answer. If you can't trust your top engineers, who can you trust?"

"Enough chatter," snapped Noah from his place at the secondary control console. "There's a city full of people whose lives are in our hands right now. Focus."

"You started it..." began Yayoi, who quickly stopped talking when Noah glared at her.

Sora's voice came over the bridge speaker. "Virgil Samms calling Epsilon Blade - do you read me?" The Virgil Samms was, quite literally, the fastest ship in Fenspace. Built with the absolute minimum amount of crew space, an oversized engine, and a walkie-talkie, it could hit 0.2c in a straight line. What it couldn't do was keep its occupant alive for more than a quarter-hour... unless the occupant was an android.

"We read you, Sora," replied Noah. "Anything to report?"

"Yes, sir. I see it; it's exactly where we expected it to be."

"Thank Ghu for good telemetry. Yayoi...?"

But the 'Blade's pilot was already manipulating her controls. "Laying in a course paralleling Sora's, and transmitting instructions to the Vulcan's Hearth." The Vulcan's Hearth was a cargo hauler (owned by a company headquartered in New Zealand) usually found on the Mercury-Earth run. It had been rented by the United Nations for this operation, and Yoriko was on its bridge.

"Right." Noah thumbed a switch on his panel. "Kohran, how are you doing back there?"

"Ready to go!" came the reply over the intercom. "There's only one implosion round ready to use, Noah; are you sure you want to be the one who fires it?"

The only human on the ship thought for a moment, then sighed. "Are we absolutely sure that there's nobody left alive in that car?"

"We're positive," replied Yoriko over the communications link. "The owner's friends recovered his body two hours ago, and they all agree that he traveled alone."

"So there's no chance that there'll be any complications from whatever-it-is that keeps the miracle goop from hurting people. Fujisawa, transferring fire control to your console." Noah tapped a few spots on the touchscreen, and the railgun controls there went dark as they lit up on Yayoi's board.

"Receipt of firing control acknowledged."

Kohran's voice came over the intercom. "The round's loaded and ready, sir!"

"Good," answered Noah. "Head down to the engine room and get ready for phase two."

"On my way!"

06:33 GMT 1 July 2011

"Vulcan's Hearth to Epsilon Blade - we're here!"

"Epsilon Blade to Vulcan's Hearth - glad you could make it. Epsilon Blade to Vulcan's Hearth and Virgil Samms - hold your positions relative to us; the fireworks are about to start." Noah turned to Yayoi. "Are you ready?"

"Yes, sir." Yayoi's hand was already poised over the weapon controls.

"Let's show off our mastery of gravity tech, then. Take out that car's engine."

"Aye, sir. Firing one round."

Because its own engine was being re-tuned in flight, the Epsilon Blade shook as a munition shot from its railgun. Yayoi tracked the round: "Twenty seconds to impact... Fifteen seconds... Ten... Five, four, three, two, one... impact."

The implosion round hit Sergei's car, and every gravity meter in the area spiked. The round srunk in upon itself, smaller and smaller, until it was a pinpoint - and then it sucked itself out of the universe as it became a micro-black hole, taking the car's front end with it. It dissolved almost immediately, of course, but it had done its job; the asteroid was no longer under powered flight.

There were cheers throughout the flotilla. Noah thumbed the intercom to the engine room. "Kohran, your five-million-dollar prototype worked. Remind me to let you build more when we get back home."

"Yes, sir!"

"Ready for phase two?"

"Ready, sir."

The asteroid was no longer moving under power, but it was still a menace to navigation and might still hit Earth eventually. Phase two of the operation would remove those problems.

It took the Vulcan's Hearth ten minutes to maneuver in close enough to the asteroid to almost touch it, because of the ship's size.

It took the Virgil Samms the same amount of time to move in, because of its paltry maneuvering controls. Once both of those ships were in position, the Epsilon Blade took ninety seconds to move into its position - the third point of an equilateral triangle drawn around the asteroid.

"Epsilon Blade to Vulcan's Hearth - hold position relative to the other two ships and keep your drive active."

"Understood, Noah," replied Yoriko. "I'm just along for the ride, right?"

"You and me both, pretty lady. Epsilon Blade to Virgil Samms - are you ready, Sora?"

"As ready as I'll ever be..."

"Okay. Yayoi, are you ready?"

"The controls indicate we're ready, Noah."

Noah shook his head. "I can see that. Are you ready? I know you have some problems with using gravtech this way..."

"It's my pre-programmed fears against the lives of thousands of people, sir. I can handle it."

"All right; I trust you. Epsilon Blade to all ships - countdown from five to zero."

At that, any external observer would have seen all three ships' drives begin to glow silver with the massive power being put through them. Bubbles of that silver power formed around the ships, touching the asteroid at three points.

"Five, four, three, two, one, NOW!"

The bubbles around the two smaller ships started spinning in place, grinding against the asteroid. After a few seconds, it was obvious to anyone with sensitive instruments that the asteroid was both slowing and being moved onto a new course. After a half-minute, the asteroid popped out from between the ships, serenely floating off in a new orbit that would take it nowhere near Earth's.

"All engines stop," ordered Noah. The bubbles disappeared. "Damage reports, please; I need to know how much this bit of world-saving just cost..."

05:00 GMT 2 July 2011
Earth-Luna L5 Station Stellvia

The Vulcan's Hearth had finally brought the Virgil Samms back to its home port; the smaller ship's engine had burnt out when its purposefully-unbalanced drive field was shut down. It was moved to drydock beside the Epsilon Blade, which had managed to limp home only because it had two engines to begin with. (The Vulcan's Hearth, which hadn't unbalanced its drive, was still in excellent operating condition and had already gone back to its owners.)

The station's senior staff were in an unusual circumstance - being personally rewarded by the United Nations' Secretary of Space Affairs, on television.

"... and I'm sure that I speak for all the citizens of Aukland, who are watching this broadcast this fine evening, when I extend my deepest thanks to the crew of this fine space station who saved both Aukland and Earth from certain destruction."

"Please, it was nothing," replied Yoriko. "We were just doing what's right."

After a few more minutes of pleasantries, the ceremony was finally over, and the video feed shut off. "Right," said Noah once he was sure the New Zealanders we no longer listening, "we'll be sending you the bill for ship repairs."

"What? Your assistant just said you saved Earth because it was the right thing to do!"

"That's why she saved Earth. Ships don't grow on trees..."

"Except maybe at the Stone Temple," whispered Yoriko.

"That's just a rumour," Sora whispered back.

"So?"

"As I was saying," interrupted Noah, "ships don't grow on trees - we need to build them, or re-build them, to be ready for the next asteroid that somebody tosses at Earth."

"All right, all right, we'll pay your bill. Mercenary bastard..."

Noah glared at the secretary. "My parents were married long before I was born."

"But he's not disputing the 'mercenary' part..." whispered Yoriko with a grin.

Noah turned to look straight at her. "For that, you get night operations duty for the rest of the week."

"Awwwww..."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Re: [STORY] We don't need that hammer, Lucifer...
Not a bad story. The writing's good, but...
* "Munition that makes a microscopic black hole" smells an *awful* lot like "Blown Up For Great Justice" to *me* - even if it was implosion rather than explosion. It's also pretty blatantly a weapon. Yes, I know you aren't using it to kill people in this case, but it's still pretty clearly on the "destroy" side of that particular line.
* The area around Earth and the Moon are pretty popular places for Fen to hang out and/or live, for a variety of reasons. Between then and the Fen who are currently *on* earth, but capable of lifting in time, there's quite a force available for things like "saving the lives of millions of people".
EDIT: stripped out a concern. Turns out I was wrong on my background information on that one. Apologies.
yeah, if there's a rogue rock, I'm sure me and the Boys can be there with some harnesses right quick. Unless that boat's tumbling, no problem. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Actually, any of the various Rockhound outfits would be capable of diverting an asteroid.
btw, I liked the title reference, it was a decent book. [Image: smile.gif] __________________
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin.
Yes, there's no question that there's any number of folks who could have done the job, but how many would the UN think to get in touch with?  It's not like most Fen make their contact details available in the 'Danelaw, after all.

As for the implosion round... well, yes, it could be used as a weapon.  It's also in conformance with the Rules of the Wave that we discussed at length - I was very careful to make sure of that.

(Edit:  And it's pretty clear to me now that, no matter what I write, Sirrocco's going to find some fault with it. Since I have yet to see Sirrocco actually write anything here, I'm going to take the advice of an off-line friend who's done collaborative writing in the past and stop paying attention to Sirrocco's complaints...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, then I'll ask: what is the implosion round's primary purpose, if not destruction?
Wave Convoy's tractor/pressor "gun" was rightfully a cargo handling tool, lucked into because his flavor of wave does "anything but this" with power generators as well as weapons.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
(Edit: And it's pretty clear to me now that, no matter what I write, Sirrocco's going to find some fault with it. Since I have yet to see Sirrocco actually write anything here, I'm going to take the advice of an off-line friend who's done collabrative writing in the past and stop paying attention to Sirrocco's complaints...)
Actually, yes, I've been having similar thoughts -- Sirrocco's set him/herself up as some kind of story cop, and I don't rightly remember either seeing a vote on that kind of thing, or personally appointing such a person. In fact, far as I'm concerned, if anyone's going to be a story cop, it should be Fnord.
Now I haven't really made a fuss about it up until now, but Rob makes a very good point -- Sirrocco, what are you contributing to the world/story besides appointing yourself final arbiter on what's allowed and what's not?
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
First: I haven't appointed myself final arbiter on *anything*. Note the response that I gave here. I pointed out a few facts (that there were a lot of people around the Earth general area with the capacity to divert asteroids, that the implosion weapon was rather strongly on the "destroy" side, and that a munition designed to turn the immediate vicinity into a black hole was a weapon). I also expressed a concern (that the round he described sounded to me an awfil lot like "Blowing up for great justice" even if it was implosion.). This has been the sort of response I have been giving, except when people were writing things that were obviously contrary to previously established truth. I do this because I feel like it's important that someone speak for universe integrity. Every time I have been presented with an apparent majority opinion in opposition or a convincing argument, I have caved.
Second: In terms of simple writing, I haven't contributed all that much, nor have I ever claimed that I would. I've posted one vignette/songfic in response to Feinan's story about the memory-goop, and one (sorta) universally usable (though not yet used) character. I was fairly active in the early world-crafting process. I have started up a few threads that I think helped organize thoughts and people in meaningful ways - I don't know whether you'd count that or not. I have tossed out some ideas, a few of which have been helpful.
It does seem that there are particular problems between myself and Robkelk. Part of that stemmed from rather different initial ideas of what fenspace was like. Part of it stems from the fact that one of his beloved characters (and I say that without satire - she sounds like a character that *ought* to be beloved) is essentially designed to Make Things Go Boom via Mad Science, and we have a rule that says that handwavium (the major source of Mad Science) does not make things go boom. He wants to make the character meaningful and applicable and useful and nifty. I want to protect the rule, as I find it a pretty integral part of what makes the universe work. There is an obvious conflict here. I have other ideas for the sources of some of these problems, but I am certain he would disagree with me if I mentioned them, and thus I will not raise them at this time. I would note that he seems to take the entire situation far more personally than I do.
Regardless, I am the People's fascist, not my own. If the People in general want me to stop doing what I'm doing, I'll stop. For that matter, if Fnord wants to use his fiat, or, Bob, if you want to use yours, I'll stop. I do it because I am of the opinion that it *is* a contribution. In this, as in all things, I am open to being convinced by a sufficiently compelling argument.
EDIT: corrected myself on a few points of fact.
Quote:
Okay, then I'll ask: what is the implosion round's primary purpose, if not destruction?

It's the equivalent of a giant vacuum cleaner for the space along Stellvia's approach lanes.

Every so often, somebody flubs a Piloting roll. Somebody's got to clean up the resulting messes, and Yayoi's original setting offered this as a possibility.  Yes, it's overkill, but Noah is nothing if not "overkill" personified...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:
For that matter, if Fnord wants to use his fiat, or, Bob, if you want to use yours, I'll stop.
Not yet I won't, but you really need to address the clear perception that I and at least a few other people have that you are trying to have the biggest stick in the forum when it comes to determining what's "by the rules" and what's not.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Valid. My position is as follows.
- First, I acknowledge that I give significantly more feedback of the "this doesn't fit the rules/may not fit the rules/there is a concern here" variety than anyone else. I'd have to go and check, but it may be that I give more than everybody else combined - especially if you ignore the few outliers that are blatantly breaking all *sorts* of rules.
- Second, I would hold that it is important that there be some mechanism for that variety of feedback to be given. Rules that are not maintained have a tendency to loosen until meaningless. (It is also true that rules that are overmaintained have a tendency to tighten until suffocating. This has been pointed out to me, I have taken steps to reduce my tendencies in this direction, and I am always interested in feedback on how well I'm doing on the point. ref: Wangst Creep.)
- Third, I suspect (but cannot prove) that in the absence of one or more people actively and deliberately taking an interest in holding forth for the rules, people mostly just wouldn't. The call of "oooh, pretty" is quite strong, and people don't want to harsh each other's vibes or be the badguy. Many also, I suspect, do not feel they have the authority. I don't feel that I have any authority at all, but I also don't feel like this variety of feedback requires any.
- Caveat to the above: I do not feel it requires authority, but I do recognize that it is capable of being counterproductive, or even (when the dosage is too high) toxic. I open myself broadly to outside regulation because it is the best way I see to control for those risks.
- Fourth, while I *have* seen others step up to the plate to a degree (and relaxed accordingly) I have not seen enough that I would hold it to be sufficient to the purpose.
- Conclusion: I admit it is not pure, but my primary motivation is that I believe that it is important for the wellbeing of the shared world that someone do this, and I don't see anyone else volunteering. If someone else (or multiple someone elses) want to volunteer, and you'd rather have them do it? Great. I'll back right off. If you do not feel that it is important that this be done? Let me know, and I'll stop. Otherwise...?
--------------------
Incidental: I realized while writing this that part of the problem may be in response time on my end. If I'm responding to things within two to three hours of their being written, I'm not really giving other folks an *opportunity* to weigh in on them first, and I've been visiting the boards with a remarkable frequency these days. I'll pull back on that. If there are any other practical fixes that anyone would like to propose, I'd be open to hearing them. Any fixes that are suggested will be given serious consideration. If Bob or Fnord want to require rather than merely suggest, I will, of course, comply. I do strive to be a *domesticated* fascist.
Quote:
Actually, any of the various Rockhound outfits would be capable of diverting an asteroid.
Well, yes. Clearly, however, they did not have a team in position to get at this particular rock in time, and/or the Stellvia team could get there faster.
Feel free to insert text to that effect, and a donation from Marsden and Rockhounds Inc. to cover a portion of the costs of the mission. They have a large investment in the public perception of "people hauling Big Rocks at Earth" being a safe thing, and that includes making sure that there are measures in place to deal with problems like this.
Where in the timeframe does this occur, BTW?--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
t's the equivalent of a giant vacuum cleaner for the space along Stellvia's approach lanes.
Okay, I can kind of buy that, but it still feels like pushing it... perhaps becasue it's presented as a completed item, rather than someone saying "Gosh, this is a really overpowered batch of gravity coils - they put out enough pulse force to turn itself and anything too close into neutronium. Gee, I wonder if I could tweak it more and make a black hole? For SCIENCE!" and then later rolling out the Can of Squishy Suckingness.
Granted, that's due to the kind of sudden nature of the incident, but maybe you could have it be a prototyype project that's currently in progres, and have Noah call down to the lab for a status report, revealing a logic chain like that between his narrated thoughts and the reply. Making the device more kludgy-looking could help too, maybe a core uniit that launches and then spreads out a "net" of focusing nodes to extend its effect to useful distance once it's ballistic? Just some possiblities.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Starting with a "meta"...

(me)
Quote:
I'm going to take the advice of an off-line friend who's done collaborative writing in the past and stop paying attention to Sirrocco's complaints...

The two of us have agreed to work out our differences by e-mail, so I'm retracting this stance.

Now for the story elements...

(ECSNorway, re the diversion)
Quote:
Feel free to insert text to that effect, and a donation from Marsden and Rockhounds Inc. to cover a portion of the costs of the mission. They have a large investment in the public perception of "people hauling Big Rocks at Earth" being a safe thing, and that includes making sure that there are measures in place to deal with problems like this.

Thanks, it's greatly appreciated.  Say... Would Rockhounds like an office on Stellvia, at no charge? (Stellvia's business with Earth gives us as big an incentive as you to have public perception of "people hauling Big Rocks at Earth" being a safe thing, and you professionals would probably do a better job of stopping the next rock than we amateurs would...

Quote:
Where in the timeframe does this occur, BTW?

I did put dates and times on the scenes... the accident was at 18:37 GMT 30 June 2011; the final wrapup of the paperwork was at 05:00 GMT 2 July 2011.

(ClassicDrogn, re the implosion round)
Quote:
Okay, I can kind of buy that, but it still feels like pushing it... perhaps becasue it's presented as a completed item,

Don't forget that Stellvia's been in operation for over three years by this point. There's been plenty of time to go through all the boring off-screen design and lab-testing phases for this...

Quote:
Granted, that's due to the kind of sudden nature of the incident, but maybe you could have it be a prototyype project that's currently in progres,

...and I should have made it more clear that this was the prototype, rather than just including the one throwaway line...  ("Kohran, your five-million-dollar prototype worked. Remind me to let you build more when we get back home.") Sorry about that.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown