Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story] Dr. Grey, Scientific Necromancer
[Story] Dr. Grey, Scientific Necromancer
"Doctor. " A large thin man greeted as the hovercar stopped. He bore a remarkable similarity to Raymond Massey. "Your guest has arrived. "

Dr. Grey smiled. He walked immediately to the reception area, passing the television gallery, where Bruce Lee, Jack Dempsey, and Ed' "Strangler"
Lewis were watching the satellite broadcast of an underground combat tournament that aspired to the name of kumite and fell far short. He cared little for
bloodsport, but the products of his recreation were kept amused. He dwelt in the world of the superhuman, and physical confrontation was most of their raison
d'etre.

"Ah. Kage. An uninspired name one thinks. " He greeted his guest. He was garbed in green-gray raiment. He wore a symbol of ten in Japanese on his
forehead. The fabric gave him the impression of being a living, walking shadow. Kage's motions were graceful but not as smooth as Dr. Grey remembered. He
frowned slightly.

"The simple way is best. A man with a broom can kill a samurai, Doctor. " He answered. He did not bow.

"I am pleased to welcome you to my domicile, Kage. I do not invite many to my dwelling. I must confess some surprise that you accepted. "

"You are a mind of great power. " The Kage answered. "That is a rare quality. The world is infested with mediocrity that I find myself attracted
to anything that shows a promise of greatness. Your talents are that of greatness fulfilled. "

"I am not particularly susceptible to flattery. " Dr. Grey responded.

"My time is valuable as is yours. Talking about falsities is a waste of time. " The Kage responded.

Joe Louis and Primo Carnera had now settled into seats around the movie screen.

"The Kumite Deathblow Matches. They chose that deliberately. " Dr. Grey stated, knowing that the Kage would recognize the appellation.

"You have spies there. "

"The first camera was obvious. Now that local security takes pride in having done their job, my second cameraperson can proceed without harassment. "

"A very clever execution of misdirection. There are many who cannot grasp it in the most basic of scenarios. "

A cheer came from the room as Joe Louis nudged Jack Dempsey and commented on the effectiveness of one of the fighter'

s right cross as a knockout blow.

"Rather crude. " Dr. Grey noted.

"I was not aware that you hold interest in the martial arts. "The Kage commented.

"I am a scientist. I prefer testing a hypothesis to physical fisticuffs. Prudence must be mixed with force. "

"Machiavelli. " Kage answered.

"Is one of your operatives participating?" He asked him.

"A masked man under the name of Hito. It seemed to fit the venue. it is an ongoing experiment. "

"One of your robotic replicas?"

"No. My time is precious and my research must be spent on things that can best assist my work. I do not make robotic replicas. "

"Then what are your historical recreations?"

"Biological. "

Kage became silent. Dr. Grey could have attributed this to either surprise or disinterest. Dr. Grey could have cared less.

"How is Alberto?"She asked him, turning to the real reason behind his visit.

"As well as can be expected. " Shockwave Alberto was the codename taken for the head of the Magnificent Ten. Kage was a member of one of the Ten.

"He gloats too much. " Dr. Grey stated.

"Perhaps. He prefers public recognition of his victory. "

"True victory does not require public recognition. No one will deny the final victory, and even if they did, it would be useless. "

"A final victory? This sounds like you and not Lord Alberto. "

"I do not speak about either of us. "Dr. Grey corrected.

The remark intrigued the Kage although he held his face an expressionless mask.

A man in a German military uniform approached, and tried to hand him a report.

"The JLInterplanetary finally captured-"

"Leave it in my study. I changed my mind on that months ago. I am very busy, General. You are dismissed. " Dr. Grey instructed.

The general sullenly saluted, turned on his heels, and strolled away.

"Rommel?" The Kage inquired.

"One of my tactical advisors. He and Patton are quite close these days. However, soldiers always overestimate their importance. "

"What about Goering and his other Nazi friends?"

"I do not surround myselves with them. I prefer to be with people who actually have something intelligent to contribute. " Dr. Grey stated in a cold
voice. They passed by a room.

"Leonardo da Vinci?" Kage asked in a tone of some surprise, which for anyone else would have a piercing scream, a jump, and a hand to the heart.

"You do not know my ambitions. Given the choice of reproducing the man on the street, or even worse, a politician, what better challenge would there be
than the nature of giants? What better zeitgeist of the Renaissance than Leonardo? "

"Can you produce superpowered beings?" The Kage asked.

"Handwavium appears to respond best to conscious beings. The embryos tend to destroy the handwavium altogether. Genetic retrovirii seem to have an
ameliorating effect on handwavium destruction. One in every ten million embryos appears to attract a handwavium power. The study has been most revealing.
"

"Then you have many handwaved servants. " The Kage concluded.

"It is a simple process, but not easy. One day, I shall encode the handwaved abilities into human DNA and eliminate handwavium altogether and create
custom-powered humans at will. "

His face was masked. The statement seemed to disconcert him. Dr. Grey was pleased. His most successful superhumans relied on completely solid state technology.
His handwaved humans tended to be no powerful than a strong athletic human. He decided to further demonstrate his capabilities.

Three containers rose from the floor. Each one had a handwavium-enhanced power.

"This one was a epidemiologist. His biomod allowed him to clean the dirt from the skin. He made a fortune opening a resort. This one was a housewife given
wings. The third is a pickpocket who had a habit of bragging about his thefts, but his power was that to be unseen while robbing people. "

"A wide variety of subjects. " The Kage stated.

"It may interest you to know, that I have found a way to neutralize the handwavium-enhancement, temporarily. I've converted a transmitter for just
this process. Imagine if I used such a weapon on JLInterplanetary Headquarters? I trust Alberto would find such a service profitable. I am sure we can come to
an agreement. "

The Kage said nothing.

"While you consider my offer with the included free demonstration, allow me to show you my recreations. Or perhaps you have no interest in my
hobbies?"

"If you wish to be self-indulgent, make it interesting. " The Kage answered. They walked past the ballroom in which John F. Kennedy and Mariyn Monroe
were dancing together.

"There is no surer guide to the future than the past. " Dr. Grey remarked. They winded their way past Walt Disney watching Beauty and the Beast and
enjoying the picture other than various comments on the inconsistencies of the lines. Richard Burton was bragging about his exploits in Mecca to an interested
John Lennon.

"How intriguing. " He commented.

"I prefer to think of this as their afterlife. " Dr. Grey answered.

They came to the part where Dr. Grey had been heading. There was a gymnasium with one man. He was lifting some huge machinery. The readout told the Kage that
it was someone with superhuman strength.

"This is one of my greatest works. He calls himself Modi. "

"He calls himself Wrath? " the Kage questioned.

"I brought him back from the dead. There was something about his death that intrigued me, and my instincts did not fail me. He was trained as a Viking
berserker. He is now extremely strong and fast, and potentially superior to the Jason in strength and reflexes. "

"What?" The Kage asked flatly.

"Speed is being worked on as we speak. " Dr. Grey answered.

"Bad news, Doctor. " An old man in bifocals handed him a piece of paper.

"Blast. " He grimaced.

"Anything I can do to assist?" The Kage asked Dr. Grey

"No. Mr. Franklin will keep you entertained. " He walked away.

The Kage looked at Mr. Franklin and one programmed hologram went with him while he went the other way invisible. He followed Dr. Grey. He followed him through
corridors and chambers of a hidden fortress. One chamber contained a neural-net AI composed of biological brain matter noting down television ratings and movie
attendance as an experiment in mass psychology. Another noted the star chart movements of ships in space keeping track of everyone in space. A third led to
genetically altered frogs leaping around an early experiment on enhancement technologies.

"You can come out now, Kage. " He called. The man in the mask stepped out boldly.

"You are not permitted here. " He told him.

"No roads are barred to the Kage. "the man told Dr. Grey.

"Even if you were the Kage, you would not be permitted here. " Dr. Grey answered. " I surround myself with recreations of reality. Did you
really think you would pull it off? Your emotional response is consistent, but your physical movement betrayed you. You pulled off the real Kage's
arrogance perfectly. Your performance is very good, but not perfect. "

"You will die. "The man in the mask stated.

"Please, Copycat Ryan as you style yourself. You were hired to kill me by the grieving families I left behind after that mess on the biotech station.
There should be two more of you. "The man who the false Kage saw before in the gymanisum held the bodies of two regular ninja in each hand.

"They put up a fight.Antaeus is unconscious. " Dr.Grey's eyebrows raised

"The Village of Hidden Asteroids has been hiding secrets. "Dr./ Grey mused.

"Take this one then. " Dr. Grey answered. He charged and Dr. Grey slipped by him with superhuman grace. He sprayed him in the face with an atomizer.
His quick reaction proved to a master's work as the way he dodged and flipped became a work of art all while evading the spray.

"Nin. " Dr. Grey stated as Ryan evaded a blow from someone who was also invisible. The air currents in the corridor had warned him who Dr. Grey had
addressed. Trust him to steal the Japanese word for invisibility. That was all he had time for when a blast of light triggered disorientation in his neural
patterns. He shook off the effects in an instant with a meditative trance technique and ran for the door. He touched doors that shattered upon his finger as he
ran towards the exit. The complex was shifting. His direction sense functioned as he blasted through things that blocked his way. He had never felt more
impassioned in his life. He had to rescue his two comrades and contact the Village of Hidden Asteroids and get everyone they were allied to turn the fortress
into rubble. He had thought a handwavium disruption weapon would be impossible and he had quickly figured out the how and why of the temporary disruption. He
had to get out to warn them.

The labyrinth came to an end and saw daylight looming ahead of him. There were trees up there, he could jump up among them. Then he saw the mass of dead
football players waiting for him. He didn't recognize any of them as they tackled him. He blasted the ground and the air threw up football players all over
the grass. He hopped onto a tree and slammed into one who felt like a brick wall.

"He's all yours Antaeus. Let's see if you can handle one of them without help. " The one known as Nin suggested. Ryan slammed a blow from the
secret techniques of Hidden Asteroid into the one called Antaeus who skidded back on the branch and fell down out of sight.

"He's going to need training. " Nin commented as a woman looked up from below. A bolt of lightning hit him and he knew no more.

"What do we do with them, your worship?" The woman named Lei asked Dr. Grey.

"Their talents are too good to waste killing them. Use the mind virus. " Dr. Grey instructed.

"Yes, Lord Grey. " His twelve Elites chorused.

"Place him in the examination room. The Village Hidden in Asteroids has displeased me, so I'm going to remove them from the board. "

"You're going to kill them all?" Lei questioned.

"That would be a waste of mercenary talent. I'm going to buy their village. I can supply them vat-grown meat for their Ninjaburger franchise and
they'll stop bothering me with their highly-trained ninja through a suitable medium. "

Okay. I've had a chance to go over this one a couple times now.

Kent, I'd like you to explain to me, nice and slow, exactly what you're trying to accomplish here. Because I'm seeing stuff in here that very
definitely crosses Lines that can't be crossed unless the *entire* group agrees to cross 'em, and I want to know what you're doing, why you're
doing it, and what you hope to accomplish here.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Trying to figure out how Dr. Grey's mind works. Tell me which stuff crosses the line and I'll replace it with something that stays within the lines or
eliminate it.

The 800kg gorilla that jumps out is the superpowered handwavium clones of famous people. Beyond the raw "why!?" factor, the technology involved/implied is way past the accepted maximum. Superpowers in general stretch the consensus-accepted lines (frex, a winged biomod is within tolerance, but healing with a touch is emphatically not) but I personally am willing to accept low-level pulp powers (Trained To The Maximum Human Potential jazz, stuff like that) without quibbling.

Handwavium cloning, OTOH, is right the hell out. Especially famous people; I just don't have the patience to deal with that.

However, quirky extreme cosmetic "surgery" is fine. That's what the catgirling machine that the Boskone base codenamed "Jusenkyo" uses.

Which would actually make Doctor Grey worse, since he's modifying people who would NOT normally want to look like Ben Franklin, Hitler, etc.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Extreme cosmetic surgery to make them look like historical figures along with historical data loaded into their brains through conventional brainwashing
techniques along with instilling the belief that they are historical figures works.

Either way, we end up with, what, something like the I-Jin from Read or Die?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

And to be honest, I'm still confused as to the "why?" factor. What use to a mad scientist and would-be criminal mastermind are a dozen identical
copies of Bruce Lee and Benjamin Franklin?

I would conjecture he's trying to find out if he can copy his skills and knowledge into somebody, and cause them to believe they're him as a form of
immortality and using famous people as test cases along with the unwilling test subjects. Or at least create a duplicate of him so when Dr. Grey dies, it's
actually some guy who he brainwashed into believing he's Dr. Grey.

Quote:I would conjecture he's trying to find out if he can copy his skills and knowledge into somebody, and cause them to believe they're him as a form of immortality and using famous people as test cases along with the unwilling test subjects. Or at least create a duplicate of him so when Dr. Grey dies, it's actually some guy who he brainwashed into believing he's Dr. Grey.
Mal, this dovetails nicely with something you e-mailed me about a few months ago regarding a certian Boskonian. Excepting the "famous people" bit, that is...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Mal, this dovetails nicely with something you e-mailed me about a few months ago regarding a certian Boskonian. Excepting the "famous people" bit, that is...

It *does,* doesn't it? Though I was thinking at the time of a half-assed version of the Friez process, but this would work too. Or maybe a hybrid of the two.

I-Jin are artificial humans based on DNA from exceptional figures from history. In many cases their genetic makeup was augmented and complimented with
cybernetic enhancements giving such individuals enhanced abilities.

Stir in genetic enhancement and chemical enhancement.

Problem is, Fenspace tech can't reliably do any of that... yet.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Not to mention the difficulty in obtaining the DNA samples, a few of them are old enough that there'd be nothing but bones (at best). Not to mention the
problem of tracking down the grave sites and digging up the bodies (especially in a USA that's hostile towards Fen).

And what's with 'Modi'? How can he be 'trained' as a norse berzerker and have the doctor take an intrest in his death? If he was a real
berzerker then he'd have died several centuries BW (Before Wave) and his death, even if it was recorded, would not have labeled his gravsite with any sort
of accuracy (not to mention the Norse tradition of sending a dead warrior's body to sea in a burning boat)

If Modi did die in the recent past (say the last few decades) he'd hardly be what I'd describe as a 'Norse Berzerker'.

I really should have made that more clear.

I-Jin from Read or Die-I-Jin are artificial humans based on DNA from exceptional figures from history. In many cases their genetic makeup was augmented and
complimented with cybernetic enhancements giving such individuals enhanced abilities.

I-Jin from Dr. Grey-kidnapped humans with extreme cosmetic surgery and loaded skills and knowledge during brainwashing to mimic famous figures in history. Stir
in genetic, chemical, or cybernetic enhancements.

The training as a Norse berserker would be one of those knowledge or skill implants Dr. Grey is trying to do through the brainwashing. I suppose he found a
berserker who died a recorded death that caught his interest and decided to (re)make someone in their image.

Also, now I have a better name for those guys.