and the Fenspace shared-world setting

created by Sean M. Breen

Prologue: Sangnoir of the Universe

16 June 2008

11:19 GMT

Unnamed private station, Habitat Module 1

"The pressure test on Tank 3 looks good, Mr. Scott."

"Yoriko, how many times have I told you to call me 'Noah'?"

The woman looked at her feet. "But you're my boss ... and my creator. And we're working."

"So? There's only the five of us up here; there's no need to stand on formality. Besides, I'd much rather be your friend than your owner,
okay? And that goes for the rest of you, too."

"Is that an order, sir?" asked the youngest-looking person in the habitat module.

Noah sighed. "No, Sora, that's a request." He turned to one of the others. "Kohran, please bring the pressure in Habitat Tank 3 no, it's
Module 3, now bring the pressure down to one standard atmosphere. We'll use some of the building
supplies we left in the tank to install some wiring and plumbing, and build some internal walls in it. I know I'm looking forward to having a private
apartment again."

"Yes, sir," replied the girl as she reached toward a control bank. Then she stopped. "Mr. Scott ..."

"What did I just say, Kohran?"

"Mr. Scott, there's something wrong. The pressure in Module 3 is already down to one
atmosphere. And the microphones we put in it for the hull stress test are picking up ... a working turbine engine."

"That's impossible."

Everyone else looked at Noah. "Just like artificial gravity and artificial intelligence are impossible, sir?" asked the other android in the habitat.

"Good point, Yayoi. Yoriko, please come with me; let's go see what the miracle goop's done this time. The rest of you, stay here and listen in
over the microphones, please."

11:24 GMT

Airlock between Habitat Modules 2 and 3

"What is that?"

"It's a motorcycle, Yoriko. A pretty advanced one, by the looks of it." Noah shook his head in amazement. "But who brought it here, and how
could it still be running after this long?"

"Sir?"

"The engine. It should have used up most of the oxygen in there by now ... Oh, shit. There's somebody on the bike."

Yoriko pushed Noah back into Module 2, then closed the airlock door in front of him and opened the door to Module 3.

Well, thought Noah as he rubbed the brand-new sore spot on his chest and watched Yoriko rush at
inhuman speed to the first aid kit, then to the motorcycle, at least she's
got the basic sense of humanity I hoped I'd programmed into all of the girls.

Location Unknown. Date Unknown. Time Unknown.

I woke up to discover myself not home. Again.

I was on a makeshift cot, inside what looked like an antiseptic-yet-makeshift warehouse. My helmet was sitting on the floor beside me within easy reach, beside
a small oxygen cylinder with a breather mask attached. Two people a tall middle-aged caucasian man with "swivel-chair spread" and a petite young
asian woman with long hair, both wearing polo shirts, jeans, deck shoes, and what looked like perscription glasses were examining my motorcycle (without
touching it, so they seemed to be polite) while talking quietly with each other. I cleared my throat to let them know I was awake.

The man stepped forward. "Hello, stranger," he said (in English, with the stereotypical educated middle-class American accent). "I'm glad
you're awake; you almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning. I hope you don't mind that Yoriko shut down your bike."

"No, that's all right. Good thing you found me in time," I smiled.

"Indeed. I'm called Noah Scott, and I'm your host. If you don't mind me asking, who are you and how did you get aboard this piece of
what's becoming my space station?"

Space station? That explained why the exhaust from my bike's engine almost killed me; the life-support systems were probably overtaxed by the fumes. I
stood and bowed to Yoriko, then offered to shake Mr. Scott's hand. "Douglas Sangnoir, at your service. But please call me Doug." The two of them
exchanged a Meaningful Glance. "Don't tell me you've heard of me?"

"We've heard of you," replied Yoriko. She had a hint of the standard Japanese-newscaster accent, but it was almost lost in, I kid you not, an
American Southern accent thick enough to cut with a knife. (Not a Deep South accent, though it seemed to be from the Carolinas.)

"I asked you not to tell me that." They both smiled at that, then exchanged another Meaningful Glance.

"Actually," added Mr. Scott as he shook my hand, "we've heard of someone with your name and taste in humor. We assume he's you."

"Really? Have I been here before?" Then I realized what he was talking about. "Or is this connected to that 'transfictionality' effect
that Legion told me about?"

They both sighed with relief. "That's exactly what we're talking about, Colonel, and we're glad you've already heard of it. That'll
make it easier for us to talk near you."

"Oh?" Then I realized what Yoriko had called me. "And how did you know my rank?"

"I don't know whether you or Legion has considered the implications of transfictionality, but when one of our universe's authors combined the
concept with quantum mechanics' lack of a privileged frame of reference, he realized that everyone
is fictional in some other reality somewhere." She stopped talking when Mr. Scott put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'd let Yoriko continue, but we don't have all week." She blushed as he went on. "Sometimes I think about that and wonder whether
anyone reads stories about me. But that's not important right now. What is important is that
your arrival here proves that theory valid, because we've read stories about you."

Oh, wonderful not again. "Are you telling me I have no
secrets here, Mr. Scott?"

"Please, call me Noah I keep telling everyone there's no need to stand on formality here. The stories you're in aren't
that well-known, and we don't know most of your personal details ... but a few of us are well
aware of who Looney Toons of the International Strike Teams is."

Oh, boy ... but wait a minute. "Of the what? My team back home is called the Warriors."

Noah looked relieved, and I can guess why. "Ah, right; my mistake."

13:07 GMT

Habitat Module 1

"Here's the spare laptop, Mr. Scott. What do you want transferred to it?"

"Sora, my name is Noah. Copy the Drunkard's Walk
files in the server's fanfiction directory, up to where the Loon learns about transfictionality, to a temporary directory on the
server, strip out anything he didn't learn firsthand, then compress those edited files and copy them to the laptop. And whatever you do,
don't copy any of the sequel series. Once you've done that, copy over all of the music in my
personal playlist except for the soundtracks to stories from the places he's visited, then go on to the World Factbook
and the most recent out-of-copyright version of the Britannica ..."

Unnamed private station Habitat Module 1. Tuesday, June 17, 2008. 7:43 AM Local Time.

"I hope you don't mind the low-quality breakfast, Doug. I'm expecting Hermes Universal Deliveries to show up with the week's groceries later
this morning; right now, this is all I've got."

"I've had to survive on worse, Noah," I replied, just before taking another bite of the granola bar he'd given me. "Besides, considering
how I'm feeling after what you told me yesterday, I doubt I'd enjoy anything fancier."

"Sorry about that. I thought you'd rather we throw you into the deep end, instead of easing you into the surprises you're going to get here."

"You proved you know who and what I am when we met. Giving me censored copies of stories about what I've been doing recently surprised me even
more."

"Oh, you caught that?"

"Yeah. But what could be more surprising than you knowing who I am?"

"Meet my crew." Noah grinned and raised his voice. "Come in, ladies!"

The door opened and four young asian women stepped into the compartment. One was Yoriko, who I recognized from the day before. Another was unfamiliar to me,
while I had a strange feeling I'd met the third somewhere but I couldn't quite place her.

The last was a dead ringer for a woman I'd left on the other side of the portal I'd used yesterday.
"Kohran?"

"Well, I didn't expect him to faint." Noah stood up. "Help me get him onto the couch, please."

7:47 AM.

I opened my eyes to see Yoriko standing beside me, holding a small gadget. I suspected it was an audio playback device of some sort from the way the strains of
The Beatles' Good Morning Good Morning came from it.

When she saw that I was awake, she turned away and said, "I was right, Mr. Scott. It does work
on him, too."

"It shouldn't have," I said as I sat up. "My talent doesn't work when I'm unconscious. I assume I passed out from the shock?"

She nodded. "That and some lingering aftereffects from the carbon monoxide poisoning. I think."

I checked the clock on the wall. "I have a good constitution and it has been a few minutes. I think maybe I came to on my own. Would you mind turning that
off, please? My talent's going nuts trying to find somebody to wake up."

"Oh, sorry, Mr. Sangnoir." Yoriko shut off the playback.

"Thank you. And my name's Doug. Now, would somebody please explain to me how Kohran got here?"

The person in question cleared her throat. "Well ... actually, I'm not the Kohran Li that you met. I just look, sound, act, and think like her. I
think."

Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said, "Huh?"

Noah passed me a mug of orange juice. "There's six people on this station right now, but only the two of us are humans. The four lovely ladies are
androids."

"Ah, I see."

"You don't seem surprised at the fact that we're AIs," said one of the girls I didn't recognize.

"Should I be?"

"From what Mr. Scott tells us, we may be the only androids in existance."

The other girl I didn't recognize added, "But there are rumours about some others ..."

"Built by that 'Professor' person? He doesn't really exist, Yayoi ... Does he, sir?"

Noah looked her and answered, "How should I know? But there was quite a bit about him in the papers earlier this year, Sora, so I'm guessing he's
real. But androids don't seem like his style."

"Then we're alone in the universe, aren't we?" whispered Sora.

I smiled and walked over to her. "Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before someone else builds another AI. They just have to use the same
designs that whoever built you used." Nobody answered me. "What did I get wrong?"

After a moment, Noah cleared his throat. "Even if A.C. the person who helped me with the hardware side of the ladies even if he and I released the plans,
they might not be reproducable. There's a certain something that we don't yet understand that's part of their makeup ..."

They went on for an hour, answering most of my questions as best they could.

In this universe, men first walked on the Moon in 1969. After a half-dozen Lunar missions, nobody went farther than Earth orbit for three and a half decades,
and each trip into space was a major engineering effort. But last year, something they called "handwavium" appeared, which seems to handwave away
some of the laws of physics. Mr. Scott got the idea to build his station because, fourteen months ago, someone had used handwavium to sail a pocket cabin
cruiser into space. Noah was able to move into space four months ago, and his companions had been self-aware for almost four weeks, solely because of the
handwavium. (I got them to promise to give me a sample.)

But this stuff didn't work the same way for different people. Two identical twins who applied the same amount of handwavium on the same make and model of
panel truck in the same way got two wildly different results; one of the trucks was quite happily purring along (literally) on Earth, getting 100 miles to the
gallon and never becoming dirty; the other was flying twice-weekly delivery runs between Seattle and Utopia Planitia on Mars, but couldn't be budged unless
Star Trek soundtrack music was playing on its built-in CD player.

Yes, I'm sure of this. Noah showed me some of the experiment footage.

Cutting to the chase, nobody could build the same kind of AIs that Noah had, because they weren't him. And he couldn't get male androids, or females
who didn't wear glasses, to wake up. When I asked whether he was sure about that, he glanced quickly at the girls and shook his head quickly. "Moving
on, we have to figure out how to get you on your way."

I took the hint. "Are you tired of my company so soon?"

"Hardly," he smiled. "It's nice to be able to speak with someone who's willing to treat me as an equal ..." If he was waiting for a
response from the others, he didn't get it. "... but I can't expect you to settle down here for the rest of your life. As I understand it, you
have to find some song that'll open a gateway to your next stop. We have to figure out how to
get your bike's engine to run without fouling the air in the station or overheating, so you can go through that gateway safely."

"Good point." And that seemed like as good an opening as any to ask about accounts. "How much will I owe you for your help? And the food and
lodging, for that matter?"

"I've got more money that I can conveniently use right now, Doug. But I won't turn down your help with the construction work ..."

Tuesday, June 24, 2008. 12:01 PM.

We had gotten into a routine over the last week we'd wake up between 6:00 and 7:00 AM, do the usual morning routines, have breakfast, argue for a couple of
hours about how to contain my bike's exhaust without tethering the bike to the station and fail to come up with any practical ideas, do some work on the
station's interior, have lunch and catch up with the day's news at noon, do more work on the station, have supper, discuss and dismiss for an hour or
so possible songs to send me on my way, relax for a few hours, and turn in for the night.

But today was slightly different.

Yoriko was reading news services on the Tapestry (which they called the Internet here) while eating lunch, so she was the one who noticed the message from
Japan. "Mr. Scott!"

"Yoriko, my name is Noah ..." he said wearily.

"This looks important, sir. It's from Xebec's lawyers."

He moved from sitting across from me to looking over her shoulder so fast, I wondered for a moment whether he'd teleported there. "Oh, please be what
I hope it is ... Yes! We got their permission! Yayoi, go get the champagne!"

"Permission?" I asked.

"I think you're familiar with the concept of compensating the original creators for their work, Doug," he answered as he put on a leather jacket.
"This message confirms that I just got the last bit of legal permission I needed. I've had the okay from the original creator for a while now, but
this is from the animation studio that turned the story into the television series where I got the idea from in the first place."

Yayoi came back with two bottles of Bollinger one Vieille Vignes Franaises (which proved my host really did have more money that he could conveniently use
right now) and one Special Cuve. She handed the latter to Noah. "Does this mean I can start using a family name now, sir?"

"It certainly does, Ms. Fujisawa," he replied with a grin. "Now, everybody please get
back I don't want you getting hit by flying glass." We all ducked behind the couch. "I've had a speech prepared for this day for weeks, but
in all the excitement I can't remember how it goes, so I'll just cut to the chase." He lifted the bottle and brought his arm back.

"I christen this station ... Stellvia!" And he smashed the Special Cuve bottle against the
bulkhead.

27 June 2008

22:17 GMT

Stellvia Habitat Module 2

"What did you want to show me, Kohran?"

"Well, Mr. Scott ..." She noticed his expression before he could say anything. "Noah, this was an experiment of mine that I had going when Mr.
Sangnoir ... Doug showed up."

"Do I want to know what you were trying to do?"

"Probably not. But take a look at this, this, and this." She pointed to a few lines of data on the computer screen beside the workbench. "They
don't match anything I expected to see, and I can't replicate the effects."

"And this means ... what?"

"First I thought that something about Doug caused the anomalies, but if that was the case, he should have made the experiment fail that way again. It
hasn't."

"Again, this means what?"

"Sorry. I think it means this is interference from the worldgate he used to get here. If
that's the case, I can use this to make a gateway detector."

"I see. What do you need to do to be sure?"

Kohran thought for a moment. "I need to set up the experiment again, and have it running when Doug leaves."

"Okay. Do it. Doug's trustworthy, and the stories indicate that the 'Legion' person he met is on the side of the angels, but who knows what
other kind of people might be bouncing around the universes?"

Stellvia Habitat Module 3. Sunday, June 29, 2008. 5:36 PM.

We'd finally come up with a way to capture my bike's exhaust fumes that wouldn't interfere with the bike going through the portal. In essence, it
was a pressure tank hooked up to the tailpipe with a slow-flow regulator so it didn't suck all the gases in the engine out at once, plus some water-cooling
gear around the turbine, all mounted on a small antigravity sled.

The handwavium was good at creating artificial gravity, but didn't do too well for antigravity unless it was hooked up to a spaceship of some sort.

And I'd seen all sorts pass by over the week that I'd been here. For example, someone with more bravery than sense had welded a few semi trailers
together, took at least a dozen more in tow, painted the name Fateful Lightning on the side, put a
semi tractor on the front, and launched the entire deathtrap into space three days before the Stellvia christening ceremony.
That was a sight to see as it went past us ... but you'd never get me to ride in it. When I
pointed it out to the others, Noah said it was probably somebody who wanted a lot of living space but couldn't afford anything better. It seems that
there's a lot of people like that out here.

Anyway.

Getting back to the antigrav sled ... We had to do it the hard way. Luckily, Sora and Kohran were quick students it only took a few days for me to share enough
of what I'd learned back home and from Skuld before they knew enough of the theory to build a knock-off of the Anson GravMaster.

In the meantime, they shared some of their own music with me. A few of the songs tickled my magegift, but I didn't want to test them aboard Stellvia
explosive decompression would have ruined everybody's day. They made sure I had copies of all the songs they played for me.

While Sora and Kohran were building the trailer and the others were unloading a shipment of supplies, I found myself at loose ends for a few moments. (Yoriko
wouldn't let me help with the unloading because I was a guest.) The least I could do for my hosts in exchange for the songs they'd given me was to
clear up one of their mysteries. I grabbed my helmet in one hand, used the other to pick up a handy lump of gelled handwavium, and concentrated on it.
"System, load song 'Who Made Who'. Play song."

When I regained consciousness, I was flat on my back on that makeshift cot. "Are you all right?" asked Yoriko.

"I think so..." I sat up, then layed down again. "Except for a horrid ringing sensation in my head when I move."

The door opened and closed again, and I heard Noah's voice. "How's Doug doing?"

"I'm awake, but my head hurts. What happened?"

"Damned if I know. I've never seen handwavium do that before. I hope I never see it happen
again." He was shaking his head when he stepped into my field of view. "The goop... imploded, I think. At least, we can't find any of the lump
you were holding when you collapsed. But I have to ask: What were you doing with it?"

"I thought I was doing you a favor. I have a song in my collection that tells me who or what created what I'm concentrating on."

"And you tried using it on the handwavium, didn't you?" He whistled. "That's
the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question in this universe ... What did you find out?"

I frowned. "Nothing."

28 June 2008

22:04 GMT

"If he keeps using his song ability, he's likely to cause a serious accident, sir. He won't mean to do it, but there's a chance he could
depressurize the entire station."

Noah nodded in agreement. "He isn't even in danger, Sora. He's got a song that lets him survive space and re-entry, and fly all the way to
Earth's surface before it ends. And the four of you can survive hard vacuum, although you'd need to get your skin replaced if you tried. I'm the
one who's in danger."

"But ... that's not fair."

"I know. Life isn't fair, Sora. I'll start wearing my skinsuit under my clothes,
okay?"

"Well ..." Sora picked up a box. "I've been trying to make a spacesuit out of normal clothing and miracle goop, and I think maybe I've
succeeded. He won't know you're wearing a pressure suit if you wear these clothes."

Noah smiled. "Before Doug showed up, you didn't care what other people thought of your actions. Now you do."

"Is that bad?"

"On the contrary, you're developing your own personality. And so are the others, come to think of it. That's just what I had hoped for. Oh, yes as
long as we're alone ..."

"Sir?" Sora looked a bit apprehensive.

"I don't want Doug to hear this, but I have to say it." She sighed in relief as Noah went on. "That hardtech gravity control he's been
teaching you and Kohran is absolutely top secret, understand? If that was to get out, it would
change society even more than the miracle goop did."

"I understand, sir. But what if someone figures out we're keeping a secret?"

Noah thought for a moment. "Then you hold out as long as possible, then tell them about the kaboomite project. I'd rather
that secret get out than this one. But
I'd prefer that you keep them both secret if at all possible. I'll tell the others about this later." He started to leave the workshop, then
turned back. "Sora, I would never force you to do anything you don't want to do.
Anything. That's a promise."

Stellvia Habitat Module 1. Friday, July 4, 2008. 7:43 PM Local Time.

We've already got our Independence Day fireworks ... in a way.

The six of us were too busy to take the day off for the holiday. Actually, we were too close to actually finishing the work in the Space Shuttle fuel tank that
had become Habitat Module 3, and we all wanted to finish it off this week and relax over the weekend.

Noah had played patriotic music on the stereo while we worked, though. (Instrumentals only, bless him.) He was kind enough to shut that off when I picked up my
helmet to make this journal entry, but that just caught everyone else's attention.

"Um ... Why do you record those diary messages, Doug?" Sora was more talkative than she had been when I arrived, but that wasn't saying much.

"It's standard operating procedure, Sora. I make a daily report on my solo activities so the Warriors know what I've done. Hexe sometimes says
it's so they know what they have to clean up after me, but it's really for training the newcomers to the Warriors. My wife's the only person who
reads all of my reports." I thought of Maggie for a moment, and smiled. "When I'm away, I write home every day."

"And the next line," added Noah, returning my smile.

"Yes, and the next line."

The ladies exchanged puzzled looks. Noah noticed and said, "I'll play the song for you later. Right now, let's let Doug write home today."

"Thanks." I brought my helmet up to open the keypad control, which meant I was looking out the viewport at just the right time. "What the hell
...?"

Everyone turned to see what had caught my attention.

"What is that?"

"It looks like a big asteroid, but it's leaving Earth's atmosphere."

"Somebody get a camera, quickly!"

"I've already switched on my visual recorders, sir," replied Sora as she stared out the viewport.

"I hope you don't mind delaying your letter home, Doug. I have to check out the news about
this." Noah turned to the computer console. "Yayoi, where do I want to listen?"

"Judging from the speed and trajectory of that rock, I believe it came from northern Africa."

"Thanks. BBC it is, then."

He keyed in a few commands and the computer's speaker came to life. "...eports of a large land mass launching from Nigeria are being confirmed by both
the European Space Agency and the Transrationality Scientific Assessment Bureau. We have just learned that Number 10 has issued a statement, which I will read
now: 'We are dismayed that anyone would want to take the soil of mother Earth away from the future generations that could have lived happily on that land.
This is obviously the action of a group of terrorists who have found another application for the mysterious substance that has caused so many problems in
America over the last year. Anyone who attempts to obtain samples of that substance in order to duplicate this heinous act on British soil will be prosecued to
the fullest extent of the law.'"

Noah shut off the speaker. "More like 'persecuted' ... I wonder whether they need someplace to lie low for a while?"

"I doubt it, sir," replied Sora. "I'm picking up some structures on the ... flying island of rock. There's lights in their windows, so I
think they're airtight and powered."

"That's a ship? Damn! Damn it damn it
DAMN IT!
If I'd
thought of that, I could have saved a fortune by building this station on the ground!"

Yoriko interrupted Noah before he could get into a full rant. "Noah, the other news services are giving other countries' official reactions now. The
British reaction was mild compared to the Americans and the Russians. I'm glad you're building Stellvia the way you are I
want to be able to go to Earth someday."

Noah took a deep breath, then released it slowly. "Yeah, you've got a point, Yoriko. Sora ... no, you're busy. Kohran, is the radio array capable
of handling multiple signals yet?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then let's give them a call and welcome them to the neighbourhood." He turned to me and grinned. "And you've really got something to
write home about now, Doug ..."

Stellvia Habitat Module 3. Saturday, July 12, 2008. 11:24 AM Local Time.

After all that, finding the right song to open the portal was almost anticlimatic. I announced that I'd found it after we finished pressure-testing the
final shuttle tank, which Noah planned to turn into a dock for his spacecraft (which I'd never seen).

Dinner was quiet that night the ladies excused themselves early and took off for Kohran's workshop (which I'd also never seen). "Aren't you
worried about that, Noah?"

"They're finally exercising their own initiative, Doug, which means they're becoming human. They've already proven many times, before and
after you arrived, that they want me to stay alive, so I doubt they're going to sabotage anything. If they want to tell me what they
are doing, that's up to them."

But that was then, and this is now. Sora spent a few minutes making sure the exhaust capture tank and turbine heatsink worked properly before she let me or
Noah into the module, then she gave me my bike's key.

"It's been fun, folks. Although nobody back home would believe some of what I saw if Sora hadn't given me a copy of the video she recorded."
I tapped the bike's left pannier. "Are you sure I can keep that portable computer?"

"It's my gift to you, Doug," Noah replied. "You've helped the ladies start to grow from 'robots' to 'people' a spare
computer is the least I can give you in return."

"Well, if you put it that way, how can I refuse? But now it's time to leave. System ..."

"Mr. Sangnoir! Please don't leave yet!"

I turned to Sora, who was still standing beside my bike. "Is something wrong?"

"No ..." She blushed and looked at the floor if I didn't know she was an android, I'd swear she was human. "I have a present for
you."

"We all agreed that you'd probably appreciate it," added Yoriko, "but Sora's the one who built it."

"How can I refuse, then?"

Sora pushed a small package into my hand, then ran back to the others. I opened the box to discover a keychain with a small gadget attached as a fob.

"The front slides open, sir." I used my thumb to follow Sora's instruction, and discovered a small speaker and an on/off button. "The
battery's good for years, and the song's burned into ROM."

"Which song?" I asked as I slid the cover closed again. No point in taking chances, not when I was about to open the portal.

Yayoi smiled. "I'm Alive. We thought you couldn't have too many copies of
that song."

I thought for a moment. "I think you're right. Thank you." I put my bike's key onto the keychain. "You're good people, all of
you."

"So are you, Doug," answered Noah. "So are you. Feel free to come back anytime, assuming you can find your way here again."

"I just might, but not any time soon. Good-bye, everyone." I put my helmet on, and told it "System, load song
Space Truckin'. Play song."

"Well we had a lot of luck on Venus

We always had a ball on Mars

We meet with all the groovy people

We like the milky way so far

We'll mess around in borealis

We're space truckin' round the staaaaarrs...

Come on! Come on! Come on! Let's go space truckin'!

Come on! Come on! Come on! Space truckin'!"

I could just barely hear Yoriko over the song and the engine. "Good luck getting home!"

I waved and put the bike in gear, and then I was on my way.

12 July 2008

11:31 GMT

Stellvia Habitat Module 3

Once the portal closed behind Doug, Noah turned to Kohran. "Did you get the readings you wanted?"

After a moment, she smiled. "Yes, Mr. Scott ... Noah. And I think I can build a permanent sensor to pick up other worldgates. That may take me a while,
though."

"That's fine. If we're lucky, we'll never need it."

To be continued in Chapter One, Fenspace Explorers ...

Acknowlegements

The Drunkard's Walk and Girls Girls Girls
fanfic cycles were created by Robert M. Schroeck, and are used with permission.

The Fenspace shared-world setting was created by Sean 'Mr. Fnord' Breen.
"Fenspace" is a jointly-held trademark of the Fenspace writers.

"Douglas Q. Sangnoir," "Looney Toons", "The Loon" and any representations thereof are copyright by and trademarks of Robert M.
Schroeck, and are used with permission.

"Helene 'Wetter Hexe' Diedmeier" and any representations thereof are copyright by and trademarks of Helen Imre.

"Maggie 'Shadowwalker' Viel" and any representations thereof are copyright by and a trademark of Peggy Schroeck.

"The Warriors", "Warriors' World", "Warriors International" and "Warriors Alpha" are all jointly-held trademarks of
The Warriors Group, and are used with permission of Robert M. Schroeck.

"Legion" and any representations thereof are copyright by and a trademark of Edward Becerra.

"Noah Scott" and any representations thereof are copyright by and trademarks of Rob Kelk.

"R. Yoriko Nikaido", "R. Sora Hasegawa", and "R. Kohran Li" are the creations of Rob Kelk, based loosely upon the work of Kozuke
Fujishima.

"R. Yayoi Fujisawa" and "Stellvia" are the creations of Rob Kelk, based loosely upon the work of Ryou Azuki.

"Hermes Universal Deliveries" is the creation of 'Griever'.

"A.C." is the creation of 'Cobalt Greywalker'.

Fateful Lightning is the creation of Kevin 'Feinan' Eaches.

The Floating Island is the creation of Aaron 'Acyl' Choo Yilun.

Use of any trademark in this work is not intended as a challenge to said trademark.

Lyrics from All My Loving, by The Beatles, written by Lennon/McCartney, copyright 1963 Northern
Songs.

Lyrics from Space Truckin', by Deep Purple, written by Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger
Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice, copyright 1972 Mauve Music, Inc. (ASCAP).

The author acknowledges the invaluable assistance of Robert M. Schroeck in his sharing of background information, without which this story would have been
impossible.

Discussion in a separate thread, please - say, maybe the thread that started this whole thing off?

-Rob Kelk

"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: [STORY/XOVER] Legend of Galactic Girls
I think I'm far enough along to post an early teaser for Chapter One without feeling guilty about it...

"Sir, the Jet Car's launching."
Noah turned to the operations staff in anger. "Who authorized that launch?"
"And who's on board?" added Blackstone.
"Nobody, Commander; it's just leaving. And we don't know, Mr. Blackstone."
Blackstone moaned. "Not again ..."

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
Blackstone moaned. "Not again ..."
Oh absolutely. I mean, that's the schtick, isn't it?Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Yep.
BTW, what's your e-mail address? I'm ready to send Chapter One to the prereaders, and since the BBIs make a noticeable appearance in it, I thought I'd give you the chance to critique the words I put in their mouths.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

ebony4 at sbcglobal.netEbony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
LEGEND OF GALACTIC GIRLS
By Rob Kelk
Based on the Drunkard's Walk and Girls Girls Girls fanfic cycles
created by Robert M. Schroeck
created by Sean M. Breen

Chapter One: Fenspace Explorers

29 May 2013
Stellvia main operations room

"Commander, there's an alert on my screen that I've never seen before."
Noah walked over to the duty officer's desk and looked at his console. "Oh, bloody hell." Then he thumbed the intercom on. "Engineering, there's a DQS in the Main Concourse! Seal it off, stat! Nobody gets in or out until I get there!" He switched off the intercom and turned back to the duty officer. "Full comms blackout -- all channels, all frequencies, cellphone, radio and interwave -- starting right now. Jam anything you can't turn off. Deny launching or docking permission to all ships, including emergency vehicles. No exceptions to any of this without my express approval. That's my approval, not Ms. Nikaido's or anyone else's. And get all the duty officers up here, no matter what shifts they're on -- you're all on duty starting now and until I say otherwise. You'll get double-pay for the overtime."
"Yes, sir. What's a DQS?"
"It's what we're trying to keep a lid on," answered Noah as he ran out the doorway that Yoriko was keeping open for him. What he didn't add was, because if Suzumiya finds out about this, she'll come back here so fast, she'll Break the Limit. And may all the Gods help us if the Boskonians find out about this.
As the duty officer proceeded to seal off the station, he couldn't help but think that he'd never seen his employer so worried.

Stellvia Main Concourse

The gateway closed behind the last of the travelers, who asked, "Are we there yet?"
"I don't think so, Dee," answered Lisa.
"Are you sure? Maybe we could find someboy who could tell us where we are." Nobody answered, so Delandra looked around ... to see dozens of slack-jawed people staring at the group. "Never mind."
"Oooohhh, computer parts for sale," sighed Skuld happily as she looked past the onlookers. She and Kaolla made a beeline for the stand, forgetting that they didn't have any local currency.
"" complained Sana, in Japanese, from the end of the corridor.
"There are people with fur and cat's ears over there!" exclaimed Nancy with a smile.
"Hey!" shouted the person behind the counter of a snack shop as he grabbed Chalotte's arm, much to her surprise. "Pay for that yakitori before you leave!"

As he and Yoriko reached the sealed-off section of [i]Stellvia
, Noah's intercom beeped. "Scott here."
"Sir, it's Jake Hansen in operations. We've got the security camera feed from the Main Concourse connected to the intercom for you."
"Thank you, duty officer. Please relay it to my PDA," asked Noah as he thumbed the unit to video playback mode. He and Yoriko looked at the display. "Oh, dear. There must be a dozen of them, and a horse, and a motorcycle. Are they an invasion force that didn't know what they'd find here?"
Yoriko squinted. "I've never actually seen a horse, but something looks strange about that one to me."
He took another look, then looked again. "That's not a horse."
"Then what is it?"
"Let me think ... Oh, of course! That woman ..." -- he pointed at a dark-skinned blonde -- "... seems to be Lisa Vanette, and that one ..." -- indicating a fair-skinned raven-haired girl with what looked like a polo mallet strapped to her back -- "... is almost definitely Skuld. Unless a very lucky batch of 'scure-fen have managed to develop inter-dimensional teleportation, The Girls have finally followed Doug here." The way Noah said it, Yoriko could hear the capital letters.
"Who are they?"
"I'm not sure about some of them, so I'll identify the ones I recognize and see whether I can figure out the others."
Yoriko blushed. "Sorry, I meant 'who is this group of people and why are they here?' But I'd like to know who each of them are, too."
"Oh, sorry. The Girls are chasing after Doug Sangnoir for various reasons. You remember Doug, right?"
"How could I forget him?"
"Indeed. As for specific girls ... Lisa's a reporter, mage, and sometime-Senshi."
"Like Yayoi?"
"Sort of, but Lisa can fake metahuman powers with her magic. Skuld's a goddess."
"We're doomed."
"No, she's a nice and good person. I think. The others ... I think the one who looks a lot like Leda is a real Senshi -- Sailor Jupiter."
"Which one? Oh, yeah; she does look a lot like Leda; she could be Leda's half-sister. Her hairstyle's different, though. And she's asian. And she's got bigger --"
Noah quickly interrupted Yoriko. "Moving on --"
"Noah, your heartrate's increasing, and you're --"
"Are you jealous?"
Yoriko thought for a moment. "No ..."
"Then drop it, please. Moving on, the other dark-skinned blonde, the younger one, looks like a teen-age Kaolla Suu; she's a technologist of some sort. I don't remember Doug stopping at Hinata-sou, though."
"He said he wasn't telling us about every place he visited, Noah."
"Point. The albino with the feathered hairdo might be Rei Ayanami; if she is, then she's loosened up a lot since Doug met her."
"I've loosened up a lot since Doug met me."
"That's true, Yoriko. Okay, she's probably Rei. Which means she's an anthromorphic-mecha pilot, and a few other things besides. And the cute asian brunette fashion-plate looks like Mirai Ozora. If she is Mirai, then she's a real-live superhero."
"Like Doug?"
"No, she's more flamboyant than he is, and she maintains a secret identity. Now I start guessing about the others. The one that just came through the portal and went straight to the side of the not-horse is probably a Herald -- a particular sort of mage. And the not-horse is her Companion. What were their names ...? Oh, well. I have no idea who the one that looks like Sara Michelle Gellar or the teenager wearing the yellow tights could be. The short girl, wearing the woolen watch cap, is probably a Borrible ... and she's just been grabbed by Yamada-san. Damn. Damage control time; we'll get them to identify themselves later."
Noah thumbed his PDA off and opened the door.

The doors that Sana complained about opened to reveal an overweight white man and a short asian woman. He was wearing what looked like "business casual" clothes while she was dressed almost like a police officer, but the cut of their outfits was so similar that it was obvious they were in uniform. "Well, isn't this just wonderful," cursed the man. After he took a breath, he continued more calmly. "She's my guest, Yamada-san; please send me the bill."
"We don't have a hope of keeping this secret, Noah," whispered the woman.
"Of course not, Yoriko. There's too many of them, and they showed up in the middle of the Main Concourse. But maybe we can keep the news contained for a while. And they seem friendly, thank Ghu." Noah looked straight at most of the travelers and raised his voice. "Well, do you plan to disrupt everyone's life even more, or are you willing to come with us?"
Nobody moved for a moment. Finally, Lisa asked, "Who are you?"
"The name's Noah Scott. I own this space station."
"Space station?"
Noah rubbed his temples. "I already have a headache just from you showing up, and the carbon monoxide from that engine ..." -- he gestured towards Peggy's bike -- "... isn't helping any. Please don't all shout at once. Are you coming or not?"
They looked at each other as Peggy shut down her motorcycle. "We're coming," answered Dee. "Are you going to have any trouble with that door, Sylvath?"

11:57 GMT
Stellvia conference room

"Yes, Mr. Scott, we already know about transfictionality and how it means we're fictional in other universes." Lisa glanced at Makoto to underline her point. "I don't see why that means we should hide who and what we are."
"Well, Ms. Vanette," Noah replied after taking a bite of his sandwich, "in this universe, the people who've left Earth tend to be the type who enjoy the types of stories you're in. A lot of people are going to recognize your real names. Even I recognized half of you."
"Then we won't have to explain who we are," Rei replied. "How is that bad?"
Noah sighed. "You tell me which is worse -- the people who decided to live just like they think you do down to taking your names as their own, or the people who worship you as demigods."
Most of the women's reactions ranged from distaste to disgust. "I'm not a demigod," muttered Skuld.
"I still fail to see the problem," commented Rei.
"There's something worse. Remember the 'handwavium' that I described to you earlier?" After Rei nodded, Noah continued, "One of the things that it can do is physically change people -- we call that process 'biomodification'. But it can only grant trivial metahuman abilities, like Leda's 'electric eel hands' that can't be turned off. Now, if word was to get out that there's somebody who looks, acts, and has the powers of any one of you, then people are going to start experimenting with biomodification in order to get superpowers. And since biomods can't be undone, some of those ... people ... would likely experiment on other people -- most probably on unwilling people."
Everyone went silent as they realized the implications of Noah's statement.
Except for Sana and Rin-Rin, who didn't speak English. Sana took another gulp from her second can of Jolt cola and asked, "[/i]
--
Rob Kelk

Since it's taking a while to write this chapter, I thought folks might like an early teaser snippet to tide you over. At this point, the Epsilon Blade has just landed at Crystal Paris, and Noah's been stopped from making the potentially-fatal mistake of walking in on the Girls while they're getting changed...

Noah backed away from the door. "I gather someone told them that sailor outfits wouldn't be out of place in Crystal Paris. Do you want to go back and get changed too, Yayoi? I can look out the front window and study this wonderful view of the landing bay's rear wall while you have the door opened."
"Thank you, sir. I did leave my Sailor Armed Militia uniform in the weapon locker." As Noah didn't watch, Yayoi and Rei headed amidships.
The door closed, and Noah heard, "So this is the bridge."
"Yes, this is the bridge, Ms. Skuld," replied Noah as he turned to his visitor. "Oh, my apologies, Ms. Vanette. You and Ms. Skuld sound remarkably alike."
"So we've been told," replied the reporter-turned-Senshi. "I wanted to ask why you gave me this."
"The credit card? I already told you -- it's your ID."
"It's a gold card. Nobody else has a gold card."
Noah smiled. "I have a Stellvia Gold card, and so does Yayoi. Yours is the third ever issued. And before you ask, yes, it's a no-limit card drawing on my private bank account, just like mine and Yayoi's. That should tell you how much I trust you."
"Oh ... Are there any good clothing boutiques here?" she asked with an impish grin.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

It's been over a month, so here's another early teaser. (Fingers crossed, it shouldn't be too many more weeks before the chapter's finished.) This one's from just before the impromptu Iron Inventor match...
"You remember our deal, don't you?"
Ryoko looked cross for a brief moment, then smiled again. "You don't tell Yuki or the others where I am, and I help you keep the Professor and Ms. Li apart." Then she stopped smiling. "Blackmail's not very nice, Mr. Scott."
"I know, and I'm sorry. But we both know why those two must never meet if he's been awake for more than a few days."
"I don't agree, but I have no choice. I'll distract Ms. Li." As Noah was about to thank Ryoko, she added, "After I tell the Professor exactly where you are." Then she stepped aside through a doorway, which closed and locked as soon as she was through it.
"Why shouldn't this 'Professor' meet Kohran?" asked Makoto.
"It's bad enough that each of them is a 'mad scientist' type with no qualms about inventing anything, no matter what use the invention could be put towards. Letting them collaborate would ... well, I doubt it'd be pleasant for everyone else."
"Ah. Ryoko's quite loyal to him, isn't she?"
"The way I understand it, Ryoko loves the Professor to death."
-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Can't wait!-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Chapter 2 just went to the prereaders.
One last teaser...
The door behind the group banged opened suddenly. "Such mercenary intentions are ill-suited to a patron of Science! You should simply provide the information to them without charge!"
"Hello, Professor," sighed Noah as he turned around. "I remind you once again that I am not a 'patron of science.'"
The Professor calmly yet self-assuredly strode forward, stopping exactly two meters away from Noah, standing two degrees to the left of precisely in front of the magnate. (Thanks to the sensors he had invented over the years, the Professor knew more trivial details about Noah than the latter realized -- including which of his eyes had marginally better vision.) "Nonsense! You employ two researchers while your station requires none. Your denials do not match reality, and can safely be ignored!" He dramatically pointed straight at Noah's chest. "Sir, you are a patron of Science!"-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk

LEGEND OF GALACTIC GIRLS
By Rob Kelk
created by Sean M. Breen

Chapter Two: Senshi's Moving Castle

29 May 2013
15:32 GMT
Kandor City Spaceport

"Thank you for coming, Mr. Blackstone, but your assistant has already taken care of the problem."
The Blue Blazer Irregulars looked at each other in puzzlement, then looked at their guests.
"As long as I've known Peggy, she's always tended to fly off the handle," commented Lisa. "She probably went in on her own." Under her breath, she muttered, "I really know how Sylia feels now. No more solo actions, Peggy. Please."
They walked over to the Jet Car, where they heard from the open door, "Know your enemy and know yourself. I know that one, Buckaroo."
Dee and Lisa stormed over and leaned into the car. "Peggy ..." they growled in unison.
She looked up, and blushed slightly. Then she turned back to Buckaroo. "Oh, yeah -- I also forgot to tell my friends I was leaving."
Lisa glared at her. "We'll discuss that later. In private."
Blackstone walked up, stopping just behind Lisa and Dee. "And you took our car without asking."
"I asked da- I asked Buckaroo!"
"Fine. Whatever. Right now, I just want the car back."
Dee grabbed Peggy and pulled her out of the car. "You know we have to stay together! Remember what Mr. Scott told us about this world?"
"Dee ..." started Lisa.
"I already know," interrupted Buckaroo. "And I'll discuss it with Blackstone and Mr. Scott later. Right now, I'm picking up a distress call from Port Luna -- a ship's coming in out of control and we're the only ones with the right equipment close enough to help."
"Duty calls," said Blackstone as he got into the Jet Car. "We're too busy to play tourist, sorry. You can find your own way home, right?" And he sealed the car and took off for the spaceport lock, just as Noah approached.
"We're leaving."
"But we just got here," complained Dee with a bit of a whine in her voice. "Like, I want to go shopping."
"I never did like 'valley girls,' Ms. vel'deVarn," replied Noah, "so please drop the act. We don't have time to go shopping. We don't even have time to visit the local movie studio where they fake Moon landings, and almost everybody visits them. We have to leave now."
"Why?" asked Lisa.
"I just heard from Yoriko, back on Stellvia -- the Professor is on the way here to see me."
"Is that a bad thing?"
"Only if you and the other mages in your group want to avoid spending the rest of your life as guinea pigs in his experiments, Ms. Vanette."
"We'd better get going, then."

15:38 GMT
The Epsilon Blade

"I feel like I'm a sardine!"
"You have that much room, Luna? Hey, be careful, Rin-Rin -- I can't control the electricity in my hands."
"Yes, Ms. Swansen, I know."
"You can't?" asked Makoto. "Maybe I can help you there."
Someone bumped Rin-Rin, and she reflexively switch from English to Japanese. ""
"" Rin-Rin dodged just before having her foot stepped on. ""
""
Noah closed the door on the cacophony behind the bridge. "I'm glad they're only visiting. I hope they're only visiting. Do we have clearance to launch, Yayoi?"
"Yes, Noah. Where are we heading?"
"The Professor's approaching from out-system, so we're going to have to head in-system. Set course for Crystal Tokyo. No, make that Crystal Paris -- that might give us a few extra minutes."
"Why?" asked the only visitor on the bridge.
"The Professor dislikes anything that reminds him of France, Ms. Ayanami. I understand he had some bad experiences there."
"Oh. Ms. Fujisawa, does my presence trouble you?"
"Why should it?"
"I am not completely human."
"Neither am I. Both Noah and Mr. Sangnoir taught me that what's inside a person is what matters, not her species or appearance, and everything I've learned since then has proven them right."
"I see." Rei almost smiled.
"Besides, I'm flattered that somebody wants to learn my piloting style. Here, stand beside me so you can get a better view of the touchscreen controls."
She did so. After a moment, she commented, "This is somewhat different from piloting an EVA unit."
Yayoi smiled. "I wouldn't know anything about that ..."
Meanwhile, in the engine room, Skuld was not learning about the Epsilon Blade's technology base.
"Please, m'lady Skuld, tell me about the person I was based on! You actually know her, right?"
"That's weird, the way you asked that in unison. But I guess I won't get to examine these engines unless I tell you what you want to know. Who's first?" Sora and Kohran looked at each other for a long moment. "Well?"
"Tell her first."
"Stop talking in unison! You're freaking me out!"
"Sorry ..." They stopped, and Kohran continued in Japanese. ""

19:21
Stellvia main operations room

"Ma'am, the Kobayashi Maru is hailing us. Their captain wants to know what's going on."
Yoriko turned to the duty officer. "Thank you, Mr. Hansen. Open a tight-beam channel, please."
"Yes, ma'am. Opening a channel to the Kobayashi Maru."
"... know you're in there, Stellvia -- we're picking up your normal power signatures."
"We read you, Kobayashi Maru."
"Finally. Hello, Yoriko. Where's Noah?"
"He's off-station right now, Katz."
"In the middle of an apparent crisis? What is wrong over there, anyway?"
"Just a temporary power glitch. You're clear to land in the drydock, Kobayashi Maru."
"Acknowledged, Stellvia. Yoriko, do you have time to talk once I'm aboard?"
She sighed. "I'll make the time. I'll see you -- just you -- in Stellvia's briefing room in a half-hour, okay?"
After a second, Katz replied, "Okay. Kobayashi Maru out."
As she shut off her radio, Yoriko muttered, "There's no way I can keep this secret forever. Noah, why'd you have to leave me alone with this kind of job to do?" She raised her voice and turned to the duty officer. "Mr. Hansen, once the Kobayashi Maru is docked, please resume normal station functions. If anyone asks what happened, tell them just what I told Mr. Schrdinger -- it was a 'temporary power glitch'. If anyone wants more details, refer them to me but tell them I'm very busy right now ..."

20:44 GMT
The Uncertainty

I can't believe Noah thinks he can keep this secret. He's going to need somebody to tell him he's being an idiot -- like it or not, I'm the only person for the job.
Trigon interrupted Katz' thoughts. "The ship is ready. I'm ready. Stop dithering, wretch."
Katz sighed. "Fine. Let's go."
"And just where are we going to 'go'?"
"Venus. If we're lucky, we'll get there before the Sol Bianca does."
"Why didn't you say we were following someone important to begin with?"
Oh, dear. Trigon's happy now ...

21:05 GMT
The Epsilon Blade

Noah picked up his microphone and switched on the ship's intercom. "Ladies ... and Sylvath ... if you'll look out the port-side windows, you'll see Crystal Paris." The cheers from the passenger lounge could be heard even through the bulkhead soundproofing.
Meanwhile, Yayoi was trying to get landing clearance for the ship. "Crystal Paris, I did not copy. Please repeat the reason you do not want us landing."
"With all due respect," replied the voice over the communicator, "we remember what happened the last time you were here, Epsilon Blade. We don't want to take a chance that it'll happen again."
Noah waved his hand at Yayoi, then switched his microphone from the intercom to the communicator. "Crystal Paris ATC, this is Noah Scott, commanding the Epsilon Blade. Please state the exact reason we're being denied landing clearance."
There was a short pause, then a different voice came over the circuit. "Epsilon Blade, this is Yvette de Lune, Crystal Paris ATC Manager. What seems to be the problem?"
"That's what we want to know, Mme. de Lune. My pilot has been attempting to gain landing clearance for the last three minutes, and the only reason I've heard so far why we aren't getting it is because you don't want a repeat of what happened the last time we were here. This is our first visit to Crystal Paris. What are you talking about, please?"
"Stand by, please, M. Scott." There was a longer pause, then the line came back to life. "Epsilon Blade, I apologize for the delay. My staff tell me they don't want you doing to Crystal Paris what you did to Crystal Osaka."
"All we did there was save over a dozen people's lives, madame. You have nothing to worry about from us unless you're hiding some Boskonians. You aren't hiding a slaver ring or a drug lab, are you?"
"I certainly hope not, M. Scott!" She cleared her throat and continued in a more neutral tone. "Epsilon Blade, you have permission to land. You are clear to dock 23."
Yayoi tapped on the ship's navigation controls. "Roger, Crystal Paris. Epsilon Blade now on landing approach to 23." She muted the communicator. "What was that all about?"
"Superstitious paranoia, I think," replied Noah. "I hope," he added under his breath.

21:48 GMT
Crystal Paris

"I'm sorry, sir, but I couldn't keep them from landing. Madame de Lune interfered."
"That's all right. From what you tell me, Senora de Lune would never approve of this thing of ours, so it's best she never learns of it. And we don't need to worry if it's only one of the Great Justice troubleshooters, do we?"

21:49 GMT
The Epsilon Blade

"Noah, don't open that yet!"
"Why not?" asked Noah as his hand hovered over the bridge door's control.
"Sora just let me know that some of our guests are getting changed," replied Yayoi.
The soundproofing wasn't quite good enough to muffle the shouts from two of those guests:
"Sailor Power, MAKE-UP!"
"Jupiter Star Power, MAKE-UP!"
Noah backed away from the door. "I gather someone told them that sailor outfits wouldn't be out of place in Crystal Paris. Do you want to go back and get changed too, Yayoi? I can look out the front window and study this wonderful view of the landing bay's rear wall while you have the door opened."
"Thank you, sir. I did leave my Sailor Armed Militia uniform in the weapon locker." As Noah didn't watch, Yayoi and Rei headed amidships.
The door closed, and Noah heard, "So this is the bridge."
"Yes, this is the bridge, Ms. Skuld," replied Noah as he turned to his visitor. "Oh, my apologies, Ms. Vanette. You and Ms. Skuld sound remarkably alike."
"So we've been told by people who've just met us," replied the reporter-turned-Senshi. "I wanted to ask why you gave me this."
"The credit card? I already told you -- it's your ID."
"It's a gold card. Nobody else has a gold card."
Noah smiled. "I have a Stellvia Gold card, and so does Yayoi. Yours is the third ever issued. And before you ask, yes, it's a no-limit card drawing on my private bank account, just like mine and Yayoi's. That should tell you how much I trust you."
"Oh ... Are there any good clothing boutiques here?" she asked with an impish grin.
"You'd have to ask Yayoi. And when I said I trust you, I meant it. If you think you need local clothes, feel free to buy some. Although the blue number you're wearing looks good on you, and it does blend in around here."
The grin left Lisa's face. "I'll try to be worthy of that trust, Mr. Scott."
"I'm sure I have nothing to worry about on that score, Ms. Vanette. Now, before I ask Yayoi to ask her friends here to find us some rooms on short notice, are there any special requirements I need to know about? Besides Sylvath's needs, which won't be easy to accomodate here."
Lisa thought for a moment. "Sana needs room to move, and Rei's a vegetarian."
"There won't be any trouble accomodating Rei; in fact, I hope the rest of you don't mind a low-meat diet. Sana, though ... I'll see what we can do."
"Thank you."
After a moment, Noah cleared his throat. "If you don't mind my asking ..."
"What?"
"Well ... I'm curious. Why are you ladies chasing after Doug?"
"I can't speak for the others, but I'm on this trip because I'm the only person who can recognize Doug's homeworld other than Doug and his friends."
"That's a reason why Ms. vel'deVarn would want you on the trip. I'm more curious why you'd agree to go. But if I'm prying, please say so."
"You're prying, Mr. Scott."
"Then I'll drop it. Sorry about that."
After another pause, Lisa asked, "So, why are you in space?"
"For the freedom."
"How so?"
"I'll give you a couple of examples. When I was Sana's age, it was possible to walk into an airport and buy a ticket for the next flight to where you wanted to go, just by putting cash on the counter. At least, it was in my home country. Everybody knew that there was a chance that any given flight might be hijacked, but everybody also knew that the odds of it happening to a particular flight were low. When I gave up my citizenship, that same country required its citizens to show government-issued identification before being allowed to board an aircraft, and if your name is on a list, you aren't allowed on the plane even then."
"Do criminals in this universe use their real names when they break the law?"
Noah shook his head. "Not usually."
"So what good is a list of names of people who aren't allowed to fly?"
"Damned if I know, Ms. Vanette. I think the governments on Earth want to monitor everybody's movements on the off-chance that somebody might do something they don't like." Noah sighed. "Other countries are going the same way. Then there's the laws against using handwavium; they make it nearly impossible to create artificial intelligences on Earth any more. Out here, we still have the freedom to live without Big Brother looking over our shoulders."
"So there's no government in space?"
"I didn't say that. We're just a lot more reasonable about running things out here. But you should take this with a grain of salt; I'm not unbiased about the whole mess."
The door opened to admit Yayoi, now wearing a high-visibility-orange seifuku. While it had the same shoulder patches as the jacket she'd been wearing, each was on the opposite shoulder to where it was on the jacket. "Noah, we're ready to go."
"Good. Yayoi, can you get us some rooms for the night? Use my name if you think it'll help ..."

22:21 GMT
Crystal Paris

""
Naoko Sato, the head of Crystal Paris' Armed Militia division, grinned. " Yayoi-san.>" They both laughed. "
--
Rob Kelk

A little early, but here's the first teaser for chapter 3:

"No, we're going to have to get in there and deal with them personally." Noah moved his hand to his belt, then remembered he wasn't currently armed. "Sora, give me one of those MP5Ks and all the ammo they didn't use against us, then head back to the 'Blade where you'll be safe."

"Nice boat."
"Thanks, Mr. Schroeck," replied Captain Corcoran.

-Rob Kelk
"I heard there was a trial run of soylent blue, but they had to cease production when the George Carlin ran out..."
Mark Jones, 13 Jan 2008
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
The visitors thought about what they'd been told. Finally, Peggy said, "Let me see if I've got this straight. They're trying to terraform this planet. In order to do that, they're going to need all the carbon they can get. But they're shipping what little carbon they do have away from the planet, mostly in the form of polluting hydrocarbons which make it more difficult to live on Earth when they're used -- that causes problems on two planets. And they're doing almost nothing to reduce the atmosphere's temperature, which is the first thing they need to do. Just how insane are the people running this project?"
Sorry for not noticing it earlier, but this is in error on two (no, three) points - first, it's not carbon that Venus is short of, given that its atmosphere is mostly CO2, but hydrogen. And second, later on in that thread the plan was revised such that Venus was exporting batteries/electrical power rather than raw fuel. Third, by processing the Venusian atmosphere into water and diamond, they're reducing its density, albeit slowly, and thereby reining in the greenhouse effect.

===============================================
"Nyan-nyan nyan-nyan nihaou nyan!"
===========

"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
And second, later on in that thread the plan was revised such that Venus was exporting batteries/electrical power rather than raw fuel.
We did? I'd have sworn that whole argument got tabled with the hydrocarbon export issue still active. Huh.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I know that argument got tabled with the hydrocarbon export issue still active - I went through every single thread in the Fenspace board before starting LoGG, just to make sure I didn't contradict anyone.
And they're going to need the carbon when they start up a carbon-cycle biosystem...-Rob Kelk
"I heard there was a trial run of soylent blue, but they had to cease production when the George Carlin ran out..."
Mark Jones, 13 Jan 2008
--
Rob Kelk

And, likewise, I know that, after considerable argument, I posted something right before the thread died suggesting that the real thing being exported in the planned hydrocarbon shipping business was energy, and that building a benzene plant on earth and shipping it energy via handwavium batteries would work just as well.
And... need carbon? Venus is drowning in carbon! The sun would go out before oil exports made even one atmosphere's worth of dent in it!

"Nyan-nyan nyan-nyan nihaou nyan!"
===========

"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Okay, okay. Let's not ruffle our feathers any more than necessary.
V: The VTP is more your baby than anybody else's, so if you want to crank out the economics of the thing, go for it. I missed the original suggestion when the thread died, which would explain why it got lost in the shuffle.
Rob: Hydrocarbon debate aside, the carbon thing *is* a legit slipup. Carbon is what Venus has, aside from heat and short skirts. There's a *reason* everything on Venus is manufactured from diamond, after all.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Fair enough.
Considering that the gaffe is in dialogue, I'm going to leave it as it is. Even the best of minds can be wrong on occasion, and Peggy, while good, isn't the best. (And Noah's only fair-to-middling in this area of expertise.) If somebody comes along later and points out the error in-character, that's fine by me...
-Rob Kelk
Mark Jones, 13 Jan 2008
--
Rob Kelk

I think I'm far enough along to post a teaser for Chapter 3:

"No, Ms. vel'deVarn. You are not taking part in this."

Dee glared at Noah. "Give me one good reason why not."

"Because Ms. Vanette and Ms. Ravenhair are taking part."

"I said a good reason."

"That is a good reason. If all three of you die, who's left to open a portal?"

She didn't have an answer for that.

--
Rob Kelk

(better late than neverSmile Certainly no one will trust Luna Lovegood to do it...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Teaser #2 for Chapter 3
The muse has slapped me upside the head and given me a few more ideas... Here's Teaser #2 for Chapter 3.

Rei stepped forward so that she was directly behind Yayoi. "" she whispered in Japanese.

""

""

--
Rob Kelk

RE-WRITE of Prologue
(I'm posting this in a new post here so that people can compare the differences. I'll be replacing the original version on the FenWiki and sending Bob a relacement version for his website. Enjoy!)

LEGEND OF GALACTIC GIRLS

By Rob Kelk

created by Sean M. Breen

Prologue: Sangnoir of the Universe

16 June 2008
Unnamed private station, Habitat Module 1

"The pressure test on Tank 3 looks good, Mr. Scott."

"Yoriko, how many times have I told you to call me 'Noah'?"

The woman looked at her feet. "But you're my boss ... and my creator. And we're working."

"So? There's only the six of us up here; there's no need to stand on formality. Besides, I'd much rather be your friend than your owner, okay? And that goes for the rest of you, too."

"Is that an order, sir?" asked the youngest-looking person in the habitat module.

Noah sighed. "No, Sora, that's a request." He turned to one of the others. "Kohran, please bring the pressure in Habitat Tank 3 – no, it's Module 3, now – bring the pressure down to one standard atmosphere. We'll use some of the building supplies we left in the tank to install some wiring and plumbing, and build some internal walls in it. I know I'm looking forward to having a private apartment again."

"Yes, sir," replied the girl as she reached toward a control bank. Then she stopped. "Mr. Scott ..."

"What did I just say, Kohran?"

"Mr. Scott, there's something wrong. The pressure in Module 3 is already down to one atmosphere. And the microphones we put in it for the hull stress test are picking up ... a working turbine engine."

"That's impossible."

Everyone else looked at Noah. "Just like artificial gravity and artificial intelligence are impossible, sir?" asked the other android in the habitat.

"Good point, Yayoi. Yoriko, please come with me; let's go see what the miracle goop's done this time. The rest of you, stay here and listen in over the microphones, please."

11:24 GMT
Airlock between Habitat Modules 2 and 3

"What is that?"

"It's a motorcycle, Yoriko. A pretty advanced one, by the looks of it." Noah shook his head in amazement. "But who brought it here, and how could it still be running after this long?"

"Sir?"

"The engine. It should have used up most of the oxygen in there by now ... Oh, shit. There's somebody on the bike."

Yoriko pushed Noah back into Module 2, then closed the airlock door in front of him and opened the door to Module 3.

Noah rubbed the brand-new sore spot on his chest as he watched Yoriko rush at inhuman speed to the first aid kit, then to the motorcycle. Then he said, apparently to the thin air, "Well, at least she's got the basic sense of humanity I hoped we'd programmed into all of the girls."

"Were you seriously expecting something else?" a voice asked from the intercom.

"No, Eimi, but it's good to see proof that the personality trait's there."

Location Unknown. Date Unknown. Time Unknown.

I woke up to discover myself not home. Again.

I was on a makeshift cot, inside what looked like an antiseptic-yet-makeshift warehouse. My helmet was sitting on the floor beside me within easy reach, beside a small oxygen cylinder with a breather mask attached. Two people – a tall middle-aged caucasian man with "swivel-chair spread" and a petite young asian woman with long hair, both wearing polo shirts, jeans, deck shoes, and what looked like perscription glasses – were examining my motorcycle (without touching it, so they seemed to be polite) while talking quietly with each other. I cleared my throat to let them know I was awake.

The man stepped forward. "Hello, stranger," he said (in English, with the stereotypical educated middle-class American accent). "I'm glad you're awake; you almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning. I hope you don't mind that Yoriko shut down your bike."

"No, that's all right. Good thing you found me in time," I smiled.

"Indeed. I'm called Noah Scott, and I'm your host. If you don't mind me asking, who are you and how did you get aboard this piece of what's becoming my space station?"

Space station? That explained why the exhaust from my bike's engine almost killed me; the life-support systems were probably overtaxed by the fumes. I stood and bowed to Yoriko, then offered to shake Mr. Scott's hand. "Douglas Sangnoir, at your service. But please call me Doug." The two of them exchanged a Meaningful Glance. "Don't tell me you've heard of me?"

"We've heard of you," replied Yoriko. She had a hint of the standard Japanese-newscaster accent, but it was almost lost in, I kid you not, an American Southern accent thick enough to cut with a knife. (Not a Deep South accent, though – it seemed to be from the Carolinas.)

"I asked you not to tell me that." They both smiled at that, then exchanged another Meaningful Glance.

"Actually," added Mr. Scott as he shook my hand, "we've heard of someone with your name and taste in humor. We assume he's you."

"Really? Have I been here before?" Then I realized what he was talking about. "Or is this connected to that 'transfictionality' effect that Legion told me about?"

They both sighed with relief. "That's exactly what we're talking about, Colonel, and we're glad you've already heard of it. That'll make it easier for us to talk near you."

"Oh?" Then I realized what Yoriko had called me. "And how did you know my rank?"

"I don't know whether you or Legion has considered the implications of transfictionality, but when one of our universe's authors combined the concept with quantum mechanics' lack of a privileged frame of reference, he realized that everyone is fictional in some other reality somewhere." She stopped talking when Mr. Scott put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'd let Yoriko continue, but we don't have all week." She blushed as he went on. "Sometimes I think about that and wonder whether anyone reads stories about me. But that's not important right now. What is important is that your arrival here proves that theory valid, because we've read stories about you."

Oh, wonderful – not again. "Are you telling me I have no secrets here, Mr. Scott?"

"Please, call me Noah – I keep telling everyone there's no need to stand on formality here. The stories you're in aren't that well-known, and we don't know most of your personal details ... but a few of us are well aware of who Looney Toons of the International Strike Teams is."

Oh, boy ... but wait a minute. "Of the what? My team back home is called the Warriors."

Noah looked relieved, and I can guess why. "Ah, right; my mistake."

13:07 GMT
Habitat Module 1

"Here's Eimi's laptop, Mr. Scott. What do you want transferred to
it?"

"Sora, my name is Noah. And ... did you say Eimi's laptop?"

"Yep!" Eimi replied from the computer's speakers. "You haven't been paying much attention to me now that the girls are awake, Noah. I want to see more of the world. Or of the worlds, if Doug'll take me on as a Girl Friday."

Noah sighed. "I'm sorry, Eimi. I'm doing to you want I did to Natsuko and Agatha, even after I told myself not to. You deserve better. Of course you can make your own way in life. Are you sure you want to leave this universe altogether, though?"

"Nobody else has; I'll be the first!" She continued more seriously. "Besides, you've read the stories that Doug's in. You know he needs somebody he can confide in if he's going to stay sane for his entire trip home."

"You have thought this out. You're a Smart Girl, Eimi."

"Almost as smart as my boss, Boss."

They both chuckled, and Sora smiled. Noah went on. "I'll miss you, Eimi... but you're right. Doug does need somebody to talk with that already knows who he is, if he's going to stay sane. Okay. Sora, copy the 'Drunkard's Walk' files in the server's fanfiction directory, up to where the Loon learns about transfictionality, to a temporary directory on the server, strip out anything he didn't learn firsthand, then compress those edited files and copy them to Eimi. And whatever you do, don't copy any of the sequel series. Eimi, can you forget that you've read the full series?"

"No more than you can, Noah."

"Why are you worried about that, Mr. Scott?"

"Sora... Oh, never mind. It's the same problem as time-travellers would have if they were real; if you know something will happen to you because it did happen to you, but you make sure it doesn't happen, then you've created a paradox. A time-traveller might wreck his own universe with a paradox."

"But Doug's travelling between universes, so any paradox he creates might wreck more than one reality," Eimi finished. "Okay, I won't tell him anything he doesn't learn on his own."

"That'll do. Thanks." Noah turned back to Sora. "Once you've given Eimi the censored version of Doug's adventures, copy over all of the music in my personal playlist except for the soundtracks to stories from the places he's visited, then go on to the World Factbook and the most recent version of the Britannica."

"And copy over the In Nomine rules, too!"

Noah turned to Eimi. "Sure, but I don't think Doug's a roleplayer."

"He'll learn. Even if I have to run a game for him."

Unnamed private station Habitat Module 1. Tuesday, June 17, 2008. 7:43 AM Local Time.

"I hope you don't mind the low-quality breakfast, Doug. I'm expecting Hermes Universal Deliveries to show up with the week's groceries later this morning; right now, this is all I've got."

"I've had to survive on worse, Noah," I replied, just before taking another bite of the granola bar he'd given me. "Besides, considering how I'm feeling after what you told me yesterday, I doubt I'd enjoy anything fancier."

"Sorry about that. I thought you'd rather we throw you into the deep end, instead of easing you into the surprises you're going to get here."

"You proved you know who and what I am when we met. Giving me censored copies of stories about what I've been doing recently surprised me even more."

"Oh, you caught that?"

"Yeah. But what could be more surprising than you knowing who I am?"

"Meet my crew." Noah grinned and raised his voice. "Come in, ladies!"

The door opened and four young asian women stepped into the compartment. One was Yoriko, who I recognized from the day before. Two of the others were unfamiliar to me.

The last was a dead ringer for a woman I'd left on the other side of a portal I'd used years ago. "Hasegawa-san?"

"Well, I didn't expect him to faint." Noah stood up. "Help me get him onto the couch, please."

7:47 AM.

I opened my eyes to see Yoriko standing beside me, holding a small gadget. I suspected it was an audio playback device of some sort from the way the strains of The Beatles' Good Morning Good Morning came from it.

When she saw that I was awake, she turned away and said, "I was right, Mr. Scott. It does work on him, too."

"It shouldn't have," I said as I sat up. "My talent doesn't work when I'm unconscious. I assume I passed out from the shock?"

She nodded. "That and some lingering aftereffects from the carbon monoxide poisoning. I think."

I checked the clock on the wall. "I have a good constitution and it has been a few minutes. I think maybe I came to on my own. Would you mind turning that off, please? My talent's going nuts trying to find somebody to wake up."

"Oh, sorry, Mr. Sangnoir." Yoriko shut off the playback.

"Thank you. And my name's Doug. Now, would somebody please explain to me how Ms. Hasegawa got here?"

The person in question cleared her throat. "Well ... actually, I'm not the Sora Hasegawa that you met. I just look, sound, act, and think like her. I think."

Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said, "Huh?"

Noah passed me a mug of orange juice. "There's seven people on this station right now, but only the two of us are humans. The four lovely ladies are androids."

"Ah, I see."

"You don't seem surprised at the fact that we're AIs," said one of the girls I didn't recognize.

"Should I be?"

"From what Mr. Scott tells us, we may be the only androids in existance."

The other girl I didn't recognize added, "But there are rumours about some others ..."

"Built by that 'Professor' person? But he doesn't exist, Yayoi ... Does he, sir?"

Noah looked her and answered, "How should I know? But there was quite a bit about him in the papers earlier this year, Kohran, so I'm guessing he's real. But androids don't seem like his style."

"Then we're alone in the universe, aren't we?" whispered Sora.

I smiled and walked over to her. "Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before someone else builds another AI. They just have to use the same designs that whoever built you used." Nobody answered me. "What did I get wrong?"

After a moment, Noah cleared his throat. "Even if A.C. Peters – the person who helped me with the hardware side of the ladies – even if A.C. and I released the plans, they might not be reproducable. There's a certain something that we don't yet understand that's part of their makeup ..."

They went on for an hour, answering most of my questions as best they could.

In this universe, men first walked on the Moon in 1969. After a half-dozen Lunar missions, nobody went farther than Earth orbit for three and a half decades, and each trip into space was a major engineering effort. But last year, something they called "handwavium" appeared, which seems to handwave away some of the laws of physics. Mr. Scott got the idea to build his station because, fourteen months ago, someone had used handwavium to sail a pocket cabin cruiser into space. Noah was able to move into space four months ago, and his companions had been self-aware for almost four weeks, solely because of the handwavium. (I got them to promise to give me a sample.)

But this stuff didn't work the same way for different people. Two identical twins who applied the same amount of handwavium on the same make and model of panel truck in the same way got two wildly different results; one of the trucks was quite happily purring along (literally) on Earth, getting 100 miles to the gallon and never becoming dirty; the other was flying twice-weekly delivery runs between Seattle and Utopia Planitia on Mars, but couldn't be budged unless Star Trek soundtrack music was playing on its built-in CD player.

Yes, I'm sure of this. Noah showed me some of the experiment footage.

Cutting to the chase, nobody could build the same kind of AIs that Noah had, because they weren't him. And he couldn't get male androids, or females who didn't wear glasses, to wake up. When I asked whether he was sure about that, he glanced quickly at the girls and shook his head quickly. "Moving on, we have to figure out how to get you on your way."

I took the hint. "Are you tired of my company so soon?"

"Hardly," he smiled. "It's nice to be able to speak with someone who's willing to treat me as an equal ..." If he was waiting for a response from the others, he didn't get it. "... but I can't expect you to settle down here for the rest of your life. As I understand it, you have to find some song that'll open a gateway to your next stop. We have to figure out how to get your bike's engine to run without fouling the air in the station or overheating, so you can go through that gateway safely."

"Good point." And that seemed like as good an opening as any to ask about accounts. "How much will I owe you for your help? And the food and lodging, for that matter?"

"I've got more money that I can conveniently use right now, Doug. But I won't turn down your help with the construction work ... and I'm hoping you'll do another friend of mine - the seventh person on the station - a big favour."

"How big?"

The laptop that I had been using to read about myself spoke. "Take me with you, please, Colonel Sangnoir!"

Noah nodded. "If you hadn't already met Eimi, you just did. She's the software prototype for the four androids who are keeping us company. Eimi's eager to see more of the world, or the worlds, and I can't think of a better person than you to serve as her tour guide."

"As nice a group of hosts as you are, I wasn't planning on coming back once I got home."

"That's fine," Eimi answered. "Noah and I are even as far as wages and property go, so I can stay in your world once you're home. I hear there's other AIs there - I should be able to blend in there almost as well as I can here."

I thought for a moment. "I don't like the idea of owning somebody."

"Good," Noah answered firmly. "Neither do I."

"I'm going to have to think about this."

Tuesday, June 24, 2008. 12:01 PM.

We had gotten into a routine over the last week – we'd wake up between 6:00 and 7:00 AM, do the usual morning routines, have breakfast, argue for a couple of hours about how to contain my bike's exhaust without tethering the bike to the station and fail to come up with any practical ideas, do some work on the station's interior, have lunch and catch up with the day's news at noon, do more work on the station, have supper, discuss and dismiss for an hour or so possible songs to send me on my way, relax for a few hours, and turn in for the night.

But today was slightly different.

Yoriko was reading news services on the Tapestry (which they called the Internet here) while eating lunch, so she was the one who noticed the message from Japan. "Mr. Scott!"

"Yoriko, my name is Noah ..." he said wearily.

"This looks important, sir. It's from Xebec's lawyers."

He moved from sitting across from me to looking over her shoulder so fast, I wondered for a moment whether he'd teleported there. "Oh, please be what I hope it is ... Yes! We got their permission! Yayoi, go get the champagne!"

"Permission?" I asked.

"I think you're familiar with the concept of compensating the original creators for their work if you use it, Doug," he answered as he put on a leather jacket. "This message confirms that I just got the last bit of legal permission I needed to use something I'm already using. I've had the okay from the original creator for a while now, but this is from the animation studio that turned the story into the television series where I got the idea from in the first place."

Yayoi came back with two bottles of Bollinger – one Vieille Vignes Françaises (which proved my host really did have more money that he could conveniently use right now) and one Special Cuvée. She handed the latter to Noah. "Does this mean I can start using a family name now, sir?"

"It certainly does, Ms. Fujisawa," he replied with a grin. "Now, everybody please get back – I don't want you getting hit by flying glass." We all ducked behind the couch. "I've had a speech prepared for this day for weeks, but in all the excitement I can't remember how it goes, so I'll just cut to the chase." He lifted the bottle and brought his arm back.

"I christen this station ... Stellvia!" And he smashed the Special Cuvée bottle against the bulkhead.

27 June 2008
22:17 GMT

"What did you want to show me, Kohran?"

"Well, Mr. Scott ..." She noticed his expression before he could say anything. "Noah, this was an experiment of mine that I had going when Mr. Sangnoir ... Doug showed up."

"Do I want to know what you were trying to do?"

"Probably not. But take a look at this, this, and this." She pointed to a few lines of data on the computer screen beside the workbench. "They don't match anything I expected to see, and I can't replicate the effects."

"And this means ... what?"

"First I thought that something about Doug caused the anomalies, but if that was the case, he should have made the experiment fail that way again. It hasn't."

"Again, this means what?"

"Sorry. I think it means this is interference from the worldgate he used to get here. If that's the case, I can use this to make a gateway detector."

"I see. What do you need to do to be sure?"

Kohran thought for a moment. "I need to set up the experiment again, and have it running when Doug leaves."

"Okay. Do it. Doug's trustworthy, and the stories indicate that the 'Legion' person he met is on the side of the angels, but who knows what other kind of people might be bouncing around the universes?"

Stellvia Habitat Module 3. Sunday, June 29, 2008. 5:36 PM.

We'd finally come up with a way to capture my bike's exhaust fumes that wouldn't interfere with the bike going through the portal. In essence, it was a pressure tank hooked up to the tailpipe with a slow-flow regulator so it didn't suck all the gases in the engine out at once, plus some water-cooling gear around the turbine, all mounted on a small antigravity sled. The physics seemed odd to me, but Eimi said it'd work.

The handwavium was good at creating artificial gravity, but didn't do too well for antigravity unless it was hooked up to a spaceship of some sort.

And I'd seen all sorts pass by over the week that I'd been here. For example, someone with more bravery than sense had welded a few semi trailers together, took at least a dozen more in tow, painted the name Fateful Lightning on the side, put a semi tractor on the front, and launched the entire deathtrap into space three days before the Stellvia christening ceremony. That was a sight to see as it went past us ... but you'd never get me to ride in it. When I pointed it out to the others, Noah said it was probably somebody who wanted a lot of living space but couldn't afford anything better. It seems that there's a lot of people like that out here.

Anyway.

Getting back to the antigrav sled ... We had to do it the hard way. Luckily, Sora and Kohran were quick students – it only took a few days for me to share enough of what I'd learned back home and from Skuld before they knew enough of the theory to build a knock-off of the Anson GravMaster.

In the meantime, they shared some of their own music with me. A few of the songs tickled my magegift, but I didn't want to test them aboard Stellvia – explosive decompression would have ruined everybody's day. They made sure I had copies of all the songs they played for me.

While Sora and Kohran were building the trailer, Eimi was balancing the station's accounts, and the others were unloading a shipment of supplies, I found myself at loose ends for a few moments. (Yoriko wouldn't let me help with the unloading because I was a guest.) The least I could do for my hosts in exchange for the songs they'd given me was to clear up one of their mysteries. I grabbed my helmet in one hand, used the other to pick up a handy lump of gelled handwavium, and concentrated on it. "System, load song 'Who Made Who'. Play song."

When I regained consciousness, I was flat on my back on that makeshift cot. "Are you all right?" asked Yoriko.

"I think so..." I sat up, then layed down again. "Except for a horrid ringing sensation in my head when I move."

The door opened and closed again, and I heard Noah's voice. "How's Doug doing?"

"I'm awake, but my head hurts. What happened?"

"Damned if I know. I've never seen handwavium do that before. I hope I never see it happen again." He was shaking his head when he stepped into my field of view. "The goop... imploded, I think. At least, we can't find any of the lump you were holding when you collapsed. But I have to ask: What were you doing with it?"

"I thought I was doing you a favor. I have a song in my collection that tells me who or what created what I'm concentrating on."

"And you tried using it on the handwavium, didn't you?" He whistled. "That's the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question in this universe ... What did you find out?"

I frowned. "Nothing."

28 June 2008
22:04 GMT

"If he keeps using his song ability, he's likely to cause a serious accident, sir. He won't mean to do it, but there's a chance he could depressurize the entire station."

Noah nodded in agreement. "He isn't even in danger, Sora. He's got a song that lets him survive space and re-entry, and fly all the way to Earth's surface before it ends. The four of you can survive hard vacuum, although you'd need to get your skin replaced if you tried. And Eimi couldn't care less. I'm the one who's in danger."

"But ... that's not fair."

"I know. Life isn't fair, Sora. I'll start wearing my skinsuit under my clothes, okay?"

"Well ..." Sora picked up a box. "I've been trying to make a spacesuit out of normal clothing and miracle goop, and I think maybe I've succeeded. He won't know you're wearing a pressure suit if you wear these clothes."

Noah smiled. "Before Doug showed up, you didn't care what other people thought of your actions. Now you do."

"Is that bad?"

"On the contrary, you're developing your own personality. And so are the others, come to think of it. That's just what I had hoped for. Oh, yes – as long as we're alone ..."

"Sir?" Sora looked a bit apprehensive.

"I don't want Doug to hear this, but I have to say it." She sighed in relief as Noah went on. "That hardtech gravity control he's been teaching you and Kohran is absolutely top secret, understand? If that was to get out, it would change society even more than the miracle goop did."

"I understand, sir. But what if someone figures out we're keeping a secret?"

Noah thought for a moment. "Then you hold out as long as possible, then tell them about the kaboomite project. I'd rather that secret get out than this one. But I'd prefer that you keep them both secret if at all possible. I'll tell the others about this later." He started to leave the workshop, then turned back. "Sora, I would never force you to do anything you don't want to do. Anything. That's a promise."

Stellvia Habitat Module 1. Friday, July 4, 2008. 7:43 PM Local Time.

We've already got our Independence Day fireworks ... in a way.

The seven of us were too busy to take the day off for the holiday. Actually, we were too close to actually finishing the work in the Space Shuttle fuel tank that had become Habitat Module 3, and we all wanted to finish it off this week and relax over the weekend.

Eimi had played patriotic music on her speakers while we worked, though. (Instrumentals only, bless her.) She was kind enough to shut that off when I picked up my helmet to make this journal entry, but that just caught everyone else's attention.

"Um ... Why do you record those diary messages, Doug?" Sora was more talkative than she had been when I arrived, but that wasn't saying much.

"It's standard operating procedure, Sora. I make a daily report on my solo activities so the Warriors know what I've done. Hexe sometimes says it's so they know what they have to clean up after me, but it's really for training the newcomers to the Warriors. My wife's the only person who reads all of my reports." I thought of Maggie for a moment, and smiled. "When I'm away, I write home every day."

"And the next line," added Noah, returning my smile.

"Yes, and the next line."

The ladies exchanged puzzled looks. Noah noticed and said, "I'll play the song for you later. Right now, let's let Doug write home today."

"Thanks." I brought my helmet up to open the keypad control, which meant I was looking out the viewport at just the right time. "What the hell ...?"

Everyone turned to see what had caught my attention.

"What is that?"

"It looks like a big asteroid, but it's leaving Earth's atmosphere."

"Somebody get a camera, quickly!"

"I've already switched on my visual recorders, sir," replied Sora as she stared out the viewport.

"I hope you don't mind delaying your letter home, Doug. I have to check out the news about this." Noah turned to the computer console. "Yayoi, where do I want to listen?"

"Judging from the speed and trajectory of that rock, I believe it came from northern Africa."

"Thanks. BBC it is, then."

He keyed in a few commands and the computer's speaker came to life. "...eports of a large land mass launching from Nigeria are being confirmed by both the European Space Agency and the Transrationality Scientific Assessment Bureau. We have just learned that Number 10 has issued a statement, which I will read now: 'We are dismayed that anyone would want to take the soil of mother Earth away from the future generations that could have lived happily on that land. This is obviously the action of a group of terrorists who have found another application for the mysterious substance that has caused so many problems in America over the last year. Anyone who attempts to obtain samples of that substance in order to duplicate this heinous act on British soil will be prosecued to the fullest extent of the law.'"

Noah shut off the speaker. "More like 'persecuted' ... I wonder whether they need someplace to lie low for a while?"

"I doubt it, sir," replied Sora. "I'm picking up some structures on the ... flying island of rock. There's lights in their windows, so I think they're airtight and powered."

"That's a ship? Damn! Damn it damn it DAMN IT! If I'd thought of that, I could have saved a fortune by building this station on the ground!"

Yoriko interrupted Noah before he could get into a full rant. "Noah, the other news services are giving other countries' official reactions now. The British reaction was mild compared to the Americans' and the Russians'. I'm glad you're building Stellvia the way you are – I want to be able to go to Earth someday."

Noah took a deep breath, then released it slowly. "Yeah, you've got a point, Yoriko. Sora ... no, you're busy. Kohran, is the radio array capable of handling multiple signals yet?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then let's give them a call and welcome them to the neighbourhood." He turned to me and grinned. "And you've really got something to write home about now, Doug ..."

Stellvia Habitat Module 3. Saturday, July 12, 2008. 11:24 AM Local Time.

After all that, finding the right song to open the portal was almost anticlimatic. I announced that I'd found it after we finished pressure-testing the final shuttle tank, which Noah planned to turn into a dock for his spacecraft (which I'd never seen).

Dinner was quiet that night – the ladies excused themselves early and took off for Kohran's workshop (which I'd also never seen). "Aren't you worried about that, Noah?"

"They're finally exercising their own initiative, Doug, which means they're becoming human. They've already proven many times, before and after you arrived, that they want me to stay alive, so I doubt they're going to sabotage anything. If they want to tell me what they are doing, that's up to them."

But that was then, and this is now. Sora spent a few minutes making sure the exhaust capture tank and turbine heatsink worked properly before she let me or Noah into the module, then she gave me my bike's key.

"It's been fun, folks. Although nobody back home would believe some of what I saw if Sora hadn't given me a copy of the video she recorded." I tapped the bike's left pannier. "Are you sure you want to come along, Eimi?"

"Hell, yes! Let's get this show on the road!"

"Well, if you put it that way, how can I refuse? Eimi says it's time to leave. System ..."

"Mr. Sangnoir! Please don't leave yet!"

I turned to Sora, who was still standing beside my bike. "Is something wrong?"

"No ..." She blushed and looked at the floor – if I didn't know she was an android, I'd swear she was human. "I have a present for you."

"We all agreed that you'd probably appreciate it," added Yoriko, "but Sora's the one who built it."

"How can I refuse, then?"

Sora pushed a small package into my hand, then ran back to the others. I opened the box to discover a keychain with a small gadget attached as a fob.

"The front slides open, sir." I used my thumb to follow Sora's instruction, and discovered a small speaker and an on/off button. "The battery's good for years, and the song's burned into ROM."

"Which song?" I asked as I slid the cover closed again. No point in taking chances, not when I was about to open the portal.

Yayoi smiled. "I'm Alive. We thought you couldn't have too many copies of that song."

I thought for a moment. "I think you're right. Thank you." I put my bike's key onto the keychain. "You're good people, all of you."

"So are you, Doug," answered Noah. "So are you. Feel free to come back anytime, assuming you can find your way here again."

"I just might, but not any time soon. Good-bye, everyone." I closed the pannier, put my helmet on, and told it "System, load song Space Truckin'. Play song."

"Well we had a lot of luck on Venus
We always had a ball on Mars
We meet with all the groovy people
We like the milky way so far
We'll mess around in borealis
We're space truckin' round the staaaaarrs...

Come on! Come on! Come on! Let's go space truckin'!
Come on! Come on! Come on! Space truckin'!"

I could just barely hear Yoriko over the song and the engine. "Good luck getting home!"

I waved and put the bike in gear, and then I was on my way.

12 July 2008
11:31 GMT
Stellvia Habitat Module 3

Once the portal closed behind Doug, Noah sighed. "Good luck, Eimi," he whispered. The heturned to Kohran. "Did you get the readings you wanted?"

After a moment, she smiled. "Yes, Mr. Scott ... Noah. And I think I can build a permanent sensor to pick up other worldgates. That may take me a while, though."

"That's fine. If we're lucky, we'll never need it."

To be continued in Chapter One, Fenspace Explorers ...
--
Rob Kelk

Teaser for Chapter 3 (just to show that I haven't abandoned the story)...

Katz nodded grimly. "They attacked me, but didn't kill me. That was their biggest mistake."

Noah shook his head. "No, their biggest mistake was attacking Sora."

"We don't have time to argue. Their two biggest mistakes were attacking Sora and me."

Skuld scowled. "Their three biggest mistakes were attacking Sora, Katz, and us."

Dee cleared her throat. "Their four biggest mistakes were ... er, we'll just step out and come back in again."

Noah frowned. "Fine. Whatever. As of now, the mission to clean out this organized criminal cell in Crystal Paris is code-named 'Operation Spanish Inquisition'."

"I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition," commented Rei, completely deadpan.
--
Rob Kelk

LEGEND OF GALACTIC GIRLS

By Rob Kelk

created by Sean M. Breen

Chapter Three: Fist of the Morning Star

30 May 2013
13:08 GMT
Crystal Paris

"You're sure that they're linking up?"

"Positive, sir. Monsieur Schrödinger specifically asked where he could find Monsieur Scott."

The man in the shadows cursed in Italian for a few seconds. "They must have heard about this thing of ours, and thought we're as bad as de Leon's boys were over on Crystal Osaka. What in the name of all that's holy is wrong with those Colombians? Have they forgotten the joys of the drive-by? Or of simple extortion?"

"Sir?"

"Don't interrupt me when I've started a good rant." He glared at his impertinent underling, then sighed. "Signor Schrödinger and signor Scott -- Great Justice's 'Dirty Pair.'"

"Who, sir?"

"Don't you listen to the people out here? Perhaps I chose the wrong person to be my assistant." The underling paled slightly. "It's a reference to a Japanese cartoon. The important thing is that when Schrödinger and Scott work together, our people die." After a moment, he continued. "We have no choice. We have to hit them before they hit us. Make it happen; I'll tell La Mariposa."

13:11 GMT

"Noah!"

"Katz? What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. We need to talk, in private."

"What's wrong?"

"Not in public. You're the one who wants this kept hush-hush."

Noah sighed. "Yoriko told you." Katz nodded. "Fine. Ms. Vanette, Ms. Ravenhair, Ms. vel'deVarn, would you join us, please? Yayoi, Kohran, Ms. Swansen, would you mind keeping our other new friends company while they go shopping?"

A few minutes later, the now-smaller group was alone in one of the Sammies' meeting rooms.

"... and that's how they showed up," continued Noah while gesturing toward the visitors. "We both know that, if word gets out about how they got here, the boskonians would stop at nothing to learn how to duplicate the feat."

Dee raised an eyebrow at that, but didn't say anything. She didn't know this world very well; that might be how things worked here.

"Are any of these 'boskonians' mages?" asked Lisa.

"I don't know. I hope not. Even if they can't learn how you do what you do, they won't stop trying to duplicate it, then keep it for themselves if they succeed. It's too big an advantage."

"Do you want to know the spell to travel between worlds, Mr. Scott?"

"No, thank you, Ms. Vanette. One universe is big enough for me."

"He couldn't use it anyway," muttered Skuld.

"Noah," interrupted Katz, "that's beside the point. There's no possible way that you can keep this a secret."

"Why not?"

"I know you've read the stories they're in; I've seen the name on the credit card you use when you travel incognito. I did some research and discovered who wrote those stories."

"So?"

"Who lives aboard Grover's Corners?"

"Where did that come fro... oh. And they were on TV this morning. There's no possible way that I can keep this a secret."

Three people, all dressed in black and carrying attaché cases, walked into Crystal Paris' Sailor Militia base.

Only one person saw the group. She buzzed them in, then left.

There was a clatter as Skuld stood up fast enough to knock over her chair. She spun in place to look straight at the only door to the room.

"Skuld?" Lisa ignored Noah and Katz to concentrate on her friend. "What's wrong?"

"Someone's coming," Skuld whispered. Then she tipped the diamondoid conference table over and pushed Sora behind it, grabbing her hammer with her other hand.

"Take cover!" Dee yelled as she ducked, just before the door burst open.

Everyone in the room hit the floor behind the table before the three intruders were through the door. Those three braced their attaché cases on their stomachs ... and opened fire.

"Shit! That's live ammo!"

Skuld looked at Noah in surprise. "What did you think someone would attack us with?"

"Something like this," answered Katz as he tossed a grenade into the air. The grenade went off with a phrase of melody and the Japanese lyric ""

""

Yayoi winced. ""

""

""

"[i]"

[/i]

The first few fighters faced a door hidden deep in the life-support systems' caverns.

"Of course it's sealed," Noah sighed after trying his Great Justice ID in the card slot.

Katz nodded. "What else? They'd hardly want somebody who's supposed to be down here wandering in. Let's try creating a loud commotion out here, and if they unbolt the door, we'll jump them. Ms. Kino, can you make a thunderclap or something to draw people's attention?"

She grinned. "Thunder's just a noise, boys, lightning does the work."

Katz and Noah looked at each other. "Mark Twain?"

"Chad Brock. Don't forget who trained her."

"Oh. Right."

She frowned at the two men. "If you're finished...?" They shut up. "Thank you. Supreme Thunder!"

A blast of lightning shot from her hands, and the door exploded.

Noah whistled.

Katz blinked. "Okay, we're in." They headed inside.

The room was filled with somewhat-disquieting, oddly-suggestive conduits and beakers, all made from brightly-coloured transparent carbon. Noah took one look and whispered, "It's like a cross between H.R. Giger and H.R. Pufnstuf in here."

"Who and who?"

"Later, Ms. Vanette. We don't know when we'll be attacked."

Skuld pulled Noah to one side just before a machine pistol started firing. "They attack now. Please stay behind Mirai."

"Why?"

"Because, Mr. Schrödinger, she's bulletproof when she's in Moldiver form." Indeed, the bullets were bouncing off the short skirt and blouse that Mirai was wearing.

"Right. Important safety tip." Noah turned to Katz. "Whose turn is it to give the official warning?"

"Be my guest."

"Thanks." Noah raised his PDA to his lips, switching on the 'bullhorn' program. "This is an official Operation Great Justice raid! Surrender immediately!"

Gunfire was the only answer.

"Try to take at least one of them alive, ladies," Noah asked. "We need to know who they're working for."

Lisa nodded. "Peggy, guard the locals." She gestured toward Noah and Katz. "Bibi, Mirai, Skuld, out in front. Makoto and I'll back you up with artillery."

"We're not ..." Noah started.

Katz put his hand over Noah's mouth. "... in your league," he finished for his friend. "Go."

They left.

Katz waited for a moment, then took his hand away from Noah's mouth. "Are you going to insist on being a hero and joining in, getting in the way of five people who are used to fighting alongside each other and not used to working with us?"

"I can handle myself in a firefight."

"What about Sora? Or Yoriko? If you get shot, how are they going to take it?"

Noah stopped complaining. "When did you become the sane one in this partnership?"

An explosion in the distance drowned out the beginning of Katz's reply. "... and I shouldn't be the sane one. You need a vacation." Katz moved to the closest computer terminal. "Now that that's settled, let's see what we can see around here. I may not be as good as Trigon, but even I can spot some clues on a network." He typed for a few minutes, with only the receeding firefight making any noise. "But not on this network. We need a hacker."

"We have two." Noah switched on his commwatch. "Kohran, could you bring Kaolla and Rin-Rin down here, please?"

"Skuld already told us to head down. We're on our way," she answered.

"Thanks. Noah out."

Peggy looked at the commwatch. "Is that encrypted?"

"Of course."

"Then we had secure communications."

Katz shook his head. "The endpoints weren't secure."

"Oh. Right."

She'd made it this far ... but, against all protocol, she was being denied launch clearance. That wasn't supposed to happen. "Crystal Paris ATC, why am I being held on the launch pad?"

"We're sorry, Commander Sato, but there's a large ship coming in right across your launch vector. You'll have to wait until the lane is clear."

"Roger, Crystal Paris ATC," she replied while triple-checking her Corolla's space drive. [i]That's bullshit,
she thought. No traffic is allowed to come in across this landing pad. Then there was a knocking on the car's door.

""

It was Fujisawa Yayoi, the reservist from Stellvia. One of the Ayanami-Rei clones that infested Fenspace was standing behind her; it was probably the Ayanami that came to Crystal Paris along with the Stellvians. Fujisawa looked extremely upset. The Ayanami was expressionless, but she was fidgeting with her bracelet. Naoko was surprised she was showing that much emotion.

""

It was obvious to Naoko that she'd been found out. It was likely Fujisawa was here for revenge for her employer's death. Naoko couldn't even pretend she didn't understand what Fujisawa was saying, because she was speaking Japanese. Sato rolled the window down partway and tried to talk her way into an escape. ""

""

""[/i]

She had one chance -- assuming Fujisawa wasn't actually touching her Corolla. Even if the wilder rumours were true and Fujisawa was a killbot, a slim chance to get away from her was better than no chance at all. "" Sato reached down, rolled the window up, put the Corolla into gear, and floored it.

Once she was past the forcefield separating the city's atmosphere from the planet's, Naoko let the breath she was holding out in a half-sigh. She wasn't being followed or attacked from the launch pad. No choice now, she thought as she crossed the empty air that the nonexistant "large ship" supposedly was blocking. Evasive maneuvers, then make for La Mariposa's safehouse on Nehalennia.

As the echoes of the squeal of Sato's tires faded, Yayoi turned to Rei. ""

"" Rei commented. ""

""

While the others were busy preparing the [i]Epsilon Blade
for the trip to Ganymede, Bibi motioned Rin-Rin aside.

""

""

"[i]"

Noah looked like he was a cornered mouse. "I wish I understood more Japanese. Does this have anything to do with what I said during my thionite dream?"

Rin-Rin switched to English. "Yes. But not the way you think. I hope."

Further explanation was interrupted by the arrival of two men. "Ladies, I trust you remember me from this morning," Captain Corcoran said. "This is Bob Schroeck; he's very interested in meeting all of you."

"We're rather busy right now ..." Peggy began.

Noah put a hand on her arm. "Captain, I recall that the [i]Pinafore
is much larger and roomier than the Epsilon Blade. Are you interested in a charter run out to ... where are we going, again?"

Leda looked Noah squarely in the eye. "You and I are going back to Stellvia. Yayoi, Sora, Kohran, and our visitors are headed to Ganymede."

"The Jovian subsystem? Sure, it'll be a pleasant change from hospital ship duty."

"Mind if I come along?" asked Bob. "I'd really like to meet the Girls."

"I don't mind paying for one more passenger," replied Noah, "but don't get your hopes up too high. Two of the Girls are back on my station ..."

[/i][/i][/i]
Interlude

30 May 2013
19:18 GMT
Stellvia

She'd been running for a quarter hour.

She knew she was in trouble when she heard a massive feedback squeal from the bug she'd planted in Stellvia's main operations room. She didn't stick around to let the Great Justice people track the radio signal to her desk; she abandoned it in place and walked out onto the Main Concourse.

But there were two people walking her way on the Concourse: a dark-haired woman and a pointed-eared blonde girl. Two of the Visitors. Nancy and Chalotte, assuming the Stellvians had the names right. She didn't know who Nancy was -- there wasn't any Nancy in any of the Drunkard's Walk stories she knew about -- but she had read the fanfics because she'd read the Borribles books when she was a teenager, and she knew she really didn't want to be on the business end of Chalotte's rumble-stick. She had an aversion to having holes poked in her body. And Chalotte looked annoyed.

So she smiled, nodded, and walked past Nancy.

As soon as the two had walked into the office module she'd just left, she started running.

She'd made it to her special module almost halfway around the Main Concourse before the Visitors spotted her. She ducked inside and dogged the airlock closed, then lowered the pressure in the module -- not enough to be dangerous, but it would stop the airlock doors from opening.

She saw that the Visitors had caught up to the airlock just as she turned away. She moved to the controls beside the airlock and prepared to hit the emergency disconnect. In any other module, that would have been suicide. But this module had a spacedrive of its own; she could get away.

She looked up to gloat at the Visitors through the airlock's window, then stopped in surprise. The older one was walking through the closed airlock door.

"Hi," the Visitor drawled sexily while somehow reaching past her skin and into her chest. "If you keep trying to run, I'll rip your heart out, and that would be a shame. You're such a pretty girl. Want to give up?"

She nodded in fear. "What are you?" she whispered.

"I-jin," answered Nancy.

30 May 2013
20:44 GMT
Stellvia

"Damn it, Yoriko, I don't need a stretcher," complained Noah.

She looked as if she was about to cry. "But you were shot!"

"And dosed with thionite," added Katz.

"He was WHAT?" Yoriko almost-screamed.

"I got better," Noah started.

"Only because of the Girls," interrupted Katz. "You really should save your strength. Let Rhiannon help you off my ship."

He gestured to the nurse, who brought the stretcher in closer. "What's this about him being dosed with thionite? I'll need to know exactly what happened."

"My other passenger will tell you everything I could, Ms. MacKenzie," Katz replied as Rin-Rin stepped off the Uncertainty, keeping her distance from Noah. He turned to Nancy. "What's this about a spy in my ranks, Makuhari-san?"

"We caught her listening in to station operations from an office in the Above and Beyond drydock," Nancy replied, all business. "She had bugs in a half-dozen other rooms, including the Operation Great Justice boardroom, and an illicit transmitter."

"Not my doing, I assure you."

From the stretcher, Noah grabbed Katz's hand. "I trust you. But even your group can miss a boskonian spy. You're only human."

Katz frowned at Noah's comment. "We can't afford to be 'only human' while the war's on. Where's this spy?"

"In the station's brig," replied Nancy. "Would you go get her, please? She's afraid of me for some reason."

"I'll take her off your hands." As Noah started to protest, Katz continued, "I insist. You aren't the only group that takes care of its own."

To be continued in Chapter Four, Angelic Layover...
--
Rob Kelk

Grrrr. I wanna see more of Bob Interacting with the Gals, now I have to wait till next webisode!

(Use: WHiney kids voice)

ITS NOT FAIR!!! NOT FAIR NOT FAIR

(/use)
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children