Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Art/RFC] Rethinking older designs
Re: RE: Mission Patch
Quote:
I would say that option 2A and option 4 are the ones easiest to create for the "we need a patch. How do we get a patch" stage.
Actually, in terms of pure simplicity, 3b and 4 are the least complicated designs (both visually and in how much time it took to create them). For a quick-and-dirty patch, 3b as is or modified to fit a round backing is *the* simplest design.
Quote:
From what I've seen of artwork of this variety, it's difficult to get something like option 1, with its huge amounts of finicky detail, to come out in any way that actually looks good up close. You could conceivably do it by putting in noticeably more time and effort, but I don't see that it's particularly better to the degree that would make that worthwhile.
It's not something you could do in embroidery on a 5" patch, no. I've seen that design *done* (the Great Seal of the Soviet Union, fwiw) on that scale, but you're right in that a lot of the detail is lost. Option 1 is an Okudagram design, and most of those aren't really meant to be cloth patches. Stickers, maybe, but not patches.
Despite that, I like it anyway. [Image: wink.gif]
Quote:
Option 2C looks awfully patriotic(US). That could be good (if they like the mindwarp of having russian lettering on a red-white-and-blue patch) or bad (if they don't like being mistaken for patriotic americans).
Yeah. About that, I'd just like to note that the United States doesn't have a monopoly on red, white and blue.
Quote:
I would say, if you go with any of the options 3, it looks cooler if the thin part of the swoosh is behind the lettering, and the thick part is in front - suggesting that the ship departed the world, flew under and past the lettering, and then back up and away.
That's a good point, thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:
"Besides, it was a new coloring book for her and part of her function. A win-win situation."
...this is, scarily enough, a very good description of how and why I do stuff like this.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Messages In This Thread
[Art/RFC] Rethinking older designs - by M Fnord - 09-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Re: [Art/RFC] Rethinking older designs - by Kokuten - 09-26-2007, 03:23 PM
RE: Mission Patch - by Lord Aries Greymon - 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Re: RE: Mission Patch - by M Fnord - 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Re: RE: Mission Patch - by Kokuten - 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM