Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a silly question...
I have a silly question...
Okay - stop me if this has been answered already, but...
What are the Scientologists doing while this is going on?
- They're an enormous cult with a significant powerbase, and some rather odd ideas
- They definately have some eyeballs looking to the stars, and they tend to read certain very specific kinds of science fiction... well... religiously.
- They tend to be moderately-to-heavily brainwashed, and not react well to dissent. (Apparently, this goes so far that one of their rules actually forbids meaningful discussion on interpretation/explanation of their rules. They actually aren't allowed to say "Rule A says this, Rule B says that, that doesn't make sense to me, please explain." They aren't allowed to let nonmembers know what the rules are in the first place.)
- They don't always feel welcomed where they're at.
Clearly they'd be doing *something* in response to handwavium - but what?
Re: I have a silly question...
The Scientologists are trying to spread through Fenspace much like they're trying to spread through the rest of the world. Nothing particularly exciting to note there. They've tried some experiments with handwaving e-meters, but there's only so much handwavium can do, and generating thetans isn't on the list.
The Sea Org has a ready-made base of operations in their cruise liner Freewinds. I'd come up with a Registry entry for it, but a) I'm not remotely inclined to be charitable towards Scientologists, and b) I really, really don't want to bring the wrath of those idiots down upon us. Anyway, take it as read that if the Hubbardistas have gotten into handwavium, they've handwashed Freewinds at a minimum and now have a space-capable base of operations, and a big one at that.
As for the Fenspace reaction to the Scientologist presence... well, let's just say there's a reason the Soviet Air Force went to considerable trouble to acquire a DC-8, and then named it the Xenu Express.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Reviving this thread because recent events have caught my eye.

Let's put it to a vote: In the official Fenspace history, the Church of Scientology falls to the legions of Anonymous in what the Internet calls The Great War.

Sound like a halfway interesting idea, or have I been smoking the happy herb a little too much?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Re: I have a silly question...
Quote:Let's put it to a vote: In the official Fenspace history, the Church of Scientology falls to the legions of Anonymous in what the Internet calls The Great War.
I'm staying neutral on this one - I'm not wild about either /b/ or the CoS.

No matter how the decision goes, I doubt I'll refer to it in any of my stories...

Edit: http://www.cafepress.com/isadc8]Related Merchandise Alert (not my shop)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: M Fnord wrote:

The Great War.
Interesting. What's the Encyclopedia Dramatica that the censorware at my job blocks it?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's the wiki repository of 4chan memes. Since there's so much casual racism and sophomoric "humor" there, it's a legitimate site to
block at work. Plus, as it's a wiki... it prevents "wiki addiction."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Podcast Alert
Posted without prejudice:

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/searchengine_ ... 7_4645.mp3]Anonymous on CBC's Search Engine

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012