Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RFC: Splitting Fenspace
Re: RFC: Splitting Fenspace
Thanks!
Evil plan is approaching fruition, do you wish to save? (y/n/fnord)Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Speaking of a permanent host, is anyone stepping up to the plate on that?
I happen to have some space on limitedwish that I'm not using (and probably far more bandwidth than it's likely to need), but I also have no idea what I'm doing, so might not be the best choice. '.'
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Quote:
Speaking of a permanent host, is anyone stepping up to the plate on that?
If the wiki is up and running, and it doesn't require too much technical expertise to transfer it, I certainly can host it over on warriors-alpha.net.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
While waiting on my pre-readers, I'm populating more of the wiki. Today: factions.
Edit: Which now has every scrap of information I have about the factions of Fenspace. It's amazing how many of the pages would be called "stubs" on WikiPedia...
Re-Edit: And now many of the Glossary entries have links to the longer Faction writeups, and the Glossary itself has been updated.
-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
More wiki population: Places (EZBoard insists on mangling the link to this one, no matter how I try correcting it - it's in the Gazetteer) and Companies.
Places are merely listed - writeups would be appreciated. Companies are detailed, but there aren't very many of them...

Edit: Plus the "Radio Frequencies" and "Tourism" articles from the Gazetteer. I haven't touched the "Fenchurch" article - do we want to put that up as a stand-alone section, or as part of a "Religion in Fenspace" Gazetteer subsection?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

hm
My vote's for a "Religion in Fenspace" section. Frex, explaining how an Amish ship works [Image: wink.gif]
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: hm
sugg religion as own section - even if it'll be an underpopulated section detailing that religious extremism is frowned upon in Fenspace.. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
"Religion in Fenspace" it is.
But somebody else gets to write the article about the Amish. (Whoever steps up to the plate can use the Amish faction entry as a stub...)
Edit: It's in. (I hope people appreciate how much work I did on finding explanatory links for the Fenchurch page...) And so is a fair chunk of the "next-gen" stuff (clearly tagged as next-gen stuff), including the writeup of Sector General. And so are the Gazetteer entries for the Professor, Mr. Morden, and Katz, on their brand-new Character pages. And so are a whole lot of links on the Characters page, so that people can start entering their own characters' information instead of waiting for Mal or me to get to it.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

In re: Shinto, Rob, what precisely is meant by "a large but unusual presence"? Is this anime-fan Shinto, assembled piecemeal (and somewhat incorrectly) from its mentions in dozens of series?

-- Bob
---------
That was my intent, yes. But if the rest of the Collective wants to take it in a different direction, more power to us...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Today's updates
Today's wiki population is mostly stuff dredged out of the original Plotbunny Thread and added to existing entries.
I've also:
* added a bunch of stuff to the FAQ;
* put Rockhounds on the Companies list and given it an entry;
* added a new entry for Crystal Tokyo with information from the Plotbunny thread;
* updated the Glossary; and
* created a Gazetteer subsection on Government (both Fen and 'Dane), and listed both Conventions and the TSAB under it while leaving a blank line there for the Principa Discordia.
(Edit: Links... must remember to provide links to new pages...)
(Re-Edit: And EZBoard procedes to mangle the link for Crystal Tokyo... Look under Gazetteer | Places | Venus)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Re: Today's updates
In other wiki news, I've added a toy that lets me know who's updated what page (within the last couple week or so, anyway), and I've added stubs for everybody on the userlist. Consider this a subtle hint to wander over and make yourself a proper userbio.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I'll probably wander in and make an account today. I want to put up the GC at the very least.

-- Bob
---------
Consider this another subtle hint: I've heard back from all but one of my pre-readers, and that one doesn't reply unless he sees something wrong, so I'll be writing Legend of Galactic Girls instead of populating the Wiki for a while.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

re: bleh (my comp doesn't auto-reply subject lines)
Quote:
Consider this another subtle hint: I've heard back from all but one of my pre-readers, and that one doesn't reply unless he sees something wrong, so I'll be writing Legend of Galactic Girls instead of populating the Wiki for a while.
Quote:

Woohoo! Go! Write! Write! *waits with baited breath, and No, you don't want to know how many worms I

''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Re: re: bleh (my comp doesn't auto-reply subject lines)
Well, will you settle for reading Chapter One right now?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

*Glee*
Zip.
Zoom.
Zing!
REEEEEADS.
'sgood!

-- James Nicoll
Re: reply
Thanks.
Hay fever kept me from serious writing, so more wiki population today - the crew of the White Stallion in the Character Listing, and a list of the known BBIs in the Pulpers writeup.
(And I'm seriously considering separating out the Blue Blazer writeup from the rest of the Pulpers, since it's larger than all the other subfactions put together... Opinions, Mal and everyone else?)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
(And I'm seriously considering separating out the Blue Blazer writeup from the rest of the Pulpers, since it's larger than all the other subfactions put together... Opinions, Mal and everyone else?)
Makes sense to me.---
Mr. Fnord

Quote:
Hay fever kept me from serious writing, so more wiki population today - the crew of the White Stallion in the Character Listing, and a list of the known BBIs in the Pulpers writeup.
Thanks for that Rob. Not that I wasn't getting there, but I keep getting distracted...
Quite all right.
(Most of the entries I populate the wiki with would be considered "stubs" on Wikipedia, so there's plenty of room for expansion in them...)
Edit: Too hot to write today. Wiki population: almost every word in page one of the Character Thread sticky (I didn't post KJ's writeup because I know he has a wiki account), plus stubs for the SOS-dan and the Sol Bianca androids.
That means most of the unaligned characters, everyone on the Island, the Sol Bianca, and the SOS-dan, and a few others now have character writeup stubs...
Re-Edit: And I see the boss has already noticed the Haruhi writeup... How do you make those tags, BTW?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
Re-Edit: And I see the boss has already noticed the Haruhi writeup... How do you make those tags, BTW?
Magic. [Image: happy.gif]
Less glib, the notation is blah , where $foo can be "important," "tip" or "warning". HTH.---
Mr. Fnord

Thanks.
I've just finished off copying the rest of the Character Thread sticky to the wiki, including KJ's writeups. Most of these are stubs - flesh them out, please, folks...
And if your character isn't in the wiki now, then he or she isn't in the Character Thread either. (looks at all the null links, including two to my own characters... oopsie)
Edit: And if the character doesn't have enough information for other people to be able to make a reasonable reference to him or her, or if it's an Open character without enough information to be able to use him or her in a story, then there's a note on the page saying it's a stub.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Fenwiki update - clarified 'handwavium' glossary entry for style coherence, updated 'handwavium' Gazetteer entry to a stub from a null. Created 'Hermes' Character Profile entry.
Updated 'Addressing' in Radio Frequencies section to 'Addressing and Phone Numbers'. Added Hephaestus to companies sectionWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Today's wiki population:
Places: The Hell-Hole in Space
People: Tabitha Doe, Johnathan "Hound" Mulder
Ships: SuperBall
minor edits to other articles
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk