Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addendum for Faction Entry
Re: aaand
(ooc: Rob, it is public (at least somewhat) knowledge that the girls are AI, no? If not, disregard. And yes, I know, this is all going off the original topic something fierce; bad habit of mine.)
*private msg to Yoriko* "Just between us girls... it's an expansion of something KJ once thought of but put on the backburner due to lack of processing. Rather easier for me to do since I *am* processing, ne?
The working name is Omegajutsu. The basic idea is that there's a far-less-than-infinite number of ways for the human body to transmit force, and by looking at limb positioning you can figure out what the few most efficient at any given moment are based on a few criteria. The way joints bend, and how muscle groups attach to the skeleton determines this in the same way as range of motion. Similarly, you can categorize responses based on some criteria.
It's sorta a predictive scripting system; I can look at someone's stance (and distance, etc) and know the top few moves they're likely to pull from there because there's going to be X number that they couldn't efficiently do with their limbs in that position. Once they start to execute one of them, things narrow significantly; what exactly they're doing becomes more precisely defined, along with what it could transition into if it were a feint or whatever. From there, a bunch of decision branches come up; top few counters for any move depending on preset criteria (do I want to pummel this guy unconscious as quickly as possible, or just keep them from doing me injury?) and how they could possibly react to my counter, and what they'd do after that, and so on. Even correlates stances and actions to come up with a model of likely training and more exact physical capabilities, which allows the predictive capabilities to go a few seconds farther ahead of realtime than normal, and better weigh the decision branches.
Probably something that isn't really doable for biological-based brains; I'm informed that sifting through the datasets like that in conscious thought reliably is improbable at best, especially with the timing that some of them require. On the other hand, as long as the user's CPU and RAM specs are up to it, it doesn't really have any physical spec requirements. Overpowering or moving faster than one's opponent opens up more options, but even if they're significantly faster and stronger it still works.
Or should; I'm on a full combat chassis, so how'd I know? ^_^;;
I don't know how your movement systems are coded; personally I suspect I'm one of the closest to hardtech, programming-wise but it'd be rude to ask to poke at others source code. I've no automatic reflexes or anything, but I can learn equivalents without muscle memory. So, how applicable this would be to you or, frankly, anyone but me is unknown as yet, but I can send you the source files if you want. I'd appreciate not spreading it around too far though; while the results are promising, it's still basically in late-alpha and I'm not sure how far I want to spread it out besides."
arg
"Sure Yoriko, but I can't do it reliably through Shortwave, you'll need to come to (large public place like the hangar, or the park in Phobos, etc.) so I can use my main sensor array."
(Shortwave has no onboard computing capacity beyond the embedded microcontrollers for the servomotors; WC runs it entirely by remote - this means he's not dooing much with the main chassis att the moment, he's not used to multitasking on this level even after a few years as a machine intelligence, and obviously has no experience with running two bodies simultaneously as a squishy.)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: arg
"Well, I've done some timelines and I think I can have a prototype ready in about a month. Sure, you'd only have Kasumi and Andy to work with but it should do for demos.
Convoy, can you forward me the format you'll be using?"
"Done, A.C., it should hit your inbox momentarily. It's based on the Open Character Animation Library format with extensions to allow for non-human-standard joint configurations - it's actually what my own motion-control is based on, in fact, as well as most of the Gearhead mecha since I released it."
(...)
"I added source for the conversion utility as well, that adapts SCAL standard jointed animations as well a possible with inverse kinematics from the extremities, and the reverse. I doubt there's any other hardware that would run my laser core binaries..."
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
"Thanks Convoy, I'll pass it on to the sim construct and capture people.
...Damn I'm gonna have a busy month, by Kahless."
"You're welcome. What ring size are you planning on; if it's 24ft square or less, or 24ft wide by (about 100ft, I'm not sure myself OOC) or so with minor obstructions you can use the top of my Wave Amplifier trailer as one, rolling through the Outback or across Mars or Luna." The was an eye-crinkle again, if less pronounced than the first time, and he added, "I doubt you'd find too many who'd want to go up against me hand to hand, so it's about the only way I can appear in the game - if you want to."
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
Quote:
"I doubt you'd find too many who'd want to go up against me hand to hand, so it's about the only way I can appear in the game - if you want to."
"Pardon my interruption, but if you're using a fighting engine, it's a simple matter to scale down the Wave Convoy model to near-human size, and keep the kinematics."
*eyes Shortwave*
"I definately want in on this action"
OOC:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N
Is this a FENMUGEN embryo?
Why, I think it is!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
... okay, now I'm lost. Who are you playing in this convo, Kokuten? Anyway, IC...
Shortwave's optics flickered and flared in the Cybertronian equivalent of a doubletake blink. "Aside from the styling it's a fairly standard telepresence set up... A waved transciever supplies the bandwidth for direct control, and the rest is energon-based actuators, like my original chassis. I don't mind sharing the specifics if you want them, but there shouldn't be anything groundbreaking about it."
- CD
ETA: "Though, if you haven't kept up with the Gearheads' Mechatronics mailing list you might not have seen it, at that. (ooc: assuming it's another AI char) You should have at least gotten an invitation to it, they send one to any machine life form they hear about having awakened."SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
--
"Y'know, for software-based KoF tournament I really was picturing like... KoF 2002 or so. Y'know, with Iori, Vanessa, Vice, Mature, Leona, and other, lesser characters... not that the virutal fighting thing isn't getting to interesting trains of thought as well."
I'd be playing myself, actually. My bad, moo-moo.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Ah, okay then. scratch everything in the ETA, instead: (and pending approval of your characters' use)
While the 'doubletake' emote played, Wave Convoy fired off another quick email, this time to Vi, asking why she hadn't told Wiregeek about the Shortwave drone when general specs were posted to the list, since she's a frequent kibbitzer in discussions of how to increase speedrive performance or stealth systems.
(expected answers are along the lines of 'he was busy with another project' or 'I wasn't really following that thread' or even 'a girl's got to have some private hobbies, you know!')
- CD
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
--
Re: aaand
Quote:
ooc: Rob, it is public (at least somewhat) knowledge that the girls are AI, no? If not, disregard.
ooc: It's an open secret that they're AIs. Thus, about half of Fenspace knows that one or another of Noah's "angels" are 'droids.
Other than Sora, that is.
What blew the top off the secret was when Noah essentially called Sora an AI in public while defusing a minor crisis, the day Grover's Corners lifted. (That scene's part of the vignette I e-mailed to Bob a short-while ago.) As a result, by 2013 she's known to be a 'droid across Fenspace, and most folks who don't actually know for sure suspect the other three 'droids are 'droids as well.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
"Sure Yoriko, but I can't do it reliably through Shortwave, you'll need to come to (large public place like the hangar, or the park in Phobos, etc.) so I can use my main sensor array."
"Okay, I'm on my way! See you later, girls!"

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

That's right, I forgot to ask in the rewrite of that post after mmy connection timed out on the first one - as this just kind of grew into an RP/story thad frothe faction notes, no definite location was set. It's presumably a reasonably sizeable station, but where? Stellvia? The Island? One of the Martian moons, or Grovers Corners?
- CD
ETA: And, one more added line to Wiregeek: "I can see why you might be interested with your mining operations - I was quite effective as an asteroid miner fresh offplanet, but coordination with human-sized coworkers was occasionally difficult. A smaller chassis with enhanced strength and mobility, operated remotely by on of Haephestaeus' existing AIs could be very handy."SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
--
Wave Convoy probably won't fit inside of any of Stellvia's compartments.
If I had to say, I'd probably say either the Island or Phobos... or maybe Utopia Planitia, if people don't mind visiting the bottom of a gravity well.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

I was thinking the Island or Phobos myself, for the space and the shopping - though I'd thought Stellvia had docking available for SC class craft? He's right on the top edge of that, but still inside the limits in truck form - well within, actually, if the rear wheels/legs are folded up in back and he moves on wavedrive hover. It's not really important, however, not at this time - it is all the more reason to have Shortwave and/or the Wave Amplifier around, due to the gullwing design of his cab's hatches, docking tubes designed for fitting to a mostly flat or somewhat curved side-opening door or top sunroof cant't connect properly.
--
"OK, the sim construct I've got my contacts in Metropolis to code is exactly that, a sim construct like The Matrix (only without the Machines using People as power sources bit). Size limits are related to processing power, cause the construct will be photo-realistic to the user.
If my projections on the processing power of the processing nodes I'm constructing pan out, it should be able to render something like The Island well enough to wonder if you actually THERE.
Game design wise, I was planning to use a DOA multi-level arena design. So if anyone wants to go up against a full size Wave Convoy, they can."
Quote:
though I'd thought Stellvia had docking available for SC class craft?
Docking, yes. Landing-bay space, no. The largest thing Stellvia can take inside is the Epsilon Blade, and I believe Wave Convoy is larger than a "Delta Flyer" class ship...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Getting back to the faction notes...
I was wondering why the Cybers put Wave Convoy so high on a martial arts skill ranking system, when he/I have none, really. Then, this popped out... it slots nto both my earlier stuff and the Crystaql Osaka attack, and so must be considered poen to big revision depending on how that eventually gets writen, but the only real requirements it imposes are

A: The big robot used for smashing the doe was a repro Epyon from Gundam Wing, built hella tough on Gnarlycurl before being stolen
B: It gets away from the on-site defenders relatively intact

Anyway, here's the file written offline:

----------------------------------------------------

This looks at first like a setting breaker, but just bear with me to the end. If consensus is that it's really too powerful, I'll trim it back a bit.

------------------------------

Dateline: The tail end of the Crystal Osaka attack, after the repro Gundam Epyon that breached the dome is driven off by the valiant Cyber defenders. Wave Convoy and KITTEN have sortied ahead, desperately racing to get there in time to do something, anything, to help, Gnarlycurl following at its poky best speed to deal with the injured and displaced. They're almost too late, but catch up with the fleeing Boskonian just outside the atmosphere...

Surfing With the Alien 5(?):
MAXIMUM OUTPUT
by ClassicDrogn

"KITTEN, I assume you've also done a high-res scan of the bogey. What do you think?" Wave Convoy's voice was tense over the com channel, only the faintest hope weighing against the worst suspiscions.
"Obviously they've changed the IFF, but there's no mistaking that bod, C. It's our boy, all right," the two-tone Trans Am's AI replied, South Boston accent giving it a sensual purr even through a thick layer of anger. "If that's not one of the assholes that offed Duo and stole his shit, he knows 'em. I'm startin' to reconsider that rebuild you offered, as long as it comes with a bonus hatchet or two. Hell, I'll settle for a stake, worked well enough back in Beantown and the 'Dale."
Wave Convoy made an acknowledging hum as he transformed, continuing gravely, "The Boskone must be stopped... no matter the cost. One shall stand, one shall fall... and that one will be YOU!" The Epyon's pilot had ignored all calls for surrender, or even to identify himself, but the time for talking was through as far as Convoy was concerned.
Riding in KITTEN, Marcel "Micheal" LeChevalier gasped as he saw the gravitational shear readings from the self-proclaimed Autobot spike off the chart, resolving after it recalibrated to a whopping 150 gravities accelleration for half a second, shooting the giant mechanoid forward to tackle the fleeing enemy unit. A visible glowing fog began to form around the green and grey giant as he tore into into the Boksone who'd done the critical damge to Crystal Osaka viciously. The giant Cybertronium blade they'd worked on for weeks to sharpen after the Seibertron handwavium finished converting it from plain fiberglass went flying as the arm holding it was severed at the elbow by a savage knife-hand blow, glowing fluid-state energon gushing from ruptured conduits.
"Please tell me you're recording this, K," he pleaded, the shear graph spiking with each strike, all but ignored in favor of the incredible display going on outside.
The softly glowing nimbus only kept growing stronger as Convoy struck again and again, growling over the short-range channel, "Dan Maxwell came to my ship with A DREAM!" The heavy armor of the Epyon replica, easily the equal of Wave Convoy's own, began to deform and crack under the blows. "He wanted to build his FAVORITE EVER MECH!" Spinning blurringly fast, he built momentum for a roundhouse kick that folded his opponent over at the waist like a cheap stuffed toy, then blurred again to catch it in a bear hug before it could slip away. The unit's remaining arm was crushed into uselessness before the raging Autobot turned it loose. "Even though it was a DAMN GUNDAM, I helped him! WE HAD THE SAME DREAM!" more punches and kicks battered the Gundam, the thruster pack mounting the wings falling away to explode after repeated impacts sheared away the waved steel bolts holding it in place. "AND YOU! YOU TOOK HIS DREAM, AND USED IT TO ATTACK THAT CITY! TO KILL ALL THOSE PEOPLE!" The torso armor had begun to shatter and break away, plumes of escaping air from the cockpit setting it tumbling gently even as it drifted back toward the planet, powerless. "BASTARDS! BURN TO SLAG IN THE PIT!!"
The was one last gravity spike as Wave Convoy blurred forward once more, delivering a massive, two-handed overhead smash to the floating wreck, which spiralled away to fall back into the high upper atmosphere, the heat of reentry turning it into a glowing cherry dot before being swallowed by the sulfuric acid clouds. Hanging motionless at last, he watched it for a moment, still shrouded in an eldritch purplish glow, before calling tiredly over the open channel, sounding suddenly as old as his role model, Optimus Prime. "KITTEN," that quiet voice sounded, weighed down by enough remorse for millenia, "I'm going to need a tow back to the ship. Entering stasis mo-..."
The signal ended with the crackle of a lost carrier, and the watching man and AI suddenly realised what had happened - the glowing energy field wasn't some kind of secret weapon, some Dragonball-like power up he'd kept concealed, it was energon, spraying in a fine mist from practically every joint or gap in Convoy's chassis. However he'd produced the gravity spikes that had delivered such stunning force, and enabled moving at speeds starkly incredible for such a huge construct, it had done grievous harm to his own systems.
"FUCK! We better slap a grapple on him before he hits air, M!" KITTEN exclaimed, darting forward on her speed drive. "Gotta admit, though, bossman was seriously hardcore there. Not like the asshole didn't deserve it."

--------------------------

So, I can hear the cries from here, "WTF!? Why is this here, now?"
It occurred to me to wonder why in the universe the Cybers would rate Wave Convoy so high in their combat rankings - granted, he's big and tough, and moves with speed that looks human in scale with his frame, but he/I have no martial skill at all, really, just a lot of time spent watching kung fu flicks and mecha anime. Then I remembered that I'd designed the grav-jump system as a distributed node network with generators all through his body, and realized that driving it at overload could easily result in a "hyper mode" sort of deal, using the accelleration-drive movement at the limb segment level to deliver terrific force. Of course, there has to be a price, some reason he doesn't just do it all the time and clean house - so the crazy gravity fluxes rip up his "circulatory system" even as the overspeed on the joints wrecks his actuators - basically, he'll be needing total replacement of them all after this, and even as it happens he's losing "blood" like Hyatt in the last episode of Excel Saga. On top of that, his own hands have been completely destroyed by the force of the blows, and even the "cuff" joints that flip them out from inside the arms when he transforms are damaged beyond repair, as are the ankles from landing those spinning power kicks. The Panzerkunst evaluation of him as "watch, might exceed Kreiger" would then be based on this rather impressive Seinerweisen, and the stated intention to (re?)construct the sword and unarmed art of Metallikato from Transformers fiction and exsting martial arts as appropriate for his joint and body structure. Though they did retrieve the Epyon's leaf-shaped blade (made in the shape of the anime Epyon's plasma blade and painted a similarly bilious green before being 'waved) it's not the one he uses, however.
Yes, I drasically compressed the time it should take for the wreck to fall into the atmosphere in the name of drama. Sosumi.
And, I know this is out of order, that I've only posted SWtA 1a, 1b, and 2 - 3 is actually going up at the same time as this, introducing the last of my human regulars, and 4 is going to be SOScon. I may change this to 6 if I think of something to show how they'd been operating before it, but unless there's another set of PCs who bust up themselves or their gear and need major fixin' before Crystal Osaka gets the axe, there's not a wole lot of excitement to describing the operation of a mechanic garage. The rewrite of Part One is looking like having three parts now, as well, in order to intersect as intended with the Miranda plotting - basicaly what's there will be adjusted for continuity, and details will be added when they arrive in orbit instead of a quick wrap up.
So what sets him off? As the characters sort-of say above, the mecha in question was built aboard Gnarlycurl, using mostly "cybertronian" methods despite the Gundam Wing styling. It took months, during which time Wave Convoy and Dan "Duo" Maxwell (his real name, but who had none of the look except wearing a long braid, BTW) bonded over the similarity of their quests to build what each considered the ultimate mecha of thier dreams. A few weeks after it was finished, Dan's ship was found wrecked, him messily dead inside it, and the Epyon missing. The obvious conclusion that such a sweet piece of gear was now in Boskone hands was bad enough, but what they used it for... and here I thought I'd made a character without major hot buttons, but just the thought of it when it occurred to me had me shaking with anger IRL, and I knew it was too rich in character development to pass up. Why is he feeling so guilty at the end? Because however you look at it, in the final analysis it was Convoy and his people who built the weapon that punched through Crystal Osaka's dome, making him, in a way, an accessory to the attack. If this is where The Beginning ends, then it's time for him to become serious about the fight, instead of just picking up the peices after battles, when the slow-moving Gnarlycurl arrives.
I'll add a link to here from the SWtA thread so it's easy to find the storybit later. I meant to do it before, since it has RP with WC in it - I intend for anything involving him to be linked in SWtA for ease of reference, instead of having to try to hunt down half-remembered threads months later to check details or make adjustments.
- CD
ETA: And could we get a "+RP/story" or something added to the thread title, so it's easier to find later on? SOmeday I'll ahve access on a machine that suports "save link as" again and will save off all the story threads... I keep thinking I should collect the messageboard links, correlate them to the timeline and add a post on there, too, but that one's even further away.
--
Re: Getting back to the faction notes...
Quote:
Anyway, here's the file written offline:
Saved to read later...
Quote:
SOmeday I'll ahve access on a machine that suports "save link as" again and will save off all the story threads...
I've already started that project. I'm not saying "don't do it" - mutiple backups are better than single backups, after all.
Quote:
I keep thinking I should collect the messageboard links, correlate them to the timeline and add a post on there, too, but that one's even further away.
The big problem with that is that some people here don't give any hints as to when their stories take place...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
don't give any hints as to when their stories take place...
Whenever it needs to take place, of course!
sorry, sorry, I'll be.. over here. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
So, from the overwhelming wave of indifference, can I take it that there's no major objection to the Maximum Output short?
--
I file no objection at all. Giant robot-man goes apeshit, sacrifices physical being for destruction of hated enemy and saving of multiple innocents.
I like it!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Ditto. It makes a good backdrop (and distraction) for what the Stellvians are doing at the time...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Likewise. And when the penalties are extant to that degree... well, just overall cool.