Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fen Radio Live!
Fen Radio Live!
I havent done much with Fenspace. I did post a ship a long while ago, the SuperBall, but then I ignored Fenspace because I couldnt think of what I wanted my character to do. I just noticed the rules for radio and FTL comm and inspiration struck. May I present to you, DJ John, Fen radio host and his ship, the SuperBall. Please review my character and ship and provide criticism.
Kokuten, I would appreciate your help in figuring out a frequency and station call sign for my radio show.
Jon (Herr Bad Moon), The Inelegant Truth does the news so I would like to request your permission for my character to use The Inelegant Truth for its news source and maybe sister station.
Ship Name: SuperBall
Created by Freddy Isnot
Registry Number: I am not a number
Base Hull: Spaceball gyroscope enclosed in a plastic shell
Drive Type: Speed (max velocity 0.1C), sort of
Owner of Record: Juhan
Purpose: Personal transportation/Radio broadcast station for Fen Radio Live!
Launched: May 4, 2008
Crew:
* Juhan AKA DJ John
Known Vehicle Quirks:
* The drive is broken, it must bounce off another object before changing course. It makes use of the Slapstick Effect to not seriously damage itself or the object it is bouncing off of.
* The SuperBall refuses to accept computer navigation.
* The outer shell of the SuperBall is constantly spinning while the inside remains stationary.
* Due to the nature of the SuperBall, it is more or less impervious to all projectile weapons. However, due to the nature of the SuperBall, it is also incapable of having any offensive capability of its own. There are no weapons, and if it tries to ram another ship, it will simply bounce off with, at most, a slight dent imparted.
Known Crew Quirks:
* Juhan uses Handwavium goo as a hair gel. It is not yet known what effect this has on his hair.
* Despite his accuracy in calculating the spin and bounce of the SuperBall, Juhan sucks on the pool table.
* In order to keep up his 24/7 live radio broadcast, Juhan is a polyphasic sleeper, catching 30 minute naps every four hours.
Faction: Un-aligned
Home Port: Mars
Current Location: On the way to Mars
Trivia:
* As a tribute to the movie, Explorers, Juhan searched for a junked carnival ride to use as a hull. He finally found a rental company selling off an old Spaceball gyroscope.
* Juhan's inspiration for using the Handwavium was Flubber from "The Absent-Minded Professor."
* Changes of direction are performed by deliberately running into an object and adjusting the spin of the SuperBall to achieve the desired angle of deflection.
* The SuperBall also sometimes seen hitching a ride on other spaceships by means of a grapple and rope.
*The SuperBalls internal environment is heated by the powerful radio array built into its superstructure.
* All navigation is performed with a telescope, star chart, ruler, protractor, compass, pencil and paper, and a TI-89 calculator.
* Juhan launched the SuperBall on his birthday.
* The SuperBall has to be launched by dribbling it until it bounces high enough to escape gravity.
* The most technologically advanced device on the SuperBall is a semi-sentient iPod that Juhan uses to play music and news broadcasts.
* Fen Radio Live! is broadcast via radio signal to the nearest Interwave node where it is relayed to all of Fenspace.
* Juhan first began Fen Radio Live! because of his early failures to plot a trajectory that would intercept a planet or space station. After his first miss, not sure if he would survive, he began broadcasting a long rambling monologue, only interrupting with music when his throat became too dry to continue. He continued this broadcast for five and a half hours before a ship, attracted by his signal, gave him a tow to an inhabited planet. After that, he began broadcasting regularly on his approaches to planets or stations to ensure that someone would notice him and, if he missed his target, tow him to safety. This eventually developed into the Fenspace-spanning radio show known as Fen Radio Live!
* At last count, Juhan owes favors to nearly a fifth of all the spaceship captains in the solar system for tows. He usually tries to repay them either in drinks or free advertising.
*One of the popular segments of Fen Radio Live! is Juhans tendency to wander into space battles where, in the relative safety of the SuperBalls semi-invulnerable shell, hell provide a running commentary until knocked away.
~Freddy Isnot
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode
Re: Fen Radio Live! story teaser
This is a teaser for Fen Radio Live! If Jon (Herr Bad Moon) does not permit me to use The Inelegant Truth news service I will remove that. Everything else is, of course, dependent upon the community. Please provide criticism.

This is Fen Radio Live! bouncing at you at 10 percent the speed of light. And I do mean that literally! Your host, DJ John, is on his way to Mars at top speeds to give you listeners out there in the deep, dark corners of Fendom the scoop on the latest convention. Look forward to events described as they happen, interviews, and behind the scene peeks! As always, Ill be broadcasting live 24/7 with the assistance of my friend, the barely-legal stimulants medicine cabinet! And special thanks to the Phobos Interwave, graciously allowing Fen Radio Live! the bandwidth to keep the signal moving to you! Just dont tell them that! I swear well be legit one of these days!
Fen Radio Live! is brought to you by Powdermilk Biscuits, the biscuits in the bright, blue box with a picture of a biscuit on the front.
And now the news direct from The Inelegant Truth!
*click*
Juhan pulled slipped his headset off his ears to hang around his neck as the recorded news clip began playing. That gave him a three minute break. Plucking a plastic bag off of his ships round superstructure, he sipped some coffee through the bags straw to wet his palate and grimaced. Cold. Ah, the hardships of not having a ship large enough to hold a microwave. Returning the coffee to its former place he picked up a protractor instead. He located a few stars, and after measuring a few angles he jotted numbers onto a notepad. A few quick calculations and he verified his location and trajectory. He quit his stargazing as the blinking On Air sign warned him of the imminent end of the news and adjusted his headset to fit snuggly over his ears.
And now my favorite part of the day, Letters From YOU! Todays letter is from Joey Dobson of well, it says that he could tell me, but then hed have to kill me! Must be one of those crazy Ninja from the Hidden Villages. Crazy, but Ninjaburger is the only way I can get fed when Im in-between destinations.
Anyway, Joey writes, Dear DJ John, my village will soon start to accept towing requests as missions. Will I be able to get your autograph if we get a mission to tow the SuperBall? P.S. I look forward to killing you soon! Thanks Joey, I appreciate it. And sure youll be able to get my autograph, Ill have to sign the bill for the tow! Im glad to hear that a towing service is being created, I could have used that ages ago! Your village will almost definitely be getting a call from me, unless, of course, Im in pirate space. I remember the last time I saw a Pirate/Ninja battle, talk about hair-raising. I mean that was some epic clash!
I hope somebody on Mars is listening cuz Ill be coming in hot in the next forty minutes, and, as always, my ship has no brakes. Next up on the hour is a little music, and hey, it looks like my iPod is feeling humorous today, Crash by the Primitives just popped up on the shuffle. Enjoy the 30 minutes of commercial-free music, sentient beings. DJ John is taking a well-deserved panic attack!
*click*
Sighing, Juhan slipped off his headset and recheck his calculations and came up with the same results. Excepting divine intervention, the SuperBall was going to miss Mars by approximately 300 kilometers. Not bad in terms of relative distances in space, but in terms of his survival, not good. He sighed again, this was the eighth time this year.
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode
I'll have to check my charts when I get home, but off-hand, I can't see any reason not to go on any conventional FM frequency.
I suggest 104.2, since I'm a big believer in the Answer.
Lemme grind a bit on that and on callsign, but this looks coolWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
too late
oh, man. i am both happy and envious . . . mostly envious . . . that there's a story about a radio station in fenspace.
dang, i'm working on a fen radio program myself. but still, great stuff.
Man, still kinda bummed that you got this out first. You know, wouldn't this be a good time for a piece of rhubarb pie? Yes, nothing gets the taste of humiliation out of your mouth like Be Bop a Re Bop Rhubarb Pie.
But one little thing can revive a guy,
And that is home-made rhubarb pie.
Serve it up, nice and hot.
Maybe things aren't as futile as you thought.
Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb,
Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.
Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb,
Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.
-murmur
Re: too late
heh, you two should fight it out with duelling playlists!
...the question is, where do you pin the rose on a playlist?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: too late
Too late? Not so! FRL! is simply one man's efforts at survival on the edge of space. It really won't be a very elaborate show, the majority of it is him talking to himself while floating in space, the closest thing he has to a co-host would be his semi-intelligent iPod. I sure you can create a radio show with much more depth than mine. So far, I've begun outlining stories that only support the main storyline and flesh out the already created universe with nothing really new.
Murmur, if you would like to coordinate efforts, our hosts can split target audiences, or types of radio programs, or sectors of Fenspace. We can work to create radio personalities that are different and unique so that both shows are interesting.
Anyway, I really just want to have fun. Don't be bummed when there is still plenty of fun to be had.
~Freddy Isnot
-Freddy Isnot

-Zipcode
(Kokuten)
Quote:
I suggest 104.2, since I'm a big believer in the Answer.
I was about to point out that North American FM uses only the odd-numbered tenths of a megahertz (104.1 or 104.3)... then I remembered they use the even-numbered tenths in at least parts of Asia.
(murmur)
Quote:
dang, i'm working on a fen radio program myself. but still, great stuff.
There's very few people who listen to only one radio station.
Hmmmmm... So, let's start the bidding war: Which station wants the first three-month exclusive run of the "Red Lad" radio drama, with Kohran Li reprising the title role?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Fenspace Radio
While I haven't contributed much to fenspace (one of these days I'll finish the story bit I've been working on), one of the bits I have posted is my characters' homebase, a asteroid station called 'Babylon .5' in one of Earth's Legrange points. B.5 has a radio station as well (SFAN, don't think I specified a frequency).
p202.ezboard.com/my-stuff...D=28.topic
Sorry - haven't had brainpower one to contribute, I'll have a post explaining why in general, probably saturday or sunday.
hint: I'm terrified and exhilerated.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Fenspace Radio
Quote:
hint: I'm terrified and exhilerated.
You're gonna be on Survivor? Or maybe marriage or birth of a child.
Hmmm.... Zark, I hate guessing games.

Anyway, how did I miss the radio station on B.5? EzBoard's search function failed me. I look forward to seeing what you do with it, Timote. What type of shows will B.5 broadcast? You said music, news, traffic, and weather(Solar activity? If there is any solar activity, the radios won't work too well.). I guessing it will mostly be music, what kinds? Anime theme songs, filk, ? Will you air people singing in the showers? By the way, that is a great quirk.
This also answered one question for me. In space, radio stations call signs will begin with a "S".
~Freddy Isnot
-Freddy Isnot

-Zipcode