Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Question
Quick Question
I really shouldn't be allowed to think, I really shouldn't.
Can Handwavium create a Bolo? And would it be space worthy?
-Cindy
Bolo 'wave
Theoreticaly you could use handwavium to build a spaceworthy Unarmed Weapons Platform, and the supporting AI to go with it. Then all you would have to do is aquire the weapons.
As it is we could probably build a MK-II bolo Chasis using 'danetech. Add in a handwaved A.I. to support what ever you need thinks supported.
The local governments might want to know why you are building a vehicle the size of a city block ....
Re: Quick Question
Yeah, what 'e said. Building an unarmed armored vehicle, waving it for spaceflight & then acquiring hardtech artillery would work, though if you're doing it Earthside you'd probably run into a bunch of mundanes with no sense of humor.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Given that 'Wavium excels at making AI that are.. weird.. it's not beyond the pale that a _Bolo_ would be easy.
After all, a Bolo is more than the sum of it's weapons and armor - the true nature of the Bolo is incredible devotion to duty, invincible honor, and a dogged determination that would make a pit bull go 'woah'.
The chassis, as mentioned, is up to you.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
After all, a Bolo is more than the sum of it's weapons and armor - the true nature of the Bolo is incredible devotion to duty, invincible honor, and a dogged determination that would make a pit bull go 'woah'.
Very oddly, as much as I know that the Bolo's are meant to evoke a "male" image in the mind's eye of the reader in regards to their A.I. and as often as they are are referred to as "he" in the series in question (when not being called "it")...
All of a sudden I find myself wondering what kind of twist in the personality of the AI (and stories) would be produced if you had all of the above in a personality that just as vehemently I.D.'s itself as female? That produces a female voice with her vocoder equipment and when she refers to herself it's with a female set of pronouns?
-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Quote:
All of a sudden I find myself wondering what kind of twist in the personality of the AI (and stories) would be produced if you had all of the above in a personality that just as vehemently I.D.'s itself as female? That produces a female voice with her vocoder equipment and when she refers to herself it's with a female set of pronouns?
I asked Rev this question before I asked it here. He wondered what would happen if the AI turned out wrong. Example, instead of a self sacrificing save the humans type it was, his example, a pleasure droid.
-C-
Quote:
Example, instead of a self sacrificing save the humans type it was, his example, a pleasure droid.
Well, that would give other AIs a reason to visit Candy Apple Red's...
Another possible "bad" personality for a combat AI can be found on page 63 of GURPS IOU - Robocrat has one of the most powerful combat chassis on campus, but wants to be a paper-pusher. (Yes, he's a cyborg, not an AI - but the principle still holds.)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Well, that would give other AIs a reason to visit Candy Apple Red's...
Oh man, I didn't even _THINK_ of that aspect. AIs need lovin' too don't they?
Must get working on that. -Cindy
I seem to remember a 'female' Bolo or two in the original canon, my copies of which were lost in The Great Purge of '06 (tragic, truly tragic).

I can see an AI, female by nature, setting up shop at Red's. After all, Red isn't just a knock shop, they sell _companionship_, Amiright?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979