Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction
[META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction
This is in direct response to some people's vocal disapproval of my character coming up with a weapon. One of these people has said that "blowing up stuff for great justice" shouldn't be allowed; I think that the agreed-upon setting already allows it. Here is some of my reasoning:
First, on weapons in general: There's been some discussion about what the first major crossover storyline is going to be. Some people have taken to calling it "Fenspace: Season One". It's a war. More specifically, it's a war initiated by the SOS-dan. If "blowing up stuff for great justice" isn't allowed, then how the devil do the SOS-dan expect to be able to fight a war? Forbidding weapons necessarily makes the entire Convention thread non-canonical, by my logic.
Second, on 'waved weapons: Hulls treated with 'wavium are extremely resilient, to the point that they resist mundane weaponry. (They used to be inpenetrable, but that notion was out-voted.) Reavers attack ships for loot and prisoners. Ships that hit objects at the fractions of lightspeed that we've agreed ships use in Fenspace are destroyed, releasing energy in the megaton-equivalent range. A necessary corollary to these three data points is that reavers do not ram ships. If there are no weapons more powerful than mundane weaponry, then what are reavers using to reave?
Third, on 'wavium: As has already been shown in accepted Fenspace fic and mentioned in the above point, every 'waved ship is a weapon. As has been discussed, 'wavium is not intelligent. A necessary corollary to these two data points is that 'wavium cannot prevent itself from being used as a weapon. (Aside: I'll point out that I suggested putting a statement into the rules saying any 'waved weapon was a one-shot deal, but I was out-voted.)
In short, I can't reconcile "reavers" with "no weapons". We've already seen reavers in Fenspace - they underpin the first major story thread - so...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Messages In This Thread
[META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction - by robkelk - 01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Re: [META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction - by The Hunterminator - 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Re: [META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction - by Sirrocco - 01-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Re: [META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction - by Kokuten - 01-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Re: [META] Perceived Setting Assumption Contradiction - by Sirrocco - 01-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Re: Why you don't need explicit waved weapons - by KJ - 01-19-2007, 03:55 AM