Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News from the 'Danes
News from the 'danes
I finished the email from my father, and sat back to consider the implications. As a relative newcomer to Fenspace, having made my 'jump' on September 20th, 2009, I was not as socially in touch with my 'people' as I could have been.
However, the news from Earth, well, it had some interesting complications to the relatively happy existence the fen had been leading. I took a draft of my beer, and opened a new message.
To: nttp://fen.current-events.disc
Subject: Earth Technology Report - November 2012
To Whom it May Alarm.
I recently recieved an email from an anonymous source on the dirtball we call 'mamma'. In my source's usual inmitibal style, he has enlightened me upon the threats and problems that 'people like me' who 'love that anime junk' may face.
I assure you, while the source is not the least bit 'Fendly', and indeed are violently allergic to the 'wave, they are trustworthy.
In the United States, you may notice a lot more air traffic. It's there, and it's not gonna go away. Here's the fun part - the new birds are 'wavium enhanced. The U.S. government has finally started showing full scale results from it's experiments in Handwavium. We don't have exact figures, but the 200% performance increase is relatively stable across the board, except for ground pounders such as tanks. Apparently, the Keith Laumer _Bolo_ books made an impression on _someone_. The new tanks are still only 200% (estimated) faster, but that 200% puts them up to an approximate 300mph on good land. The weight of the tank has stayed the same, but the rumor mill has these tanks throwing almost seven times the range with three times the projectile weight as their immediate predecessors, which you may be familiar with from the Iraqi conflicts. The rumor mill had nothing to say about armor composition, strength, or thickness, other than this little beast represented the 'end of the weakness of the top'
My source only had a few choice tidbits for me from the rest of the world, but they are.. disturbing.. in their implications. In Germany, there is a new model of Panzer that has been shown driving through all manner of modern and ancient tank traps, with an almost elegant disregard for them. The tank is known on the rumor mill as 'juggernaut'.
Bits of France have been intermittently disappearing from the Internet, and noone has much of anything to say about why.
There have been several massive explosions in New Russia - and smaller explosions on the other side. Ballistic radar tracks appeared on the internet claiming that these were absurdly-long-range artillery tests. Planet-based KEW, anyone?
Africa is.. well, ask a Blue Blazer. My source said that there's been a whole LOT of fresh green coming up recently. I wonder what's happening down there...
My Source, and my Self, remind you that the Earth is a dangerous place, no matter what your errand. Be Careful, and can someone pick me up a carton of smokes next time you're down?

Yours in Discord,
Wire GeekWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: News from the 'danes
A note - this is a minor bunny that popped in while I was reading the rules and getting myself prepared for an entry submission. What's going to happen for the 'danes with Wavium available? yes, the governments are going to lock down Wavium as best they can, but what's going to happen once they _apply_ it?
The way I see it, the stereotypical government is going to take longer to implement Handwavium, is going to get worse results, and is going to have a _LOT BETTER_ end result because they can mix the hardtech and the 'wave with emphasis on the hardtech...
More in my entry submission, please respond with C&C.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
A note - this is a minor bunny that popped in while I was reading the rules and getting myself prepared for an entry submission. What's going to happen for the 'danes with Wavium available? yes, the governments are going to lock down Wavium as best they can, but what's going to happen once they _apply_ it?
Well... in the original brief they weren't going to get better, faster killing machines.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
There *is* the "no inherently weaponized handwavium" factor. Also, there is the bit about handwavium tending to have unique effects. Beyond that, though, this seems like a fine thing, but not just yet. It's not time for this plot arc. Might be a decent one for plot arc after next, though.
This arc: The Boskonians, and resistance against same.
Next arc: (as a thought) In the fight with the Boskonians, a whole lot of people pulled out their unique little aces in the hole and used them. Now people start considering the *implications* of these things, and reacting... strongly. Dane intel and influence interest and assets in Fenspace grow. People start trying to seriously influence the overall sociopolitical structure of Fenspace. Lots of people, in different directions. Chaos results.
Arc afterwards: Fenspace settles down into somehting of a new equilibrium - just in time for the folks downstairs to start rolling out the results of their extensive experimentation. Governmental bodies of previously handwavium-restrictive states become *far* more powerful in comparison with their people because they have the wave to work with, and the knowledge of how to use it, and the people largely don't. The fragile and artificial peace that the world below managed to maintain snaps under the weight of dramatic shifts in relative power. There are some echoing reverberations in the firmament, as the conflicts loosed on Earth are loosed in Heaven, but mostly people are looking down in concern. The Banzais are swamped with relief work like just about every other NGO out there. Some Fen join up. Others try to save what they can. Others turn their backs on the squabbles of earth and just try to avoid getting involved too badly.
Of course, only the first is actually set. I just got inspired, and thought I'd throw it out there. Likely the next two arcs will be wildly different from what I'm suggesting.
Then this just gets put back in 'the bin' until it's needed.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
This is exactly the sort of thing the TSAB was founded to create. I don't think they're there yet. [Image: smile.gif] --
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
This is exactly the sort of thing the TSAB was founded to create
Yah, this whole thing was my fault - I jumped the plot arc, since, well, the plot arc wasn't in any way marked..
M. Fnord, you have an email address? I have a minor request email sitting in my brainbox for you.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
M. Fnord, you have an email address? I have a minor request email sitting in my brainbox for you.
I can be reached at mrfnord @ amigo . net (by the rites of text recognition I abjure thee, spambots!)---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Fault? There is no fault here. We have a new entry to the idea box, and one that (while it will likely be some time in coming) seems to have some interesting possibilities associated with it. This is not a reason for handing out fault.
many of the enhancements mentioned are possible without involving weaponized handwavium. Upgraded engines and armor to increase speed/manuverability and survivability.
the offensive part of the equation, well as stated, that will be after the Boskonian war, so the Danes would have some data on what's possible weapon-wise.__________________
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin.