Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another bunny.
Yet another bunny.
For your consideration:
These series of stories that about what we are calling "Fenspace" is not Earth's first encounter with the "plot device" known as Handwavium. It may not even be the second or third.
Handwavium encounters in the past maybe, and probably are, responsible for the various pantheons of collected myths scattered about the globe.
Egyptians, Asians, Africans, Austrailian, Hindu, Aztec, Mayan, even native North Americans have their anthropomorphic dieties, and assorted artifacts.
In fact most of these have managed to survive (in some form) to the present. They might even recognize Handwavium when they see it. They probably know a few applications that most fen haven't encountered yet. They would certainly be able to pass for biomodded Fen.
Now immagine the reaction when they find that their descendents can be affected by further Biomodding.
Re: Yet another bunny.
I don't think it fits with fenspace as written so far. What would the egyptian gods have done over the last 5000 years or so to hide? If you go down that path you might get hybrid theory (which while very good is not fenspace)
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
however...
That having been said, if you feel inspired to write Fenspace fanfiction, I don't think anyone here would object at all. I don't think it belongs on *this* board, but you could certainly put it on "Other People's Fanfiction", and I personally would be interested in reading it.
Re: however...
Yaknow... While Handwavium does endow people with interesting abilities, last I checked it made no one Immortal. If the Egyptian or Whatever Gods were Handwavium Biomods, they would have died eventually, but certainly not before their mark was made.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Actually, the Longs subfaction of the Heinleinians are trying for long-life biomods, if not actual immortality.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
There's certainly no limitation saying that it *couldn't* - and "head of various animals" is a heck of a quirk to have to live with.
"The difference is, I make this look *good*."
"What, having the head of an ibis?"
"Yes."
*falls down laughing*
Cute, Sirrocco. [Image: smile.gif]
And I don't see why handwavium couldn't extend to long life/immortality. Just a matter of tweaking how the body reacts, and gods know it does that very well....*chuckle*...says the twelve-year-old forty-three-year-old. With the monkey's tail. Hmmm.
(...who honestly wonders if it's tweaked HIS lifespan, too. But no way of knowing that for four or five decades yet. Though if I don't hit puberty until fifteen, sixteen, or later, it might be a hint.)
Besides, anyone can say they have immortality via a biomod. So far the setting has what, seven years of internal history? That's not really a sufficient time span to confirm or deny claims of immortality. When we start reaching 100+ years of story-world history, we can start seriously evaluating the immortality claims. But for now, who cares if someone says they're immortal? It doesn't make a difference to the current story.
That said, I do like the idea of partly-human looks as a quirk to immortality mods. There's something just nicely twisted about that.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Quote:
What would the egyptian gods have done over the last 5000 years or so to hide?
After 5000 years of life and no natural end in sight?
I'd be hiding the fact that I'm still alive after 5000 years.
Why? because Old men, in positions of power and wealth, will be looking (with very jealous eyes) for my secrets, for my cachets of liquifiable wealth and, to have me killed.
Well, like was said, it's cetainly an interesting idea for an alt-uni. It's also reasonably plausible. If you want to write it up, then please do feel free, and let us know when/where you post it, so we can take a look. Still, it's a significantly different premise than the one we're working with here, and doesn't really belong as part of Fenspace proper.
One question-block exists, though, that you *would* have to answer before you got this one running (though not neccessarily to *us*). Handwavium is really quite useful. It can also be easily reproduced, given appropriate conditions. The world has had a number of times where it would have been trivial for someone with a decent working knowledge and a decent supply of handwavium to set themselves up as gods, build up a power base, and live the good life for a while - particularly while the religion they spawned was still going on. You could even keep your ears to the ground for incoming inquisition teams and get out while the getting was good - and if handwavium-reinforced plate is proof against small arms fire, it'll more than protect against any weapons they could have fielded in the Dark Ages. Obviously, the Egyptian Gods are not averse to living as gods, and their skills at various things like intrigue and influence must have been seriously impressive after the first few hundred years. Why would they not have done this? If they had done this, then why would we have no stories of it? Why would they have been coming out of the woodwork now?
Hmm. They got bored, maybe? Or they might've found a way to make spaceships for themselves, and headed off for space. After all, if you've got a few thousand years to play with, and handwavium to hand, they could've come up with anything. Who knows....someone exploring out there might run across them (Paging Jack O'Neill. Would Jack O'Neill please pick up the red courtesy phone...?). it would certainly add some...spice...to finding new planets.
Hm. While I agree that 'egyptian biomods' shouldn't be canon for the setting, I do have an idea for a solution:
Biomods, of any sort, need at least trace amounts of handwavium in their diet to keep them from entering a coma. If they get some afterwards, they recover with no or limited ill effects.
Of course, a variant where the withdrawl is fatal would be even simpler, but that doesn't seem to be what is sought.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"