Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[For Submission] Cavalier Concerts
[For Submission] Cavalier Concerts
Early Spring, 2011

John Clark, Blue Blazer Irregular 745 (known as "Johnny B. Goode" by his fellows)
sipped his yerba mate and watched Kandor wake up. Idly, he thumbed the scrollball on his Blackberry, paging through his emails and schedule for the day. It
was, disturbingly, empty. Especially for a Blue Blazer.

There were plenty of things he could do to fill his time, even disregarding the sort of
slothful lazing about that Buckaroo discouraged. Buckaroo encouraged self-motivation and productive use of time, and while he did understand that sometimes
doing nothing is the most productive activity that you can do, he did have a tendency to call you up and ask for help with something if you spent more time
doing nothing rather than something. The projects on the Big Board in the Kandor branch of the Banzai Institute all had sections that he could contribute to,
and the Biggest Board on the Institute forum has several brainstorming topics that he was offering suggestions on, but in all of those situations, he was a
contributing opinion, not a planner.

Johnny needed to be a planner. He was good at it. He knew how to organize people; in his
life in the Really, Real World, he had organized conventions, stage productions, and managed a movie theater for a number of years, before he took himself up
and out to Do Some Good. The problem was that he wasn't a technical expert, and when the plans on the Biggest Board got into the nitty gritty, he got lost.
And it left him stuck on the sidelines, without an idea to organize.

There had to be something, he thought. Something that I can direct, that I can organize.
I've offered my skills for the Convention, but that's not going to take any sort of time. I do that stuff in my sleep. I need something else, something
I can really sink my teeth into….

A fanfare of notes broke his train of thought. Looking up and out across the street, Johnny
saw a rough second line of five jazz musicians marching down the street towards Lake Tezuka for some sort of impromptu concert. They were pretty good, and a number of folks got caught up
as the quintet sauntered down the sidewalk, clapping their hands and cheering. Johnny watched them as they crossed in front of the café and headed down the
street. An idea was germinating in his brain. A good idea. No, scratch that, it was a Good Idea. He fumbled for his go phone and punched in the first speed
dial code. It answered on the second ring.

"Johnny B. Goode, what can I do for you today?" Buckaroo's warm voice held no
surprise at the call, even though it was unexpected.

"I have an idea, Buckaroo. I think it's a good one."

"An idea? Ideas are always good, Johnny. Lay it on me."

When Johnny had finished laying out the Good Idea, he said, "It's rough, but I
think it can be done."

"I think it's an excellent idea, Johnny. Get me a proposal and get it on the
Biggest Board."

"Seriously?"

"I'm always serious about ideas, Johnny. Show me what you got, and we'll see
where it goes."

"Where should we put it?"

"Deimos," said Buckaroo. "Put it on Deimos."

Cavalier Concerts

Cavalier Concerts is the dreamchild of organizer, promoter, and Blue Blazer Irregular, John
Clark, aka Johnny B. Goode. As a young man, Johnny dreamed of being a rock 'n' roll star, but he turned out to be a better
manager than a musician, and his skills turned him towards organizing large public events. Some time in 2009, he got ahold of some handwavium, followed the
open source plans for a flying HHR, and took to the stars, intent on doing something meaningful. With a public-minded spirit and a desire to help people, he
ended up with the Banzai Institute very quickly.

Cavalier Concerts books, transports, and promotes musical shows in the Fenspace. Between
conception of the idea in early 2011 and mid-2012, when the initial project was completed (see below), Johnny helped set up a number of club venues in Kandor,
Utopia Planitia, and Crystal Tokyo, as well as several intimate shows on Stellvia (including the "Sounding Board" Concert put on by the crew of the
World Watch One) and Nouveau Paris. Johnny has contacts with a number of recording companies, music agencies, and musicians, and once he picked up his
"Fleet" and was capable of providing transportation, he picked up a number of stars who were willing to perform for a share of ticket sales and an
opportunity to see Earth from the topside.

In mid-2012, with the help of Hephaestos and the Rockhounds, construction completed on
the Clark Savage, Jr. Memorial Stadium and Music Complex. Build near the Roadhouse,
the Stadium seats approximately 20,000, with room for the more in the mosh/orchestra pit. A restaurant/bar, called "Ham & Monk's," provides
reasonable food of the American bar & grill variety (raw foodstuffs imported from Mars planetside), and is noted for having the "Best Monte Cristo in
Fenspace." Another bar, known as "Long Tom's," is noted for a collection of refurbished, classic arcade games. Both satellite areas have
state-of-the-art (and possibly handwaved) sound systems, plus closed-circuit television hooked up to the main stage, as well as secondary stages for more
intimate concerts. A third area, which is not officially named but is generally known as "Renny & Johnny's" is a private recording studio
area, with four recording areas of varying sizes that Cavalier Concerts rents out to musicians who want to record music in Fenspace. (The first non-Fenspace
group to use this was the band Dethklok, to record tracks for their second album, "Metalfen." Brandon Smalls, creator of Dethklok, pronounced the
facilities as "awesome." Nathan Explosion was not available for comment.)

A small, attached complex serves as a private guest suite for any performers. It sleeps 25
people (more if they're on intimate terms), and access is controlled by Cavalier Concerts security staff (all of whom are Blue Blazers who have concert and
convention security experience).

Cavalier Concerts maintains a small fleet of vehicles for company use. Four touring buses
(http://www.staleycoach.com/52555%20A.htm) that
have been handwaved with a batch derived from World Watch One's starter vat transport bands to and from Earth, and a handwaved Cadillac limousine is used
to transport visiting performers to Mars or Phobos for post-concert leisure activities.

Performers

Johnny B. Goode maintains a certain level of required behavior from his contracted acts. He
doesn't mind a post-concert party or some good fun, but he does remind some of the more "gangsta" or "hardcore" acts that he books that
most of the inhabitants of Fenspace are just as armed as the performers might be, and many will not think twice about defending themselves. Riders on all
contracts enforce certain rules and responsibility for damage to Cavalier Concerts property. (Johnny has no problem with spills, stains, and the occasional
broken lamp, but he draws the line having performers set fire to things in his guest quarters. His exact words on the matter, to an E! Television journalist
were, "I don't come into their houses and [bleep] on their waterbed. That's not cool. They should have the same respect for my house as I do for
theirs.") As far as the public eye is concerned, there have been no major incidents regarding this policy, but neither the Banzai Institute nor the record
labels have said anything beyond vague pleasantries and general approval of each other.

The 2012 season featured the following guests:

August 1, 2012
- Johnny B. Goode faced the stadium crowd, packed to Standing Room Only from the pit all the way up to the cheap
seats. "Ladies and Gentlemen; Fen of all Factions. Welcome to the Clark Savage, Jr. Memorial Stadium! I'm Johnny B. Goode, and I am pleased to present
the first in what I hope is the first in a long line of concerts and other events. Now, please, put your hands together and welcome the man who will go down in
history as the first rockstar to perform in Fenspace. I give you… "Weird" Al Yankovic!"

"Weird" Al Yankovic is indeed known as the first rock musician to perform in
Fenspace, although his show was preceded by Jonathan Coulton playing at "Long Tom's" the week before. Johnny could think of no better person to
open his first season of concerts.
[From here, I need suggestions for additional musicians. Who do you think should play in
Fenspace? Keep in mind, that in addition to Weird Al and Jonathan Coulton, Dethklok will be playing in the Fall of 2012.]
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I recommend the latest "Western Idol Singer:" whoever replaced Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, or the High School Musical crews as the Gee-whiz
kid-friendly act, as well as the 2013 lineup of Morning Musume.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

In our timeline, rumour has it that both Moby and Dave Navarro have said http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Galactic#Bookings]they want to head Up on SpaceShipTwo - they'd be naturals to play Deimos. But not on the same bill.

And if you can book Weird Al, then you can book the Barenaked Ladies.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

True to form, I must suggest the Red Elvises. [Image: happy.gif]
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Linkin Park are anime fans, so they could be willing to pop up.

Blue Oyster Cult or any of the other 70s/80s bands with SF influences comes to mind.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm pretty sure that Coldplay and Keane would be more than happy to perform in Fenspace. ^_^ Probably Muse as well, and maybe the Red Hot Chili Peppers. (Can you imagine them playing Stadium Arcadium up there? Heee!)

(thread ressurection - go!)

Another group for the inagural season, after they've visited Vulpine Fury's Puppetworks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillaz]Gorillaz
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
One word:
GWAR.

Oh... HELL FUCKIN' YEAH!!! ^o^V

Quote: Duane Peters wrote:

GWAR.

Okay, but somebody else's is cleaning out the mosh pit after the concert... Smile
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Green Day is another possibility.