Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DRAFT] The Roughriders
[DRAFT] The Roughriders
Here I go again on my owwwnnn....

Sorry, had to do that. ^_^;;

Anyhow, again, rough draft. Comment, kibitz and heckle please. Things I'm looking to add are new characters as Big Name Roughriders, key battles, and
other sundry goodies. Thanks in advance.

The Roughriders

It was during the SOS-Con that Haruhi Suzimiya, leader of the SOS-Dan, cornered Benjamin
Rhodes in a back alley as he was trying to escape a mob of femme-fen and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Benjamin, being a smart individual, made a counter offer and gained himself an SR-71
Blackbird in the process.

That secured, Benjamin then used the money that he had saved up from winnings in
asteroid races to purchase the services of the Rockhounds to begin the outfiting of his residence and base of operations on 36 Atalante. He had selected the asteroid due to its size and how the name seemed to fit. It was when
he took delivery of the Blackbird that it occurred to him that while there were definitely factions that had their militant sides, there was no particular
faction with a dedicated fighting force geared for the sort of prolonged, fighter-craft oriented action that the SOS-Dan was calling for.

Benjamin and his faithful, if combative AI, Regina Langley began doing research and soon
discovered the existence of a viable mass-produced space fighter, the F-EZig. Based on Associated Composite's
design of the Long EZ pusher-type personal aircraft kit, it was a fast fightercraft that was so tiny that several could be carried by a Blackbird and released
into a furball. The biggest plus was that after releasing the tiny menaces, the Blackbird itself was still a force to
be reckoned with due to the planned weapons loadout for the ship that would become the Magnificent Midnight.

Even so, Ben and Gina figured that the Blackbird could only carry four F-EZigs, so
further plans were laid down for more Blackbirds. When Benjamin approached Haruhi and Kyon with their plan for
expansion Haruhi was thrilled but Kyon was pragmatic about it. He pointed out that after the adventure involved in
acquiring Lackland AFB's Blackbird that it would probably be taken as an act of war by the 'Danes if the act was repeated.

Gina then came up with the idea of manufacturing their own Blackbirds. Using information acquired over the course of the Midnight's refit and handwaviumization, they struck a deal between
the Rockhounds, Hephaestus, Gnarlycurl, and the SOS-Dan to rush-build five more Blackbirds and twenty-four F-EZigs to fill out their fleet,
plus spare parts and facilities to maintain the new fleet. 36 Atalante certainly had the space for it.

What followed was an orgy of controlled chaos as 36 Atalante became the home base of the
Roughriders. Soon after operations commenced, Benjamin had taken a strike team out to respond to a peculiar mayday
signal that had been received on the high-gain antenna. At first, when they discovered the source of the mayday, they
thought that the USSR Ptichka had come under a Boskonian ambush. They were even more surprised when they
discovered the truth: the ship was a NASA mockup that had been handwaviumized by a group of school children from an orphanage and the damn thing had suddenly
taken off with them onboard!

Since a biodome was currently under construction on 36 Atalante, he decided to take in
the erstwhile crew of Fen-kinder and their shuttle, named Pegasus. What he had expected the least was that
each of the children were all very brilliant due to the cross-contamination biomods they received over the course of their adventure. This, subsequently, led to the establishment of The Roughrider's science division, which dedicated itself to the intelligence
side of their OGJ operations, and then afterwards did the majority of science missions from NASA and other sundry organizations.

During Operation: Great Justice, The Roughriders of 36 Atalante were pivotal in dropping
the hammer on Thionite trade between the inner and outer systems, putting down raids on Belter communities, and making their own raids on established Boskonian
bases.

Post OGJ, though the organization behind the Boskonians had been shattered, the Sol
System was still a dangerous place. With that in mind, The Roughriders became a mercenary force. With 36 Atalante awarded to The Roughriders for their courageous services (Ben didn't see the point since he'd laid legal
claim to it anyways) Benjamin sought to expand their coverage by using profits to establish bases in the inner and outer systems, as well as bases outside of
the Sol System as soon as self-sufficient out-of-system colonies were established.

To this day, The Roughriders remain a household name that symbolizes courage,
determination, and sheer grit. They are recognized by other big factions such as the Trekkies, Warsies, Stelvians, Blue
Blazers, and Heinlinians to be the people to call upon when you need a force of crack-shot fighter jocks that have no idea what the meaning of fear is.

Well, since no one has had anything to say on this whatsoever, I'll just take it that means that it's good as is.

I've got a question, if I may? (and if it's already been answered elsewhere, feel free to point and laugh [Image: smile.gif])

Is there a particular reason for using the Blackbird model? 'cause, frankly, while it's Very Cool, it was not exactly intended for anything other than
high-speed recon in its original design, and that sets up trouble for conversion down the road.

Yes, the 'wavium can do wonders, and I'm sure the converted Blackbird is maneuverable (original was not) and fast (original was, but it, uh, -leaked-
[Image: smile.gif]) and loaded to the gills with weapons (again, not) and all that... but why go to all that hassle? I mean, a 'waved Hercules, just as an example, would
be able to carry, at a guess, all 24 of those mini-fighters. And you could -buy- one of those, instead of having to have it scratch built. -AND- it's
already designed to drop things in-flight. Etc.

Don't get me wrong, I've been an SR-71 fan since I saw my first one yyyeaaars ago. But... I just don't Get It, I guess. You're describing a
hell of a lot of hassle just to get a fleet together for the purpose of Laying Down Smack, and that's great, but it seems it'd be much quicker and
easier and cheaper to use a different spaceframe.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

The other problem with the Blackbird is, X-Men depictions to the contrary, it's got pretty much zero cabin space, at least as far as I understand it.
You'd have more room to live in a waved Hyundai.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Just noticed... The Stellvians would be more likely to turn to Azu Squadron than the Roughriders for fast-assault ops, if only because of the close ties and
personnel integration between Stellvia and the VVS. Other than that, I have no problems with this.

(The cargo space in the Blackbirds is obviously made available from the engine refit. The smaller engines used in place of the original larger engines go
faster once they're 'waved, right? )
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Sofaspud:
The Blackbird has one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any aircraft. Anything else was really something else entirely (Rockets, SCRAM jets). Also the Blackbird does possess inherent stealth capabilities with no extra fuss required.
No, a Herc wouldn't be able to pull that off. F-EZigs are small, but they aren't that small. A C-5 on the other hand...  Besides, I have two reasons for the small capacity.  1) These are fast-attack groups put together with hit-and-run tactics in mind.  And 2) I already got an idea for a super-carrier.  How does a B-52 sound?
Bob:
Rob's right, we got rid of the flying gastank by making the engines smaller and a helluva lot more efficient with the Wave. Besides, the new ones are going to be meant for quick hit-and-run missions, so there isn't going to be any living space on there. As for Midnight, I've already mentioned that the living space on her is cramped.
Rob:
No problems there. I was only saying that the Stelvians recognize The Roughriders as a force to be reckoned with, not necessarilly that they are their go-to people.

I don't know what the F-EZigs dimensions are, so I took a wild guess. But if you're fitting four of them in a deployable configuration in a Blackbird,
I'd be forced to assume they are -tiny-.

(And no, the engine replacement wouldn't matter much to that -- on a Blackbird, the engines are wing-mounted; swapping them out for smaller ones isn't
going to affect your cargo space much *grin*)

So yeah, I assumed they were either top or bottom center-launch deployables, either in a 2x2 'drop-box' style or possible some sort of revolving
configuration (like what's depicted in so many movies for the F-117A). There's room for that, barely, in a Blackbird, if you 'wave enough stuff and
thereby get rid of a lot of the hardtech.

As for the stealth... the Blackbird is about as stealthy as a flying barn; it didn't so much evade detection as it outran retaliation [Image: smile.gif]. Again, the
'wave can fix that -- it's the concept that counts, right? The bird was built with stealth in mind, it just didn't succeed at it -- but prior to
wave treatment it'd show up on anything except the Mark I Eyeball like a Christmas tree. [Image: smile.gif]

It still seems like an awful lot of work to me, though. I mean, your deal, do the work if you want, it just seems more hassle than it'd be worth, except
for bragging rights.

Then again, bragging rights are a major currency of Fenspace... heh.

Edit to add: meant to point out my objection, such as it is, isn't for the original conversion -- the personal transport / Mama Bird -- as it is for the
idea of scratch-building a whole fleet of identical models. Just clarifyin'.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I should probably put this info into the wiki for the F-EZig, but the dimensions and mass are in the original RFC post

http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/4236

They've got a wingspan of 26.1 feet (7.8m) and total length of ~16.8 feet (5.1m).

--

Indeed. Never mind no animal protein, it's practically free of natural ingredients. (This leaves, of course, the unnatural ingredients.)
-- Roger Burton West

... a wingspan of 26.1 feet?

Howinhell are you fitting ANY of them in a Blackbird? Or is this a scaled-up Blackbird and I missed that somehow?

(Can the 'wave do 'bigger inside than outside', like a TARDIS? Not sure on that...)

--sofaspud

I *think* the idea was the Zigs would be parasitic, riding on top of the fuselage like the D-21 hypersonic drone was supposed to. Not that that worked out all
that well in real life, but with the wave many things are possible.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Oh, well, if we're talking carrying outside, ignore me -- I'm an idiot. [Image: smile.gif] I seriously thought internal storage was the intent, and was like
"Cool, but, bwuh?"

Feel free to ignore me, then. Objections withdrawn. [Image: smile.gif]

--sofaspud

*Chuckles* It's cool. I'm guilty of making such mistakes myself. Really, I should do a good write-up for the class and mention the carry-method for the
F-EZigs.