Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Disturbing Implications..." scene snippet: The irony of Sora

(Let's try that agian - maybe Yuku won't screw up the formatting this time...)

Since Bob hasn't had a chance to write the story around this scene in the last fifteen months (too busy with DW V, I assume), and it does give one
of my characters some development, I thought I'd share it...

Spot the reference to this scene in http://fnord.sandwich.net/fenwiki/doku. ... gwo_sora_1]Into the Great Wide Open: First Impressions.

Time: the launch of Grovers' Corners, just after Noah and Sora have left the Epsilon Blade and met Bob &co.

I was about to turn around and look for some more golf carts on the horizon when I noticed one of the women from the Epsilon Blade had a deathgrip on Mr. Scott. I walked over quickly and asked, "What's wrong?"

She was whispering, and there was a ragged edge to her voice. "... big ... too big ... where's the ceiling? ... where's the walls? ..."

"It's okay, Sora; I'm right here." Mr. Scott was talking to her, and stroking her hair, the way I do with Luna after she's had a nightmare. "There's nothing to be afraid of." Then he looked at me. "Mr. ... Schroeck, was it?"

"That's right. I gather that Sora's an agoraphobe?"

"She might become one if we don't handle this properly. Sora has spent her entire life in spaceships or my space station; she's not emotionally ready for all this." He used one hand to gesture at the back forty while keeping his other arm around Sora. "I should have thought of that before asking her to come on this trip."

She's spent her entire life in enclosed spaces? Sora needed help, and not just for the agoraphobia. I looked at her and said, "If you can stand the
trip into town, Kat'll be able help you. Can you manage to last that long, Sora?"

"... I'll try ..."

"Atta-girl," whispered Mr. Scott gently. "You can do it. I know you can."

"... you're sure? ..."

"I'm sure. I programmed your personality routines myself, remember? I believe in you. I'm sure you don't need to power down for a little trip across an open field."

Power down? That was different - although Sora still needed to talk with Kat. I looked at the others to discover they were as surprised as I was to learn that Sora was an AI.

Which opens the possibility of a B-plot focusing on Kat and Sora. I like giving lesser-used characters spotlight time...

(What? "What's the irony?" Translated from Japanese, "Sora" means "Sky".)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by robkelk - 10-01-2008, 12:47 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 10-04-2008, 11:14 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 10-04-2008, 11:43 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 10-05-2008, 08:25 AM