Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[story][Fenspace Alternates] The South Is Rising, Someone Get A Hammer

Seems to be a consensus for JUST the USA. Can we get official declaration of what territories swap? I know at LEAST the lower 48 from "our timeline (OTL)" is swapped, and a couple of Mexican states, but what about Hawaii, Cuba, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the various "Commonwealth" Territories?

With Alaska and Hawaii still "uptime" there's at least SOMEWHERE for the various deployed service men and women to go "home" to while things settle. Pearl Harbor for the Fenspace-setting Navy, and one of the cold-weather training camps in Alaska at least for the Army.

Are the territories that swap just the ones considered fully part of the countries in TL-191 at the time?

*Tries to prod muse for "TL-191 First Fen"*

Besides "Whole World" changeover makes Earth simultaneously better and worse for Fen. "Better" is no restrictions on the Wavetech. "Worse" is that every nation on earth would potentially be hostile. While the VVS might get a kick out of picking on Greenwood's residents that the US of TL-191 is practically Soviet, the Army would be salivating to get a hold of "Mysterion" tech.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:Seems to be a consensus for JUST the USA. Can we get official declaration of what territories swap? I know at LEAST the lower 48 from "our timeline (OTL)" is swapped, and a couple of Mexican states, but what about Hawaii, Cuba, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the various "Commonwealth" Territories?

With Alaska and Hawaii still "uptime" there's at least SOMEWHERE for the various deployed service men and women to go "home" to while things settle. Pearl Harbor for the Fenspace-setting Navy, and one of the cold-weather training camps in Alaska at least for the Army.

Are the territories that swap just the ones considered fully part of the countries in TL-191 at the time?

The earlier draft of the story had just the lower-48 being swapped out, not Alaska and Hawaii. That left the governors of Alaska and Hawaii as the joint executives of what was left of Fen|USA, including the US possessions in the south Pacific. (It also let the Pacific Fleet keep its home port, and gave StellviaOil and Wonderland Farms some place to make deliveries to in order to keep said fleet running. Logistics were assumed to be organized for the other fleets, but were never specified.) Canada wasn't swapped - that gave 191|USA a shock when they tried to exert power over what they thought were their Canadian territories. No word on Cuba or Puerto Rico.

However, that's subject to change now that we've rebooted...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Whaddya think, sirs?
Very nice. I like lots.
Quote:Seems to be a consensus for JUST the USA. Can we get official declaration of what territories swap? I know at LEAST the lower 48 from "our timeline (OTL)" is swapped, and a couple of Mexican states, but what about Hawaii, Cuba, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the various "Commonwealth" Territories?
Depends on the ineffable/assholish motives of the Alien Space Bats.

If they want it to look like a natural event, pick a central point and do everything in a certain radius that includes that lower 48. This will of course take big chunks of Canada and Mexico/Central America.

If they want anyone with two brain cells to rub together to realize it was a deliberate act, follow the political borders. Since some of those are arbitrary imaginary lines, it will be obvious that an Intelligence made the swap happen.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Seems to be a consensus for JUST the USA.

This is the consensus standing as of right now:

World USA Unknown
---------------------------------------------
Dakota Foxboy Rob
Mal Dartz Bob
Firvulag blackaeronaut
ECSNorway
Jinx
StarRanger4
RodH
Ebony
CobaltGreywalker
JFerio

The people under "Unknown" haven't made their preferences known yet, So far USA-only shift has a slight lead, but with so many voters undecided...

Quote:Can we get official declaration of what territories swap? I know at LEAST the lower 48 from "our timeline (OTL)" is swapped, and a couple of Mexican states, but what about Hawaii, Cuba, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the various "Commonwealth" Territories?

I need to dig up a map of the IZ, but off the top of my head Hawaii and Alaska stay where they are, Cuba is part of the Confederacy so it comes along for the ride, the rest of the US commonwealths stay put.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

I'd have to say that my preference is for just the US to have been swapped out... mostly because part of the storyline can be some of the Fen trying to help pick up the pieces elsewhere on the planet. Things can be a lot more chaotic on the ground, unlike a whole planet swap where more countries can actually band together against the Fen who suddenly appeared in space and raise the spectre of 'damned alien invasions'.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

I actually have no preference either way...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Some comments and questions I'd like to bounce off of the lot of you in regards to this discussion of "Is it just the US that's swapped out or more?" Let's see what sticks to the wall, shall we?
So in the original version, the "lower 48" and a couple of states of Mexico are swapped out with 191.
Not any part of Canada at all?
That's VERY interesting.
See - I can understand Hawaii and Alaska not being taken along for the "ride" if this was the result of a dimensional "accident". You'd have to have more than one "accident" take place. Unless the dimensional field radius was big enough. If it was big enough to include Hawaii and Alaska, and it followed a regular circular (or globe - the field might swap out everything below the surface too to a depth of hundreds of miles) wavefront then you'd be dragging the entirety of Canada and Mexico along for the ride as well. No - scratch that. If it was a field big enough to encompass the lower 48, Alaska and Hawaii, it would be big enough to take the entire North American continent, a good chunk of South America, and possibly as far out as Iceland, depending on where the centerpoint of the dimensional field was.
If the field was only large enough to encompass the "lower 48" in a globe of effect radiating from a single point, it would likely still take about half of Canada and Mexico with it. (Maybe even Cuba, Jamaica and Bermuda as well? Haven't looked at a globe or able to draw this out.)
But here's where it gets even more interesting. From everything I've read so far, the border of the dimensional swap ends right on the border between Canada and the US. It's implied that it follows the coastline as well.
That's no circular event effect. That's specific and intelligent. That's a major plan right there.
So - HOW? And WHY? Those are the two biggest mysteries. Maybe a WHO is involved as well.
I suggest that it be worked out, at least in thumbnail fashion as a background element. You don't have to write it as a story element. (Or you can allude to it, but you may only want to hang a lampshade on it via characters doing some wild-ass theorizing like what we're doing here.)
Another minor thought: If this is literally swapping out chunks of land from one timestream to another, consider this -
There have been a number of earthquakes that have happened in our timeline that have not yet happened in the 191 timeline. Because they are about 70 years behind. What's the effect when the parts of the San Andreas faultline get "unhooked" from the parts of the tectonic plates that go beyond the borders of the field effect?
Might both the 191 USA and the Fen-USA in the other dimension have to deal with a massive earthquake in each version of Southern California? What about the Mississippi river plate? Or the one in New England?
How -deep- does the effect extend to? Does it intersect the magma layer of the Earth? How far out from the coast? The Great Lakes? I have this image of lava seeping up from the bottom of Lake Superior and out at the edge of the continental shelf...

The centerpoint was 35deg50' N, 98deg 35' W, roughly in the center of the lower 48. Approximate radius of the effect was 2100km, which covers the contiguous US plus a fair bit more. However, the effect is not perfectly spherical, and follows the borders of the United and Confederate States more or less exactly ( some ocean for the claimed waters).

As for who, how and why.
Who: Alien Space Bats

How: Undetermined, but probably involving Q-like powers or something that can fake Q-like powers.

Why: Because they can.

...and that's all that needs to be said about that. After managing the shift, the Space Bats are sitting back with a tub of Cosmic Being popcorn and watching the action.

Quote:The centerpoint was 35deg50' N, 98deg 35' W, roughly in the center of the lower 48. Approximate radius of the effect was 2100km, which covers the contiguous US plus a fair bit more. However, the effect is not perfectly spherical, and follows the borders of the United and Confederate States more or less exactly ( some ocean for the claimed waters).

I forgot about using Google Earth at first. But plugging those parameters in, I revise my earlier statements. If the area of effect weren't hugging borders (and coastlines to a lesser degree) then it wouldn't be taking "half" of Mexico. It would undoubtedly take all of it. And almost all of Canada. (Leaving most of Nunavat territory out of it.) And yes - definitely would take Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti - pretty much almost all of the Carribean Islands. And Baja California. Certainly all of the Gulf of Mexico. Basically any Area of Effect (AOE) big enough to effect the "lower 48" will effect pretty much the entire North American continent and beyond unless the effect is directed and limited as the story says it is. 

Quote:As for who, how and why.
Who: Alien Space Bats

How: Undetermined, but probably involving Q-like powers or something that can fake Q-like powers.

Why: Because they can.

...and that's all that needs to be said about that. After managing the shift, the Space Bats are sitting back with a tub of Cosmic Being popcorn and watching the action.

Okay. Fair enough. Ignoring that for now. 

What about that whole tectonic thing I mentioned? 

Dunno Logan. To be honest I dont see how it affects the story one way or the other.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Tectonic thing...

Ever see that trick where you pull the tablecloth out from under the dishes so fast that they don't move? It's the same, except you're pulling a new cloth in when you yoink the old one out. And you're doing it with tectonic plates rather than dinner plates..

Sure. I get what you're saying. One reason I posed the question was that I wondered if anyone would write anything from the perspective of someone on the ground. Inside the AOE it would either be from the perspective of someone in the 191 Confederate timeline coming in, or from the perspective of Fen/USA going out (right up to the point that the shift happens, after which we don't get their perspective anymore. Or maybe from the perspective of someone on the ground right outside the border of the AOE. Say in Canada? One place where the shift would be the most visual and obvious would be from Windsor looking across the river to Detroit. 

Well... Ciara's captain was on the phone with someone in Seattle when it happened... it just cut out with a scream of static due to the particle radiation coming up from the source ionising the ship's antennae for a moment. What that looked like on the ground is anybody's guess. The traditional Assitti shard effect is a bright, almost nuclear flash, and rumble of thunder... and then stuff's different. And anything crossing the area of effect is just cut in half absolutely perfectly..

Bob Schroeck Wrote:If they want anyone with two brain cells to rub together to realize it was a deliberate act, follow the political borders. Since some of those are arbitrary imaginary lines, it will be obvious that an Intelligence made the swap happen.
I like the "obviously an Intelligence did this" option - it gives Noah a reason to actually try summoning the Goddess of Gates and Ways.

M Fnord Wrote:The people under "Unknown" haven't made their preferences known yet, So far USA-only shift has a slight lead, but with so many voters undecided...
Put me down for "USA only".

Dartz Wrote:What that looked like on the ground is anybody's guess. The traditional Assitti shard effect is a bright, almost nuclear flash, and rumble of thunder... and then stuff's different. And anything crossing the area of effect is just cut in half absolutely perfectly..
The default GURPS effect (to go along with the Homeline/Centrum subplot) is a Banestorm - there's a huge, powerful, unnaturally-colored storm, and when it goes away it takes everything with it...
--
Rob Kelk

So... for a brief time the entire country is engulfed -- from the point of view of outside observers -- in a wall of storm?

And -- as long as we think through all the implications for the characters -- I'm in favor of "Lower 48 only".
-- Bob
---------

Huh! 

From your description of a Banestorm, it sounds something like the effect from The Final Countdown. Except larger. Less like a horizontal tornado/time tunnel effect and more like a hurricane with a gigantic wall-cloud. 

I thinking it's more like a fog bank crossed with a thunderstorm.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Ah. I might have to edit Garret's phone call... I figured based on the previous posts that whatever happened, had happened very quickly, and was over before anyone realised it started.

EDIT: Just did that. Included a quick mention of some 'weird weather' down here from the caller.

Quote:Ah. I might have to edit Garret's phone call... I figured based on the previous posts that whatever happened, had happened very quickly, and was over before anyone realised it started.

That was my initial intention, yes.

And hey, content! This time we cover the VVS overflight, and we make a terrifying realization. But in chaos comes opportunity, and the opportunity here is truly great. Will our heroes pull off the biggest stunt ever? Stay tuned, True Believers!

Also, here's the current vote count:

World USA No Pref. Unknown
---------------------------------------------
Dakota Foxboy StarRanger4 blackaeronaut
Mal Dartz ECSNorway
Firvulag Jinx
Rob RodH
Bob Ebony
JFerio CobaltGreywalker

--Mal

Gagarin Crater Air Force Base
19 November 2016 00:15 LST

It's a general rule that you shouldn't put an excitable genki girl in charge of anything more complex than a toaster oven. The Soviet Air Force liked to break those general rules, partly just to show that ‘general rules' were a bunch of crap, but mostly for their own amusement.

"C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon LET'S GO!" Junior Lt. Tomo Takino, daring VVS X-COM pilot, was revved up and ready to go inside her virtual cockpit. Her steed for this mission, the Soviet Ga-15 fighter, gleamed faintly in the launch tube lights.

Her wingmate and superior officer for the mission, Lt. Yomi Mizuhara, was a little less ready to go. "Dammit, Cannonball! Calm down and finish the checklist!" she snapped, trying to focus on finishing her preflight instead of Tomo's ranting.

"Aw, Yomi! We're doing a high-speed run on the USA! Dodging anti-missile radars and TSAB black-project fighters! Adventure! Combat! This is going to be exciting!"

"You hope it'll be exciting; I hope this is nice and boring."

"Stick-in-the-mud."

"Glory-hogging lunatic."

"At least glory's the only thing I hog!"

"WHY YOU-"

"Ahem." Shad "Big Boss" Houben cleared his throat, and that was enough to stop his subordinates from attacking each other. "If you two are finished?"

The two pilots were immediately contrite. "Yes, Boss, sorry Boss," Tomo said.

"Right, you know the mission, just do the job and don't engage any hostiles, if there are any. You'll be reporting directly to the Committee at Korolev. Comm designation for this mission is Hawk Flight."

"Got it, Boss," Yomi replied. "Say, this thing's really got the brass in an uproar, doesn't it?"

Shad paused. "It does," he said. "Hopefully it's nothing. Your job is to find out."

"Understood, sir." Tomo said, as close to ‘all business' as her fundamental makeup would allow. "We'll find out what's happening."

"Very well. Hawk Flight is cleared for launch."

"WOO! Hawk Two, LAUNCH~!" Tomo yelled. The magnetic catapult in the launch tube responded by throwing Hawk Two out into the lunar landscape at 30 gees.

"Tomo..." Yomi growled. "Hawk One, launch!" The catapult in Hawk One's tube threw Yomi headfirst into space. For all her annoyance at her wingmate, Yomi couldn't help but smile as the acceleration from the catapult was replaced by the even harder acceleration of her fusion torch. While it wasn't where a digital schoolgirl from the Tokyo suburbs expected to end up in life, she just couldn't imagine anything more exciting than the thrill of flight.
~**~

Catching up with Tomo was easy enough; Yomi had plenty of experience in that. Chewing her out for leaping without looking was even easier. The rest of the short trip from Luna to Earth was quiet, both pilots only breaking silence to check back with the command staff at Korolev Air Force Base.

"Hey," Tomo said as they approached North America from the east, "I've got a ping, coming up over the hill."

"Ours or theirs?"

"Ours, I think. IFF pings as SS Ciara, looks like they're on a landing trajectory for Europe."

"Hawk Flight, Korolev Actual. Hail the Ciara, see what they know."

"Roger that, Korlolev." On the common Fen band: "SS Ciara, SS Ciara[/]i, this is VVS Hawk 1, please respond, over."

"We hear you, Hawk 1, what's your status?" The radio operator onboard [i]Ciara
sounded harried.

"Ciara, we're looking into something that happened near your position at zero-hundred Zulu. Did you guys see anything?"

"Um... we didn't see anything, but we were talking to a contact in Seattle when everything went dark. Since then all we've picked up are some AM transmissions, over."

"Understood, Ciara. We're continuing on, safe landings."

"Likewise, Hawk 1. Ciara out."

As the Irish ship passed overhead, the two pilots exchanged virtual glances. "You know what I said about adventure?" Tomo said. "I think I take that back." Yomi grunted, in lieu of further reply.

The two fighters hit atmosphere a hundred miles out from the East Coast. Plasma heating created bright coronas around both vehicles, though thanks to the miracle of handwavium sensors neither craft would be blind during the descent.

[/i]
~**~

Fifty miles below and a few dozen miles to the north, Sam Carsten stood on the deck of the[i] Remembrance
and watched two shooting stars race in parallel towards the west. A group of the off-duty crewmen had gathered nearby and were flabbling on about signs and portents. Sam just watched until the shooting stars disappeared from view, then went back below.

Korolev Air Force Base Situation Room
19 November 2016, 00:27 LST

The air in the situation room was thick with tension. Ever since Sora had confirmed that some sort of dimensional incursion had happened right over the United States, everybody and nobody wanted to know what had happened to the planet.

"I bet that it's an invasion, the whole planet's becoming a patchwork like in TORG," Zib Stewart half-joked, watching the screens.

"Oh lord I hope not," fired back Cal Renken. "I haven't played a storm knight in forever. I don't think I remember what to do."

"Okay, we're approaching the entry window," Yomi relayed back to the base. "No sign of high-bandwidth transmissions, we're not being painted by air-defense radar or challenged by military or civilian ATC."

"Understood, Hawk Flight," Mal said, entirely too calmly. "Maintain course and heading. Scan for any transmissions."

"Roger, Korolev." A pause. "Correction, we've just been tagged by CFB Bagotville and CFB Goose Bay, both requesting to know what we're doing."

"Tell them you're on a recon mission and you're not entering Canadian airspace." Shad directed. "Anything more, tell them to ask the consulate in Ottawa."

"Gotcha, Boss, relaying now."

"Hawk 2, what do you see?"

"Not a whole hell of a lot, Korolev," Tomo's normally chipper voice was subdued. "We're passing over the coast, into the Ohio valley, and the city lights are... wrong. There's not enough of them, but the pattern doesn't look like a blackout."

"Curiouser and curiouser. Yomi, you concur?"

"Yeah, Korolev, I do. I'm also picking up transmissions on the AM band, I think it's the same stuff Ciara reported."

"Can you patch us through?"

"Standby, Korolev... there, that should do it."

"President Smith says the United States want peace. They act like they want trouble. We would rather have peace, too. But if they think we can't handle trouble, they had better think again. North America is a big place. We're not all crowded together, the way they are in Europe. There's room on this continent for two great countries-maybe even for three, if the United States ever bother to recollect what they've done up in the north. If the United States think the Confederate States can't be great again, if they think we shouldn't be great again, then they had better think again about that, too."

"COCK-WRANGLING DONKEY FUCKER~!"

Everybody in the situation room jumped at the outburst. Mal Fnord's seemingly unbreakable facade had not just cracked, it had crumbled. "Hawk Flight," he said, voice hard and angry, "new orders. Switch to a search pattern and run over the major populated areas. You're looking for something on the longwave that gives us a date."

"A date?"

"Yeah, day, month and year. Especially the year. I don't care what you pull it off of - time signal, news broadcast, whatever - just get me the year!"

"Um, yessir, we'll get you the year."

Mal nodded. "Good. As for the rest of you," he said, sweeping an arm out to encompass the entire Central Committee, "set Condition One and issue a recall order for all spacecraft. We're in it deep, my comrades, and the only way out is through."

The other Soviets sat there, confused. "Ah, Mal," Kat Stewart said, "would you mind explaining what's wrong? Why are you so focused on the year? It's 2016."

"It isn't in the US," Mal replied grimly. "Not if I'm right, and I hope to hell I'm wrong but if what we just heard is real..." He trailed off.

"Then?" Kat prompted.

Before Mal could answer, Yomi broke in. "Korolev, Hawk 1. We've got the date information that the Chairman wanted, but it's wrong. It has to be."

"Let me guess," Mal said, "it's not 2016?"

"No sir, according to WPEN out of Philly it's 1940."

1940. The number hung in the room. Nobody dared move, or even breathe for a long moment. Finally, Shad cleared his throat and said "Allright, Hawk Flight. You've got the data Mal wanted. Time to head home, break atmo and return to the barn."

"Er, roger that Korolev. Mind explaining what's going on?"

"An explanation will be available soon, I think," Shad said, giving Mal a significant look.

"Copy that. Hawk Flight out." The comm line pinged out as Yomi and Tomo turned around and started the long climb back to Luna.

"Damn," Mal said softly. "Damn, damn damn damn damn. Damn."

"So," Zib said, "care to fill us in?"

Mal looked up at the holographic display in the center of the room. Aside from the flashing indicators showing the Soviet forces now on full alert - just short of outright war - the solar system looked much like it always had. "I know that rant," he said. "I've read it before."

"What, in Mein Kampf?"

"No, though it was inspired by Hitler's bullshit." Mal tore his eyes away from the display and looked at his people, his friends. "It's from an alternate history book," he said. "One where the Confederacy won the Slaver's Revolt and managed to stay independent all the way to the 1940s. The son of a bitch in the book who made that speech is downstairs right now. He's real and he's on Earth right goddamn now." Mal took a deep breath. "I don't know the how or the why, but some dirty bastard's ISOTed a viable, fascist Confederacy into our nice clean universe!"

"Holy shit," breathed Kat.

"I thought this would be bad, but I never imagined..."

"Fascist rednecks?! In my United States?!"

"We've got to do something! We can't let a group like that just wander around loose!"

"And what about the rest of the world?"

As the others argued, Mal felt his calm coming back. The Zen and sarcasm that had fractured in those few minutes of panic reasserted itself. "Guys, settle down," he said. "The time for panic is over. Now it's time for action."

The Committee gave him another look. "Okay, schmott guy," Zib said. "What do you propose?"

Mal grinned. The panic was fading fast and once again he was on the jazz. "I propose the biggest stunt we've ever pulled," he replied. "We pull in popular support, the SMOFs, the rest of the Fen, as much of the rest of the world as we can get and we hit these redneck fucks as hard as we can. If we do this right, we might be able to stop a major war. And even if we can't hit the sweet spot we can shorten the war and minimize casualties. There's a lot of hurting people down there all looking for a savior. I think we might fit the bill."

"You've got to be joking."

"No joke. The plan's still embryonic, but I know what to do. And we do it right. No shots, no playing, no whittling away at the fuckers. We line up everything carefully and shove it through their hearts in one go. And in the process we become the biggest damn heroes a sad little part of the world has ever seen."

Nothing. Then, something. Elena van Oorebeek, from her post on the edge of the system with the GCU Yuri Gagarin: "Well, Mal. I think I speak for all of us when I say that first, you're a gorram lunatic with delusions of grandeur. And second, I must be a gorram lunatic with delusions of grandeur too, because I'm totally in for this. Let's do this thing!"

"We'll need support."

"That won't be hard, half the SMOFs will be itching for a fight just as much as Mal."

"We'll need diplomatic contacts with the zone; maybe we can Commodore Perry our way out of actual fighting."

And on and on it went.

Whaddya think, sirs?[/i]

Quick question: is the Etherwave Network just FTL, or is it instantaneous like the Ansible system from Ender's Game? If it's instant, then maybe Ben and Gina will have enough time to point their observatory at Earth and film the event in 'Real Time' using all intruments at their disposal.
EDIT: Oh, and BTW, you can nudge me over to the World column there.

Just FTL, with "just" meaning "around 100,000c."

Since most people seem to want a US only change. This is done with that in mind. This is set from Sabre's view point on board a whale king. http://zoids.wikia.com/wiki/Whale_King Note: his isn't armed and he's the only crew as I don't trust those crew numbers anyway. If this doesn't mesh then just ignore it, it was written at 3am.
Blackaeronaut: I'm just running with somethings said on IRC a few days ago with Ben having built the whale king. Sabre having signed a contract since he couldn't pay for it up front. This includes Ben being able to draft him with little notice to the Roughriders as a clause in case of emergences. This may mean that he's built zoids for Ben as well. I'll delete the whole thing if you aren't happy with that being used.

Quote:20,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean
19 November 2016, 00:00 LST

Couple of miles out in front of the westward bound whale king zoid known as the "Tyger, Tyger". A wall of clouds suddenly appeared, boiling with strange colors as they where studded with lighting. Sabre sighed as he checked another system on the Shadow Fox zoid he was building as a personal project. His head snapped up as his ears started twitching like mad as the Tyger's sensors screamed at him.
"HOLY HELL, what is going on?"
 Meshing quickly into the ship's systems as the autopilot aborted it's current flight plan and started it's first turn of a race track holding pattern. He gave a electronic nod at the autopilot. Letting it do it's thing as he accessed the external cameras as chaotic sensor reports flashed at him in his mind. The ship's cameras became his eyes as he looked out upon a literal wall of clouds stretching from horizon to horizon and down to the sea below.
What the fuck?
He thought as the wall of clouds stretched before him. He'd blink if he was still flesh as the clouds disappear as quickly as they had appeared.
Fuck I need to make sure the system is recorded this.
Not only had it, but it gotten the cloud wall forming as well. He reviewed the footage a few times before activating the comm system to upload it to the interwave youtube.fen site with the comment. "Holy hell, did anyone else see this!?" Before descending to 10,000 feet and opening up with the sensors.

10,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean
19 November 2016, 00:35 LST
He had picked up two contacts coming down from orbit earler, but had ignored them. Figuring they where doing the same thing as him. He continued to run sensor scans while slowly approach the coast. He detected a cluster surface contacts to the north of him. Five smaller contacts around a sixth larger one, of them steaming a northwest direction. Hm, he wasn't getting pinged by active radar nor was he detected any aircraft above the group. Shifting the Tyger into a intercept course and started to descend to 5,000 feet with a thought. Another activated the radio setting of the comms. While carefully uploading sensor reports to the interwave and linked to the youtube.fen posting.
"This is the fen spacecraft Tyger, Tyger to ships on a northwest heading, please respond."
Getting no response he jump to another radio frequency and repeated. Of course he didn't know that this was the TL-191 ship USS Remembrance and her escorts.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Mm. Were there any fen (of major importance) over/in the fen!USA when it poofed? Might make for an interesting subplot.
-- Bob
---------

blackaeronaut Wrote:Quick question: is the Etherwave Network just FTL, or is it instantaneous like the Ansible system from Ender's Game?
It's just FTL. However, the FenWiki says it's 10000.0c, so the delay from anywhere in the Solar System will be less than two seconds - close enough to real-time for targeting an enemy who doesn't have AEGIS capability.

Edit: And I see Mal's quoted 100,000c, not 10,000c. One of those numbers needs to be updated...

--
Rob Kelk