Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Q&A] Question for ClassicDrogn re: Gnarlycurl
[Q&A] Question for ClassicDrogn re: Gnarlycurl
So I'm doodling in Sketchup, trying to put together a decent model of the Gnarlycurl, when I get to this section of the writeup:

Quote:The top of the pyramid is equipped with a variety of "airlockvators" in sizes ranging from "single human" to "Wave Convoy and a couple friends" clustered in the center, where the shaft used to hollow out the interior was cut, and a 100ft wide ramp (with man-scale stairs on either side for when the gravity is shut off) leads down each of the outer faces to allow access on those occasions the Gnarlycurl lands on a planetary body.

Which when I try to suss out the ramps gives me something like this:

[Image: gcurllolwat.th.jpg]

And that *can't* be right. What'm I missing here?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Think Aztec Pyramid. your base step is too large in comparison
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Okay, yeah, except that's how CD laid out the design in the wiki. AFAICT it's *supposed* to look like that.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

ahhh.. *Emily Litella* Nevermind.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Yeah, I know, serious necro here... but the 'curl is indeed a bit hard to visualise right. Pretty much, start from the listed interior dimensions, then add the 20ft thick walls and 10ft cielings 40ft high. D deck's 30ft thick floor actually stcks out as another step of base, and unlike the others has sloped sides, another 30ft larger on the bottom than the top of the step. The ramps extend out from each side of the top step about 20ft, and from the bottom of the base about 40 I think... maybe 50. They are
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

just thick enough that they join with the edges of the steps, which makes them thicker at the bottom by about 3x and leaves gaps under them in the crevice of the steps. The suitcase (well, big steamer trunk size) nuke was actually planted in the left D/C gap under the ramp, so late 2013 and on that one's been filled in with an antiradiation cap due to radioactive material that got fused into the surface. While not polished or anything the wavesteel it's made of is about as smooth as dressed stone for the
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

most part, though of course the ramp surfaces and top have a more traction friendly texture. Even so, few ground vehicles could climb them without the ship's modified gravity field making them seem flat.
--

Y'know, this is something you might want to model in Blender...

Just a thought.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Sigh... I have done so for the basic shape, actually, but currently have no way to post it.

Argh, too hot, brain not thinky. Wants AC.
--

Hmm. Well, you have two choices CD. Make a render and post that, or post the .blend to someplace like Mediafire
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

PSP access only means no uploading anything anywhere, even if the file was on the unit to begin with. Until some far off golden day when I have a real computer again, or at least take the thumb drive to my uncle's, no joy on that front.
--