Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's in charge of Named Sailors?
Who's in charge of Named Sailors?
As in, who in the Fenspace collective?  Because I have a request for one.  The real Nina Avins has become a big Sailor Moon fan over the past year or so, and it seems likely that her fictional counterpart would, as well...  and you can probably see where I'm going with this.  I'd like to give real!Nina a treat, and make her fictional counterpart a Named Sailor.  Is Sailor Grover's Corners too unwieldy?  And what can I have her do to justify it?  (Because while I could see it as possibly being a political thing -- "they'll remember that we made their little girl happy and come if we need them" -- I think it'd be more satisfying if it were earned.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I don't remember whether Cobalt or I came up with the idea, but I'm the one who wrote the FenWiki description and established the (sparse) qualifications... so I guess I am.

"Sailor Grover's Corners" is no more unwieldy than "Sailor Atalantae", so I have no problem with the name. It's definitely something that should be earned, though. Hmmmmm... A person should be "compassionate, swift and sure in battle, and attractive" to qualify. Fen!Nina is Fen!Kat's daughter, so "compassionate" is a given. Having never met real!Nina, I assume "attractive" is also a given. That leaves "swift and sure in battle" - perhaps she single-handedly repelled an attempted boskonian boarding of Grover's Corners?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We'll have to come up with a good story to cover it... Hmm. Let me brainstorm a bit -- but if we had a Boskonian attempt on the GC, I suspect it would be a bigger thing than something Nina could handle by herself.
-- Bob
---------

Good point.

Of course, the magnitude of the events that cause the awarding of a Name varies considerably depending on the recipient's age. Yayoi had to fly dozens of rescue missions before getting her Name, while at-GC-launch Luna Schroeck would have only needed to save a few kittens... but Luna would have had to show by her deeds that she would continue in the proud tradition before getting a Name.

(And since I'm mentioning rescues instead of violence, obviously "swift and sure in battle" can apply to battling Uncaring Nature as well as battling other people.)
--
Rob Kelk

And some "named" Sailor Scouts have names that no one really wants. Nezumi chose "Sailor Sociopath" herself. Whenever someone asks her why, she just smiles at them, until they ask her to stop, because she's creeping them out.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Hm. I've not had much chance to think on this, but I'm considering something off the GC... maybe Kat and Nina hit Venus for some purpose (shopping?) at one of the Crystal Cities, get separated, and Nina has a Disney-kid-adventure-plus that ends up with her capturing a couple zwilniks singlehandedly through a combination of luck and ingenuity a la Home Alone?
-- Bob
---------

That works...
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, then, I'll have to flesh it out then, and see what develops.
-- Bob
---------

It's been a (rather hectic) year, give or take, since the last post... Any ideas on what you want to do with this, Bob?
--
Rob Kelk

Well, I wanted to finish it before Nina's 12th birthday last month, but I don't think I'll manage that now...

I've yet to think on it any more than I managed to brainstorm right in this thread. I still want to write it, particularly as a gift to Nina, but my muse is not cooperating.
-- Bob
---------

Well, you've got 11 months before her 13th birthday...
--
Rob Kelk