Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] GTPS Chips

I've probably thought up the dirt-side only model then.

As for the GT UPS, someone tinkering with APUs might've put one together. Many minds are apparently working in RL on that project, none have released any current information, everyone's going their own way. Heh, if I had access to one of the small scale functional IC V8 to V16 motors I'd be contemplating using one of those for a generator.

Also from what I've been reading it appears that one of the troubles of the really small gas turbine is from their bearings, the rotors are rotating that fast that all known methods for bearing construction aren't up to the job. Then there's the temperatures the smaller components have to handle.

Ah, Handwavium violating the Laws of Physics since 20xx

--Rod.H

Rod H Wrote:Also from what I've been reading it appears that one of the troubles of the really small gas turbine is from their bearings, the rotors are rotating that fast that all known methods for bearing construction aren't up to the job. Then there's the temperatures the smaller components have to handle.

Ah, Handwavium violating the Laws of Physics since 20xx 
Ahhhh, so we can say that this is where wave-tech comes into play, eh?  Because what other than a nanofactory could manufacture monomolecular ball bearings at that size?  Wink

I can summarize a reasonably successful hardtech solution to the Bearing Problem in two words: Air Bearings. A research team with members from Singapore and Japan have published a paper describing their efforts in this arena, and claim to have achieved a stable 15,000 rpm output. They made no claims about wattage, though.

Proginoskes Wrote:I can summarize a reasonably successful hardtech solution to the Bearing Problem in two words: Air Bearings. A research team with members from Singapore and Japan have published a paper describing their efforts in this arena, and claim to have achieved a stable 15,000 rpm output. They made no claims about wattage, though.
Yeah, that sounds about marginally less difficult than electromagnetic bearings.