Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] FenWiki "update and nags to update" thread

I'm working on it... but I'm a lot busier at work, too, so I'm not publicizing any schedule.

Oh, yes - I know I'm still working on chapter 4, but here's a teaser quote for chapter 5:
Quote:Kohran squealed in glee.
Are you worried?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Added some content to the Stardust page and fixed a small error in the United Stars Organization.

Warringer Wrote:Added some content to the Stardust page and fixed a small error in the United Stars Organization.
Don't you think that the Stardust is a little bit large? A sphere of 800 meters diameter (not hollow but filled with decks)?

HRogge Wrote:
Warringer Wrote:Added some content to the Stardust page and fixed a small error in the United Stars Organization.

Don't you think that the Stardust is a little bit large? A sphere of 800 meters diameter (not hollow but filled with decks)?
Well... The station IS named Stardust and the first, rather second, Stardust was a 800m ship... It seems logical that the Rhodanites would build such a ship. Even through most of it is just empty decks and they needed years to build it. At the moment only the decks open to the public would be really eventhing that is actually filled.

Warringer Wrote:
HRogge Wrote:
Warringer Wrote:Added some content to the %[link=http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Stardust]Stardust] page and fixed a small error in the United Stars Organization.

Well... The station IS named Stardust and the first, rather second, Stardust was a 800m ship... It seems logical that the Rhodanites would build such a ship. Even through most of it is just empty decks and they needed years to build it. At the moment only the decks open to the public would be really eventhing that is actually filled.
Well... Starbase 1 looks nothing like a Star Trek space station, and http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Stellvia]Stellvia looks nothing like http://dagobah.net/kuvat/v/Anime/album/ ... 0.jpg.html]the Stellvia in the anime, so names aren't always an indicator of form or size in Fenspace.
--
Rob Kelk

Well, Rhodanites are mostly Germans. And as such a good number are somewhat perfectionists Wink and want things to be as perfect as possible. So their station Stardust is going to look like the Stardust II from the series.

Okay, maybe I could reduce the size down to 500 meters instead of 800 meters.

Warringer Wrote:
HRogge Wrote:

I am still sceptic because of the HUGE volume. We are talking about an object that has 100 times the volume of the Great Pyramid of Giza. Building something like this "from scratch" sounds too much for a small group of Fen within a few years.

What do you think about Stardust starting as an asteroid station (a 800 meter diameter one), with the Rhodanites planning to get rid of the asteroid piece by piece when they have enough resources?

Well, that is actually a better idea...

Pay the Rochounds to get you an asteroid of that size, excavate a small area for the initial station and then expand from there with a couple of elder Rhodanites from the Ruhr Area leading the excavation.

I just did some FenWiki cleanup. Most of the images now have categories, some of the wanted pages now exist (many as one-line descriptions of the navigation boxes they're attached to, others as redirects), a couple of Fen companies I missed the first time around are on the big list of companies, the entry for 2462 Nehalennia has been updated to reflect the events of Cats Cradle, and Catgirl Industries now has a navigation box all its own.

I was tempted to give Jenga its own page, but I wasn't sure whether going that far wouldn't be rude...
--
Rob Kelk

@robkelk: i have already prepared a longer wiki page for Jenga. Plan to post it soon.

Right now "Jenga" redirects to "Catgirl Industries". When you're ready to post the Jenga writeup, just edit the redirect page and replace what's there with your content.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Right now "Jenga" redirects to "Catgirl Industries". When you're ready to post the Jenga writeup, just edit the redirect page and replace what's there with your content.
I know... Smile

I will work on some additions to the "Catgirl Industries" page too, so it doesn't get too empty when I remove the text about Jenga from it.

Today, I took a couple of ideas from the contributions of someone who was a little too overenthusiastic about handwavium, explained them in a way that would make them work, and added them to the FenWiki. This includes creating a new page for an open character.

I also added some notes about the first Zeta Tucanae exploration mission to the Z.Tucanae page.

Edit: Since I've created navigation boxes for groups with fewer pages, it seemed fair to give one to the Boksonians as well... so I just did.
--
Rob Kelk

That was fun (for some new definition of "fun" that I wasn't previously aware of)... three and a half hours of cleaning up category tags. And I'm not done yet, although the spacecraft images are now tagged consistently, and most of the faction/company personnel are sorted consistently.

(Whether they're in the right way is a matter of debate... but at least now they're all in the same way.)
--
Rob Kelk

Surprise! New page!

Oh, and the Mundanes now have a navbox, and Ford Sierra is on the list of First Fen.
--
Rob Kelk

I just added some background content to the Mare Marginis page - while it now holds more than an infobox and one sentence, it's still a stub.
--
Rob Kelk

I got tired of seeing "company to be named later" and "201(0+n
--
Rob Kelk

I'll admit it: I've never been comfortable with one paragraph in the Crystal Millennium's writeup. That paragraph didn't really fit with the rest of the description of the faction, and nobody's ever done anything with it, and the person who suggested it never wrote a Fenspace story... okay, I'm justifying my actions, not explaining them. But I seem to be the acknowledged keeper of the Fenspace Senshi nowadays, so... I didn't actually delete the "reassignment" bit from the writeup - I just moved it to a new "Rumors" section on their page.

Oh, and I came up with a couple of ideas for the Trekkies (another group we're not doing anything with) - see the second paragraph in the new section "Subgroups", and the entirety of the new section "Rumors".
--
Rob Kelk

I had an interesting concept inspired by that paragraph. A consequence of that quiet policy, would be that the militia could also be something of a 'Foreign Legion' where people can hide from certain things. Like the Crime Guild.....

The scratch from the document is:

“The way I see it, two things can happen from here on in. The first, you go to tribunal and face the music. It won’t be fun, but I’m pretty sure you’d be found innocent. There was no way for you to know that your ‘investor’ was a front for the Crime Guild. And by the time you did know, it’s duress. And I can testify in your favour, that you tried to contact someone to let them know what was happening.”

“Option 2 is, you were killed outright when my apartment got RPG’d, and the body was lost in the fire. I write you up in my report as dead, an unfortunate casualty and there’s a memorial. A couple of days later, someone signs on to the Senshi Militia under an assumed name and nobody in the ‘verse needs to ever know it’s really you. Especially the Crime Guild.”

...Is it by intention that the Trekkie page is lacking a TOC?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

No, it's by neglect - there aren't (yet) enough section headings on the page for a TOC to be auto-generated.

The best way to fix this is to add more sections... which means adding more content. (The lazy way is to add {{TOC left}} between the first and second paragraphs of the introductory text... but I just tried that and IMHO it looks silly, so I didn't save it.)
--
Rob Kelk

Because nobody else has bothered
--
Rob Kelk

I plan to add some more stuff to the ESA and JAXA page as soon as I have the story finished I am working on.

I've reduced the list of Wanted pages on the FenWiki quite a bit, mostly by editing pages that had the only link to a given "wanted page." (I remember when we had over two hundred Wanted pages. Now, we're down to sixteen. Yay, us!) Here's what's left on the list, with notes:

Russian Federal Space Agency (24 links)
While anybody could write this one, anything Russian in Fenspace is Mal's baby and should be run by him first.

Indian Space Research Organisation (21 links)
It looks like Dakota has plans for this page.

China National Space Administration (20 links)
Taiwan National Space Organization (20 links)
This pair is going to be tricky to write... Anybody up for the challenge?

Jet Jaguar and the Kentucky Cat - Day Three - Part Four (7 links)
Dakota and Dartz will post this when it's written, and not a day before that!

Type-7 shuttle (6 links)
Mal came up with this, but it's a Trekkie thing - anybody could write it by raiding the "Memory Alpha" wiki page for source material and giving it a Fenspace spin.

Motoroid (6 links)
This one is Dartz' baby.

Wing and a Prayer Enterprises (3 links)
I don't remember who came up with the whole WaaPE/Babylon.5 thing, and nobody's doing anything with them nowadays... Should we just pull the links?

K-1 Vehicle (2 links)
This one's my baby. Guess I'd better write it.

Archer-class (1 link)
NOMAD (1 link)
Shuttlepod (1 link)
Three more Trekkie things that Mal came up with. If Mal doesn't mind, I could take a swing at NOMAD and Archer-class once I've done the K-1 Vehicle page, unless somebody beats me to them. Anybody could consult the "Memory Alpha" wiki and write the Shuttlepod page. Edit: As soon as we know which Shuttlepod this is. I'm leaning toward the NextGen version, because it's easy to model...

EDI (1 link)
This one belongs to HRogge.

Junkyard Lynx (1 link)
Blade Liger (1 link)
Cold Cat Spaceworks (1 link)
These three belong to Dakota.

Once we're finished these, then we can kick the Fenwiki De-Stub Project up a notch...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:EDI (1 link)
This one belongs to HRogge.
I will think about it and try to write a wiki entry about her.