Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story][Season 0][WIP] Whistling

I figure that its just the need for the correct permissions and not trying to upset anyone is easier in Germany then in the US for example.

Still is going to need months of dealing with red tape and some good lawyers.

On the other hand Germany is not the US and we are a bit more levelheaded, especially with Merkel on the horn, even it it may hurt to admit. Others had long since made life much harder...

Warringer Wrote:I figure that its just the need for the correct permissions and not trying to upset anyone is easier in Germany then in the US for example.

Still is going to need months of dealing with red tape and some good lawyers.

On the other hand Germany is not the US and we are a bit more levelheaded, especially with Merkel on the horn, even it it may hurt to admit. Others had long since made life much harder...
Thats why I said "not easy" and not "impossible"... *G*

Whistler will create quite a headache for a lot of clerks. Smile

Yup
Last part of 'Whistling'
November 17th, 2010

What little faith I had in the German bureaucracy is now a little larger.

We just got back the paperwork for our landing and flight permissions for Dortmund Airport. The tentive flight plan tells us to come in over the North Sea, before moving into an official flight corridor from Copenhagen to Dortmund.

I think that is a good idea. Less change to disturb people on the ground.

November 20th, 2010

Looks like someone on the ground couldn't keep his or her mouth shut.

I just got a mail from a reporter of ‘Der Spiegel', he wants to interview us and write an article on Whistler Orbital Services.

Thankfully I consider the ‘Spiegel' to be one of the serious weekly papers. If they want to write an article about us and the fen, I won't say ‘no'. Can only get us more customers.

December 13th, 2010

Okay, now I'm surprised.

We, or rather the fen made the headline of ‘Der Spiegel'. And from what I can say, the article is mostly positive. Even through they did manage to get some info about the time we lifted off.

But then again they took a look at it from out perspective.

The others think that it was a good idea as well.

I wonder if that article will change something down there.

December 20th, 2010

The article did change a bit.

A couple of Rhodanites down there read the article from last week and now the Stardust gets an increase of population. So much that they asked us to dock a couple of ships while they expand.

And since we are nominally Rhodanites that is not that much of a problem.

Bit stuffed here through. And some of the guys wonder why we named out station KA Preiswert, because it certainly is not a large Paddler Platform.

We may also have one of the eldest Rhodan fen aboard. Ronald Teckener, a 55 year old Canadian who discovered Rhodan when he was stationed in Iserlohn back in 1964. Nice, bit of stuffy Brit type of guy, but okay. He's even a former Army Major and hitched a ride with Ben, only to be dropped of here.

Well, I think we'll see what happens to him.

January 7th, 2010

Its time to go back dirtside...

My niece and nephew are going to be baptized in two days and I for one want to make sure that no one freaks out when I walz in back home. They might have seen me on video, but in real life that is a tad different...

January 8th, 2010

My fabulous return went well. Mostly anyway.

When we landed at Dortmund Airport on a rented helicopter pad, we where all but sieged by local and national reporters.

Of course I can understand that. The ‘Spiegel' article made Whistler well known as ‘biggest German fen corporation' and now everyone wants to have a piece of us. We made sure to avoid the guys from the ‘Bild' however. We don't want to deal with rainbow press on the same level as the Sun or Fox News.

The meeting with the family went good, as well. There was some freaking out by the neighbours, but in the end it was nothing too bad.

I wonder what the pastor is going to say.

January 10th, 2010

At least nobody passed out or screamed ‘demon' or something. The pastor looked a tad uneasy when she saw me, but in the end my biomod did not prove to be a large problem. I wonder how it would hace gone had we been catholic?

Anyway, the following party on the twins made me think, when my brother-in-law asked me why I had really gone to fenspace.

I looked at the twins and told him that I did not really know.

Sure it seemed like a cool idea at the time and it is still the best I've ever done, but I think it had little to do with the actual reason, which I still don't really know.

Some soul searching is in order...

January 12th, 2010

Back to orbit, back to work.

I think I'll take some timeout to clean my head and think.

Strangely enough I can think best when I'm out and do an orbit or two by myself.

-----------------------------------------------

Slowly Earth passed below Naedial as she floated freely in space, her eyes closed and all limbs spread away from her.

Breathing lightly she let her thoughts wander, while she listened to Led Zeppelin blasting away in her ears, transmitted into her skull and from there into her inner ear through a pair of waved earplugs.

Why was she up here?

That question ran through her head for some time.

It was not just for the good time with friends and other fen.

It was not only for the thrill of doing a dangerous job or to be payed good money for the same.

It was not for the ability to float in space unprotected on her own.

She breathed in deep again and slowly opened her eyes and looked down at the passing of the world beneath her.

Exactly that was it.

She was here for this view down to this pale blue dot in the width of the wide inky blackness of space.

It was the view of the future. Not just her own, but that of everyone.

To see Earth like this, to give everyone the change to look down at Earth and say ‘I was born there' or ‘Our parents were born down there'.

To see that most of those petty problems down there didn't matter. Be it gender, ‘race', skin color, religion.

All the energy directed at those ‘problems' should be directed to other things. Like exploring the universe around them. Either through wavetech or hardtech. It didn't really matter.

All that mattered was that it was the future, and she wanted to help build that future.

That was why she was up here and not down there.

To build a better future.

- Fin -

----------------------------------

Comments on this are welcome. Gotta look over it again to correct anything that may be wrong.

Nice ending piece.

Diary entries always feel a bit short, more like the outline of a story rather than a story itself.

I don't believe in long entries. :p
Besides, as a diary they only need to give the writer an outline of the events to remember.

Some wiki-entries that I hope to add sometime...

-----------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Shipbox
|shipname = ''Toy Box''
|hull = Intermodal Containers with fiberglass and sheet steel body
|length = 31.24 m
|width = 8.32 m
|height = 8.89 m
|mass = 253,231 kg
|drivetype = 3x Philo MKII Fusion Torch acceleration engines
|driverating = Max Acceleration 25g
Max Delta-v: 44000 km/s without external tanks, 50000km/s+ with external tanks
|weapons = None
|manufacturer = Whistler Orbital Services
|owner = Whistler Orbital Services
|faction = Rhodanites (Pulpers)
|datelaunched = September 21st, 2008
|purpose = Orbital Debris Collector/Orbital Maintenance Craft
|crew = [[Fee Carmichael] (AI)
[[Naedial Warringer] (pilot)
Danni 'Thora' Koslowski (Flight Control)
Thorsten 'Bully' Lehmann (Engineer)
Alexander 'Mehandor' Zweigart (Engineer)
|auxvehicles = 2x Orbital Sled
|status = '''Active'''
}}

One of the first purpose build Fenships. Its from the ground up intended to do orbital salvage and maintenance operations in Earth Orbit and Cis-lunar space. She's however known to operate in other parts of the solar system.

While [[Ptichka] is known to have done a number of maintenance operations, the Toy Box is operating on several long term maintenance contracts with SES Astra, Eutelsat S.A. and Hughes Communications for their GEO communication satellites.

== Known Vehicle Quirks ==
* ''Smoker:'' Since the character Fee is modeled after happens to be a heavy smoker, the air aboard the Toy Box always smell faintly of tobacco.
* ''I'm having a good time, I'm having a ball:'' Unless the Queen song ''Don't stop me now'' is played during the first 3 minutes 29 seconds of a long term engine burn, the engines will turn themselves off after 3 minutes and 29 seconds.
* ''Shakin!:'' Any engine burn over 2g is going to take the ''Toy Box'' as is she was falling apart for about twenty minutes, even if the burn end earlier or later.
* ''Whipple whipple:'' Since the ''Toy Box'' is equipped with a whipple shield, it seems as if the ship is a magnet for micro meteorites and micro debris. Thankfully there is never a hull breach or damage done to any vital part of the ship. The hull does look like a patchwork quilt through.

== Known Crew Quirks ==

== Trivia ==

== Stories ==

{{Space Ships}}
[[Category:Space Ships]
[[Category:Whistler Orbital Services]

--------------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Infobox company
| name = Whistler Orbital Services
| type = Private
| foundation = October 2009
| location = KA Preiswert, Semi-synchronous orbit
| area_served = [[Sol|Solar System]
| key_people = Naedial Warringer
Danni 'Thora' Koslowski
Thorsten 'Bully' Lehmann
Alexander 'Mehandor' Zweigart
Fee Carmichael
SENECA
| products = Various Orbital Salvage
| services = Orbital Debris Cleaning
Commercial Satellite Maintenance
Salvage
| owner = Naedial Warringer
Danni 'Thora' Koslowski
Thorsten 'Bully' Lehmann
Alexander 'Mehandor' Zweigart
| homepage =
}}

Whistler Orbital Services was founded in 2009 when the [[Toy Box] launched into orbit from Germany.

Within one month of operation Danni Koslowski, a former employee of EADS Astrium, aquired the first long term salvage and satellite maintenance contracts with SES Astra, marking the beginning of the actual operation of Whistler Orbital Services.

As [[Stellvia] happened to be 'out of the way' from the primary operation area of the [[Toy Box] it was decided to build a station, named [[KA Preiswert] in Semi-synchronous earth orbit.

Until 2011 Whistler acquired further large maintenance contracts with Eutelsat S.A. and Hughes Communications, and minor salvage contracts and good relations with various national space organisations.

Usually any salvage that is obtained during normal operations is refurbished and sold to various fen and factions, while other salvage is shipped to clients.

While nominally unaligned with [[Great Justice|Operation Great Justice] during the [[Boskone War] the [[Toy Box|SS Toy Box] and other Whistler craft rescued several stranded spacecraft pilots and larger space ships, increasing the standing with most factions. Only a Boskone attack on the [[Toy Box] in the late stages of the war caused Whistler to align with [[Great Justice].

Whistler Orbital Services is mainly aligned with a small Pulper faction, the [[Rhodanites].

Notable are good relations to various 'Dane corporations and space agencies as well as most of Fenspace.

{{factions}}
[[Category:Factions]
[[Category:Companies]

----------------------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Infobox Character
|name=Naedial Warringer
|birth_date = {{Birth date|1979|08|30}}
|birth_place = Germany
|residence = [[Toy Box]
|nationality = [[Fenspace Convention]
|ethnicity = wogon/furry
|citizenship = German
|other_names = Nae
|education = Electric Technician
|employer = [[Whistler Orbital Services]
|occupation = nominally CEO / Captain of the [[Toy Box]
|callsign = Poet
}}

''Primary Writer: [[User:Warringer|Warringer]''

* ''Height:'' 6'8"
* ''Weight:'' not telling
* ''Build:'' lean
* ''Hair:'' gray
* ''Eyes:'' gray-blue
* ''Common Dress:'' 'waved wetsuit, 'space corset' ('waved Tactical Corset with pouches and speed drive)

Naedial Warringer is the result of an accidental biomod of one of the builders of the [[Toy Box]. While creating the outer hull of the space ship, he came into contact with too much handwavium and eventually transformed into something of a winged anthro wolf. She calls herself a wolf-dragon hybrid, or wogon for short.

During the building of [[KA Preiswert] she was accidentally exposed to hard vacuum for about fifteen minutes, where she found out that she can survive in vacuum without a spacesuit. Since then she got rid of anything that makes work in space harder, opting to only use a breathing mask.

== Notable Mundane Attributes ==
* ''Wait What?:'' She has something of an overactive fhatasy when she wants to have it. That allows her to come up with very strange ideas that somehow work out in the end.
* ''Maybe that wire:'' Trained Electronic Technician

== Handwavium Abilities ==
* ''Vacuum? What Vacuum?:'' Due to the nature of the handwavium strain, namely one to vacuum proof the hull of the [[Toy Box], Naedial is vacuum proof as well. she can go out into space with only a breathing mask.

== Quirks ==
* ''I can't see you sweat:'' With her biomod she is unable to sweat, however her larger wings make up for that.
* ''What do you mean you can't fly?:'' While she does possess a pair of large wings, they are usable to fly. Instead they act as large radiator panels to equalize her inability to sweat.
* ''Wogon? Isn't that 'Vogon'?:'' Naedial may quip about making bad poetry, but never, ever allow her to actually follow through with reciting poetry.

== Stories ==
Naedial Warringer has played a role in the following stories:

* Whistling

[[Category:Characters|Warringer, Naedial]

---------------------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Infobox Character
|name=Fee Carmichael
|birth_date = {{Birth date|2009|08|03}}
|birth_place = Germany
|residence = [[Toy Box]
|ethnicity = American (AI)
|citizenship = [[Fenspace Convention]
|occupation = Resident AI of the [[Toy Box]
}}

== Quirks ==
* ''I want a smoke!:'' Fee is rather irritated about being an AI, because she has the urge to smoke and it won't go away.
* ''Blow a fuse:'' Sometimes Fee can blow up and be very irrational
* ''No weapons!:'' She doesn't like weapons on her ship, period.

== Stories ==
Fee Carmichael has played a role in the following stories:

* Whistling

[[Category:Characters|Carmichael, Fee]

------------------------------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Shipbox
|shipname = ''KA Preiswert''
|drivetype = 5x J-2 'waved Rocket Engine
|driverating = Max. Acceleration: 3g
Max Delta-v: 10000 km/s
|owner = [[Whistler Orbital Services]
|flag = [[Fenspace Convention]
|faction = [[Whistler Orbital Services] - EuroFen / [[Pulpers] - [[Rhodanites]
|purpose = Corporation home base
|crew = [[SENECA] (AI)
|supcrew = varies
|status = '''Active'''
}}

Headquarters of [[Whistler Orbital Services].

Build as the response to the need for a home base after getting their first big contract, this station consisted in its core of the five [[wikipedia:S-IVB|S-IVB] upper Saturn V stages that were ejected into Solar Orbits in the Apollo 8 to 12 missions. They were connected into a pyramid form, with four stages forming the base and the fifth the top. The top stage acted as living and docking module, while the lower modules act as workshop with storage area and large airlock. Several salvaged Centaur II upper stages act as water tanks to refuel the [[Toy Box] and provide additional radiation protection.

One 40 foot and two 20 foot ISO containers extend the actual workshop area and contain the machines and tools of the station.

Later on a larger living module was added, made of 16 45 foot ISO containers to increase living space and add a few more docking points.

[[SENECA] is the AI of the station and has nearly full control over the station, through he does not have control over the various computer controlled systems in the workshop.

{{Space Stations}}[[Category:Cislunar Space]

-----------------------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Infobox Character
|name=SENECA
|birth_date = {{Birth date|2009|11|15}}
|birth_place = [[KA Preiswert]
|residence = [[KA Preiswert]
|ethnicity = AI
|occupation = Resident AI of [[KA Preiswert]
}}

== Quirks ==
* ''I'd know about that:'' SENECA can become very irritated if something does not match with his data and tries to ignore the problem, hoping that it'll go away.
* ''Orders are orders:'' SENECA follows some orders to the letter, through not the spirit. This lead to some interesting incidents.
* ''State of the Art!:'' Originally build from three high end blade servers, SENECAs hardware has fallen behind, but he refuses any upgrades of his hardware and any attempt shuts down [[KA Preiswert].

== Stories ==
SENECA has played a role in the following stories:

* Whistling

[[Category:Characters|SENECA]

-------------------------------------------

{{stub}}
{{Infobox Character
|name=Vario
|birth_date = officially {{Birth date|2010|02|12}}
|birth_place = [[KA Preiswert]
|residence = [[KA Preiswert]
|ethnicity = AI
|occupation = Jack of all Trades for Whistler
}}

== Handwavium Abilities ==
* ''Body Snatcher?:'' Vario's main body is an roughly eggshaped torso of 'waved metal with extendable tentacle like arms and legs. But she usually wears something that is called cocoon mask that gives her a more normal look. Her usual mask is that of a 6 feet athropomorphic toy dragon.
* ''Now you see me now you don't:'' She got several cocoon mask that give her a human look and let her fade into the background of any gathering of humans. Integrated equipment manages to spoof most sensory systems.
* ''What a nice Signal:'' Due to her SigInt background she is very apt when it comes to SigInt analyzing and recording.

== Quirks ==
* ''I can't sing, I can't dance:'' Vario does not communicate in a normal sense. She does not talk, she does not written or typed text to communicate. It usually creeps people out that she doesn't, but after anout thirty minutes everyone does know what she wants to communicate anyway, which is even more creepy. Okay, but Vario can dance rather well...
* ''Damn kids and their newly fangled toys:'' Vario's main CPU and mainboard were salvaged from a SigInt spy satellite that was launched in the 80s, which was accidentally 'waved in a Handwavium spill. She tends to show her 'ancient' age when it comes to her hardware.

== Stories ==
Vario has played a role in the following stories:

* Whistling

[[Category:Characters|SENECA]

Warringer Wrote:Some wiki-entries that I hope to add sometime...
*nods* These look good to me - the only bit I would change is replacing "[[Category:Characters|SENECA]" with "[[Category:Characters]" in Vario's writeup. (And possibly in SENECA's writeup as well - you don't need to specify the character name in the tag if the character has a one-word name, but if you do specify a name, you should use the right one.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Okay, I would like to ask if there are any problems with Whistling. Because I'd like to add it to the wiki.

Just some spelling/grammar stuff. We're not holding it against you because we all know how tough English can be. (>_

Thats better then a certain someone at the Anime Addventure then. Wink