Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Drivetypes, and trying to put vague numbers at things.

Maybe the inertia compensation cannot go beyond 90%? Which means everything faster than a Fencar would get more than 1g inside while fully accelerating?

Precisely what I was thinking, for the acceleration idea you came up with anyway.

Dartz Wrote:I suppose it is a matter of perspective, seen as I'm used to the idea of being able to cross the country in two hours, and would consider a drive to Galway an unusually long one. Being an hour away from home feels like quite a big distance to the Irish mind. I come from a small country. (And find it terribly interesting that Jet is able to get to Mars, in much the same time it takes to drive to Galway. That massive shift in perspective is fascinating)
Whereas I have a co-worker who thinks of "an hour away from home" as "at the office"... (and that's using the expressways for almost the entire trip)

I think nothing of driving four and a half hours to see a friend in Toronto, and then driving four and a half hours back to Ottawa... in the same day. I don't do it very often, and that's all I do that day, but the concept isn't alien to me.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

My parents have shifted perspective on travel times as well. When they were growing up in the middle of Missouri, the 15-20 mile trip to the next town was regarded as a day trip. You go that far, you might as well spend all day. Thirty years later in Metropolitan Denver, Dad would travel the same distance for a club meeting, and it was less than two hours for the meeting itself, and he'd go right back home when it was over.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor