Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Haruhi; can we put this to bed finally?

robkelk Wrote:And I agree about jettisoning the "Haruhi is Haruhi" idea. I signed up to take part in an original shared-world, not a shared MoHS fanfic.

My perspective is a bit distant at this point, but it feels to me like there's enough material now that calling it that would be a lot like calling Undocumented Features a shared Dirty Pair fanfic.

-Morgan.

Morganni Wrote:My perspective is a bit distant at this point, but it feels to me like there's enough material now that calling it that would be a lot like calling Undocumented Features a shared Dirty Pair fanfic.
You mean it isn't?

All kidding aside... I think this thread has sat for long enough; anybody who would have complained has had a full month to do so, and no complaints have been forthcoming. So here are the updates I propose to make to the FenWiki:

Haruhi is the victim of a biomod, who had a psychotic break upon waking up looking like Haruhi. Evidence presented to her of the truth is ignored or rationalized away... or she has another psychotic break and forgets the evidence.

Kyon is also biomodded, but not to the extent that his wife is; he's recognizable as the person who he was before the biomod, but changed. He's learned the hard way to not bring up the past in front of his wife.

Yuki is the third of the SOS-Dan's biomods - she was going for a Rei Ayanami look, but it quirked oddly. She gravitated to the SOS-Dan because they seemed to know how to cope with this sort of thing.

Mikuru is a remarkably-detailed AI, the product of her "twin sister" Kurumi (a Mad who looks somewhat like manga-Mikuru(big), but not as much as her creation does). Mikuru is only aware of this when Kurumi is in the same room or communicating with her - this is more of the "don't confuse Haruhi with the truth" that Kyon insists upon. Reports of Mikuru being in two places at once are actually sightings of Kurumi and Mikuru by different people at the same time.

Koizumi just happens to look like manga-Koizumi. This resemblance is one of the factors that caused the others to biomod the way they did. He's also a good enough actor to be able to maintain the role 24×7. The reason he can't be traced back to Japan is he doesn't want to be traced - there are a couple of arrest warrants with his old name on them, and he's made a few deals (including one with Mr. Morden) to be able to disappear into the black. It was his suggestion to Haruhi that they go look at the Ciara, and the SOS-Dan used his resources as seed capital to set up their Fenspace lives once they were Up.

Nobody has any metapowers as of SOS-Con. Whether they can fake metapowers later depends on the 'waved gadgets and Whole Fenspace Catalog goodies they can obtain.

Any concerns with this? Speak now or forever get into an edit-war on the wiki...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Given that mapping an anime/manga-style drawing onto real life appearance is at best a loose "adaptation" and at worst a matter of "eye of the beholder", Mikuru and Kurumi can both "look just like" source!Mikuru very easily. There's no reason to posit some difference in their appearances.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Eh, I'm satisfied. Could have done something more fun, but I guess this way there's fewer things to break. (In a Marvel/DC kinda way.)

It's up, on the SOS-dan page. (And I added a note that should help with your Infinities plans, BA...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh MAN.... I can easily imagine Gina (eventually) finding out about this, and then threatening both Kurumi and Mikuru at gun and knife point to cough it up... that is, if asking nicely doesn't work the first time.