Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] One year Later... (It's about time we got started)

perhaps, but by the same token BA has a lot more emotional connection to the events having been homeported in Japan during his time in the navy. This might be something he needs to do for himself, to work out that the RL BA had no way to help even though he wanted to by having Ben Rhoades do what HE can.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

And I get that, which is why I haven't slammed the door on the idea.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

My argument: even if this were aggrandizement of my character, I also find it very difficult to let events like this continue to be a black hole in the continuity.

But, I guess that's what it boils down to once you strip away the idea of 'what does so-and-so's characters get out of it'. So, I'll ask this question straight up.

Do we write the Fenspace continuity as though the disaster with the quake, tsunami, and meltdown in Japan never occurred, or do we take that into account and factor in the response of the Fen as well as the world's reaction to the Fen's reaction?

Will we also discuss in detail the Fen reaction to the Christchurch 'quake, or the Somali drought and famine, or any of the other major disasters of 2011?

If yes, consider: We haven't even written how SOS-con ends - who's going to write all of this?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Will we also discuss in detail the Fen reaction to the Christchurch 'quake, or the Somali drought and famine, or any of the other major disasters of 2011?
I'm oddly reminded of the parable about the man throwing starfish back into the sea.
And Rob, IIRC we already have a rough idea of how SOS-con ends.  And it hasn't kept us from writing other things... unless you guys would like to impose another moratorium on 'new' material until SOS-con is finished?  Also, I'm not asking that we all start writing epics, here.  We're already in the middle of doing so.  What I'm asking for is that this be acknowledged, that character-X  may do Y-actions and may have Z-results - just a bullet list of ideas so I don't go stomping on other people's toes when I get around to writing something.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Do we write the Fenspace continuity as though the disaster with the quake, tsunami, and meltdown in Japan never occurred, or do we take that into account and factor in the response of the Fen as well as the world's reaction to the Fen's reaction?

*sigh* This is the tough part of writing near-future fiction; the future's a moving target, and fiction isn't.

I'm honestly torn on this. I don't like the idea of haphazardly inserting our shit into real world events, it smacks of "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES" and other equally dubious things that tend to trivialize and oversentimentalize major events for the sake of a quick buck or ratings boost. On the other hand, it's hard to justify handwavium butterflying away seismic events.

Gripping hand, we've already inserted the Fen into the Arab Spring. So yeah, let's do this. We don't have to do it for everything, but if this is a thing you feel you need to do BA, then I'm willing to let you go ahead and do it. (Just... watch the tone, okay? If the schmaltz starts flowing too freely I'ma come down there and whap you with my gimpstick.)

For the record, when the big quake hits the VVS is out doing a survey of the Neptunian system. Not being pro rescue types their contribution is mainly in tipping a big chunk of the operating fund to NGOs and others who are pro rescue types.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Rockhounds, at this point, are still fully committed to Greenwood and the Belt; they have no resources to spare for this. They'd love to help, and will probably donate a few megatons of iron to the rebuilding effort, but that's about all they can do.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

M Fnord Wrote:Gripping hand, we've already inserted the Fen into the Arab Spring. So yeah, let's do this. We don't have to do it for everything, but if this is a thing you feel you need to do BA, then I'm willing to let you go ahead and do it.
We're also going to have to be careful on how many events we "meddle" with. Nobody (save for Jess) can be in two places at once...
--
Rob Kelk

Given this is still just before the "big expansion", JMC might not be able to spare much. Absolute best case, they'd have a single Blue Midget even out of the shipyards and running a shake down, with the rest a year or more away.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Cathy is up in orbit as a tourist guide at this time. Yes, her ship can pull freight behind it, but not enough to make it interesting for large enough operations.

So not much help (or none at all) from my contribution in Fenspace... will still take a few years until CI starts. ^^

In all honesty, either International Rescue or the Supers RSG will turn up for recovery opperations (i.e. finding survivors, helping with repairs, and ground clearence), but I doubt the Japanese government (no matter HOW Fen-friendly) will let anyone but their own people near the reactors.

The main thing to do if we start getting involved in real-world events is to tread lightly. It keeps divergance to a minimum.

(Yes, eventually the divergances will be much more noticeable, but if we want to go that way I'd suggest that after the Second Season we do a timeskip. My Opinion Only.)

That's one reason why I suggested The Great Age of Exploration for Season Two – get everybody away from Earth, let it go its own way, and let us go our way...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:That's one reason why I suggested The Great Age of Exploration for Season Two – get everybody away from Earth, let it go its own way, and let us go our way...
Not sure Season 2 will work out this way... even with Expeditions leaving Sol, the majority of the Fen will stay at home I think.