Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bio-Globes
Bio-Globes
The blog post yesterday inspired Warringer and me to get it into Fenspace...

###########

[big]Bio-Globes[/big]

History

Bio-Globes are a recent development in Fenspace, which began at the end of the Boskonian war. While Fenspace already could produce lots of food at Wonderland and the Jovian system, smaller settlements in remote places had discovered that being totally dependent on one or two suppliers lightminutes away could be a problem.

In the late 2013s, a small group of Belters began to look for alternatives. After some time of experimentation, they began to work on a concept published in 2012 by Conceptual Devices on Earth (link) and built the first Bio-Globes.

Design

The typical Fenspace Bio-Globes are double layered geodesic domes of five to eight meters diameter, which are used for growing plants, fruits and fish. On a series of trays along the walls of the transparent dome, different kinds of plants and tree-fruits are raised. Water is transported back and forth between the plant area and the fish tanks to exchange nutrients between them.

While most plants can be grown in hydroponics or aeroponics, others, such as potatoes need to be grown in actual soil.

Most outer layers are made from waved materials and are designed to be completely airtight, while the handwaved parts keep the atmosphere within clean and fresh and produce artificial gravity. Some Bio-Globes in asteroid settlements or in places far away from the sun add bright lights to sustain the plants, other add solar panels for generating electricity used in the inner dome.

The inner shell is often completely handwavium free to lower the chance of cross-polluting the ecosphere inside. In addition to the plants and the fish tanks, the Bio-Globes contain a small recycling container for most kinds of organic matter as well as smaller containers with bacteria that reduce the ammonium/ammoniac of the fish wastes to nitrates that can be used by the plants.

Additionally they provide variety in the daily work of belter habitats and provide emergency shelters in the event of a hull breach.

Culture

While the original designers built their Globes mostly for themselves, the design quickly spread among the small settlements of the belt and beyond. Fen began to trade design modifications, plants and fish species between each other, others began to construct additional Bio-Globes for friends and neighbors.

For most of the smaller habitats the Bio-Globes also provide a place to teach Fenkinder who were born and raised on Fenspace responsibility for their environment and in some cases with a way to keep pets (fish) that are not impacting too heavily on the life support systems.

Today, the Bio-Globes are a widespread installation among remote Fen settlements. While most of them are still buying food from external sources to increase the biomass of their constructions, the Globes have become an important part of Fenspace’s food production, as they provide a basic minimum most habitats can survive on.

There are some commercial variants of easy to setup Globes including plants and fish, but most of the globes started as self made constructions and gifts by other Fen. Most settlements prefer to use multiple smaller Globes to reduce the chance of losing their whole local food source in a single accident as well as having multiple harvests per year spread over the number of Globes.

Known Variants

Depending on the construction, and quirks of the outer dome structure, various Bio-Globes may only reach certain temperatures on the inside, allowing to grow only some specific plants.

Some of these Bio-Globes are called ‘Winter Globes or ‘Cabbage Globes’ because they are generally used to grow cabbage and other cold season plants.

Others are known as ‘Summer Globes or ‘Citrus Globes’ as they are used to grow citrus plants and other hot season plants.

There are also some larger Globes in existence, used to grow plants such as rice, wheat, soy and corn. Generally the habitats with these ‘Wheat Globes’ tend to also produce local alcoholic drinks.

Trivia:
  • Bio-Globes cannot provide food from nothing, it is the responsibility of the owner to provide enough recycled biomatter as a replacement for the harvested food.
  • Some larger spaceships carry small Bio-Globes to provide food on longer journeys for the crew.
  • A basic 6 meter Bio-Globe can produce up to 400kg plants and 100kg fish per year, enough to feed 12-15 people. Some habitats with multiple Globes are exporting food.
  • Tilapia and Oreochromis are the most used fish in Bio-Globes.
  • Because most Bio-Domes use Handwavium only for life-support, they are practically quirk free.

Tells us what you people think!

I can't see anything wrong with it.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

I'm not sure we need the larger globes - settlements on planetary surfaces are already under domes, and other settlements can just dig holes in the asteroids and use them the way Tokio and Wonderland do...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

We are talking about larger Globes on asteroid habitats. And not that much larger. Only large enough to get in one or two harvests of wheat or rice per year to spice up the food plan. Maybe 10 to 20, in 'extreme cases', 30m in diameter.

Maybe it would be good to add that the Bio-Globe concept doesn't scale up well in size, because it gets complicated to use all the inner volume without a lot more construction. It quickly becomes easier to dig a huge cave in an asteroid.

The advantage of the globes are that they are easy to set up and to maintain... and that they are mostly self-contained.

(edit)

Another advantage of the standard 6 meter globes is you can easily transport the parts for a globe in a large Fen-Truck... larger ones are much more difficult to transport and setup.

And I know this was in the original thread and not here, but Grover's Corners doesn't need bio-domes. It is a bio-dome in and of itself, just not of the same design.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob, we're not talking about Grover's Corners, we are talking about asteroid habitats out in the belt or even further out. Places that are hours or even days away from otherwise fresh food.

I quite thoroughly approve of the idea of decentralizing agriculture in Fenspace - the more places one can go to get something to eat, the less likely one is to starve.

I'm just wondering about the viability of bio-globes that are more than an order of magnitude larger than the real-world ones...
--
Rob Kelk

One could say that Grovers Corners is "what Bio Globes would like to become if they would grow up". Wink

Look at this link to get a feeling how large the typical Bio Globe is. Its just a compact form of Aquaponik, nothing more.

robkelk Wrote:I'm just wondering about the viability of bio-globes that are more than an order of magnitude larger than the real-world ones...
I would say if you really need more food, its more effective to build a second globe than a larger one.

6-8 meter default (8 meter on the outer shell, 6 on the inner shell), 10 meter diameter for large ones... everything beyond is a special construction and unusual.

[big]Bio-Globes[/big]

Design

The typical Bio-Globe has an inner diameter of five or six meters. Some rare constructions can go up to 15 meter inner diameter, which also makes the installation of multiple floors in the globe mandatory. Most times its easier to build a second dome instead of a larger one, or switch to other designs that use large caves in asteroids.

The fishs in the Bio-Globes are normally feed by water plants in the water and leftover food.

Warringer Wrote:Bob, we're not talking about Grover's Corners, we are talking about asteroid habitats out in the belt or even further out. Places that are hours or even days away from otherwise fresh food.
As I said, there was a mention of the GC using bio globes in the original thread that spawned this one.  Not that it was in here.  But I felt it needed saying anyway.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Warringer Wrote:Bob, we're not talking about Grover's Corners, we are talking about asteroid habitats out in the belt or even further out. Places that are hours or even days away from otherwise fresh food.
As I said, there was a mention of the GC using bio globes in the original thread that spawned this one.  Not that it was in here.  But I felt it needed saying anyway.

In the end GC decided that one HUGE biodome was enough for them. Wink

HRogge Wrote:In the end GC decided that one HUGE biodome was enough for them. Wink

I do believe Grover's Corners is larger than http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/biodom ... ?langue=en]The Biodome, actually...
--
Rob Kelk

Wikified http://fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Bio_Globes

I think we need a page "food production in Fenspace", there isn't really a good other page to link the bio globes. We linked it into "Fen tech" at the moment.