Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story][Origin][Season 0] Genesis Deal
[Story][Origin][Season 0] Genesis Deal
Genesis Deal - 27/May/2012
Eastercon, 2007, UK.
"Why should I pay fifty quid for a recycled tin of Humbrol paint with a sticky label on it saying 'meta paint' ?"  Brian looked up from his wheelchair at the enthusiastic man with the energetic black eye brows.
"Because...  It's better than any paint you ever used!  Really brings things to life!"  Brian wondered, idly, whether a whispered shout was possible, because that was certainly what seemed to be being used.
"How do I know that paint is even suitable for miniatures?"  Brian was getting intrigued.  For reasons that worried him the voices in his head were shouting "Buy it!  Buy it!".  And, they didn't usually say much, except make mischievous suggestions.
Leaning closer the man looked down at him, then glanced down at his con badge. "Look, 'Brains'?", the man shook his head.  "Look.  I'll throw in a CD with some video and instructions.  You won't even have to risk poking around in the web.  Things are starting to happen.  If you know what you are doing", and the man looked at a nearby table in the Dealer's Room, "You can have some real fun".
Brian looked around the room.  It was busy, but still early on in the con, so it'd get a lot busier.  The room was an interesting mix of books and other media, and Brian was sitting behind a table of science fiction miniatures, arranged in three different dioramas, advertising his services.
He couldn't be sure, but he thought the man was looking at a display of 'hentai' material, including imported Japanese figures.  Brian'd been looking at a woman with a winged head, 'Silene'[1], earlier.  Maybe that'd drawn the man to him?
Brian wasn't sure about hentai.  Yes, he was paralysed from the waist down but that didn't mean he was uninterested.  The women seemed mostly schoolgirls, or due for really bad backs, later in life.  Or both.  And it tended to be the more obscure stuff that interested him, with a science fiction, occult, or just really strange, element.
"OK", he said, coming to a decision.  "I'm here on a limited budget, but I'll give Roger over there", he indicated another table, "Ten pounds and you give him the CD and tin of paint.  If I've done well by late Sunday, Roger will give you the ten quid and I'll give you another forty, if not he'll give you the ten quid and your stuff back".  'And I'll buy that classic SF collection from Roger he's been recommending to me', Brian thought.
The man was obviously undecided.  "OK", he said finally, "Deal".
Eastercon
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

META for "Genesis Deal"

This breaks one of the principles seen elsewhere in Fenspace Origin stories - somehow the handwavium is obtained for free. However, I could just see some one really dedicated smuggling some into the UK, and trying to sell it. Just to find that most people don't believe a word he's saying. And, certainly wont pay money for a 'hoax'. Incidentally, Brains would give handwavium away free, to those he suspects might use it in a vaguelly reponsible way. But, he'd certainly be willing to charge money for things he makes using the stuff.

Brains is into obscure stuff, so I've included a link to 'Silene'. I've also included a link to 'Eastercon'. If this is against the protocol for Fenspace stories, please tell me, and I'll drop these and any plans for future obscurity clarifying links!

Incldentally, I know that the Eastercon 2007 was not at Liverpool, but, I'm assuming that even at this early date the Fenspace universe has diverged from our own enough that this change occured (Liverpool was considered for Eastercon 2007). If this is unacceptable, then I'll change the venue to 'Chester'.
For extra fun, I'll let those who attended UK SF cons in the 2000s work-out who the 'Roger' might be who could be found at a table in the Dealers Room. [grin]
--

Not too familiar with the UK con scene tbh. But nobody would worry about it.

I'm from across the minipond you see. *throws stone* . The only UK 'con' I've been to is the London Expo. Though I am involved in the animé side of things here. (And am hoping to be running a Gunpla modelling panel at one in November)

I can see nothing wrong with this. Especially since Humbrol paint is hard to accidentally drink.

Don't worry about the explanatory links - more of us should do that, IMHO...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Because worrying about the location of Eastercon 2007 is more trouble than its worth for a poor and obscure joke, I've just chopped the 'Liverpool' out of the Time/Location heading.

Yes, there may be more explanatory links! [grin]
--