Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CI Mind Tech

Dartz Wrote:A nice downside to a skillsoft is that, while it enables you to use the skill, you can never advance in it beyond a certain level since you haven't built up the base understanding of the concepts behind the skill.... you just know how to follow what the program tells your body to do. You might get more comfortable using the skillsoft, but you're not using the skill itself. Transplanting that base understand requires the trading of a lot more than a simple 'how to do', and a lot more invasive manipulation of the brain.

Might that work?
So they provide training, not education... That would limit their effectiveness without making them useless, yes.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I'd suggest that when they first get to try skillsofts on non-catgirls they find that 20% of the human population have unfortunate reactions to them. In the simplest case "it's on the tip of my tongue' syndrome - you know the knowledge is there, but you can't quite recall it (until later), to the really nasty each skillsoft causes a multiple personality to coalesce around it.

Given more research and tuning, I'd suggest you clean this up so only 5% can't safely use skillsofts, and that you have a reliable way to recognise this group.  In a further 5% they might have the problem that skillsofts don't 'stick' and fade after a few months; with enough research these could be identified, too.

For extra fun, say 5% of the population are 'skillsoft masters'. These have some major advantage in using skillsofts, so some problem others have either isn't there, or is far more minor, for them. Needing less training might be one example, as might integrating them with their own knowledge and experiences.  I'd suggest there be, after research, a quick test to recognise these people.

These percentages are intended to match the way people handle skills and other things in the general population.
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I'd suggest that when they first get to try skillsofts on non-catgirls they find that 20% of the human population have unfortunate reactions to them. In the simplest case "it's on the tip of my tongue' syndrome - you know the knowledge is there, but you can't quite recall it (until later), to the really nasty each skillsoft causes a multiple personality to coalesce around it.

Given more research and tuning, I'd suggest you clean this up so only 5% can't safely use skillsofts, and that you have a reliable way to recognise this group.  In a further 5% they might have the problem that skillsofts don't 'stick' and fade after a few months; with enough research these could be identified, too.

For extra fun, say 5% of the population are 'skillsoft masters'. These have some major advantage in using skillsofts, so some problem others have either isn't there, or is far more minor, for them. Needing less training might be one example, as might integrating them with their own knowledge and experiences.  I'd suggest there be, after research, a quick test to recognise these people.

These percentages are intended to match the way people handle skills and other things in the general population.
This could possibly also be modified as to whether someone is biomodded or not... and it would depend on the type of biomod. Some biomods it won't take at all... some it will seem to take successfully, but the skill fades completely even with heavy use in the grafting period. And some find that, pre-mod, they had one reaction, yet post-mod, they have a completely different reaction, although it's still not like most of the "baseline" installs.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Maybe combining some of the suggested disadvantages for the tech that is developed in the first decade of the project... everything beyond this time is "deep infinity" and can be sorted out later.

(the exact numbers are still open to discussion)

Proposed limits:
  1. The tech does implant foreign memories and 'skills', so it needs time to integrate the skills to your own memory. Because of this its more like a "speed up/quick-learning" tech than an "instant knowledge". The percentage of the normal learning time is determined by the amount of physical action and understanding a skill would need. Pure 'fact memorization' can be done very quickly (down to 5% original learning time?), skill that require understanding can be learned faster (10%-20% original time?), skills that require lots of physical interaction are just assisted in the learning process (25%-50% learning time?).
  2. The original technology was mostly used on catgirls by the Boskones, CI developed on it purely for catgirls. Because of this the technology works not as good for other biomods or unmodded humans. For some it creates headaches, others risk even brain damage when using it often. Adaptation and optimization might allow to lessen the side effects for some 'users', but not for all of them.
  3. "Not 100%." Quicklearned facts and skills might be not complete. Learning such skilles based on other quicklearned skills without working with the skills enough increase the chance filling your brain with a lot of useless and very distracting memory fragments.

Limit 1 makes it absolutely necessary to have good teachers for the quicklearned skills to make full usage of the whole thing. Limit 2 is more a technical thing, but one that cannot be resolved that easy without decades of research. Limit 3 makes "genius from nothing" a risky thing. Wink

What do you think?

You might like to look at this:

The Brain Machine/The Fourth "R": http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/ ... es=1513061

George O. Smith, better known for "Venus Equilateral" series of Solar System humorous technology & space opera.

I think this appeared about 1959...

Fast teaching tech.
This appears in my capacity as the author of Dr Scure. [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind